AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

It's very unlikely that Chorfs get squatted anytime soon, they're mentioned in most of the recent tome releases, they've had exclusive AoS releases, and there's hints of an expansion under the name Furnace Kings at some point down the line. I think we're pretty safe. Whether or not it's a GW expansion that might phase out FW models is up in the air, though.

I'd say if you're on the fence, buy while you can. I had always wanted a skull cracker, so I bought one. About a month after that the mold broke. A few of the models I've got from Forgeworld were pretty new casts, so I highly doubt they're in a liquidate and end support cycle.

I agree that they've been referenced in a lot of the lore and stories, we got two of them from Warcry, making a main line Chaos Dwarf army release sometime in the future is pretty likely, at which time I'd assume Forgeworld would stop with the Legion. But if they come out with a new line, wouldn't it be sweet to augment your force with those beautiful forgeworld models? Even if you bought them, and the GW plastic Chaos Dwarves were announced the next day, you'd be able to hold onto that resin crack and sell it on EBay down the road. Its a fun army, with great models that are great to paint, and most of the people you play with have never fought.

So I am fairly new to AoS and wanting to get into LoA. I read a lot of info. on this forum and my only real concern is if this army will be available for the future. That being said, I see that many of you believe it will be viable, but my question is why would Forgeworld not fix the issue with the Deathshrieker model and get them back up for sale if they planned to continue with the army? I would find it hard to believe there was a mold issue with this too, as with the skullcracker which I understand can be very costly to recreate.

2 hours ago, IrishCarBomb said:

So I am fairly new to AoS and wanting to get into LoA. I read a lot of info. on this forum and my only real concern is if this army will be available for the future. That being said, I see that many of you believe it will be viable, but my question is why would Forgeworld not fix the issue with the Deathshrieker model and get them back up for sale if they planned to continue with the army? I would find it hard to believe there was a mold issue with this too, as with the skullcracker which I understand can be very costly to recreate.

Forge World doesn't make new molds for products that aren't selling. That's why I'm not nearly as hopeful as other people here, I don't think they're going to stick around, and I'm sure they won't get an update.

Even if Azgorh doesn't get any updates, does that mean they won't be Matched Play legit?  

I haven't yet tried them out but I think a decent Cities of Sigmar force could be done with them, and Slaves to Darkness perhaps (maybe do them as Marauders and Iron Golems with almost all those duardin ones).

In the mean time I'm looking forward to trying out my K'daai Fireborn again, even though the allied Sorcerer Lord can't buff them anymore.  Maybe Lifeswarm behind them would be good.  I like that allied Blue Scribes though for any Endless Spell casting.   

Not sure if we're allowed to post things for sale or trade up here, but I'm thinning out my Azgorh a little bit (cuz I bought into Epic and 30k Iron Warriors).

I have a kitbashed Magma Cannon, an old metal Chaos Dwarf Whirlwind and a Tenderizer (both used as Skullcracker Engines), and 3 of the original Bull Centaur Renders.  If anyone has a Land Raider(s), Contemptor Dreadnought (s), Epic Vindicators/Basilisks/Reaver or Warlord Titan, let me know or make me an offer(s)!

IMG_9688.JPG

IMG_9694.JPG

IMG_9700.JPG

IMG_9710.JPG

46 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Even if Azgorh doesn't get any updates, does that mean they won't be Matched Play legit?  

I haven't yet tried them out but I think a decent Cities of Sigmar force could be done with them, and Slaves to Darkness perhaps (maybe do them as Marauders and Iron Golems with almost all those duardin ones).

In the mean time I'm looking forward to trying out my K'daai Fireborn again, even though the allied Sorcerer Lord can't buff them anymore.  Maybe Lifeswarm behind them would be good.  I like that allied Blue Scribes though for any Endless Spell casting.   

Not sure if we're allowed to post things for sale or trade up here, but I'm thinning out my Azgorh a little bit (cuz I bought into Epic and 30k Iron Warriors).

I have a kitbashed Magma Cannon, an old metal Chaos Dwarf Whirlwind and a Tenderizer (both used as Skullcracker Engines), and 3 of the original Bull Centaur Renders.  If anyone has a Land Raider(s), Contemptor Dreadnought (s), Epic Vindicators/Basilisks/Reaver or Warlord Titan, let me know or make me an offer(s)!

IMG_9688.JPG

IMG_9694.JPG

IMG_9700.JPG

IMG_9710.JPG

If they're not included in the next General's Handbook then they're no longer legit. They're safe until the next GH comes out.

On 4/15/2020 at 2:37 AM, Grdaat said:

Forge World doesn't make new molds for products that aren't selling. That's why I'm not nearly as hopeful as other people here, I don't think they're going to stick around, and I'm sure they won't get an update.

Yeah, I am concerned about that. I did send a notice to Forgeworld two nights ago and they got back to me today. I expressed my hesitation to invest in an army (especially an expensive one) with so many rumors of phasing the army out. I also questioned them as to where the Deathshrieker Rocket was and why it hadn't been restocked. Here was their exact response - 

Many thanks for your email

Regarding the rumours concerning the Legions of Azgorh, I believe this to be false but I can understand where this concern may have developed into what it is.

We have had several emails recently regarding the Deathshrieker rocket launcher being removed from our range. 

This is a fact, sadly The Deathshrieker has been removed from our range but only due to production issues. 

Please understand that the Deathshrieker being removed from our range was a necessary call for production issues not because we have plans to retire the range. 

Currently we have no visible plans to remove any other items from the range. 

I stay at your disposal.

Kind Regards

Francois

• Like 1

Those Sons of Behemat allies could be a really great wall to tie things up while all my magma cannons open up on them lol. I know there will be a lot more specualtion when we actually see their stat lines but you guys hopeful they will be a little boost for the army lists? We traditionally did modify some gargants for war anyways so we could probably make it work lore wise.

Edited by Browncoat89

I'm curious to see how many points a Mega-Gargant is.  They look so huge, and I bet they'll have impressive stats...will they be over 400 points?  Going by what Imperial Knights cost in 40k, I don't think anyone can quite fit 4 into an army over there in that game.  Usually 3 with a couple other little ones, or 4 big ones.

Should be fun to see one with the Thermal Rider Cloak !

But yeah, to have an allied one to really gum up the enemy advance would be great.  Put all kinds of blades, bull heads and flamey Chaos symbols on him to make the closest thing to a K'daai Destroyer that we'll get.

20 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm curious to see how many points a Mega-Gargant is.  They look so huge, and I bet they'll have impressive stats...will they be over 400 points?  Going by what Imperial Knights cost in 40k, I don't think anyone can quite fit 4 into an army over there in that game.  Usually 3 with a couple other little ones, or 4 big ones.

But yeah, to have an allied one to really gum up the enemy advance would be great.  Put all kinds of blades, bull heads and flamey Chaos symbols on him to make the closest thing to a K'daai Destroyer that we'll get.

I think the sons might be more in line with a Siege Gargant than anything else, but they still need some flames painted on them. 

On 4/19/2020 at 5:22 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

I don't know how many points they will be in regards to allies but the warhammer community page did say that any army in the game could include one of them in their lists, whether or not it will be effective is a different story.

On 4/16/2020 at 1:29 PM, Grdaat said:

Yeah I am actually currently converting my army to run as Slaves to Darkness until we get a new battletome with officially updated fluff. I figure that way if they get discontinued it won't effect me at all and if we do ever get a battletome I can easily just go back to running the faction specific rules. I'm also doing it because they really started altering a lot of the army without updating the fluff at all to tell us why. I'm thinking I can actually make a way more lore friendly version of the army based on a StD army than I can with the compendium, based on the last official 8th edition lore. 

These are the substitutions I am planning to make:

• Hobgoblin cutthroats - mauraders / cultists (same base size)
  • Hobgoblin wolf riders - maurader horsemen (same base size)
  • Chaos dwarf infantry - chaos warriors 
  • Black orcs - chaos chosen? maybe reverse this with the chaos dwarves above.
  • Drazhoath - chaos sorcerer lord on a manticore (the base is the same size even if the wingspan is way wider, can just play by base)
  • Shar'tor - chaos lord on karkadrak (same base size) 
  • Demonsmith - chaos sorcerer lord or maybe even run as gaunt summoners
  • Skullcracker - gorebeast chariot (same base size)
  • K'daai - Demon Prince or Chaos spawn 
  • Dreadquake mortar - hellcannon
  • If I ever really wanted to run my magma cannons in a fluff list I could take the black smoke battery mercenary company 
  • Bull centaur renders - chaos knights (this is the only substitution I'm super super concerned about making work. I just don't think the centaurs would fit on the smaller bases.
  • Custom mod a chaos warshrine to be all Hashut themed and maybe custom mod some of the endless spells to have the symbol of Hashut rather than the general chaos symbol.
  • Maybe custom mod a K'daai Destroyer model to run as a slaughter brute, soul grinder, votex beast, war mammoth, etc

This is just the basics of the army idea to utilize all the Chaos Dwarf models I already have and keep them releveant, updated, and competitive if the army gets discontinued. I figure it will allow me to run the original concept of big blobs goblin slaves along side a few elite units of dwarves, maybe even sacrificing slaves to empower spells if I go with a cabalist list or just a straight combat list with ravagers. It will also be a way I could field beautiful models like Drazhoath and Shar'tor almost every battle, where as they were never effective enough to run in the actual chaos dwarf lists, as well as bringing in old lore favorites like the K'daai destroyer that were cut from the list. What do you guys think? Any other ideas to keep it chaos dwarf lore friendly, on different substitutions, or anything like that? I'm gonna start working on lists and see what synergies I can come up with. 

Edited by Browncoat89
  • Like 2

Yeah I loathe the idea of switching my Renders to the smaller Knight bases.  I run Khorne though and they could be Skullcrushers (they should be doing mortal wounds when trampling into enemies anyways).  But Draz as the Manticore Sorcerer is perfect, I do that sometimes already as an ally, since he's actually better as that unit, and less points!

I hadn't though of K'daai as spawn, that's a great idea.  All the little hobgobs as marauders makes sense.  I have only 40 Fireglaives and them as marauders is just not satisfactory.  Remounting them on little horse for the shooty rider ones is okay but too much work and dang it, just not good.  Guess they can be for Cities of Sigmar.

Shartor as a Karkadrak lord though, hadn't thought of that one!  Also great for a Khorne army.

1 hour ago, Browncoat89 said:

Yeah I am actually currently converting my army to run as Slaves to Darkness until we get a new battletome with officially updated fluff. I figure that way if they get discontinued it won't effect me at all and if we do ever get a battletome I can easily just go back to running the faction specific rules. I'm also doing it because they really started altering a lot of the army without updating the fluff at all to tell us why. I'm thinking I can actually make a way more lore friendly version of the army based on a StD army than I can with the compendium, based on the last official 8th edition lore. 

These are the substitutions I am planning to make:

• Hobgoblin cutthroats - mauraders / cultists (same base size)
  • Hobgoblin wolf riders - maurader horsemen (same base size)
  • Chaos dwarf infantry - chaos warriors 
  • Black orcs - chaos chosen? maybe reverse this with the chaos dwarves above.
  • Drazhoath - chaos sorcerer lord on a manticore (the base is the same size even if the wingspan is way wider, can just play by base)
  • Shar'tor - chaos lord on karkadrak (same base size) 
  • Demonsmith - chaos sorcerer lord or maybe even run as gaunt summoners
  • Skullcracker - gorebeast chariot (same base size)
  • K'daai - Chaos spawn (same base size)
  • Dreadquake mortar - hellcannon
  • If I ever really wanted to run my magma cannons in a fluff list I could take the black smoke battery mercenary company 
  • Bull centaur renders - chaos knights (this is the only substitution I'm super super concerned about making work. I just don't think the centaurs would fit on the smaller bases.
  • Custom mod a chaos warshrine to be all Hashut themed and maybe custom mod some of the endless spells to have the symbol of Hashut rather than the general chaos symbol.
  • Maybe custom mod a K'daai Destroyer model to run as a slaughter brute, soul grinder, votex beast, war mammoth, etc

This is just the basics of the army idea to utilize all the Chaos Dwarf models I already have and keep them releveant, updated, and competitive if the army gets discontinued. I figure it will allow me to run the original concept of big blobs goblin slaves along side a few elite units of dwarves, maybe even sacrificing slaves to empower spells if I go with a cabalist list or just a straight combat list with ravagers. It will also be a way I could field beautiful models like Drazhoath and Shar'tor almost every battle, where as they were never effective enough to run in the actual chaos dwarf lists, as well as bringing in old lore favorites like the K'daai destroyer that were cut from the list. What do you guys think? Any other ideas to keep it chaos dwarf lore friendly, on different substitutions, or anything like that? I'm gonna start working on lists and see what synergies I can come up with. 

This is an execellent idea if one has the models for it.

for myself I’m slowly converting models to be Azgorh in style and lore, as in chaos Kharadron and Fyreslayers. So far the best way I’ve figured out how to do this is by using Thousand Sons part with Kharadron overlords, as for Fyreslayers...... honestly it’s too easy, their background as mercenaries allows them to be easily corrupted. Plus the name of their priesthood is the Zhargrim(I know Zhar is just the khazalid word for fire, but come on).

• Like 1

Ok, so lets say that I were to begin a LoA army sometime within the next year or two. What would I want to buy with the models now and is there a chance that they will release a new Chaos dwarf faction for GW plastic within that time? Obviously I would like to know more about the whole what I should get now in terms of troops.

23 hours ago, Sttufe said:

Ok, so lets say that I were to begin a LoA army sometime within the next year or two. What would I want to buy with the models now and is there a chance that they will release a new Chaos dwarf faction for GW plastic within that time? Obviously I would like to know more about the whole what I should get now in terms of troops.

If I were buying the FW models for Azgorh now, with future use in mind, I would stick with Ironsworn (to be Marauders) and Bull-Centaurs-and the Bull-heroes (could be Knights or Skullcrushers).  Daemonsmiths are good too, they can be Sorcerer Lords or mounted on anything.  Unless doing Cities of Sigmar I'd avoid any cannons or war machines (those could be done as Steam Tanks with easy bits adding.)

• Thanks 1

Hey, new to the Legion (Or at least I will be once lockdown's over). Just wanted to ask how this Semi-casual/Narrative list looks, as I don't want to be immediately stomped every game, or at least I want to make my opponent work for the win.  If possible I'd also like suggestions for realms/artefacts?

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Chaos - Legion of Azgorh) [2,000pts] ++

+ Leader +

Bull Centaur Taur'ruk [160pts]

Daemonsmith [100pts]

Daemonsmith [100pts]

Shar’tor the Executioner [220pts]: General

+ Behemoth +

Iron Daemon War Engine [180pts]

+ Artillery +

Magma Cannon [140pts]

Magma Cannon [140pts]

Magma Cannon [140pts]

+ Battleline +

Bull Centaur Renders [180pts]: 3 Bull Centaur Renders

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Execution Herd [160pts]: Execution Herd

Battalion: Hashut's Wrath Artillery Train [120pts]: Hashut's Wrath Artillery Train

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

++ Total: [2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Edited by InterrogatingTheCat
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 11:08 AM, InterrogatingTheCat said:

Hey, new to the Legion (Or at least I will be once lockdown's over). Just wanted to ask how this Semi-casual/Narrative list looks, as I don't want to be immediately stomped every game, or at least I want to make my opponent work for the win.  If possible I'd also like suggestions for realms/artefacts?

+ Leader +

Daemonsmith [100pts]

Daemonsmith [100pts]

+ Behemoth +

+ Artillery +

Magma Cannon [140pts]

Magma Cannon [140pts]

Magma Cannon [140pts]

+ Battleline +

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Hashut's Wrath Artillery Train [120pts]: Hashut's Wrath Artillery Train

+ Allegiance +

+ Game Options +

I love running those two battalions together!  They can be very effective, but will take some practice with position and timing.  As with any elite low model count army, objectives become tough to get.  With only 3 deployment drops you'll have a good chance at deciding to go first or second.  

Key things to remember would be to carefully select your Execution Herd target, and if needed, use some shooting to soften up the target so they can eliminate it to pick a new target the next chance they get, to keep the snowball of death rolling.

One thing I might do is remove 1 Daemonsmith, and ally in the magic Cat from Slaves to Darkness.  That unit will help the Renders fight first where needed, and is only 100 points.  You lose a relic, but meh, no biggie.  Tauruk can still take the Armor of Bazherak the Cruel.  I'd almost make them from Hysh and take the Aetherquartz Brooch on the Daemonsmith, which IIRC can net some extra CPs over the game, which will come in very handy.

If you get to play with them, or do a home practice game, post a battle report.  Maybe I'll do the same.  We're all 'jonesing' for a game!

On 4/25/2020 at 12:08 PM, InterrogatingTheCat said:

+ Leader +

Daemonsmith [100pts]

Daemonsmith [100pts]

+ Behemoth +

+ Artillery +

Magma Cannon [140pts]

Magma Cannon [140pts]

Magma Cannon [140pts]

+ Battleline +

+ Battalion +

+ Allegiance +

+ Game Options +

I can't give you advice since I have never played LoA and am fairly new to AOS. But I did want to say that I will be joining you as a LoA general once the lockdown is over as well. I am excited as I think this army can be one of the most unique and varied for a somewhat limited unit range, at least compared to some of the other armies. They can play a wide range of methods from defnesive and stalwart or defensive and shooty to downright aggressive and bullish (pun intended). ANyway I am excited to be purchasing them and they did tell me they have no plans to discontinue the army at this time (if that helps to ease any concerns). It seems they may be getting some momentum in the right direction and I hope Forgeworld continues to support them. Either way, GW should keep them in the AOS updates going forward as they are a very interesting and relatively unknown variable when they show up in the tourney scene. 

I have been trying bull centaurs for the first time over the last few weeks, just running 6 in a unit with a taur'ruk to have a change from the k'daai, and I am finding them to be pretty good honestly. Those who have tried it, does the execution herd pulls its weight? I'm thinking about running them 6-3-3 as the execution herd, but I don't want to waste the money on buying six more if they will just be a let down.

I'm also sceptical about the hitting power of not having at least one unit of 6, even with the battalion buff.

I have used the Execution Herd several times, and I agree, they need the unit of 6.  However I think it's so expensive, since Shartor is needed, it's probably not worth it (as cool and awesome as Shartor is).   The problem with the Execution Herd, besides points cost, is they only get to pick one unit per their hero phase.  If they got to pick it immediately after they slay the picked enemy, that would be so much more useful.  It's too easy to eliminate the one or two Azgorh units in range of the picked unit, then they're left waiting to slay the picked unit again.  Using the CA from the Tauruk, plus another CP for the rerolling 1s to hit in melee is a way to make up for it to some extent (aside from 2s).

Yesterday I practiced with the Herd at 3x3 renders, plus 3 magma cannons/1 Daemonsmith, Skullcracker, 1 extra tauruk, and allied 2 Slaughterpriests.   This was vs Blades of Khorne (Tyrants of Blood with Rage/Wrath/Fury Thirster, Gigantic Spawn, Daemon Prince w axe, Brass Despoilers w Doombull n 3x10 Gors).   Mission: Focal Points.  Khorne went first.

Turn1:  Khorne just moved up to nab the center objective plus his own 2 in his deployment zone, and put 6 wounds onto Shartor with the Bloodthirsters' flail/lash.  Azgorh then moved up to attack and used Shartor's CA to reroll charges, and still failed to get a renders unit plus Shartor into combat with their marked unit (the Wrath-Thirster).  Got the Rage Thirster down to 2 wounds with magma; Slaughterpriests didn't pray hard enough that turn.  However then the DP and Tyrants all got to fight first (DP just does, and Fury Thirster had Halo of Blood).  So I lost a Tauruk and many renders.   

Azgorh got the double turn and took out the Rage Thirster and Fury Thirster and then the DP.  But then it was downhill.  Khorne advanced with Wrath-Thirster and Doombull and Gors to take out the Magma Cannons, Daemonsmith and 1 Slaughterpriest.  Other Tauruk was down to 2 wounds so turn 3 he got 1 far objective for 1 point, Skullcracker tried to clear the center but kinda whiffed two turns in a row, suffering mortal wounds in return for overcharging.  Gigantic Spawn cleaned up the bulls but did get killed eventually by the Skullcracker, just not fast enough to matter.  

Lessons learned are that when engaging multiple units at one time, it really helps to have a single activation to do the work.  So that's why I think a single big unit of Renders is superior.  The hard part is getting the Tauruk placed so he could strike if needed but also with 12" so the renders can hit better.  A big problem with Azgorh, besides a lack of general speed to get to objectives, is their severe lack of possible buffs.  Even the old allied Sorcerer Lord doesn't work anymore (with Daemonic Power).   

Frankly this illustrates a major problem with how heroes work in AoS in general.  They're supposed to lead the army, but they have to make a separate charge roll to be in range for many of their abilities.  I think an easy change would be to say any hero (or perhaps non-monster or non-behemoth heroes only) can nominate a non-monster unit within 3" of them at the start of the charge phase, and make a single charge roll for both the hero and unit.  That just makes fluffy and logical game sense doesn't it?