Beastclaw Raider warscrolls

Chris Tomlin

Initial Beastclaw thoughts are they are clearly strong, but do have a weakness in that model count is an issue.

Interested if traits/artefacts etc will make you wanna go pure faction by way of benefits and bonuses. I don't see that they need a wizard per se so that's not a big issue. 

Still, mixing them in with Destruction may be a solid plan. Getting some cheap 2 wound Savages for sitting on objectives doesn't seem bad!

Also Battalions will clearly play a big part as always. Interesting.

I do think it's good that there's no cheap option to spam bodies within faction, else these could be disgusting. Still, with 30 points per model being the cheapest (Sabres), it's still an option though.

I reckon this is a super cool faction.  The fluff is great (not to FEC levels) and the power level is right on the money.  

The battalions are what will make the faction which is cool as until now I think the battalions are nice but not a requirement. 

What do we know about the lore in summary so far on beastclaw raiders? I would like to know more without buying the battletome(for now).

What about the way they play? Similar to ironjawz? What are the differences?

I dont know how much of that can be said without any battles played, but what do you all expect?

I have seen a picture for every battalion other than Braggoth’s Beast Hammer.  

"and Braggoth’s Beast Hammer, an unlikely but strong unison of ogor and orruk forces"

This has me interested...

Nobody knows what it is though lol

Reading through the warscrolls for the fifth time (and comparing back and forth with Ironjawz - these are the two armies I'm picking between) I think the Beastclaw Raiders are the more elite army for sure.

I'm thinking this for 1860 points

1 Frostlord on Stonehorn w/healing pelt
2 Huskards on Thundertusk
1 Thundertusk
2x2 Mournfang cavalry

That's 8 frigging models in 2k points, but it does 18 mortal wounds out to 18" + potentially 4 more depending if you take vultures, and those fly out 30" and should be perfect for picking away enemy casters and things.

The frostlord on Stonehorn won't die. Ever. With 13 wounds, 3+ save, Halve all damage taken, 1-D3 heals per turn AND 2d3 heals on 2+ from the Huskards... Or maybe you just keep topping up the Thundertusks and keep smashing out ranged mortal wounds - I don't even know!

With needing 5+ MODELS/most models to take objectives you're on thin ice with this army (unless you're smart, see @WoollyMammoth below.)

I'm also crying orky tears at seeing the rules for Mournfang compared to Gore-gruntas, what a ****** rip-off. It's 200 points for two models compared to 180 for 3 but god damnit.

Mournfang vs Gruntas

• +1 wound
  • -1 bravery
  • can get command for re-roll charges, re-roll 6s on battleshock
  • same save
  • same move
  • base weapon is 1 worse to hit and has no rend but does double damage AND you deal mortal wounds when you save damage on 6s
  • their mount gets -1 rend (otherwise same statline)
  • has a second weapon option with 2" range, 2 attacks 4+/3+/-1/3!

And the biggest kick of all is that their mounts deal 1 mortal wound on 4+ every time they do a charge. Not D3 damage on zero rend for 8" or greater charges.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However Ironjawz has the greater variety of models if you're looking to avoid finecast. You read that right, Ironjawz has variety: 3 foot hqs, 2 foot troops, 1 cavalry, 1 cabbage - and that's all without counting re-used ****** like cabbage vs cabbage gordrakk. 

Beastclaw has 6 variations of 'big mammoth' and Mournfang cavalry. If you can stomach the resin stuff there's ancient sculpts of toothy puppies and emaciated Yhetees as well as the Hunter which has a neat ability: running and throwing his spear. If you like these models you're good to go - otherwise it's like running an army of cabbages.

Cool as gorkamorka himself, but a complete one trick pony (or two.. one where you blast from range and heal and the other where you just run 'em into the dirt).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like I'm reading negative here, I'm not - I'm frustrated. I want some smexy mammoths mixed in with Ironjawz but having to fork 300 points into Savage Orruks isn't inspiring. Perhaps a bit salty re: Mournfang vs Gruntas though.

@Emicus
only one battelplan requires 5+ models for an objective. Another requires more heros than your opponent. The other 4 simply require more models than your opponent; even 1 can capture an objective. This appears to be the standard for objective based BP.

All your have to do is block the objective with a siege.

blocking_objectives2.png

In this image, a Stonehorn/T-tusk and two Mournfang hold and objective against a horde of 20 models. Even with a really awesome charge roll, I don't see how they could get around this siege. these 3 BCR modes hit like a tank, if they can survive the initial attack they can really kill a lot of the attacking unit (depending on the unit). A great example would be 2 stonehorns; nothing is killing a stonehorn in one charge. You can hold the line for a long time without letting a single model through. 

In reverse, well BCR hit like a tank. You can blow out a lot of hordes in one charge. It will probably take a couple turns, since hordes have a lot of wounds to eat through, but after several combats there wont be anything left. 

People are overly confident in hordes to hold objectives. Hordes get hit hard with battleshock and lose a lot of models fast. Many armies don't even have hordes, and they'll be just fine. 

@WoollyMammoth that's an excellent point! 'fixed' above and an excellent diagram too.

I reckon that hordes will still be a problem for BCR though especially if going 'Mammoth heavy'. Sure you can throw out 6 mortal wounds and do the lords work with battleshock but against elite armies you can blow entire key units away in a turn. 20'ish mortal wounds can murder a lot of things off the bat.

Archived