Question about Vallejo Primers

CaptainSoup

It's getting colder outside so it's time to start using my airbrush to prime my models. I've been using Vallejo Surface Primers to achieve this but I've noticed something interesting. After the primer dries on the model, if I scratch the primer with my fingernail it comes off easily, and I mean with no effort or force at all. Regardless of if I spray from the pot or use a thinning agent in the airbrush. This isn't the case with my spray can primers (GW, Army Painter, etc.) Where I can go rough on the layer of primer and their isn't a scratch to be seen.

So my question is why the Vallejo primers are so scratch susceptible in comparison to spray can primers.

Thanks for reading!

The GW cans are acetone based. They "cure" as they as they dry and are ready to base paint in under an hour (even though I would not recommend moving that fast TBH). The Vallejo primers are PU (polyurethane) based and take 12 hours to cure fully. Acetone is a naturally occurring solvent and PU is a synethetic polymer. They have completely different chemical reactions and compositions. Really they are not comparable products - by that I mean, despite the fact that they do the same thing they do it in completely different ways. You need to let the PU primer act like a PU primer and not expect it to behave like a solvent based one. 

To be honest I've never had a problem with either rattle can or airbrush primer flaking or scraping off plastic models. Metal minis is a different story though.

I’ve used the Vallejo polyurethane primer on a couple of models recently as well but didn’t have those problems. In my case I brushed it on one evening then came back to actually paint it a few days later (I tend to have long days at work so frequently can have a week or more between paint sessions). Like @zedatkinszed pointed out maybe it needed more time to cure, but when reading online I saw that Vellajo does not recommend thinning it, even if using an airbrush, so in the case of the thinned primer this could also be a factor.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think Zed really nailed it on the head. Since the spray primer melds into the plastic it makes it much tougher to scratch.

Valljeo is still a great product line, just gotta make you avoid things that can scratch the primer before the paint is on them.

The paint within a GW can is known as an "etching" paint, so acts in a similar manner to plastic glue melting the surface slightly before curing.  Vallejo surface primer acts more as a "binder" to ensure that your paint grips properly.  It's one of the reasons that if you strip a model back that's been undercoated with a GW spray can, the plastic will look dirty :)

I've found that you're actually OK spraying in the cold weather - but you have to be a bit more aware of the weather conditions, a slight breeze or dampness in the air will give you a poor finish.  I also keep all of my spray cans indoors at room temperature as that'll mess things up too!

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

The paint within a GW can is known as an "etching" paint, so acts in a similar manner to plastic glue melting the surface slightly before curing.  Vallejo surface primer acts more as a "binder" to ensure that your paint grips properly.  It's one of the reasons that if you strip a model back that's been undercoated with a GW spray can, the plastic will look dirty :)

I've found that you're actually OK spraying in the cold weather - but you have to be a bit more aware of the weather conditions, a slight breeze or dampness in the air will give you a poor finish.  I also keep all of my spray cans indoors at room temperature as that'll mess things up too!

I used to undercoat all the time in the garage as a kid. It was just as cold as outside! Like you say, keep the cans warm. You can even run warm water over the cans. I find well shook cans make most difference. 

Thanks for the additional info guys. For my current project I need to use white primer. I have GWs but we're all aware of how bad of a finish it can give which is why I hesitate. Is it really viable to using running water on the can? I hear people use a port of boiling water but I dont have any pots big enough lol. 

19 hours ago, CaptainSoup said:

Thanks for the additional info guys. For my current project I need to use white primer. I have GWs but we're all aware of how bad of a finish it can give which is why I hesitate. Is it really viable to using running water on the can? I hear people use a port of boiling water but I dont have any pots big enough lol. 

Don't use boiling water! Warm (not hot) water in a bucket for 10 minutes is fine. Stay away from extreme heat with pressurized cans! 

The general rule of thumb I use is that if after I've shaken my can a couple of minutes, my hand feels quite cold, the can needs warming up :)

Know what you mean with the white primer - one thing I have found fairly reliable is to undercoat using GW's grey primer and then airbrushing the miniature white (Vallejo).  Though it's more work, it gives a much more reliable finish.

2 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

The general rule of thumb I use is that if after I've shaken my can a couple of minutes, my hand feels quite cold, the can needs warming up :)

Know what you mean with the white primer - one thing I have found fairly reliable is to undercoat using GW's grey primer and then airbrushing the miniature white (Vallejo).  Though it's more work, it gives a much more reliable finish.

This! On both counts. The other thing I do is prime with Chaos Black and then Zenithal highlight with Corax White or with airbrush and then a slight white drybrush.

1 hour ago, zedatkinszed said:

Don't use boiling water! Warm (not hot) water in a bucket for 10 minutes is fine. Stay away from extreme heat with pressurized cans! 

Right of course. I'm not sure why I said boiling lol. Back to my question though, could I not just run how water over the can for a few minutes rather than going through the trouble heating up water in a bucket?

11 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

Right of course. I'm not sure why I said boiling lol. Back to my question though, could I not just run how water over the can for a few minutes rather than going through the trouble heating up water in a bucket?

Yeah no problem, just dry it off after to make sure it doesn’t rust or anything. As with previous comments just warm water, if it hurts your hand it’s too warm. Sprays work best at room temp, so you just need to get them to that, sticking it under your jumper for 10min would probabaly do the same thing.

43 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

could I not just run how water over the can for a few minutes rather than going through the trouble heating up water in a bucket?

Warm water from the hot tap (again like @stato said, just lukewarm water rather than hot water) is fine.  It doesn't need to be a big deal - just fill a jug with warm water and pour it into the bucket. Equally the can might fit in the sink :)

The can needs a few minutes in the water so if you pay for water then this is far cheaper than leaving a hot tap running.

Other people just leave the can in a warm room overnight which is a much simpler solution TBH.

29 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

Warm water from the hot tap (again like @stato said, just lukewarm water rather than hot water) is fine.  It doesn't need to be a big deal - just fill a jug with warm water and pour it into the bucket. Equally the can might fit in the sink :)

The can needs a few minutes in the water so if you pay for water then this is far cheaper than leaving a hot tap running.

Other people just leave the can in a warm room overnight which is a much simpler solution TBH.

Got it. Thanks for the information! 

Archived