AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 minute ago, Blackspine said:

Fully convinced the Taruk is one of hardest hitters Chaos has. (characters)
point for point, possibly the best.

Cheap enough to toss out out and watch them do loads of damage and shrug when opponent sends 3-5 times his cost to kill him. 
(or spends a lot of shooting. either way.)

I agree. Make Taur'ruk general with Grotesque and the Armor of Bazherak and watch him mow their lines down. My last 1K match, he scythed through two units of Sequitors like so much wheat.

9 minutes ago, Blackspine said:

That makes me incredibly happy.
I face a LOT of storm cast out here. I get sick of my PBK's bouncing off them over and over. 

If you nail the charge to get the D3 hoof damage and spend the command point for +1 to hit, you should be able to wreck some righteous carnage on SC units given the weapon rend. And they'll have a devil-of-a-time hurting you btwn Grotesque and the Armor.

41 minutes ago, Blackspine said:

I like this list!
The one thing I see is that the small units may struggle to hold objectives. 20 ironsworn is almost the same price as 30.
Draz is there, meaning battle shock won't be much of a problem.
but there's not a lot to block the enemy from collapsing your small lines.

Let be honest ironsworn will melt against any decent infantry, at least i can try to use our trait more than once 

40 minutes ago, Blackspine said:

They're pretty cheap considering a lot of battalions.
Artillery train is most of the things you'd want to bring anyway.

120 for command point, and an item, and the range on the smith is a good deal to me.

The others...less so. 

I don't think bull centaurs prove enough of a threat to make it viable. They're good blockers/ grabbers, but they hit as hard as a ten pound bag of wafers. 

Problem is it gives nothing demonsmith already gives, so you pay 120p for artefact and cp.

Going to try a few lists this weekend. 
My friend will be running IronJawz or Gloomkin-squig herds (with 1-2 colossal squigs!!!).

I'll give these lists a try

List one.- Heavy hitters

Spoiler

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Grotesque 
Verminlord Corruptor (260)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)

Units
6 x K'Daai Fireborn (280)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 260 / 400
Wounds: 127

List two.

Blobs for days.

Spoiler

Leaders
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- General
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 
Drazhoath the Ashen (320)

Battleline
20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (180)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (90)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 133

No idea how they'll do.  Against Ironjawz, probably well? Vs the Gloom....less so. 

I had three great games with the Legion this weekend! Fought Ironjawz for all three, with some boing-grots allies. 
(pics later. )

We both wanted to push our armies and see what things could do, playing things very aggressively. 

Here's my first list: (from what I can remember)

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Allies

Battleline

Units

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000

His list:

• Mawcrusha: Ironclad, Ignax scales
  • Wierdnob shaman = cogs
  • fungoid shaman = scuttletide
  • Brutes x5
  • Brutes x5
  • 'ard boyz; (mostly great axes) x20
  • Boinggrots: lances x15
  • Gore gruntaz x3

We played gift from the heavens.

Quick summary:

cogs made the battle just a bloodbath on turn one. 

Gore gruntas tore down the left flank, teaming up with brutes. Gore gruntaz managed to do a lot of damage to the Taruk (not general)

Scuttletide kept a flank tied down.  That thing is fantastic! He did 2 mortal wounds to the renders, and five (5!!) to the General. (bad rolling on my part too)

the ability "smashin' and bashin' " used well is scary. He had 4 activation in a row. ouch. 

Skull Cracker just annihilated the ard-boyz. He used a command point to keep them there, and they really did some hurt on the skullcracker. It was great to watch. He sent the Mawcrusha in on his turn, and paid dearly for that. Even wounded, the Skullcracka just went to town on the big boy. With help of the Kdaai, the main battle swung my way. His ard boyz and foot of gork killed Kdaai, but the skullcracka couldn't be stopped. The melee ended with the SC at one wound, and everything else dead.

Verminlord Corruptor charged the boinggrots, denying them their charge and the mortal wounds. Still, they held on. It wasn't my ideal charge to get in there, but if I didn't pin them down, they'd tip too many major battles.

Renders held the brutes for a surprising amount of time.
The general got butchered by the brutes. I don't think I rolled one save.

The whole game, the Ironsworn, two packs of fireglaives, and magma cannons stood back, held the objective and fired. Their mortal wound chipping helped a lot.  They easily repulsed the 5 brutes and 3 pigs tearing down the flank (over the corpse of the taruk) to steal the objective. 

Thoughts:

Taruks without gear are glass cannons. Ouch. Pigs punched 4 wounds on a naked one. making a fait accompli when the brutes came in.

Kdaai are just amazing. Ignoring rend negates the punch of hard hitting units with rend 1/2. Their speed is amazing, however I didn't take full advantage of it. 

Renders performed exactly how i needed them to. Move, hold, block. 

I can't roll saves for my life.

Skullcraker: amazing. cheesy to take two, but worth it. I need to remember I can tow artillery.

Ironsworn did nothing much, but detered him from sending maw crusha to objective. He'd have wiped 2x10 fireglaives in no time. 20 infantry? less so.  

take aways for next match:

beef up the taruk(s), use the renders to shield them.

combo charges.

use the speed / run+ charge of the kdaai. 

Game 2 next.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

32 minutes ago, Blackspine said:

I had three great games with the Legion this weekend! Fought Ironjawz for all three, with some boing-grots allies. 
(pics later. )

We both wanted to push our armies and see what things could do, playing things very aggressively. 

Here's my first list: (from what I can remember)

Hide contents

Leaders
- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Allies

Battleline

Units

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000

His list:

• Mawcrusha: Ironclad, Ignax scales
  • Wierdnob shaman = cogs
  • fungoid shaman = scuttletide
  • Brutes x5
  • Brutes x5
  • 'ard boyz; (mostly great axes) x20
  • Boinggrots: lances x15
  • Gore gruntaz x3

We played gift from the heavens.

Quick summary:

cogs made the battle just a bloodbath on turn one. 

Gore gruntas tore down the left flank, teaming up with brutes. Gore gruntaz managed to do a lot of damage to the Taruk (not general)

Scuttletide kept a flank tied down.  That thing is fantastic! He did 2 mortal wounds to the renders, and five (5!!) to the General. (bad rolling on my part too)

the ability "smashin' and bashin' " used well is scary. He had 4 activation in a row. ouch. 

Skull Cracker just annihilated the ard-boyz. He used a command point to keep them there, and they really did some hurt on the skullcracker. It was great to watch. He sent the Mawcrusha in on his turn, and paid dearly for that. Even wounded, the Skullcracka just went to town on the big boy. With help of the Kdaai, the main battle swung my way. His ard boyz and foot of gork killed Kdaai, but the skullcracka couldn't be stopped. The melee ended with the SC at one wound, and everything else dead.

Verminlord Corruptor charged the boinggrots, denying them their charge and the mortal wounds. Still, they held on. It wasn't my ideal charge to get in there, but if I didn't pin them down, they'd tip too many major battles.

Renders held the brutes for a surprising amount of time.
The general got butchered by the brutes. I don't think I rolled one save.

The whole game, the Ironsworn, two packs of fireglaives, and magma cannons stood back, held the objective and fired. Their mortal wound chipping helped a lot.  They easily repulsed the 5 brutes and 3 pigs tearing down the flank (over the corpse of the taruk) to steal the objective. 

Thoughts:

Taruks without gear are glass cannons. Ouch. Pigs punched 4 wounds on a naked one. making a fait accompli when the brutes came in.

Kdaai are just amazing. Ignoring rend negates the punch of hard hitting units with rend 1/2. Their speed is amazing, however I didn't take full advantage of it. 

Renders performed exactly how i needed them to. Move, hold, block. 

I can't roll saves for my life.

Skullcraker: amazing. cheesy to take two, but worth it. I need to remember I can tow artillery.

Ironsworn did nothing much, but detered him from sending maw crusha to objective. He'd have wiped 2x10 fireglaives in no time. 20 infantry? less so.  

take aways for next match:

beef up the taruk(s), use the renders to shield them.

combo charges.

use the speed / run+ charge of the kdaai. 

Game 2 next.

Sounds like a good learning experience. K'Daai are definitely awesome, consider taking 2 units of 3 so you can flank a unit and "Kiss of Fire" them to death. Maybe drop the second Taur'ruk for another unit of K'Daai?

7 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

Sounds like a good learning experience. K'Daai are definitely awesome, consider taking 2 units of 3 so you can flank a unit and "Kiss of Fire" them to death. Maybe drop the second Taur'ruk for another unit of K'Daai?

For sure. I'm enjoying them a lot.
Taruks are great (if I could roll dice....) but are more there to clip the side.

I'll get to game 2-3. A pairing I liked was Grotesque & Grphy feather. 
I ended up dropping Taruk and renders for a second  skull crackers and third magma cannon. Felt like overkill

• Like 1

My next game two games are Open Play against Nurgle & Sylvaneth. 

Both players asked me to build lists at weird point totals (that match what they've managed to paint), hence Open Play.

Here's list one vs Nurgle:
Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Allies
3 x K'Daai Fireborn (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Total: 1280 
Wounds: 81

Here's list two vs. Sylvaneth:
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Allies
Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)
Magma Cannon (140)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Total: 1540
Wounds: 96

For anyone asking why my Daemonsmith is General? I plan to use the Magewrath Throne as my unique terrain piece to counter both armies unique terrain and I plan to just plant the Smith on the Throne and hope "Grotesque" keeps him alive long enough for me to harvest some extra command points and extend my artillery ranges.

Edited by Televiper11
  • Like 1

So my Sylvaneth opponent on Saturday just texted that he now has 1,600pts playable, including a new Arch-Revenant. I've updated my list accordingly:

LEADERS 
Daemonsmith (100) 
- General
- Command Trait : Grotesque
- Darkforged Weapon
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160) 
- Artefact : Armour of Bazherak the Cruel
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160) 
- Runestaff

UNITS 
10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (90) 
10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (90) 
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200) 
3 x K'Daai Fireborn (140)  
5 x Furies (60) 

WAR MACHINES 
Magma Cannon (140) 
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120) 
ENDLESS SPELLS
Balewind Vortex (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1600 / Wounds: 110

Why not combine the ironsworn, and split the Fireglaives? 10 would hardly be a speed bump. 

That way it gives you two zones of 16" control with them.

The Looncurse hero (Archy?) hits pretty well. I believe he flies, so shoot him down w glaives when he gets into range, otherwise your artillery is toast. 

41 minutes ago, Blackspine said:

Why not combine the ironsworn, and split the Fireglaives? 10 would hardly be a speed bump. 

That way it gives you two zones of 16" control with them.

The Looncurse hero (Archy?) hits pretty well. I believe he flies, so shoot him down w glaives when he gets into range, otherwise your artillery is toast. 

My thinking was: Ironsworn, I've had decent success in the past holding multiple objectives with 10 per due to Spiteshields; Fireglaives, making a straight-up firing line that would dish out the hurt while also hampering my opponent's movement.

I'll think it over based on your recommendation.

Edited by Televiper11

4 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Looked briefly at those new Endless Spells in Forbidden Power today.  I think we short-legged folk might really have great use for the boatman and scary bridge spells!  I was really thinking I wouldn't ever have to buy more Endless Spells, seeing as how I almost never use any.....

Soulsnare Shackles has proven beneficial, allowing us more time to get up the board and claim objectives.

The Boatman one could be awesome, for sure!

So I have been playing LoA for sometime now.  I have been running variations on several different lists, but have stumbled upon a 2k list exactly, that seems like it would be fun (not sure how competitive).  Typically I have been taking big blocks of fireglaives, Drazoath, and usually either 2 iron daemons (with artillery) or 2 skullcrackers (with artillery).  Lately, I have noticed how much work my skullcrackers have been doing, which has led me to this idea:

Shar'tor the Executioner (220) - General

3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)

Skullcracker War Engine (200)

Magma Cannon (140)

Magma Cannon (140)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0

WOUNDS: 116

LEADERS: 2/6

BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)

BEHEMOTHS: 4/4

ARTILLERY: 2/4

The lists lacks a lot (obviously).  No real magic/unbind.  No shooting (except for the 2 Magma Cannons).  No real bodies to contest things.  Only 1 hero with an artifact of power (certain missions), no wizards (certain missions), hard to contest/hold objectives.  All that said I think the list would be fun; essentially a giant lawnmower moving toward enemy units.  The idea would be to reserve the magma cannons for high value targets, and just rush the skullcrackers into hordes or heroes.  The Centaurs would stick around with the two heroes and either flank or try to break front lines.  Alternatively a single unit could leave to try to hunt or hold objectives.  The list could even drop one unit of the renders and pick up 2 units of Ironsworn to babysit objectives.  

How foolish am I for wanting to try this?

Edited by Lorax
more info added
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Lorax said:

So I have been playing LoA for sometime now.  I have been running variations on several different lists, but have stumbled upon a 2k list exactly, that seems like it would be fun (not sure how competitive).  Typically I have been taking big blocks of fireglaives, Drazoath, and usually either 2 iron daemons (with artillery) or 2 skullcrackers (with artillery).  Lately, I have noticed how much work my skullcrackers have been doing, which has led me to this idea:

Shar'tor the Executioner (220) - General

Magma Cannon (140)

Magma Cannon (140)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0

WOUNDS: 116

LEADERS: 2/6

BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)

BEHEMOTHS: 4/4

ARTILLERY: 2/4

The lists lacks a lot (obviously).  No real magic/unbind.  No shooting (except for the 2 Magma Cannons).  No real bodies to contest things.  Only 1 hero with an artifact of power (certain missions), no wizards (certain missions), hard to contest/hold objectives.  All that said I think the list would be fun; essentially a giant lawnmower moving toward enemy units.  The idea would be to reserve the magma cannons for high value targets, and just rush the skullcrackers into hordes or heroes.  The Centaurs would stick around with the two heroes and either flank or try to break front lines.  Alternatively a single unit could leave to try to hunt or hold objectives.  The list could even drop one unit of the renders and pick up 2 units of Ironsworn to babysit objectives.  

How foolish am I for wanting to try this?

Oh dear Lord, that is AWESOME!  Definitely do this.  It would be a huge spoiler against many armies, and while it lacks what you said it has plenty to get in there and mulch almost everything. 

So many people hate having to have Shartor as general cuz we loose the Grotesque Trait on the Tauruk…..however I don't feel that's actually that much of a sacrifice, as he could still have the Armor of Bazherak.   Freeing up those points for the war machines is a good trade.  

I just played this morning with my BullCentaur army, and I had the Execution Herd with 2x3 and 1x6 Renders, and Drazhoath, Standard Bearer, and 3x10 Fireglaives.    I think 3x3 Renders would have been plenty too as it's really really hard to get any more than that into combat most of the time.  I miss the days of yore when Renders could take great weapons like Bullgors can, but that's another tail...…..

I highly recommend the Execution Herd, which would require the sacrifice of 1 Skullcracker.  Rerolling hits against (usually) at least 2 enemy units per game is so very useful!  As is the extra CP and artefact, though without another HQ I guess kinda wasted.  Renders not necessarily needing the Tauruk's Command Ability allowed me to use Shartor's ability to make 3 charge rolls turn 1, and also ignore a battleshock roll.

The Fireglaives got an objective turn 1 but are so slow they really can't hope to capture much else later on, as they squish easily on the way too.   30 of them failed to kill a unit of 10 Bladegheists over the whole game (as he could summon back more).  But that's pretty sad, even rolling average as I was.

Drazhoath is so disappointing every time I use him I would definitely not use him except for a mass Blackshard Warhost (he can be my Sorcerer Lord on Manticore from now on).   If his Hellshard Amulet worked against mortal wounds, and he somehow had a casting buff or just hit on 3+ instead of mostly 4+, I'd say he's worth it.

Standard Bearer always helps to some extent; I had Talisman of the Watcher on him for the extra relic and that rerolled some saves.  His Bravery buff is solid and rerolling 1s to wound is very good.  I didn't use him this game but a Castellan with the Thermalrider Cloak would have also helped kill stuff faster, that was amazing at Adepticon when I used the Magma Train battalion and 2 Skullcrackers.

So yup, I'm making a 3rd Skullcracker!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jetengine said:

For a newbie/guy interested in this faction, whats its strengths and weaknesses etc ?

I've got Dispossesed and find them underwhelming (slow, boring, hordey) and am curious if their cousins play better ?

Welcome to Azgorh!  This a very fun faction to play that can be reasonably competitive, usually not a top tier but a great spoiler army.  Their weaknesses I would say are poor wizardry, and slow speed.  Strengths are pretty good saves and durability all around, and pretty high potential damage output.  Actually another weakness might be the models are either expensive and/or rare, or much work to convert 😜

They can be played in many styles, from hordes to very low elite model count, which we were just discussing above.  A mixed style I feel is generally strongest, and of course don't discount getting some allies in there to augment their weaknesses.  Azgorh can ally with any Chaos god keyword, Slaves to Darkness and Everchosen I think?  I've seen people ally with a Verminlord Corruptor for example for his wizardry and Endless Spell access the Warp Lightning Vortex.

To help their speed the Skullcracker starts off really fast, and the K'Daii Fireborn are the fastest if you use a command point to make their run move 6".  Many Azgorh players love their Fireborn!  

If you like using mobs of Dwarves I would start with a Blackshard Warhost.  Gets you plenty of models to be battleline and hold objectives; models in the battalion will probably end up having Bravery 9 or 10, especially if the units are max size; and they'll reroll wounds of 1 in melee if they haven't moved that turn.  Not bad at all.

If you like war machines do an Artillery Train, preferably with 3 Magma Cannons and 1 Iron Daemon and  the Daemonsmith.  Very very good battalion.  And while you're at it add 2 Skullcrackers, which you might have to kitbash unless you have the old Whirlwind and Tenderizer models.

And if you like cavalry the Execution Herd is  also solid, though it takes practice and skill to get the most out of it, I guess like anything.

Good luck!

Played two games this past weekend: 1,250 pts vs. Nurgle & 1,600 pts vs. Sylvaneth

My LoA list wrecked havoc on Nurgle. I ran 3x5 K'daai Fireborn and used them as a flying triangle of molten death: surround one unit, make 45 attacks over three activations, Kiss Of Fire them, and fly on. It worked wonders. I took over half his units off the board between that and Taur'ruk running wild as my General but had to settle for a Minor Victory as I failed to take his defended objective.

I took a Minor Loss versus Trees as my opponent brilliantly conjured a Wyldwood right in front of my gun line and then teleported his Revenants around, pulling me off my game plan repeatedly. My Magma Cannon took 3 MW off his Treelord Ancient (which he healed) but the next round I took 6 MW off him and now I understand why people take multiple Cannons. I already bought another one. LoA's limited movement really hurt me this game as I could never make it into his half of the board so his objective went entirely uncontested.

ps. The Deathshrieker sux -- I think I might convert it to a Skullcracker.

Edited by Televiper11
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 1:55 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Oh dear Lord, that is AWESOME!  Definitely do this.  It would be a huge spoiler against many armies, and while it lacks what you said it has plenty to get in there and mulch almost everything. 

So many people hate having to have Shartor as general cuz we loose the Grotesque Trait on the Tauruk…..however I don't feel that's actually that much of a sacrifice, as he could still have the Armor of Bazherak.   Freeing up those points for the war machines is a good trade.  

I just played this morning with my BullCentaur army, and I had the Execution Herd with 2x3 and 1x6 Renders, and Drazhoath, Standard Bearer, and 3x10 Fireglaives.    I think 3x3 Renders would have been plenty too as it's really really hard to get any more than that into combat most of the time.  I miss the days of yore when Renders could take great weapons like Bullgors can, but that's another tail...…..

I highly recommend the Execution Herd, which would require the sacrifice of 1 Skullcracker.  Rerolling hits against (usually) at least 2 enemy units per game is so very useful!  As is the extra CP and artefact, though without another HQ I guess kinda wasted.  Renders not necessarily needing the Tauruk's Command Ability allowed me to use Shartor's ability to make 3 charge rolls turn 1, and also ignore a battleshock roll.

The Fireglaives got an objective turn 1 but are so slow they really can't hope to capture much else later on, as they squish easily on the way too.   30 of them failed to kill a unit of 10 Bladegheists over the whole game (as he could summon back more).  But that's pretty sad, even rolling average as I was.

Drazhoath is so disappointing every time I use him I would definitely not use him except for a mass Blackshard Warhost (he can be my Sorcerer Lord on Manticore from now on).   If his Hellshard Amulet worked against mortal wounds, and he somehow had a casting buff or just hit on 3+ instead of mostly 4+, I'd say he's worth it.

Standard Bearer always helps to some extent; I had Talisman of the Watcher on him for the extra relic and that rerolled some saves.  His Bravery buff is solid and rerolling 1s to wound is very good.  I didn't use him this game but a Castellan with the Thermalrider Cloak would have also helped kill stuff faster, that was amazing at Adepticon when I used the Magma Train battalion and 2 Skullcrackers.

So yup, I'm making a 3rd Skullcracker!

Thanks for the great response.  I have run the Execution Herd a few different times, it does pack a nice punch.  I also recently have been running the Castellan.  Being able to add one to  wounds for all Legion of Azgorh models is actually pretty devastating .   I have had a couple of spectacular games where the Castellan is on the front lines, and giving off his Martial Contempt so that the Artillery absolutely rain hell on a unit. 

I too feel your pain, as it seems like when I take the Execution Herd, I tend to miss out on the bonus artefact (a product of my bad list building really).  I agree with your analysis of the Fireglaives, so slow and a little squishy.  I own about 60 fireglaives but only about 20 ironsworn, I am thinking of getting a few more to get that massive regiment discount, and they might make better objective sitters.  

Unsung heroes of several of my games have been K'daai.  In my games they do surprisingly well just because of the sheer number of attacks and also the 3" range.  They can safely hide behind a unit of ironsworn and still swing over them.   A unit of 3 has 15 attacks dealing, on average, about 5 damage to a unit with a 4+ save.  They are also surprisingly fast, which leads to some nice plays for stealing objectives.  

Drazoath has had very mixed results for me.  He is one of the fastest units in the whole game, but he is such a mixed bag.  Flames of Azgorh and Fireball both have gone off enough times for me to make him worthwhile as an annoyance.  I tend to then charge him into infantry blocks; he has been able to hold off big blocks in my games, but I tend to pick units that don't have rend or high damage.  I like him just as a fast unit that can sometimes get objectives, but for all of that he is definitely overcosted.  

Actually re-reading my post, it becomes clear that LoA play style is essentially that the battleline (with exception of Centaurs) are very slow and typically bad at "taking" objectives, whereas all of the elites are the opposite, a waste of points for holding and decent at getting to and contesting objectives.  All LoA elites tend to lack the bodies to outright steal an objective.  

Still absolutely love the army though.

Lastly, it sounds like I am preaching to the choir in terms of the value of the Skullcracker.  How are you considering kit bashing yours?  I have been looking at maulerfiends as one option; and Empire Steam Tanks with some retrofits as the others.