HELP! How to store lots of paints.

Wmossuk

Hey guys

I really enjoyed painting however now I have managed to collect quite a number of paint pots. It’s become a hassle to be able to dig through and find the paints that I wants as they are all in a very useful box at the moment.

It’s become a hassle to be able to dig through and find the paints that I want as they are all in a very useful box at the moment.

What solutions do you guys have for storing your paints I’ve seen some really cool things like wall mounted stuff etc. 

One issue for me is that I rent and I only have a one bed flat so space is at a minimum. It would be ideal to be able to have something that I can store away? 

if you want to wall mount, a great solution is to do an amazon search for nail polish racks.  they are clear acrylic and can be wall mounted.  each rack when full holds between 60 and 80 bottles of paint (slightly less of the GW paint pots)

Now for me to take my own advice and purchase more of them for myself

Sean B.

I use the fingernail polish racks on my wall.  

However, it doesn’t sound like what you are looking for.  An expansive option might be the new GW project boxes, which is what I’m going to get my son when he goes off to college next year because he should be able to store it under his bed.

This model from Frontier Gaming looks very nice and doubles as a paint station.  https://frontierwargaming.com/?product=paint-case

Here’s another option.  https://www.warmage.de/info/Kickstarter-Information.html

An easier, cheaper option is probably stackable containers. https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-14138606-Layer-Stack-8-Inch/dp/B00NIVBEDA/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NIVBEDA&pd_rd_r=e96e42f4-1dee-11e9-adca-a56a88eb2f80&pd_rd_w=uGqJj&pd_rd_wg=CDItL&pf_rd_p=3f9889ac-6c45-46e8-b515-3af650557207&pf_rd_r=NZ8X3RRSTBHMXCSZNWET&psc=1&refRID=NZ8X3RRSTBHMXCSZNWET

Good luck.

Same issue here. I work with an active box and a reserve box. Active box contains the 10-15 paints I know I’m going to use with the 5 models I’m currently painting. It leaves me free to change it up if I want, but as I usually paint 30 minutes or so per session. It usually means I don’t have to switch it around ubtill the end of the session. Which is when I change the paints for the next time. 

I have a desk top rack now, but before that i used a Citadel Project box. It has a removable tray of 49 paints, with space underneath for another 20-30 underneath plus all your taller wash and texture paints and painting brushes and tools.  The lid also functions as a painting tray.  EDIT:  Seems its not available any more but they have new versions with multiple paint caddys, but ive not seen those in person.

Good for keeping tidy if you only have a small space, or for taking away somewhere.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdf-M5tFJa8/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

I'm in a similar situation and use this toolbox, although I'm pretty sure I paid around £25.00 for it: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-STST1-75507-Cantilever-Yellow-16-Inch/dp/B0108O8HLQ/ref=sr_1_57?ie=UTF8&qid=1548149624&sr=8-57&keywords=tool+box&refinements=p_89%3ASTANLEY

The top compartment stores paints with space for 50-60 GW pots (shades or normal), but I can also lay Vallejo, Scale 75, etc. dropper bottles on top. Underneath I have all of my hobby tools, my wet pallet, glues, etc. I am at capacity for GW paints at the top, but have some overflow in the bottom for little used or duplicate paints and I'm mostly buying Scale 75 and Vallejo at the moment, as I much prefer dropper bottles.

Plastic boxes would work just as well for storage, but this option is slightly better for access once you're working due to the cantilever design. Just pick it up, open it out and you have access to everything you need without spreading boxes everywhere. Probably more than I'd pay at £40.00, but I'm sure there'd be something similar out there at a lower price if you're interested.

11 hours ago, Wmossuk said:

Hey guys

I really enjoyed painting however now I have managed to collect quite a number of paint pots. It’s become a hassle to be able to dig through and find the paints that I wants as they are all in a very useful box at the moment.

It’s become a hassle to be able to dig through and find the paints that I want as they are all in a very useful box at the moment.

What solutions do you guys have for storing your paints I’ve seen some really cool things like wall mounted stuff etc. 

One issue for me is that I rent and I only have a one bed flat so space is at a minimum. It would be ideal to be able to have something that I can store away? 

I put a dab of paint on the top of each lid, so when packed in and looking down, I just look for the colour. Doesn't matter what box they are in then.

I have a dedicated drawer where I sort my paints by colour. I used a similar system in a couple of Really Useful Boxes (the A4 four litre ones) when I was limited to a single room. Keeping them in order and always putting them back in the same place makes the whole thing much easier. You can also get free standing MDF paint racks for GW and valeijo paints reasonably cheaply off ebay.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 9:46 AM, Tzaangor Management said:

I'm in a similar situation and use this toolbox, although I'm pretty sure I paid around £25.00 for it: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-STST1-75507-Cantilever-Yellow-16-Inch/dp/B0108O8HLQ/ref=sr_1_57?ie=UTF8&qid=1548149624&sr=8-57&keywords=tool+box&refinements=p_89%3ASTANLEY

The top compartment stores paints with space for 50-60 GW pots (shades or normal), but I can also lay Vallejo, Scale 75, etc. dropper bottles on top. Underneath I have all of my hobby tools, my wet pallet, glues, etc. I am at capacity for GW paints at the top, but have some overflow in the bottom for little used or duplicate paints and I'm mostly buying Scale 75 and Vallejo at the moment, as I much prefer dropper bottles.

Plastic boxes would work just as well for storage, but this option is slightly better for access once you're working due to the cantilever design. Just pick it up, open it out and you have access to everything you need without spreading boxes everywhere. Probably more than I'd pay at £40.00, but I'm sure there'd be something similar out there at a lower price if you're interested.

Thank you so much. I ended up getting basically the same thing but from Clas Ohlson for £25. Such a great shout as I love how much space it gives me and also how easy it is to store away. So thank you @Tzaangor Management

https://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-Toolbox/40-7072

Archived