Help with getting the best white undercoat

TheParallax

Hello Everyone ,   I am wondering if you guys could help me in selecting what best to use as a white undercoat for my minis?  I never really did do white undercoats before but when I did give it a go I used GW's Corax White. The spray came off all dusty and grainy on the miniatures ruining the handful of models (also if anyone has any tips on how best to rescue these  it would be greatly appreciated). Now I am kind of gun shy to use this white paint again , I sprayed when the humidity was pretty low for down south and it was pretty cool outside , so not really sure what happened or where I went wrong. So I am looking into other paints/primers or maybe giving corax white a shot again if i knew what went haywire and how to prevent the grainy texture from forming on the minis. 

Thank you all for looking and any help you can give! 

GW White spraycan primer has been notorious for this issue. Even under the best outside conditions powdering can still occur. The best thing you can do is to shake the can for a long time (upwards of 10+ min) along with putting the can under warm water for a minute or so (not too hot now!) Before using the can, redoing the warm water every so often.

I'm not familiar with other white spray can primers and if they have the same issue. At the very least they are not as bad as Corax White primer.

Also consider paint on primer and/or using an airbrush.

Sounds like you're spraying from too far, the paint dries up before hitting the model, which produces the dusty look. Also make sure that you warm the can and shake it properly before painting. I haven't used Corax White myself, but I'm fairly certain that the paint is OK. In the future though, it saves you a lot of money to just buy the cheapest spray primer you can find from your local hardware store! And regarding rescuing your models, look into paint stripping. I won't go any further into it as I don't know what products you have available locally.

Here's a great video about using any spray cans, Luke fixed any issues I had with spray cans:

Edited by mcmattila
  • Like 1

Soak them in methylated/denatured spirits. The paint should come off easy.

You can get it at most hardware stores and it's often pink coloured to remind you not to drink it. 

Haven't tried it on resin models but there's a good chance it will melt them, plastic/metal only

• 2 years later...
On 12/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, mcmattila said:

Sounds like you're spraying from too far, the paint dries up before hitting the model, which produces the dusty look. Also make sure that you warm the can and shake it properly before painting. I haven't used Corax White myself, but I'm fairly certain that the paint is OK. In the future though, it saves you a lot of money to just buy the cheapest spray primer you can find from your local hardware store! And regarding rescuing your models, look into paint stripping. I won't go any further into it as I don't know what products you have available locally.

Here's a great video about using any spray cans, Luke fixed any issues I had with spray cans:

Dude i would like to thank you for that post, it saved my miniatures and corax white primer i've just bought, it seems it work perfect when i applied the steps from that movie. I love you mate.

7 minutes ago, patafian said:

Dude i would like to thank you for that post, it saved my miniatures and corax white primer i've just bought, it seems it work perfect when i applied the steps from that movie. I love you mate.

I would say that spraying with a cheap grey primer (warmed, like in the video) and either use white ink in an airbrush or white drybrush from the top  gives an automatic pre-shading that works quite well with contrast paints, and grey primers do seem to be easier to get right than white.