AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

32 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

my big question here about the warden battalion is about the lord celestant that we have to take.

Is this the one on foot or is it the lord celestant keyword?

If this is the keyword it could allow us to take the lord celestant on dracoth and use his CA to create a 24" immune bravery each turn, combine this with staunch defender and the general rule for the liberators and we can have a pretty solid anvil line here (2+ save, rerolling ones ignore bravery tests).

2 drop army is good, but the killing units will be the raptors again, even though paladins are decent i don't count on them to flip a fight.
To maximize it you want to take anvils of heldenhammer, which doesn't allow us to get the defensive buff i mentionned earlier...

In this case, maybe protectors paladins can help right there with their -1 to hit to projectiles, and if you have 2 battalions you have the possibility to take the lantern too (reroll 6 to hit for missile weapons) which could help against shooting armies (even though i(m not sure it's enough).

There's plenty of possibilities to boost up some low units but i'm not sure it's enough to make it truly powerful (liberators with 3+ save are nice, but they are not combat geniuses to stay polite).

The battalion requires a LORD CELESTANT (but forbids monsters) so the dracoth one is fine (or even gavriel or vandus :D )

As for the rest, I would not underestimate 60 wounds on a 3+ save rr1s sitting on one or two objectives (or even strung across the battlefield). Also: yay protectors!

Again, since you mention a) liberators, b) protectors, c) battleshock immunity, I would consider Skyborne Slayers. I am testing this, I *say* it's just for fun an to try something different but so far it has been quite effective (and I am not even using the Stormkeep rules yet!)

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators
LEADERS
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade

UNITS
30 x Liberators (480)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 6 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Decimators (170)
- 2 x Starsoul Maces
20 x Protectors (680)
- 8 x Starsoul Maces
BATTALIONS
Skyborne Slayers (180)

Essentially it's liberators strung across objectives and protectors charging the opponent in their deployment zone. Then see if after the first charge (rr1s to hit, +1 attack on the glaives, and if no need to reroll the charge, even +1 to hit) they can chew through 60 wounds (-1 to hit from shooting) + 60 wounds in 3 rounds

23 hours ago, PJetski said:

The battalion uses any JUSTICAR unit so you can also use vanguard raptors. Hurricanes don't have the range to make use of the anvils command ability. +1 hit is still somewhat useful for Longstrikes to mitigate the common hit debuffs. Judicators have both the range and always benefit from +1 hit, but they don't move Aetherwings. 

With Staunch and Stand Fast Liberators have +2 to saves all the time so you may not even need Aetherwings any more

Bringing a Cities unit as your general allows you to take Staunch Defender even if you pick a stormhost (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about this) so I hope everyone has a frostheart Phoenix ready to go.

This book is a big deal for competitive stormcast!

I hope we can do the CoS general thing, but even as an ally its quite good

18 hours ago, Nozdormu said:

Maybe in future Broken Realms books SCE will get something to boost Sacrosanct and Extermis Chambers.

And Frostheart Phoenix with Staunch Defender would be most useful in combat oriented army. But I don't see any good combat list that could benefit from this.

Given that Crystal Touch for Medusae has been changed to "end of combat phase".  I have a sinking feeling They might do the same for evocators, now that theyve sold plenty of em

• Sad 1

Oke played a three game tournament today. Went 2-1 and almost 3-0. Lost against duel thirster khorne with a thousand mortal wounds. 

things i found out are. Its hard to keep liberators wholly withing the paladins to activate that +1 save. Its even harder not to move and get it at times u need it. But when u do its incredible. Got staunch, lantern and civilization buffs on 1 unit of 10 protectors. They are unkilleble if you dont poop mortals. 

it felt like 8th edition detachtment rules because i feel like an unit of 5 libs want to babysit any unit of 10 paladins. Cause without this 3plus save things get bad very quick.

i felt the whole army is pretty slow, even with 2 teleports from the vexillor and relictor. I also not 100 sure that the battalion is worth it. I did great but its also because i know my opponents and i play with these units a lot. Did any one els try anything?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Oke played a three game tournament today. Went 2-1 and almost 3-0. Lost against duel thirster khorne with a thousand mortal wounds. 

things i found out are. Its hard to keep liberators wholly withing the paladins to activate that +1 save. Its even harder not to move and get it at times u need it. But when u do its incredible. Got staunch, lantern and civilization buffs on 1 unit of 10 protectors. They are unkilleble if you dont poop mortals. 

it felt like 8th edition detachtment rules because i feel like an unit of 5 libs want to babysit any unit of 10 paladins. Cause without this 3plus save things get bad very quick.

i felt the whole army is pretty slow, even with 2 teleports from the vexillor and relictor. I also not 100 sure that the battalion is worth it. I did great but its also because i know my opponents and i play with these units a lot. Did any one els try anything?

what was your list? Are you missing sacro sanct chamber elements to get some punch in melee (sequitors, evocators) or does it feel good as it is?

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Lord-Celestant (100)
-
 Artefact: Soulthief 
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Relictor (100)
-
 Prayer: Translocation 
Knight-Vexillor (110)
-
 Pennant of the Stormbringer         
- Treasured Standard (Artefact): Lichbane standard 
Freeguild General (100)
 - General: Commandtrait  Staunch defender
10 x Liberators (180)
-
 Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
-
 Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
-
 Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
10 x Protectors (340)
-
 4x Starsoul Maces
10 x Retributors (380)
-
 4x Starsoul Maces

Battalion: Stormtower garrison: (160)paladins, judicators get shield of civilization + 1 save and hit.

Battalion: Wardens (140)  on a 5+ gain CP general +3

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 126

This is the list i did try. it was a tournaments with friends so no official stuff. Ive played against a heavy eel idoneth deepkin list, a strong big waagh list and a khorne list with 2 thirsters.

We played it like we understood the city's general + staunch rule is possible. 

my opponents agreed that some units felt useless. Like the crossbow judicators, the lord celestant on foot and the 10 men block liberators where super hard to keep next to the paladins, so they didnt see any good action. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeanfluflu said:

what was your list? Are you missing sacro sanct chamber elements to get some punch in melee (sequitors, evocators) or does it feel good as it is?

didnt really feel like i needed punch, i kind of missed ranged attacks or fast movement dudes.  Because now everything was kind of moving slow. Knight heraldor might come in handly but then again im not sure the battalion is worth it if i keep on move dudes around.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals, stormkeep
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (120)
-
 Artefact: Soulthief
Lord-Relictor (100)
-
 Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Vexillor (110)
-
 Pennant of the Stormbringer
Freeguild General (100)

- General

- command trait: Staunch defender 

- Artefact: Mirrorshield

Battleline
10 x Liberators (180)
-
 Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
10 x Liberators (180)
-
 Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Judicators (280)
-
 Skybolt Bows
- 2x Shockbolt Bows

Units
10 x Protectors (340)
-
 4x Starsoul Maces
10 x Retributors (380)
-
 4x Starsoul Maces

Battalion

-stormkeep garrison (160)
Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

This im going to run this week, going to play a game or 2 and see if it goes better. I let you all know

Edited by Juicy

Anyone got a functioning list with a Star Drake in it? I'm planning to pass on my Idoneth and play something new, and its either Stormcast for a guaranteed dragon or Lumineth for hopefully an eventual dragon. I guess there is hope for Broken Realms to bring something in...

Edited by Hypephoon

53 minutes ago, Hypephoon said:

Anyone got a functioning list with a Star Drake in it? I'm planning to pass on my Idoneth and play something new, and its either Stormcast for a guaranteed dragon or Lumineth for hopefully an eventual dragon. I guess there is hope for Broken Realms to bring something in...

Bruh Idoneth just got the biggest buff ever. Theyre wrecking face rn what is you doing

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jhamslam said:

Bruh Idoneth just got the biggest buff ever. Theyre wrecking face rn what is you doing

Haha I deserve that! I've even been running an Eidolon, 2 sharks and a turtle in all of my lists from day 1! 

Mostly it's just a matter of aesthetics and gameplay. They've been my only army since day one (I've dabbled here and there in others), so I'm just really really familiar with the army! I love the gameplay honestly, but it's starting to feel samey, and the new updates just made by whatever list meta, I absolutely demolished a friend's Lords of the Lodge with it. The extra power is absolutely mental TBH haha. That's not really my style, as long as I can hit 50/50 playing casually I'm stoked (I've only lost a handful of times, so ooph!). 

It's also a cost thing. I can get about $800 for my fully painted Idoneth army which will almost comptely fund my next 2k list. Lumineth are bloody expensive! In saying that, I could go stormcast without selling the Idoneth as secondhand they are ultra cheap right now.... Hence the question about the Star Drake. If I can make something awesome out of it and get to be relatively competitive, I'd be happy. Research is pointing otherwise though which is sad. Stormcast appear to be in a really bad place right now, the warscrolls feel like the S2D ones, bland and uninspired. Investing in stormcast at this point is a matter of faith haha

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hypephoon said:

come check the Starcast thread of you want to build around Stardrakes 🐉

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/24554-starcast-the-thread/?&page=26#comments

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hypephoon said:

Haha I deserve that! I've even been running an Eidolon, 2 sharks and a turtle in all of my lists from day 1! 

Mostly it's just a matter of aesthetics and gameplay. They've been my only army since day one (I've dabbled here and there in others), so I'm just really really familiar with the army! I love the gameplay honestly, but it's starting to feel samey, and the new updates just made by whatever list meta, I absolutely demolished a friend's Lords of the Lodge with it. The extra power is absolutely mental TBH haha. That's not really my style, as long as I can hit 50/50 playing casually I'm stoked (I've only lost a handful of times, so ooph!). 

It's also a cost thing. I can get about $800 for my fully painted Idoneth army which will almost comptely fund my next 2k list. Lumineth are bloody expensive! In saying that, I could go stormcast without selling the Idoneth as secondhand they are ultra cheap right now.... Hence the question about the Star Drake. If I can make something awesome out of it and get to be relatively competitive, I'd be happy. Research is pointing otherwise though which is sad. Stormcast appear to be in a really bad place right now, the warscrolls feel like the S2D ones, bland and uninspired. Investing in stormcast at this point is a matter of faith haha

agree, this stormkeep stuf isnt going to make us top tier but against some matchups i think we have potential. But its a big matter of faith. haha

3 hours ago, Juicy said:

agree, this stormkeep stuf isnt going to make us top tier but against some matchups i think we have potential. But its a big matter of faith. haha

It at the least gives us a super defensive build. SCE shooter builds normally arent viable because now other shooters are cheaper and more numerous. So play the Scions of the Storm for Deepstrike charge shenanigans and the Stormkeeps for just grinding up the board

1 minute ago, jhamslam said:

It at the least gives us a super defensive build. SCE shooter builds normally arent viable because now other shooters are cheaper and more numerous. So play the Scions of the Storm for Deepstrike charge shenanigans and the Stormkeeps for just grinding up the board

agree its nice to have and ey im going to play the hell out of it. But atm competative is another story. With ranged mortal wound spam or rend-2 build every where our defensive list isnt great. But if we somehow manage to get back to some melee meta ow boi we're in for some fun

2 minutes ago, Juicy said:

agree its nice to have and ey im going to play the hell out of it. But atm competative is another story. With ranged mortal wound spam or rend-2 build every where our defensive list isnt great. But if we somehow manage to get back to some melee meta ow boi we're in for some fun

ranged mortal wounds are a nuisance sure, but stormkeeps can withstand some serious rend now. +1 castellant, +1 with liberator Stand Fast, +1 with Staunch Defender. Puts us on 3s re rolling 1s. Not a bad thing for a block of 20 liberators for 180 pts

• Like 1

Just now, jhamslam said:

ranged mortal wounds are a nuisance sure, but stormkeeps can withstand some serious rend now. +1 castellant, +1 with liberator Stand Fast, +1 with Staunch Defender. Puts us on 3s re rolling 1s. Not a bad thing for a block of 20 liberators for 180 pts

yeah i love this stuff. If you're on a good position you can hold out a long time! 

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

yeah i love this stuff. If you're on a good position you can hold out a long time! 

Interesting thing to note is stand fast only cares about set up/ teleport in the movement phase. 

The Lord Relictor translocates in the hero phase, so shine the castellant light/  teleport up a block of 20/ 30 libs. Pop Stand Fast. +2 saves liberators on an objective re rolling 1s to save. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Interesting thing to note is stand fast only cares about set up/ teleport in the movement phase. 

The Lord Relictor translocates in the hero phase, so shine the castellant light/  teleport up a block of 20/ 30 libs. Pop Stand Fast. +2 saves liberators on an objective re rolling 1s to save. 

No sadly we cannot do this. Cause it says you cannot use shield of civillisation when you used a set up move. 

ohw wait you might be on to something here!

edit: just checked you are correct. Cause the restriction is "set up during this phase" and you teleport+buff them in the hero fase.. Nice one

Edited by Juicy

Hey guys, does the following list works with the New rules:

Frostphoenix is General with staunch defender 

And phoenix guards becomes Battleline. 

Leaders
Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (320)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- Celestine Hammer
Knight-Incantor (120)
Lord-Castellant (120)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
30 x Phoenix Guard (420)
2 x Concussors (220)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 99

3 minutes ago, Stromberg said:

Hey guys, does the following list works with the New rules:

Frostphoenix is General with staunch defender 

And phoenix guards becomes Battleline. 

Leaders
Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (320)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- Celestine Hammer
Knight-Incantor (120)
Lord-Castellant (120)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
30 x Phoenix Guard (420)
2 x Concussors (220)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 99

Phoenix guard only becomes battleline with an Anointed general in a Cities of Sigmar army

image.png.8eb611358808b8ad8822820ff411aa90.png

• Like 1

I thought with brocken realms they keep their battle role? So basicly i can only take cos ujits as Battleline in sce when they Are Battleline without further limitations? 

I thought it would work since a phoenix Tempel is my General. 

That suxx

Thx guys through 

Edited by Stromberg
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Stromberg said:

I thought with brocken realms they keep there battle role? So basicly i can only take cos as Battleline when they Are Battleline without further limitations? 

I thought it would work since a phoenix Tempel is my General. 

That suxx

Yes it sucks.

To explain a little bit more: yes, CoS unit keep their battle role in a Stormkeep. However, "battleline if" units still have to satisfy all the requirements of the "if" in order to be battleline. In the case of Phoenix Guard (and of ALL the "battleline if" in Cities of Sigmar, at the moment) the requirements are: 1) being a Cities of Sigmar army; 2) having a certain unit as general (in this case, a PHOENIX TEMPLE unit). While you can satisfy the the second requirement in a SCE Stormkeep army, by taking the Anointed on Phoenix as your general, you cannot fulfil the first.