1,000 Point Maggotkin of Nurgle List - Help Required

Imperi-um

+++ Updated 1k List, Below +++

Hello everyone, 
This is my first post on TGA!
I've chosen Maggotkin of Nurgle for my first AoS army. 
I would like some veterans to give me advice as I plan on having my first game soon.

I currently own all the models for the 1,000 point list:

• HQ: Lord of Blights - 140
  • HQ: Poxbringer - 120

• Battleline: 5x Blightkings - 160
  • Battleline: 5x Blightkings - 160
  • Battleline: 10x Plaguebarers - 120

• Plague Drones: 3x - 200
  • Nurglings 3x - 100

Thank you in advance ?

++ I removed the 2k list as I'd like to build a 1k list first ++

It looks like a fine way to start out! I think you are missing out on a lot of synergies by playing a mixed list (daemons AND rotbringers as opposed to one or the other), and some of the stuff you listed isn't the most competitive. But it doesn't matter really. Play a game at 1k with the above list and see what works for you and maybe there's something you wouldn't include next time. For example, 10 Plaguebearers can't really do much; they die to a stiff breeze and they can't kill anything. Basically they are only good at taking over an unattended objective. And it's maybe better to save up your contagion points for a few turns and summon them withing reach of an objective on turn 3 or 4. If it were me, I would maybe drop the plaguebearers and nurglings for another unit of plague drones.

I like your 2k list. Remember that The Glottkin is a support hero. He is there to cast Fleshy Abundance on your 30 Plaguebearers, and buff the attacks of those drones with Blades of Putrefaction and Lords of Nurgle. He seems beefy on paper perhaps, but he is only slightly more resilient than 10 plaguebearers. :P For that reason, he's perfect in a rotbringers list where it's natural to also bring a Harbinger of Decay and a big block of Marauders to keep him company. You may consider a Great Unclean One instead? Otherwise, I would maybe consider swapping out the Poxbringer and Nurglings for a Daemon Hero that can keep up with the Drones to activate their Locus ability. So for those same points you could take a Lord of Afflictions or Horticulous Slimux (both are fast and resilient).

Thank you for your reply Domowoj!
If I were to lean more towards stinky mortals would you get rid of the Plaguebearers and replace them with marauders or is it suitable to have a blob of both?  I do like the Lord of Afflixtion, Harbinger of Decay & sorcerers (pretty much all the mortal characters).
I'm happy to review my list to make it a little more competitive. 

Regards,
Imperi-um.

Plaguebearers are sort of a tanky, sit-on-objective kinda unit and while marauders are also capable of that, they aren't as resilient (equipping with shields, and a Harbinger of Decay help) and they are better at hitting things. So they fill different roles slightly. For that reason, it's fine to take both! You can only cast Fleshy Abundance on one of them per turn though.

In your 2nd list, you wrote 30x Plaguebearers for 360 points. They only cost 320 points because you get a discount for having a full unit. However, if you actually have 360 points to spend, I would consider dropping the 30 plaguebearers and putting in 40 Marauders and a Harbinger. I guess I lean toward Marauders over Plaguebearers most of the time because I feel as if plaguebearers have a narrower scope of usefulness and I use my contagion points to bring them in anyway. That said, if I didn't have fleshy abundance and a harbinger, I would definitely take the plaguebearers...

..or a unit of 40 plague monks!

++ UPDATED 1k LIST ++

After reading through some articles I'm really starting to like Marauders!
Summoning in some Plaguebearers for later objective grabbing sounds fun and sneaky.

My store has a 1k tournament coming up. Do you think this list would be alright?

• HQ:                   Lord of Blights - 140   (Command Ability: Virulent Contagion: -1 Rend = 3x attacks at -2 rend and 2 damage)
  • HQ:                   Rotbringer Sorcerer - 120                                            (Artefact: Muttergrub: Allows an additional spell to be cast)
  • Battleline:    5x Blightkings - 160
  • Battleline:    40x Mauraders - 200
  • Other:             3x Plague Drones - 200
                            ---- 980 ---

19 hours ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

Regarding the poxbringer, you could get a Sorceror in there instead which gives you the chance to get Blades on your block of marauders.  

I'd like to include a human sorcerer but don't they cost 160 points?
Without the Poxbringer I'd only have 140 points to spare ?

Another question; am I handicapping myself by being under 1,000 points? 

A regular nurgle Sorcerer (the artist formerly known as Rotbringer Sorcerer) is 120 points. You may be thinking of the Chaos Sorcerer Lord warscroll. You could also consider Festus at 140 points.

I don't think 980 points vs 1000-on-the-dot is as important as the constituent warscrolls, ability and keyword synergy, and number of bodies on the table.

Your army is looking sharp! Keep up the good work.

Ahh excellent news! I must have overlooked my Battletome, oops. 

Do you guys reckon a regular sorcerer with Muttergub would be more valuable than Festus? (whom cannot take artefacts, correct?)
I like the idea of casting two spells a turn BUT Festus does have some cool abilities (1" D3 mortal wounds/heal).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 5:23 PM, Oldshrimpeyes said:

I like Festus as a back up to a large multi wound model, like the Glottkin or a GUO. 

What about for the below? With the sorcerer the list comes to 980 points. With Festus the list is 1000 on the dot.

• HQ:                   Lord of Blights - 140 
  • HQ:                   Rotbringer Sorcerer - 120  (OR Festus -140)
  • Battleline:    40x Mauraders - 200
  • Other:             3x Plague Drones - 200

I'd appreciate any tactical advice on this army as well, I may be having my debut game tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Update: I played my first game the other week against a Skaven veteran and won!
I can't remember the name of the game but it was an objective mission with three markers (middle, left and right). Each turn one random objective was worth 3 points. 

Being outnumbered & slightly nervous (each Stormvermin had 2" attacks, -1 rend and everything had a 4+ save).

Luckily the Marauders + sorcerer held their ground in the centre and did a decent amount of damage. The Blightkings and Lord of Blights got wiped out later on in the game but scored a few points on the right. In the last round I summoned 5x Plaguebearers to sneak onto the left objective, which was conveniently uncontested. 

Before I knew it, I was on 7 and my opponent 3, whom decided to call it.  Victory to Maggotkin!
I'm very happy with my list and shall use it again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response!
I gave my Lord of Blights Virulent Contagion, which improved his rend by -1. Due to inexperience I placed him near the front of the Blightkings and he was quickly surrounded before being able to throw his Death's Head grenades. Despite dying earlier than I wanted he took enough skulls that I wasn't too sad.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:45 AM, BrocknerTheBear said:

Fair play taking a win first time out the gate. I like the list and am toying with something similar myself for a first foray into nurgle rotbringers. 

How Did you find the Lord of blights? 

I'm currently deciding between him and a harbinger of decay...

Archived