Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ravinsild

How viable is a Dark Elf Army?

Recommended Posts

I’m pretty interested in a Dark Elf Army but it seems they’ve been split into 5 or 6 sub-factions and I have no idea how viable they are on the table top. 

Its all well and good to collect the models and paint them and they look amazing, but if I never win a game even once that gets frustrating. 

I was personally thinking of maybe collecting this, as I have no Dark Elf models at all: 

Allegiance Ability: Darkling Coven

Leaders:

Sorceress

Sorceress on Black Dragon 

Black Ark Fleet Master - Allies

Assassin - Allies 

Battleline:

x10 Blackguard 

x10 Darkshards

x20 Dreadspears

x10 Executioners 

x10 Blackguard 

x10 Darkshard 

x20 Dreadspear

x10 Executioners 

Other Units:

x20 Black Ark Corsairs - Allies 

Total: 1860 Points

I wanted to leave some points open for endless spells or something since I would presumably be bringing quite a few spellcasters but I have no idea which ones are of value to Dark Elves. It would be neat to bring some Dark Riders I think as well but it seems difficult to fit so many allies in now. Not sure how or if I could or if this list is any good. 

Just basically curious about the state of Dark Elves and how good they are or have potential to be :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at the Darkling Covens thread for a bit more advice. 

I'm by no means an expert, but between the Endless Spells and Realm artefacts, you could well make the older armies more viable. Anvilgard worth looking at too for the extra bonus. 

Just an initial gut feeling is I'd sooner have bigger units than lots of smaller. I'd drop the Corsairs as allies, because I don't believe they are worth spending ally points on. I'd sooner 2 hydra, or something to keep up with the dragon like the Order Serpentis units or their Dragon. 

I'd pick up the battalion for an extra artefact and bonuses for having lots of aelves together. Lethal Coordination I think it's called.

More foot sorceresses too. Casting bonuses for sacrificing is useful!

Edit:

For a very highly competitive dark aelf force, you should look at Daughters of Khaine and the Idoneth Deepkin range. 

Edited by syph0n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I’m pretty interested in a Dark Elf Army but it seems they’ve been split into 5 or 6 sub-factions and I have no idea how viable they are on the table top. 

Its all well and good to collect the models and paint them and they look amazing, but if I never win a game even once that gets frustrating. 

I was personally thinking of maybe collecting this, as I have no Dark Elf models at all: 

Allegiance Ability: Darkling Coven

Leaders:

Sorceress

Sorceress on Black Dragon 

Black Ark Fleet Master - Allies

Assassin - Allies 

Battleline:

x10 Blackguard 

x10 Darkshards

x20 Dreadspears

x10 Executioners 

x10 Blackguard 

x10 Darkshard 

x20 Dreadspear

x10 Executioners 

Other Units:

x20 Black Ark Corsairs - Allies 

Total: 1860 Points

I wanted to leave some points open for endless spells or something since I would presumably be bringing quite a few spellcasters but I have no idea which ones are of value to Dark Elves. It would be neat to bring some Dark Riders I think as well but it seems difficult to fit so many allies in now. Not sure how or if I could or if this list is any good. 

Just basically curious about the state of Dark Elves and how good they are or have potential to be :) 

You dont have to start with a 2000 points list. I recommend building a 1000 points list first, play a few games and see for yourself what works for you and what not. 

As others have said: take a look at the Lets Chat Darkling Covens thread for a good overview or take a look at the 1D4Chan wiki: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Order/Darkling_Covens 

In general, you can use every faction and have fun playing. It all depends on your local community and how you want to play. A Darkling Coven army will work great in narrativ/open play or non-competitive matched play. If you want to play tournament-style games Id recommend taking a look at the Daughters of Khaine. They still have the Dark Elves style but are also very competitive thanks to their new Battletome. 

But again, doesnt mean the other factions are trash. Just that the Daughters are one of the stronger armies at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
18 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I’m pretty interested in a Dark Elf Army but it seems they’ve been split into 5 or 6 sub-factions and I have no idea how viable they are on the table top. 

Its all well and good to collect the models and paint them and they look amazing, but if I never win a game even once that gets frustrating. 

 

In my experience pretty much every army you could possibly field in AoS has the potential to win games, depending on the scenario and the skill of the player. The term 'viable' doesn't really have any meaning in this game. I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 5:29 PM, Jamie the Jasper said:

 

In my experience pretty much every army you could possibly field in AoS has the potential to win games, depending on the scenario and the skill of the player. The term 'viable' doesn't really have any meaning in this game. I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing.

I disagree. I made a simple Idoneth Army and played VS a Brayherds army. I lost 4 eel riders and he was tabled in turn 3. (16:9 victory points).

though I guess he made a lot of mistakes idk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
41 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I disagree. I made a simple Idoneth Army and played VS a Brayherds army. I lost 4 eel riders and he was tabled in turn 3. (16:9 victory points).

though I guess he made a lot of mistakes idk

There'll always be a rare alignment of circumstances in which it's almost impossible for a particular army to win, but that's true even of tournament-winning builds.

Out of interest, what battleplan were you using? And what sort of army builds did you both use? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a path to victory for your opponent, even if it would have been challenging to execute successfully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

There'll always be a rare alignment of circumstances in which it's almost impossible for a particular army to win, but that's true even of tournament-winning builds.

Out of interest, what battleplan were you using? And what sort of army builds did you both use? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a path to victory for your opponent, even if it would have been challenging to execute successfully.

I agree though he was very bitter afterwards and was sure there was no chance he could have pulled it off.

battleplan (using oben warcards): The the one where you have to place 3 objectives. 1 victory point if you hold one at the end of the phase, 3 VP if you hold it in 2 successive phases.

Deployment: 2 triangles  Split the army in 3 equally large segments. One segment arrives per turn from any table edge or wholly within your Depl. Zone at the end of the mov. Phase

My army:

Fuethan Conclave

Eidolon A.o. The Storm

Akhelian King - General + 2 Wounds

Medusa (ally)

Tidecaster

6 Ishlean Guard

1 Leviadon

2x10 Thralls

10 Reavers

 

His army as far as I remember:

Chieftain

2 Bray Shamans

1 Bullgore Hero

40 raiders

2x 40 Gors

30 Ungors

3 Bullgors

2 x 10(or 15?) Centaurs

 

 

i deployed my eels, leviadon, the king, and 10 thralls first.

he deployed the ungors, 1x Gors, a shaman and the chieftain

 

he charged in (which was one of many mistakes imo) slaughtered most of my thralls. I hit back massacred half of his Gors (with eels) and decimated the ungors a little.

my turn: leviadon charges and snuffs out ~23 Ungors. Eels kill off the rest of the gores.

in later turn I simply charged his reinforcements with my eels and they died in droves.

Edited by JackStreicher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corsairs are really bad, which is unfortunate because I love their sculpt and own a bunch.  At their current point cost black guard are incredibly strong.  I would suggest a couple of blocks of 30 of them.  

Sorceresses have easy access to +2 to cast, which makes Chronomatic Cogs nearly an auto include, as you're very likely to succeed turn one on the cast.  It pairs very well with the run and charge command ability and the decanter of egos artifact.  

I believe you can build a very solidly top of tier two list with Darkling Covens.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Richelieu said:

Corsairs are really bad, which is unfortunate because I love their sculpt and own a bunch.  At their current point cost black guard are incredibly strong.  I would suggest a couple of blocks of 30 of them.  

Sorceresses have easy access to +2 to cast, which makes Chronomatic Cogs nearly an auto include, as you're very likely to succeed turn one on the cast.  It pairs very well with the run and charge command ability and the decanter of egos artifact.  

I believe you can build a very solidly top of tier two list with Darkling Covens.

Okay, excellent! So which Formerly Dark Elf Army faction make the best allies? 

Daughters of Khaine became their own thing which leaves Ordos Serpentis, Shadowblades, Darkling Covens and Scourge Privateers. 

Would you sub out any of the Scourge Privateers stuff for those knights on lizards or something instead? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 10:26 PM, Ravinsild said:

I’m pretty interested in a Dark Elf Army but it seems they’ve been split into 5 or 6 sub-factions and I have no idea how viable they are on the table top. 

Its all well and good to collect the models and paint them and they look amazing, but if I never win a game even once that gets frustrating. 

I was personally thinking of maybe collecting this, as I have no Dark Elf models at all: 

Allegiance Ability: Darkling Coven

Leaders:

Sorceress

Sorceress on Black Dragon 

Black Ark Fleet Master - Allies

Assassin - Allies 

Battleline:

x10 Blackguard 

x10 Darkshards

x20 Dreadspears

x10 Executioners 

x10 Blackguard 

x10 Darkshard 

x20 Dreadspear

x10 Executioners 

Other Units:

x20 Black Ark Corsairs - Allies 

Total: 1860 Points

I wanted to leave some points open for endless spells or something since I would presumably be bringing quite a few spellcasters but I have no idea which ones are of value to Dark Elves. It would be neat to bring some Dark Riders I think as well but it seems difficult to fit so many allies in now. Not sure how or if I could or if this list is any good. 

Just basically curious about the state of Dark Elves and how good they are or have potential to be :) 

More executioners would be my first and only suggestion as a non Dark elf player who has faced executioner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

More executioners would be my first and only suggestion as a non Dark elf player who has faced executioner.

If they update their warscroll to activate mortals on unmodified 6s then they might be worth it, but their damage output against all but the most highly armored units is substantially less than black guard.  They have 1" range vs black guard's 2" they lack the -1 rend of black guard and they don't reroll 1s to hit.  Plus they are 160 points to black guards 140.  It's not even a contest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would use something like this:

   Dark Elves
Play Type: Matched Play | Game Type: Battlehost | Grand Alliance: Order | Allegiance: Darkling
Covens
Realm of Battle: -, The Realm of -


ASSASSIN Ally
BLOOKWRACK MEDUSA Ally
SORCERESS General
SORCERESS Role: Leader

Battlelines
BLACK GUARD 10
BLACK GUARD 10
 BLACK GUARD 10
BLEAKSWORDS 10
DARKSHARDS 20
DREADSPEARS 40


Behemoths
WAR HYDRA Ally

Battalions
THRALL WARHOST
 


Endless Spells
  AETHERVOID PENDULUM
Role:Endless Spell
CHRONOMANTIC COGS Role:Endless Spell
SOULSNARE SHACKLES Role:Endless Spell

Total 1980pts
400pts/400pts Allies Army deemed

—————-

NOTES:

I haven‘t picked any artifacts or a realm yet, for your consideration:

you could pick Order as an allegiance. Then additionally the Allegiance of ANVILGUARD. If you do: pick the prismatic wall and the Soul Snare Shackles. Why?

you summon the wall behind an enemy you  charged, then the Shackles to lock them in place. Then in your herophade you hope that you roll a 5+. If you do the enemy unit won‘t be able to get 3“ away from you and will lose most of it‘s models (if that doesn’t feel like a Dark Elve Phalanx then I don‘t know ^^)
    

Anvil Guard Allegiance Ability

Edited by JackStreicher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I would use something like this:

   Dark Elves
Play Type: Matched Play | Game Type: Battlehost | Grand Alliance: Order | Allegiance: Darkling
Covens
Realm of Battle: -, The Realm of -


ASSASSIN Ally
BLOOKWRACK MEDUSA Ally
SORCERESS General
SORCERESS Role: Leader

Battlelines
BLACK GUARD 10
BLACK GUARD 10
 BLACK GUARD 10
BLEAKSWORDS 10
DARKSHARDS 20
DREADSPEARS 40


Behemoths
WAR HYDRA Ally

Battalions
THRALL WARHOST
 


Endless Spells
  AETHERVOID PENDULUM
Role:Endless Spell
CHRONOMANTIC COGS Role:Endless Spell
SOULSNARE SHACKLES Role:Endless Spell

Total 1980pts
400pts/400pts Allies Army deemed

 

Theres one tiny snag about the posted list, theres an additional Ally constraint. Only 1 ally per 4 normal units (or is it 1 out of 4 which means 1 per 3?). Regardless of the correct wording of the ratio, there only 8 Darkling Coven units here so one of the ally units can't fit in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kenshin620

Not in a Order Army which is from anvilguard (Hydra wouldn‘t be an ally then)

 

You are right If you want to play DC; you can either scrap the Assassin or the Medusa und get more Troops in.

Edited by JackStreicher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×