having trouble picking an army for AOS.

Goodevening guys,

i have been struggling for over a month now with picking an army i want to play.

was hoping you guys could help me out over here.

i really like sylvaneths but iam reading mixed things about this army,

How do you guys think sylvaneths will perform in aos2?

and how do sylvaneths perform in competive play?

Iam liking almost every army and that giving me the problem right now in choosing what to play.

someone got any tips on how i should choose my army?

would love to hear from you guys! 

have a good evening.

The biggest tip anyone can give you for choosing an army is to pick the army you like the look of and lore to. If you like the Sylvaneth then go for it. Don’t worry about how they play at a competitive level, chances are most games you play won’t be extremely competitive. Even at tournaments not everyone plays the most op lists, so just go for what you like the look of.

@Ragnar Alpaca is quite right here. Even though I'm a competitive player, I always tell people to choose an army you love the look and lore of - especially one you like the look and feel of the battleline for. You don't want those guys to feel like a tax. 

You def want to pick an army whose playstyle fits your personality. Sylvaneth actually have a good variety of builds and playstyles, but they tend to lean defensive with lots of positioning options. Speaking broadly, they play by setting up a victory point machine castle and asking the opponent if they can stop you. On battalions, Gnarlroot wargrove has lots of magic, and Dreadwood wargrove gives you the option of splitting from the norm and being alpha-strike if that's what you'd prefer.

Competitively they're fine moving forward. Good but not in fear of getting nerfed imo, though it's of course very early in 2nd edition and there are (self-edit for off topic opinions) let's say "probably tweaks still ahead especially for command abilities".

One thing I've found is that play style varies over time, your competitive desire and also your experience. Early on (esp if your newer to wargames in general) its very hard to pick by play style because you don't have enough experience to really know what style you like. So often as not a good general pick of a visually appealing army works well. You get an army you visually like and which you can enjoy building and painting. Once played you might find you lean toward a certain style after a while and that might help dictate a second army (or just adaptation to your existing army choices)

I am with @Ragnar Alpaca concerning the quint essence of choosing your army. nevertheless, I'd like to make an addition: 

Don't choose an army without a battletome!

These are in a weird spot right now, often consisting of one or two unit choices and a single hero, being broken up WHFB leftover armies. For all we know right now, GW doesn't know what exactly to do with these and might scrap them altogether or fold them into other factions, changing their fluff and functions. A DoK treatment is possible but probably will only hit a hand full of armies. 

If you like Sylvaneth, go for it! They look good, arent in a bad spot in competitive (i would say mid tier) and got battletome!

My Wife has one and even beeing a very casual gamer, she have fun and score a descent amount of wins!

Archived