AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

The Icon of Dominion bearer is actually part of the Ironsworn unit.    The Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer is a separate unit by himself and a hero.   Love the Bravery 10 Ironsworn within the Warhost.  However I would take more dudes in the Ironsworn and/or Fireglaives within the Warhost to maximize the benefits of the battalion.

Also the Balewind Vortex isn't so great for Daemonsmiths, perhaps for an allied Herald of Tzeentch or other Tzeentchy caster (since they usually have a good spell to cast at range).   

Without the Balewind, Furies, and extra Warhost points, that's 260 you'll have for say 20 more Fireglaives and another Endless Spell or so.  For your second relic how about the Thermalrider Cloak of Aqshy for your Castellan?  That will get him in range for his command ability on turn 2.  If you march and run up your guns and Tauruk and all, they'll be able to do some good damage on 1 or maybe 2 or even 3 enemy units (with multiple command points and you can use the Castellan's ability twice in the same hero phase).  Though the Tauruk's command ability is super good to use on himself.

Open play is fun.  Everyone would love for the Hellcannon to be a part of Azgorh!

1 hour ago, Televiper11 said:

I have another newb question: the Icon Of Dominion Bearer -- is it the same as a Battle Standard Bearer but instead of being an individual unit, it is part of your Ironsworn unit?

The Icon of Dominion bearer is a model in your unit. He is treated like any regular model in the unit. While it is alive, he grants the bravery buff to the unit. Same with the musician while it is alive.

The Battle Standard Bearer is a character that has a different set of rules and effects multiple units. It can also have artifacts and benefit from look out sir. It is an individual model, not bound to any unit.

Thanks for your help everyone! Here is my revised, Open Play list:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Grotesque 
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Infernal Guard Castellan (120)
- Darkforged Weapon & Pyrelock Pistol
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Allies
20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (180)
10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (90)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
5 x Furies (60)
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Allies
Magma Cannon (140)
Hellcannon (300)
- Allies
Blackshard Warhost (160)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 520 / 400
Wounds: 112

Any further feedback would be appreciated!

Edited by Televiper11

18 minutes ago, Lamekh said:

Who is the Sorcerer Lord Interesse to buff? You hardly have any bodies on the table...

"Daemonic Power:  The Sorcerer bestows his followers with daemonic essence, boosting their skill, strength and resilience to unholy levels. Daemonic Power has a casting value of 5. If successfully cast, pick the caster or a unit within 18". Until your next hero phase, you can re-roll any hit rolls of 1, wound rolls of 1 and save rolls of 1 made for that unit."

The above plus Oracular Visions is pretty helpful; casting Daemonic Power on Taur'ruk is gonna be awesome!

Plus, given my lack of cavalry/mobility, I added Furies to my list and if they get killed quickly, the Sorcerer Lord can summon more.

That was my thinking after seeing him allied to a lot of LoA lists I found online.

Edited by Televiper11

45 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

I misunderstood your question. 😉

Just noted my phone auto-corrected my reply 🙄 

What Azgorh or Chaos models do you have, might help in building a list?

I'm not sold on the Hellcannon at all, not sure why you're giving a daemonsmith the cloak? I'd use that on a support character for mobile CC units, i.e. on the BSB to buff Kdaai or Renders

The Chalice might be another idea for the daemonsmith to potentially shutdown an opponents magic phase

2 minutes ago, Lamekh said:

Just noted my phone auto-corrected my reply 🙄 

What Azgorh or Chaos models do you have, might help in building a list?

I'm not sold on the Hellcannon at all, not sure why you're giving a daemonsmith the cloak? I'd use that on a support character for mobile CC units, i.e. on the BSB to buff Kdaai or Renders

The Chalice might be another idea for the daemonsmith to potentially shutdown an opponents magic phase

I was debating using the Chalice, might go back to that. 

I like the Hellcannon for two reasons: mortal wounds output & distraction (the few opponents I've played target it because of its size, leaving the Magma alone until too late).

For Azgorh, I have another 10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn  & 10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives. And another Infernal Guard Command. Have a bid in on a Deathshrieker. Don't own any other Chaos units but could change that on a good recommendation. Am totally new to all this so no real inventory to choose from.

Sounds like you've got a solid Battleline Base, which is good, things your list is lacking are "fast" CC units (Kdaii, Renders, Skullcrackers) and or more Firepower (more Magmas) this depends entirely on you, how you want to play your list...

The same can be said about Chaos Allies, I've seen lists with a Sorcerer Lord some also use Skarr Bloodwrath Sp? for Hordes, Gutrot Spume and Blight Kings, etc 

I'm currently toying around with Blight King allies...

Edited by Lamekh

Does anyone have some recommendations for foam storage solutions for the legion? I'm not a big fan of magnetic storage. Ideally I'd like something that can hold Draz, Skullcracker, Irondeamon, one of each artillery, Shar'tor, Chaos siege giant, 9 renders, 2 Taruks, 6 K'daii, and then ~60 little guys.

2 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

Thoughts on the Iron Demon War Engine? I hardly ever see it on anyone's lists. I have a line on one but not sure I need it really given my Hell & Magma cannons, other than it can add to the Magma's mvt.

It can dishout a lot of damage, is very useful for moving the magmas up since they can't run, and has surprising survivability, I've had my enemy pile on 3 units or more trying to kill it. It has a great save and is a threat in its own way, best to keep out of combat if able. I never go without it. On top of all that I'd say it was probably my favorite model in the range to assemble!

2 minutes ago, Lobeau said:

It can dishout a lot of damage, is very useful for moving the magmas up since they can't run, and has surprising survivability, I've had my enemy pile on 3 units or more trying to kill it. It has a great save and is a threat in its own way, best to keep out of combat if able. I never go without it. On top of all that I'd say it was probably my favorite model in the range to assemble!

Cool! How is it to paint?

I primed black, then sprayed leadbelcher over the whole model, washed with agrax earthshade and then again with nuln oil, painted some smaller details copper or gold and called it a day. That's what I used on all my warmachines and it gave them a oily, dirty, and used look. Theres a picture of a few machines on the table.

0721181357e.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the answers :) Last list I posted had 2 skullcrackers, 9 k'ddai and geminids. Now I am thinking about switching 1 skullcracker and the geminids for 3 more k'ddai, a chaos sorcerer and shackles. What do you think? Worth the trade?

For reference I posted my last list below.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:32 PM, B.C.D. said:

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

LEADERS
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Command Trait : Grotesque
- Artefact : Armour of Bazherak the Cruel

Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

UNITS
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
9 x K'Daai Fireborn (420)

WAR MACHINES
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

TOTAL: 2000/2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0    WOUNDS: 128    LEADERS: 3/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)
BEHEMOTHS: 2/4    ARTILLERY: 2/4    ARTEFACTS: 1/1    ALLIES: 0/400

Edited by B.C.D.

I plan on building my LOA army "big guy heavy" IE a lot of Bull Centaur's and very little little guys. Anybody have any success with this build? I know it comes with inherent negatives such as having a hard time scoring objectives etc. etc. but I want to build the most competitive list possible as this will be my tournament list. 

AKA Help me build a list that doesn't come in last! 

Do you think 3-4 sets of 3 Bulls and a big set of Kdaai? 3+ Tauruk's? I have a hard time justifying the executioner herd battalion when for the same cost you get 3 more bulls to help score.

On 3/1/2019 at 5:03 PM, Hebroseph said:

I plan on building my LOA army "big guy heavy" IE a lot of Bull Centaur's and very little little guys. Anybody have any success with this build? I know it comes with inherent negatives such as having a hard time scoring objectives etc. etc. but I want to build the most competitive list possible as this will be my tournament list. 

AKA Help me build a list that doesn't come in last! 

Do you think 3-4 sets of 3 Bulls and a big set of Kdaai? 3+ Tauruk's? I have a hard time justifying the executioner herd battalion when for the same cost you get 3 more bulls to help score.

What point size will you be playing?

Assuming you'll be playing at 2000 points, I think a giant unit of Bull Centaurs and a giant unit of K'daai is a viable competitive build.  You could do this:

2 Tauruks (1 is the general, standard grotesque and Armor of Bazherak)

Daemonsmith (for Ashstorm and the occasional unbind and throwing blood on enemies)

allied Sorcerer Lord on Steed (for Daemonic Power and the reroll saves of 1 ability)

12 K'daai

12 BullCentaurs

3x10 Fireglaives

2000 points on the dot.  Being that Azgorh sucks at wizardry in general, makes sense to just not focus on that and run the enemy down with mobs of brute force!

That said I'd prefer 4 lawn mowers (the Skullcrackers) but that's just me and my easy to transport preferences.  The Centaurs can deal out some decent mortal wounds in combat from their spiteshields, and a unit of 12 fighting multiple enemy units could put the hurt on many units at once!  Now I wanna try that out.

Is there an official place to ask some rule questions about forgeworld armies? Do I just forward them to the standard adress of GW for AoS or is there another or different forgeworld adress to ask them? So that they might be cleared up in an FAQ. I'm still unsure if I can take a unit of fireglaives without a leader/deathmask in it and would like to have an official answer from the rules team. Also a new base size overhaul might be needed because as stated before the skullcracker and the mortar seem to be a better fit on the 170x105 base

Edited by B.C.D.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:18 PM, B.C.D. said:

Is there an official place to ask some rule questions about forgeworld armies? Do I just forward them to the standard adress of GW for AoS or is there another or different forgeworld adress to ask them? So that they might be cleared up in an FAQ. I'm still unsure if I can take a unit of fireglaives without a leader/deathmask in it and would like to have an official answer from the rules team. Also a new base size overhaul might be needed because as stated before the skullcracker and the mortar seem to be a better fit on the 170x105 base

This was on FW's site:  forgeworld@gwplc.com

GW might answer, I think they respond better on the Facebook page now though.

Agree about that base size, and the magma cannon too!  120mm oval is too big.  Then there's that Chaos Mammoth base size now.....

Here's what I'm bringing to Adepticon AoS Championships in a couple weeks, or something very close.  We aren't good at wizardry so just focusing on brute force...and I don't have time to paint a Lord of Change for an ally.  Hop on the Train!

Tauruk (general, grotesque, armor of bazherak)

Daemonsmith

Infernal Standard Bearer

Infernal Castellan (Thermalrider cloak of Aqshy)

4x10 Fireglaives

2 Skullcrackers

Iron Daemon

3 Magma Cannons

Artillery Train Battalion

Idea being that the cannons can fire max range even if the Daemonsmith bites it, and they can be tugged by the big engines.  The Castellan can fly 8" for getting in range with his command ability, and with the Standard Bearer augment the big boys' wounding quite a bit.

Edited by Lord Krungharr