Can i use the same command ability multiple times in the same phase?

Iradekhorne

Question

Hi, i think yes we are allowed to do it, but ingame, after o it i see that really excesive.

for example one orruk warboss with banner giving to 30 arboyz and 2 units of 5 brutes +3 attacks on turn 2, or doing the same with glottkings and 40 marauders, with the putrid blades spell.

Or archaon command ability, if he uses his warlord withouth equal 4 times all your heroes can use all his command abilities 4 times?! This is pretty madness and unbalance the game a lot..  

I see it a lot excesive and i come here to confirm if i did someting wrong xD.

14 answers to this question

If you actually read them, most command abilities do not stack. Many are aura based or give a blanket effect. Apparently, people think that the moonclan grit warboss’s ability stacks. I strongly disagree. There are a few concerning ones though and I would not be surprised to see it FAQ’d

I have a question about that topic,

Does Waaagh! from an Megaboss stack? 
And does it affect to increase mounts attacks? (They are related as combat weapons, but I rode somewhere they are just mounts and doesnt beneffict from that)

On 7/11/2018 at 8:23 AM, Field907 said:

If you actually read them, most command abilities do not stack. Many are aura based or give a blanket effect. Apparently, people think that the moonclan grit warboss’s ability stacks. I strongly disagree. There are a few concerning ones though and I would not be surprised to see it FAQ’d

Out of interest why would it not stack? No where says it doesn't. 

On 7/24/2018 at 7:12 AM, Tasman said:

You can use them multiple times.... you just can't stack them on the same unit.

It doesn't say this anywhere. If the intent is that, e.g., the Aspiring Death Bringer command ability only creates an "aura" of +1 attack that doesn't stack if used multiple times, then they should have said that somewhere.  If anything, the fact that they excluded such stacking specifically with other models, e.g., Morathi, suggests that it DOES stack on the ones they didn't specifically exclude.

For what it's worth, I was hoping they wouldn't allow stacking. One of my armies is Idoneth, and if I'm allowed to stack Volturnous's ability  on Turn-3 on a couple of units of Morsarr, the game is not going to be fun for either of us. It's going to be me keeping 3 (extremely fast) units safe behind lines and then deleting what I want to on Turn 3. Makes for boring non-tactical games, IMO.  

20 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

It doesn't say this anywhere. If the intent is that, e.g., the Aspiring Death Bringer command ability only creates an "aura" of +1 attack that doesn't stack if used multiple times, then they should have said that somewhere.  If anything, the fact that they excluded such stacking specifically with other models, e.g., Morathi, suggests that it DOES stack on the ones they didn't specifically exclude.

For what it's worth, I was hoping they wouldn't allow stacking. One of my armies is Idoneth, and if I'm allowed to stack Volturnous's ability  on Turn-3 on a couple of units of Morsarr, the game is not going to be fun for either of us. It's going to be me keeping 3 (extremely fast) units safe behind lines and then deleting what I want to on Turn 3. Makes for boring non-tactical games, IMO.  

Check the newest FAQs. They've been updating all of the factions to reflect that these effects are not going to stack.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:53 PM, Erdemo86 said:

I wish we got a rule that says you can only use the same command ability once per turn, like spells. Now you can buy 10 command points for 500 points and give a unit +10 Attacks... feels wierd.

No you can't. You CAN, however, give 10 different units +1 attack.?

There is no generic rule preventing you from using a command ability multiple times on a single unit.  GW is taking an individual approach to abilities that they deem problematic, e.g. Anvils of the Heldenhammer, while leaving others alone, e.g. Gavriel Sureheart.

Yeah it's really on a case by case basis as to whether or not they can stack.  If they do not state that they cannot stack, they can stack.  Just be sure to check your relevant updated FAQ. I think most of the FAQ changes are reflected on the app currently, but I'm not 100% sure that all of them are.

Archived