Destruction at 1000pt level

AmonRa

With the general's handbook out and matched play in full swing, it seems like destruction armies have a hard time constructing list at the 1K level. Though armies like ironjaws and ogres scale well (can be disgusting around 2K) they seem to have a hard time competing at lower points against order and chaos. Anecdotal of course so what are your experiences?

I second Dez this is my 1k list and it has worked wonders!

1k ironjawz

Heros

Megaboss-140
Warchanter-80
Total:220

Battle line Units

10-Ard Boyz 180
5-Brutes 180
5-Brutes 180
5-Gore Gruntas 180
Total:720

Other Units/Formations

Ironfist 60
Total:60

Army Total:1000

6 minutes ago, LordDrakonus said:

1k ironjawz

Heros

Megaboss-140
Warchanter-80

Battle line Units

10-Ard Boyz 180
5-Brutes 180
5-Brutes 180
5-Gore Gruntas 180

Other Units/Formations

Ironfist 60

That's what I'm building at the moment! Can you tell me what weapon setups you went with on the units? 

Also I assume you mean 3 goregruntas?

Aye I did mean 3...copy and paste strike again! For the ARD Boyz I went will all big choppas as the rend is good I play vs alot of order and that means alot of 4+ saves. Brutes I went with double Choppas Gore-Hacker and Boss choppa on one unit and the claw on the other. So far the craw is either insane or sad face so I'd go with boss choppa for reliable damage. Gores get choppas as well cause 3s to hit and wound are nice and I haven't found I needed reach even at 2k.

For Brutes at this level I would go all Choppas, a Gore-Hacka and Boss with claw and smasha. Big Choppas for Ardboyz with full upgrades (Banner, drum, Idol, etc). Gore-Gruntaz with Choppas.

Yeh the 1k Ironjawz list mentioned above is the same basic build (the Ironjawz Battleline are handily all the same points so interchangeable as you like) that most people seem to be running tbh. Looks solid enough, though in honesty I'm yet to play a 1,000 point game and will only be doing so as part of a doubles tournament.

I actually agree with @Thanatos Ares and wouldn't be overly interested in playing anything less than 2,000 points really (other than the aforementioned doubles event and perhaps an escalation campaign). I guess its a solid way to start if you are a new player though.

Either way, this sort of 1,000 point Ironjawz list will do you well as a solid base to grow into a 2,000 point army.

Personally I don't see much potential in Ironjaws. Gore Gruntas cost 180 points for 3 models. For 200 points i could have 10 spider riders, 10 wolf riders, or 5 morboys and all of these should deal more damage than Gore Gruntas. Ardboyz are slow, and with current wound buff to Bonesplitterz they seem worse than regular savage orcs. As for Brutes I don't know. They don't look bad, but I think I prefear trolls.

Things that seem good to me @ 1000 points
1. Arachnarok+ spider riders+ big boss on spider + night goblins with fanatics
2. Great Gitmob warscroll battalion
3. Bonesplitterz combining Snagga Rukk + Kunning Rukk (2x weridnoob, 2x 10 boarboy maniaks and 30 archers)
4. Some mish-mash of units that are good in general.

Any of the lists above shuld win with pure ironjaws army.

You're right, Gore-Gruntaz do seem pretty underwhelming for their points.  People who field them pay a premium for their 9" mobility I suppose, and needing 8" on a charge to get the G-G Charge ability to work seems pretty steep, they would be better if it was phrased as "any charge longer then 4" does D3 Damage for their Maw & Hooves."

I would be more comfortable paying 180 Points for Black Orc Immortulz than 'Ardboyz on their own.

Brutes suffer mostly from their Bravery of 6, which seems pitiful for the supposed elite of the elite, or "da 'ardest of the ard??"

I'm mostly just math-hammering here as I own 1 Maw-Krusha & x2 MegaBosses on foot, but even as a power-gamer I can appreciate maintaining their Allegiance in other to take any of the 3 as BattleLine, then run amok with Megabosses until I hit the Leader &/or Behemoth cap for each level, up until running Gordrakk's MegaFist in a 2500 point game.  Also, this is the first army that I've really wanted to paint, compared to my primer'd Empire/Free Peoples & scantly-painted Dispossessed will attest to.

Goregruntaz are mainly for speed and pinning a unit down so the Brutes can use it. B6 really does hurt with Brutes, so you need a Megaboss around to give Inspiring Presence because the MB's Command is situational/ok. Though it would be fun to see him totter down the board with a huge mob of Ardboyz and pop it...

On 7/25/2016 at 6:12 PM, LordDrakonus said:

1k ironjawz

Heros

Megaboss-140
Warchanter-80

Battle line Units

10-Ard Boyz 180
5-Brutes 180
5-Brutes 180
5-Gore Gruntas 180

Other Units/Formations

Ironfist 60

Do people find it better to field 2 groups of 5 brutes or 1 group of 10 brutes at the 10k level? I was looking at the matched play battle plans, and given the number of objectives in most of them, it seems like it might be better to split the brutes for maneuverability, but I do realize doing this halves the benefit of the warchanter and also makes it easier for the opponent to target the brute unit with the ironfist boss. Curious what people have had the best success with. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Emicus said:

@Auriel Unit of 10 Brutes gives 'double benefit' of Megaboss ability, Warchanter ability AND Ignore Battleshock Command ability.

Quite a lot to pass up I reckon.

Agree with the bits about Warchanter ability and Ignore Battleshock Command ability. Question about Megaboss Command ability though: It reads " If a Megaboss uses this ability, count up the number of Ironjawz units within 10" of them at the start of the combat phase of the turn..." If the brutes are grouped as 1 group of 10, does that count for 1 or 2 units when tallying for the Megaboss command ability? I thought it would only count for 1 unit, but I would LOVE to be mistaken about this :)

Not the Command ability of the Megaboss, that would preclude use of the Ignore Battleshock, but his Go on ladz, get stuck in!

While it buffs all Brutes within 5", that's not very far, especially if you are spreading out to take multiple locations. Better to stack your hammer and cave in the skulls of your enemies!

And you are 'unfortunately' correct. A unit of 10 is a single unit.

I'm 50/50 on my list at 1000 points, like many of you, it's the same 4 units + Warchanter + Megaboss + Ironfist, but I'm torn on how to put things together.

On the one hand I could split my units down

20 x 'Ard boyz, 5 x Brutes, 5 x Gore Gruntas (or Brutes once I get another pack)

Or I can try and guarentee my Waaagh ability and split that into 4 units, giving me a total of 6 on the field.

Alternatively, I can ensure my ability to field a 2000 point force, buy 3 more Starter sets and field 4 x Gore Gruntas and ensure that I've got a grand total of 70 'Ard Boyz and but the Warchanters into a band :)

IMG_20160730_223420641_HDR.jpg

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 1:26 AM, Lucio said:

Alternatively, I can ensure my ability to field a 2000 point force, buy 3 more Starter sets and field 4 x Gore Gruntas and ensure that I've got a grand total of 70 'Ard Boyz and but the Warchanters into a band :)

That Warchanter is amazing! Love it.

I'm playing in the Seeds of Hope campaign day at Warhammer World later this month, which is a 1000pt event with 3 games. I'm thinking about getting the following list painted up to play:

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss - 140
Orruk Warchanter - 80

Ironfist Formation - 60
10 x Orruk Brutes - 360
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas - 180

Total
1000pts 

7 minutes ago, Dangermouse425 said:

I'm playing in the Seeds of Hope campaign day at Warhammer World later this month, which is a 1000pt event with 3 games. I'm thinking about getting the following list painted up to play:

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss - 140
Orruk Warchanter - 80

Ironfist Formation - 60
10 x Orruk Brutes - 360

Total
1000pts 

Or maybe drop the Brutes and just go for 12 x Gore Gruntas! WAAAAAAGH!

Archived