AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hello all, I've been playing around with a sacrosanct heavy list at 2k and think I found something I believe will be pretty powerful but would like some feedback on.

Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Lord-Arcanum on foot-180.             General, spell: stormcaller, artifact: Staff of Focus

Lord-Relictor- 100.                               Prayer: Translocation

Lord-Castellent- 100.                          Artifact- storm rage blade

20 Sequitors- 400

20 Sequitors- 400

5 Liberators- 100

5 Evocators- 200.                                   Spell: Celestial blades

3 Evocators on Dracoline-300.       2 with granstaff, Spell: Celestial blades

Warscroll Battalion- Cleansing phalanx- 120

Endless spell: everblaze comet- 100

So I feel like with this list, depending on the objective of the match, I would set up my lord- Arcanum, Lord-relector, Liberators, and Evocators on Dracolines on the board with the rest of my army in the Celestial realm so they can be positioned wherever they need to be.

Both of the Evocators units take Celestial blades in case one dies so you can continue buffing whichever stack of sequitors need it while the second unit casts empower on the same unit of sequitors if both evocators stay alive (situationally they could also buff up themselves if they are in combat danger). The Sequitors do not need to channel to their weapons if empower is cast on them because of the cleansing phalanx so they can always channel their shields for rerolling failed saves, as well as having the Lord-Castellent buffing the chosen unit of sequitors to a 3+ save the sequitors become a very hard unit for your opponent to deal with, and if they do focus on that unit and take it down there is still another 20 sequitors for them to deal with.

Then there's the Lord-Arcanum with the everblaze comet and the staff of focus adding an extra mortal wound on all wounded units by the comet and his Stormcaller spell. 

And all backed up with the extra utilities of a Lord-Relictor to back it up.

What do y'all think?

Here's a separate Gavriel thought: if one does not want to be Hammers, you can just take a regular Stormhost and only take Hammers units. Call it "We Few Hammers":

• Steelheart's Champions aren't terrible for 100 points, they've got high damage weapons and the same 4+rr saves you want in a cheapish 100 point unit.
  • Neave is a pretty solid Foot Hero hunter, averaging somewhere around 4-6 wounds on the charge against a 4+ save hero, so she should punk many if not most Heroes.
  • Gav himself, as I said, is no slouch once he reaches combat. 
  • Astreia is a fairly solid mounted Hero - cheaper than the generic version for LAoD, with a pretty good spell if she charges and gets the double. 
  • Cursebreakers are expensive, but you do get a solid hero and a mini-Evo unit for 300 points, which is... alright? Probably not good enough, though.
  • Aventis, Vandus, and Farstriders are the other options, but nothing special by themselves.

Gav, and one or two of [Champions/Neave/Astreia] can be an inexpensive backfield hunting unit. You get a few models with excellent charge chances, with enough hitting power to threaten most shooting units, artillery, or small/medium Heroes. Not as powerful as Evo bomb, obviously, but also a far lower price point. Then, the rest of your army can have Staunch and your Artifact of choice - plus Staunch also works on the Hammers units if you get in range.

So you could take a solid frontline build with Staunch + Libs/Seqs/etc that marches up the field, shooting and contesting objectives, and if they ever leave their backline open, or leave objectives with minimal defense, or you open up a flank, you send in the crack Hammers to hit a specific target. Perhaps worth testing.

5 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

Re: Vandus.

I’ve been messing around with Vandus in casual games lately and he can be pretty vicious honestly. You have to pick good targets but I’ve had a few games where he’s been a bit of a wrecking ball.

Oh wait, his weapon is flat 3 damage, you're right that's quite good. I thought it was d3, that's worth a consideration. 

Vandus and Solbright could potentially be a backfield wrecking crew if left unattended. It's more expensive than Gav + 10 Evos and not quite as damaging, but it frees up the rest of your list building and doesn't pigeonhole your main army.

Ahhhh my man !

Tested it also but i launched 20 sequitors and 10 evocators together with him.... well they didnt need him.... but i wrecked a nighthaunt list with mortach and looots of reapers. And wrecked a legion of nagash list with lots of direwolves and spirit hosts.

I have to test vandus with lowered units . I think he ll shine with 10 sequitors x 3. 

Edited by LordCelestant Imperius 1st
  • Like 1

@Requizen.

You ll never want him first , at the head of the frontline anyway.

People complain about the shield, but vandus is strong when fighting in general. I like making him support your battlelines, sitting on objectives ... and so on. He has a potential to master the backfield. 

Edited by LordCelestant Imperius 1st
Double

1 hour ago, Garoath said:

Hi everyone. I'm wondering who plays Tempest Lords? I love all the command points, but I'm wondering if the loss of HoS special character's abilities (like Sureheart) is worth it?

Tempest Lords can give you a lot of CP but what do you do with them?

Many stormcast command abilities are restricted in some way that does't make them worth spamming. Lots of the best ones are stuck on characters tied to Hammers of Sigmar, or they don't stack well (like rerolls, or +1 hit in an army that already hits on 3+), or they are locked in other Stormhosts.

I guess you could spam the Lord-Arcanum on Dracolines command ability to get a bunch of bonus attacks on their mounts?

Doesn't seem worth losing Staunch Defender... which is a recurring theme with the Stormhosts.

I've been considering how I want to play Stormcast and I keep coming back to the idea of Rohan. Medium cavalry and a lot of movement. The mounted evocators with bonuses when they charge and a trumpeter to get them in and out of combat seem like a good idea. Has anyone tried this?

8 hours ago, Requizen said:

Here's a separate Gavriel thought: if one does not want to be Hammers, you can just take a regular Stormhost and only take Hammers units. Call it "We Few Hammers":

• Steelheart's Champions aren't terrible for 100 points, they've got high damage weapons and the same 4+rr saves you want in a cheapish 100 point unit.
  • Neave is a pretty solid Foot Hero hunter, averaging somewhere around 4-6 wounds on the charge against a 4+ save hero, so she should punk many if not most Heroes.
  • Gav himself, as I said, is no slouch once he reaches combat. 
  • Astreia is a fairly solid mounted Hero - cheaper than the generic version for LAoD, with a pretty good spell if she charges and gets the double. 
  • Cursebreakers are expensive, but you do get a solid hero and a mini-Evo unit for 300 points, which is... alright? Probably not good enough, though.
  • Aventis, Vandus, and Farstriders are the other options, but nothing special by themselves.

Gav, and one or two of [Champions/Neave/Astreia] can be an inexpensive backfield hunting unit. You get a few models with excellent charge chances, with enough hitting power to threaten most shooting units, artillery, or small/medium Heroes. Not as powerful as Evo bomb, obviously, but also a far lower price point. Then, the rest of your army can have Staunch and your Artifact of choice - plus Staunch also works on the Hammers units if you get in range.

So you could take a solid frontline build with Staunch + Libs/Seqs/etc that marches up the field, shooting and contesting objectives, and if they ever leave their backline open, or leave objectives with minimal defense, or you open up a flank, you send in the crack Hammers to hit a specific target. Perhaps worth testing.

Aventis is actually special by himself. His command ability work on himself (he doesn't need to be in a hammer list to be effective, unlike for example vandus or gavriel who are force multiplier and are worthless alone, while aventis command ability is still worth it even if used only on himself) and, for only 20 more pts than the generic arcanum, have one more unbind, a better spell, one more attack, a heal and bounce back mortal wounds on melee. He is clearly built and intented to be used as a lone missile going in melee to wreck things.

It's a SELF SUFFICIENT flying mage monster than can do pretty much whatever he want in any situation against every list. He is very fast, is a caster than count as 20 people in two battleplan, he buff ranged units, he is quite tanky... and with his command ability, it's 8 attacks 3+/2+/-1/2-d3. It's enough to hurt everything.

Edited by ledha
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

For something completely different:

If you take Sword of Judgement on the Lord Celestant in Skyborne Slayers, you can get a dude who drops in, 5" charge, pops 2CP, and then does 5 attacks that do D6 MWs on 4+. Not shabby. 

Only against a hero or a monster however, and i doubt many people will forget to screen their hero or monster against a skyborne slayers

Day 1 of a 2-day tournament.

1. vs gavriel stormcast, 10 evos and a ballista battalion (castigators + lord ord. Spread my army out to mitigate gav bomb as best I could, tabled them turn 4.

2. vs ironjaws w maw krusha and 9 boars, 1 drop battalion. Tabled them turn 4. Would’ve gone either way at the priority roll for turn 3. Got lucky.

3. vs DoK. Hag nar, medusa on shrine, Morathi, 30 witches, 2x10 snakes. Major loss, 1450vp vs 1200 so I killed more but lost the mission big time (not even close).

Fairly certain I would lose against the DoK list 75% of games or more. Not a good matchup and a losing battle for me. They feel like they are on another level.

Will report back tomorrow with results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

1. vs gavriel stormcast, 10 evos and a ballista battalion (castigators + lord ord. Spread my army out to mitigate gav bomb as best I could, tabled them turn 4.

2. vs ironjaws w maw krusha and 9 boars, 1 drop battalion. Tabled them turn 4. Would’ve gone either way at the priority roll for turn 3. Got lucky.

3. vs DoK. Hag nar, medusa on shrine, Morathi, 30 witches, 2x10 snakes. Major loss, 1450vp vs 1200 so I killed more but lost the mission big time (not even close).

Fairly certain I would lose against the DoK list 75% of games or more. Not a good matchup and a losing battle for me. They feel like they are on another level.

good job for the good results ! Do you have any picture by chance ? Nothing more beautiful than two armies clashing on the battlefield.

what list are you playing ?

1 hour ago, ledha said:

good job for the good results ! Do you have any picture by chance ? Nothing more beautiful than two armies clashing on the battlefield.

what list are you playing ?

I got a few pictures of the event area and some of the other armies, but not my own games. I get so wrapped up playing them that I don't think about it until it's too late. I'll try to remember to take some tomorrow.

My army list was posted a few pages back. It's a crossbow-themed list with a Celestant Prime.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

Nice results! What missions fid you have? 

Yeah, DoK is a real pain for us, just due to bodies and being able to punch through our defenses. They're so good! 

4 hours ago, Requizen said:

Nice results! What missions fid you have? 

Yeah, DoK is a real pain for us, just due to bodies and being able to punch through our defenses. They're so good! 

Mission 1 was Focal Points, 2 was Better Part of Valor, and 3 was Shifting Objectives.

Each mission used realm rules with fixed features.

Shyish, Winds of Death (6+ , D3 mortal to selected target)

Beasts, (6+ after combat phase, do combat again)

Life (no one except fliers can run)

The last one was unusually punishing.

3 game tournament today with my Gavbomb list.

Game 1, Blood and Glory, realm of Fire vs Sylvaneth. Lost this in turn 1 when the evocators fluffed on Alarielle and left her alive on 2wounds. She ended the game almost at full health and I ended up tabled, mostly from bow hunters. Major Loss.

Game 2, Star strike, realm of light vs Nurgle. Picture attached of the evocator wall killing 6 drones and a unit of blight kings in turn 1, pinning back the enemy army, wiped the nurgle army and it never got out of its deployment zone. Major Win. 

Game 3. Relocation Orb, Realm of Death vs Legion of Azgorgh. The threat of the evocators made the opponent corner defence and by turn 3 and the drop from the sky I was up 9-0. Evocators dropped and killed 2x12 K'dai Fire born. Major Win.

Ended up 10th out of 36 and the Sylvaneth ended up in 1st so no shame in the loss. I'll get him next time. 

IMG_20181006_131829.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, yarrickson said:

3 game tournament today with my Gavbomb list.

Game 1, Blood and Glory, realm of Fire vs Sylvaneth. Lost this in turn 1 when the evocators fluffed on Alarielle and left her alive on 2wounds. She ended the game almost at full health and I ended up tabled, mostly from bow hunters. Major Loss.

Game 2, Star strike, realm of light vs Nurgle. Picture attached of the evocator wall killing 6 drones and a unit of blight kings in turn 1, pinning back the enemy army, wiped the nurgle army and it never got out of its deployment zone. Major Win. 

Game 3. Relocation Orb, Realm of Death vs Legion of Azgorgh. The threat of the evocators made the opponent corner defence and by turn 3 and the drop from the sky I was up 9-0. Evocators dropped and killed 2x12 K'dai Fire born. Major Win.

Ended up 10th out of 36 and the Sylvaneth ended up in 1st so no shame in the loss. I'll get him next time. 

IMG_20181006_131829.jpg

good job for your 10th place !

Are you really playing 30 evocators in a gavbomb list ? I think it's forbidden by the Geneva Convention

• Haha 1

I'm seeing a lot of you are getting some tournament table-time and some success with our evocators!

I have a question about evocator weapon options.  Most of your lists aren't showing the weapon option mix selected. 40 pages ago on this thread, the collective wisdom was just to take all grandstaves in every unit. Is that still the way to go?

Does anyone mix weapons in their units?