I’m feeling stuck with Deathrattle.

Ravinsild

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

What makes you say that?

if you cast it on a second turn of a round it's an automatic 2d6 mortal wounds on anything within 1'' in front of it. So it's the perfect sniping spell and it can't backfire against you! ;) Also it's 60pts cheaper than the sun.

32 minutes ago, Cursed said:

if you cast it on a second turn of a round it's an automatic 2d6 mortal wounds on anything within 1'' in front of it. So it's the perfect sniping spell and it can't backfire against you! ;) Also it's 60pts cheaper than the sun.

Oh nice! That’s really really good. With the Sun of Shyish I have to roll 6’s and my dice are always against me so it would probably average 2 mortal wounds a unit if even. 

After all my Prince Vhordrai literally averages about 3 wounds a combat then immediately dies but I’m probably doing it wrong. So an automatic 2D6 can still give me at least 2 damage a unit. Yay. 

Well I prepared a kinda similar list for the next 2k games with my gaming Group. You might like this one:

Legion of Sacrament - Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders:
Arkhan - Vile Transference
Necro - Soul Harvest | - Wristbands of Black Gold
Necro - Overwhelming Dread | Aetherquartz Brooch
Necro - Fading Vigour

Units:
40x Skellis - Spears
5x Dire Wolves
5x Dire Wolves
30x Grimghast Reapers

Behemoths:
Mortis Engine

Battalions:
Lords of Sacrament

Endless Spells:
Aethervoid Pendulum
Purple Sun of Shyish
Soulsnare Shackles
Umbral Spellportal

Total 1940/2000
Extra Command Points 2
Wounds 128

Simply always use Arkhans Command Ability twice, hope you'll get some CP back due to the Aetherquartz Brooch -  set up Spellportal and use Soul Harvest with him (9+ with 15" Range would be awesome). ****** your opponent with 9 casts and up to 30" Range each Turn. Buff your Grimghasts with VHD. I hope that works. :-D

3 hours ago, Sneedlewoods said:

Well I prepared a kinda similar list for the next 2k games with my gaming Group. You might like this one:

Legion of Sacrament - Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders:
Arkhan - Vile Transference
Necro - Soul Harvest | - Wristbands of Black Gold
Necro - Overwhelming Dread | Aetherquartz Brooch
Necro - Fading Vigour

Units:
40x Skellis - Spears
5x Dire Wolves
5x Dire Wolves
30x Grimghast Reapers

Behemoths:
Mortis Engine

Battalions:
Lords of Sacrament

Endless Spells:
Aethervoid Pendulum
Purple Sun of Shyish
Soulsnare Shackles
Umbral Spellportal

Total 1940/2000
Extra Command Points 2
Wounds 128

Simply always use Arkhans Command Ability twice, hope you'll get some CP back due to the Aetherquartz Brooch -  set up Spellportal and use Soul Harvest with him (9+ with 15" Range would be awesome). ****** your opponent with 9 casts and up to 30" Range each Turn. Buff your Grimghasts with VHD. I hope that works. ?

I don’t have a single ghost model, so I cannot run Grimghast Reapers. 

14 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I don’t have a single ghost model, so I cannot run Grimghast Reapers. 

My condolences... but you could simply replace them for an other 40 skellis maybe. :-) Kick out one stack of dire wolves and you'll have space for e.g. an other Vampire Lord. Should still work the same way I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Run legion of nagash, make your general do +1 attacks for skeletons. Also, you'll gain the ability to respawns units. A list with lots of bone boys (keep them in maxed units, or none at all) grave guard and black knights with vampire lord abd necromancers can do pretty good. 

Deathmarch is overpriced.

Grand host of nagash feels like the best way to run deathrattle

On 10/25/2018 at 8:50 AM, Sneedlewoods said:

Kick out one stack of dire wolves 

What???

How dare you kick the poor puppies?!?

with the corpse cart they’ll get a 4+ save, also they can speedbump, flank, tie up fast attack or heroes... in a footslogging slow army they are just great and pointwise such a steal.

2 hours ago, Honk said:

What???

How dare you kick the poor puppies?!?

with the corpse cart they’ll get a 4+ save, also they can speedbump, flank, tie up fast attack or heroes... in a footslogging slow army they are just great and pointwise such a steal.

Doggos are incredibly points-efficient!  And defensively, they are absolute all-stars.

According to my unofficial, highly-proprietary, mad-scientist, WIP, Warhammer-points algorithem, doggos are actually worth 73 points.  And that value is brought down a lot due to their lacklustre offense.  Their points value considered solely on the defensive side is 95!!

Sure it's all just a bunch of hair-brained mathammer, but doggos rock! 

6 hours ago, Sneedlewoods said:

Sorry mates, I never meant to hurt your feelings. :$

XD 

luckily Big N removed such pre-death sufferings from me.

Don‘t know about @Lemon Knuckles wild mathematics, but 120 points for 2x5 puppies, just to have a fast threat response or counter charge denial...

really hard to present a counter argument. Fill in for horde bonus, extra attack or really cannot go without necromancer... yes, but just for list tweaking...no, not strong enough imo.

sadly they don’t work for Soulblight or FEC

2 hours ago, Honk said:

Don‘t know about @Lemon Knuckles wild mathematics,

Of course you don't know about it... That's what makes it "proprietary." ?

8 hours ago, Sneedlewoods said:

Sorry mates, I never meant to hurt your feelings. :$

I think you're being tongue-in-cheek here, but *just in case*, rest assured I have my big boy pants on.  Actually, I was just keying off of Honk's statement that doggos are "a steal pointswise."  Because I was literally fooling around with my pet points project at that same moment, and had some numbers to emphasize what he was saying.

Wolves are pretty solid, but become great in an army that's already planning on running Zombies. Take a couple of minimum sized units of wolves, a big block of zombies and a couple of corpse carts and you have a pretty slick battleine set up. But that detracts from the appeal of our skeletal friends a bit and I really like the army of skeletons look.

Soooo, since this is basically the Deathrattle thread at the moment, I have to ask which Mortarch people feel works best with our boney pals. So far I've got to say I like Neferata's ability to make a unit flying and etheral for a turn when paired with Black Knights who've been buffed by a Wight King so they fly over screening units, can't be rended down out of an armour save against tougher foes and fight twice, but I started wondering if the other Mortarchs bring anything to the table for a Deathrattle army that I wasn't seeing yet, combo-wise I mean.

Also, gotta say, I've really latched onto the idea of using fast moving heroes to pull large blocks out of gravesites to mitigate the Deathrattle's otherwise slow movement.

All this talk about zombies has got me wondering what people's take is on them in a LoN army. Everyone likes skeletons. They have all sorts of synergy with a swath of different DEATH units, but what about the cheaper zombie cousins? They may have a bit less synergy but on paper when you use DEATH related buffs and throwing some Corpse Carts around you get some pretty decent, well hitting rotting mob of death. Perhaps it's their lack of saves that makes the difference, or am I missing something here?

1 hour ago, Fulkes said:

Soooo, since this is basically the Deathrattle thread at the moment, I have to ask which Mortarch people feel works best with our boney pals. So far I've got to say I like Neferata's ability to make a unit flying and etheral for a turn when paired with Black Knights who've been buffed by a Wight King so they fly over screening units, can't be rended down out of an armour save against tougher foes and fight twice, but I started wondering if the other Mortarchs bring anything to the table for a Deathrattle army that I wasn't seeing yet, combo-wise I mean.

I like the Nef + Black Knight combo.  That's a nice one.  But that means Blood (which offers nothing for our boney pals), or GHoN, or (yuck) double Mortarchs.

Honestly, though it is not a sexy combo, I think Arkhan is probably the best Mortarch for skeletons.  The big casting bonus to help make sure VHDM gets through is really good.  VLoZD's Dreadknight is obviously amazing on big, buffed Deathrattle units.

26 minutes ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

I like the Nef + Black Knight combo.  That's a nice one.  But that means Blood (which offers nothing for our boney pals), or GHoN, or (yuck) double Mortarchs.

Honestly, though it is not a sexy combo, I think Arkhan is probably the best Mortarch for skeletons.  The big casting bonus to help make sure VHDM gets through is really good.  VLoZD's Dreadknight is obviously amazing on big, buffed Deathrattle units.

Blood offers us an additional -1 to our opponent's bravery which means -2 when within 6" of a banner which can help push fights a bit more in our favor via casualties, so it becomes the slightly more aggressive option over GHoN.

And I didn't really consider Akhan. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I guess I felt his model was lacking something visually, but maybe that's just the studio paint job's fault. Kind of like how they painted Neferata's mount to be full of regular skulls instead of the glowing etheral ones in her artwork.

9 minutes ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

Your combo is definitely sexier, and capable of providing an absolutely epic WTF was THAT!? moment on the tabletop.

As for aestehtics, you are comparing a dynamic, immortal vampire queen reknowned for her stunning beauty with a corpse-stiff, shrivelled-up, hunch-backed bootlicker.

It's a nice combo unless you pull "Grudge Match" from the open war deck and no one takes bravery checks anymore. Seriously GW, that was not okay to make that a thing.

And yeah, Vampire Queens will be better looking than a dried up corpse, but in terms of painting I feel like GW just really dropped somewhere with Arkhan. Maybe if they did the skulls inside the mount in a dark bone color or something to break it up more visually. I'm not sure, but there just seems to be something missing and I can't quite put my finger on it.

10 minutes ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

it's his pose, i think.  it is very rigid and a bit dopey.

You know, that's probably it. I guess it reflects his character pretty well?

8noVh8b.png

Okay, I admit it, that was pretty mean. I'm sure he's not rigid and dopey at all.

Zombies have so mb e major drawbacks that you wouldn't notice on paper. 1 inch weapons and low attack count per model means you'll be lacking vs monsters, and will almost never get off all your attacks. They require more points investment to do a job that skeletons do for cheaper. They require more units to start up the pain train, one of which is squishy and easy to pop (focus the corpse cart and win). 

Skeletons need little to no additional help to operate beyond maybe a necromancer (which your talking anyways). Zombies have multiple drawbacks that limit their potential. 

I feel like Zombies start looking decent if you're running Corpse Carts with Unholy Lodestone and Dire Wolves since those three all stack up nicely with each other. That said, one max sized unit is about the most I'd plan on running while taking two units of Direw Wolves and a Corpse Cart or two.

14 hours ago, CaptainSoup said:

All this talk about zombies has got me wondering what people's take is on them in a LoN army. Everyone likes skeletons.

As said above, I think the more efficient unit are skellis. But, a .60 cal Zomber Mob buffed by a vamp lord and van hels brings the pain. Also as stated above, you‘ll want to bring a corpse cart and some puppies too. 

That‘s a big investment compared to 40 skellis and a necro (280+110=390 vs. 6x60+140+80+110+2x60=810)

On the other hand you’ll have a really good very fluffy baseline grind with supporting heros and can now go full cheese in the elite department. 690/1190 points to spend without fear of being called WAAC. 

Also I really like the board control possibilities with 60 Zombers and 2x5 wolves. You can speedbump/countercharge/ deny teleport and if your opponent is able to delete them, resummon at homebase. I had them charge into a whole Khorne Mortal Army, but only engaging 3/6 units in an Trident-Trickery, removed all his charge potential, putting some hurt on those three units while preventing the backlash first combat turn... so not as good as skellis, but definitely playable.

1CE94A73-F5E4-4399-8C5E-CB996C3F1F97.jpeg

Archived