AoS 2 - Darkling Covens Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/17/2019 at 1:21 AM, Matador said:

ALERT! ALERT!

As some folks have predicted the Darklings have been swept into Aelves,  they are no longer sold as a separate army on the GW model purchase list, just as they did with the Free People army the revenue folks at GW have gotten ahead of the official announcements and warscroll builder. Expect to see the Darklings winked out in the Cities of Sigmar tome (kiss that 6+ goodbye my beautiful executioners!).

?

Yet you are aware that DC were one of the few factions that did not see much squatting of their units? They might now just be the „typical“ aelves.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tullbeard said:

Hey, thanks for the shout out! Was a bit of a surprise to see my army posted here!

If anyone’s interested, that scroll at the back of the board contains a super cheesy back story I put together for the army! Would be happy to share.

I do love the Darkling Covens and hope we get some more love soon - was disappointed by the lack of a spell lore in the GHB.

maybe Cities of Sigmar will breathe some life into the range?

The army list posted above looks great. The dragon with impossibly swift and Gryph Feather charm works so well.

I think you have a good chance of getting a nice army out of it. I think the rumour of condensing Dark elves to two factions will be proven true, and my guess is that Shadowblades will be folded into Darkling Covens, giving you an Assassin and Dark riders. That would mean dual purpose cav and a melee hero.

Scourge Privateers are less certain, they would fit Serpentis better.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys I'm going to have a tournament in october and I have two lists to try. I'd be happy if you share with me your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks! 

Mortal Realm: Ghur
LEADERS
Sorceress on Black Dragon (260)
- General
- Command Trait : Impossibly Swift 
- Witch Rod
- Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm 
Sorceress (100)
UNITS
30 x Black Guard (320)
30 x Executioners (420)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
5 x Blood Knights (200)
- Allies
TOTAL: 1500/1500 

Mortal Realm: Ghur
LEADERS
Sorceress on Black Dragon (260)
- General
- Command Trait : Impossibly Swift 
- Witch Rod
- Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm 
Sorceress (100)
UNITS
30 x Black Guard (320)
30 x Executioners (420)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
- Allies
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Soulsnare Shackles (40)
TOTAL: 1500/1500

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

I’ve got a DC army which I had themed to play much like the Old World dark elves, with witch elves, assassins, drakespawn knights, etc dropped in as allies. Now we are seeing a lot of these tied together in the previews for the imminent Cities of Sigmar battletome. So, what do people think of the potential for a CoS ‘Darkling Covens/Dark Elves’ army? I know you’d lose the DC-specific faction abilities and artefacts from GHB19 to be replaced with who-knows-what, but it does appear to let a lot more units be in your army without being classed as allies. Could be interesting, I hope? What do other folk on here think? 

12 hours ago, Redbaron said:

Hello all, 

I’ve got a DC army which I had themed to play much like the Old World dark elves, with witch elves, assassins, drakespawn knights, etc dropped in as allies. Now we are seeing a lot of these tied together in the previews for the imminent Cities of Sigmar battletome. So, what do people think of the potential for a CoS ‘Darkling Covens/Dark Elves’ army? I know you’d lose the DC-specific faction abilities and artefacts from GHB19 to be replaced with who-knows-what, but it does appear to let a lot more units be in your army without being classed as allies. Could be interesting, I hope? What do other folk on here think? 

Feels like a no brainer somewhere. There is apparently a buff chart for the Dark elf Dragons and Hydras. Anvilguard will be a great theme city. And being able to take in all but Daughters in your army without even touching allies feels worth it! Whatever Allies the Cities have will probably include Daughters (my guess is All Order for Allies). There should be spell lores for your Sorceresses and your endless spells will be buffed.

Also, there was talk about the sub-factions keeping at least some of their synergies if not a bit of their allegiance included as well. Cities is a sheer upgrade for Darkling Covens, especially given that they avoided all of the purge.

We don't know the full extent of the Cities stuff yet, but it looks to be LARGE.

Pure DC is a really cool army with some nice themes (unit synergy, ranks of infantry, immune to battleshock, strong casting) but it does at least feel like Cities will offer just too much extra to pass up, let alone adding in Shadow Warriors, Order Serpentis and Corsairs all usable in a combined force with shared rules.

...Plus you can always bring in other units as Count-as from the myriad of city stuff!

But with DC having a set of rules in the GHB, it does make me wonder if they are destined for more somewhere down the line... OR if even they retain something akin to those abilities within a city list?!

On 9/24/2019 at 11:42 AM, Redbaron said:

Hello all, 

I think the allies are still somewhat limited, so you may not get the witch elves (DoK) as allies with every city. Give them a cloak, and they are perfect dual weapon Corsairs though.

I expect Dark Elves to be somewhat consolidated, I heard a rumour of them condensing to two factions, so even the faction options would get buffed.

Anvilgard sounds like the best place or template for you, but it's still speculation at this point.

EDIT:

You'll probably also see quite a few "counts as" armies. There is, for instance lots of heavy cav lying about that has little recourse than to count as Dark Riders, or with a bit more imagination Drakespawn Knights.

Edited by zilberfrid

On 9/24/2019 at 11:42 AM, Redbaron said:

Hello all, 

well time will tell and there are pros and cons. Anvilguard fits very well especially for the Scourge Privateer and Order Serpentis factions. The best thing overall is that we can field dark aelfen armies now without those horrible restraints of the allied system.

You asked about the Darkling Covens... well there are very bad news. I do not know how we should make anything with our Executioners...

Ohhh Khaine see what they have done to your kin... 

Executioners now do only one (!) Mortal wound per 6 on hit and thats it. I do not know what to say, but they fell behind human greatswords and Stormcast retributors. Horrible!
The other bummer about Darkling Covens is the choice of artefacts. While we got interesting stuff with all those cities, we lost access to the grypth feather charm. Take Anvilguard with that 5+ Feel no Pain instead. Is the Thrall Warhost battalion still in game??