40k proxying acceptance factor

pseudonyme

Hello guys,

Looking forward to the upcoming rumoured Moonclan release in 2073, I also jumped on the Speed freek hyper train thanks to its latest trailer with the zooms on amazing and fun details on the orks buggies.

Because I largely prefer the 40k gretchins to the any infantry AoS grots, I was wondering if the use of gretchins instead of grots is acceptable?

Moreover, because I also prefer 40k ork vehicles, what ork vehicles as AoS warmachines / cavalry proxies are acceptable from AoS players: war bikes as cavalry, Mek guns as gitmob warmachines?

Lore wise, I like the idea that my future grots stole guns from Kharadron overlords ?

Disclaimer: I am more a painter than a gamer, due to lack of opportunity and maybe be too much misanthropy, so underlying those question is also the will to optimize my out of the window money throwing ?

If its for your own personal painting then I think you can do whatever you like, mate! Your money, your rules!

If it were for gaming I think you might have a few issues. I'm all for some interesting conversions, but your entire army would be 'counts-as' and that can become very difficult to keep track of for your opponent. Additionally, it'd all be on totally the wrong base size. Without some hefty conversions I also think it'd simply look like you're using a 40k army to play AoS.

Interested to see how it turns out, though, if it goes ahead!

4 hours ago, pseudonyme said:

Hello guys,

Looking forward to the upcoming rumoured Moonclan release in 2073, I also jumped on the Speed freek hyper train thanks to its latest trailer with the zooms on amazing and fun details on the orks buggies.

Because I largely prefer the 40k gretchins to the any infantry AoS grots, I was wondering if the use of gretchins instead of grots is acceptable?

Moreover, because I also prefer 40k ork vehicles, what ork vehicles as AoS warmachines / cavalry proxies are acceptable from AoS players: war bikes as cavalry, Mek guns as gitmob warmachines?

Lore wise, I like the idea that my future grots stole guns from Kharadron overlords ?

Disclaimer: I am more a painter than a gamer, due to lack of opportunity and maybe be too much misanthropy, so underlying those question is also the will to optimize my out of the window money throwing ?

Conversion wise, I think moonclan grot arms might be the right size to swap out the gretchin guns with. I was planning to try that out myself since I don't like the current gitmob grot appearance. Could keep you posted if you're interested. 

In terms of war machines, I think the mek guns, with some work, could lend themselves well to being gitmob spear chuckas.

Cars for chariots sounds more iffy. Conversions could make it work. Remove the steering wheel part, and it could work as a steel platform. Maybe pulled by beasts?

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you just put bikes on the right base size people might feel you're being "cheap" and just trying to get two armies out of one rather than building a proper army. I think if you want this to work then converting is going to be a big help. One bonus of orks and goblins is that you can be a little messy with the conversion and it still looks ok once painted up.

I'd agree with going along the steam punk idea and I'd hit up google and pinterest as there are likely quite a few steam punk ork ideas out there. It might just be simple things like taking a pack of spears and cutting the heads off and sticking them on the end of gun barrels to turn guns into spearguns; putting more smoke stacks on them and aiming them up instead of backward for the steam effect etc.....

@pseudonyme - I kinda have this as a subtheme in my Ironjawz army. I have 40k power klaws, converted Mek Guns as Rock Lobbers and even a Gorkanaut as a Rogue Idol.

I'll just stick one pic in here, but there's loads more to be found in my thread (this link goes direct to all the Rock Lobber pics, you'll have to root around for the other bits) - https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/1705-the-black-sunz-ironjawz-update-2506-games-122-127-krunks-tournament-return-dd-invitational-review/?do=findComment&comment=188483

1.jpg

Thanks @Chris Tomlin. This reassures me a lot. And your rock lobber is rusty cool.

@Zambo I will do. My only problem is my painting backlog, and as much as I want to buy stuff and there is a lot coming, I am trying not to be overwhelm by unopened boxes and unpainted minis. I might postpone my green skins envy until the rumoured Moonclan release.

Archived