Mourngul?

spoon_fed05

I’m thinking about getting a mourngul.

They look pretty good from the warscroll and seeing them in matches online.  Do they perform well in your experience for their points?

Also, I see they are resin. I’ve had a bad experience with finecast resin models, none of them have been nice to clean up or paint and they seem more fragile than plastic somehow. Is the forgeworld resin different? Better for gluing, painting etc? 

1 minute ago, spoon_fed05 said:

I’m thinking about getting a mourngul.

They look pretty good from the warscroll and seeing them in matches online.  Do they perform well in your experience for their points?

Also, I see they are resin. I’ve had a bad experience with finecast resin models, none of them have been nice to clean up or paint and they seem more fragile than plastic somehow. Is the forgeworld resin different? Better for gluing, painting etc? 

Delay this purchase.

The new Battletome is about to release for Nighthaunt and you will likely see new rules for the Mourngul.  How worth the cost he will be is about to change.

Also, Forgeworld resin is very random.  Sometimes you get outstanding molds with good resin, and other times you get wildly miscast pieces covered in reams of their seperation oils.  Better than fine cast, but also very all over the place in quality.

On the plus side they have very good customer service. I once ordered a Vulture Gunship from them that had some minor defects and I asked them for a replacement part, they instead sent me an entire new Vulture.  With some green stuff I ended up salvaging the first and got two vultures for the price of one.

19 minutes ago, Captain Roderick said:

I was thinking of one in future as well, in guessing it'd have to be allied into legions of nagash as it's not in the battletome? 

Hard to say, they have said that all of nighthaunt will be available within legions without needing to be allied so Mourngul might as well, but until new rules hit your guess is as good as mine.

1 minute ago, themortalgod said:

Hard to say, they have said that all of nighthaunt will be available within legions without needing to be allied so Mourngul might as well, but until new rules hit your guess is as good as mine.

Not so, only the Nighthaunt in the Soul Wars box is added to Legions of Nagash.  Everything else will be allied.  If the Mourngul can be taken in LoN then it will likely only be so through Allies.

13 hours ago, Nevar said:

Not so, only the Nighthaunt in the Soul Wars box is added to Legions of Nagash.  Everything else will be allied.  If the Mourngul can be taken in LoN then it will likely only be so through Allies.

Have they said this explicitly?

3 hours ago, Nevvermore said:

Have they said this explicitly?

It was leaked in screen shots of the GHB2018 or from a page in the Soul Wars box, I forget which, but there is a picture of one of GW's official products listing the units from the Nighthaunt side of Soul Wars as being added to LoN.

There is also the section listing allied from the GHB2018, and all four of the Legions of Nagash have "Nighthaunt and Flesh Eater Courts" lists as allied options.

They have also said in their podcasts and such that Legions of Nagash will be able to use the models in the Soul Wars box.

I suppose there is a very small chance of 'fake' leaks, but we also have the full points leak for Nighthaunt that included the three endless spells that turned out to be true so I think you can bet on it.

2 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

In Ao2 I thought that LoN has extended allies. What are they now?

All the Legions of Nagash have:

Flesh Eater Courts and Nighthaunt

as their ally choices.  Which is why the wording on the Mourngul is strange since it should be allowed if it is Nighthaunt.

13 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

We need a clarification then. But I think that the rules are prettyt clear here: 

"ll the Legions of Nagash have:

Flesh Eater Courts and Nighthaunt"

This sort of thing happened to me when I was playing Tau Empire back in the day.  A lot of the Forgeworld Tau stuff said they "could be taken in a Tau Empire Army..." but when the Farsight Enclaves released that book said you could "take all units from the Tau Empire codex..."

The problem was, that you have things referencing one location but not including clauses for each other.  At first FW doubled down and Farsight Enclaves did not have access to the FW models, because the FW models were not 'added' to the Tau Empire Codex, they were like an 'expansion' for the TE: Codex.  So when Enclaves referenced the TE: Codex that reference did not include the FW bits.  Later they altered their rules to allow Enclaves to use them, but that was after a good while of specifically not allowing it.

This is the exact same problem.  The Mourngul can be taken by Nighthaunt, but it is not -actually- Nighthaunt Allegiance itself.  It is just a generic "Death" model with the correct keywords.  So when Legions of Nagash draws its allies, it can draw them from the FEC tome, or the Nighthaunt tome... and neither of them include the Mourngul.  It is similar to how you can't use the old Death named characters from the legacy rules, even though those are officially allowed 'death' models.

That's not how allies work.  They work based on keywords.  The Mourngul has the nighthaunt keyword, so it can absolutely be taken as an ally choice by any faction that can take Nighthaunt allies.  That now includes Legions of Nagash, but it didn't two weeks ago, and the FAQ answer just missed that update. That happens sometimes.

I'm definitly buying a mourngul this summer: I love the mini, it is not so expensive (in the FW way) and it seems efficient for what we know now (already updated).

I think with all the NH boost, it'll be an almost must have. And did I say it was healable and fast?

9 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm definitly buying a mourngul this summer: I love the mini, it is not so expensive (in the FW way) and it seems efficient for what we know now (already updated).

I think with all the NH boost, it'll be an almost must have. And did I say it was healable and fast?

Especially with +1 to hit from .

Or imagine the threesome of him, Neferata and a Lord Executioner on an enemy hero. Sweet -3 to hit....
Combine it with OD and you can bring a +2 to hit model down to hits on 6....^^

Archived