Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

Ok, so I'm totally new to Stormcast. I've just painted up a bunch as they're like Crackerjack - they're at least one in every GW box... I'm at the Theory-Hammer stage, I've only played AOS in Skirmish and a Path To Glory campaign so far, and have never fielded Stormcast.

I just built some lists with the Warscroll builder, but I have no idea which Command Traits and Artefacts are considered the best (or at least generally useful) for a variety of Stormcast leaders. At the moment, I'm looking how to kit out a Lord Celestant on foot as part of the Skyborne list mentioned above, but would welcome any help or analysis on how to kit heroes. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothnomicon said:

Ok, so I'm totally new to Stormcast. I've just painted up a bunch as they're like Crackerjack - they're at least one in every GW box... I'm at the Theory-Hammer stage, I've only played AOS in Skirmish and a Path To Glory campaign so far, and have never fielded Stormcast.

I just built some lists with the Warscroll builder, but I have no idea which Command Traits and Artefacts are considered the best (or at least generally useful) for a variety of Stormcast leaders. At the moment, I'm looking how to kit out a Lord Celestant on foot as part of the Skyborne list mentioned above, but would welcome any help or analysis on how to kit heroes. Thanks in advance!

Most items and command abilities are fairly balanced and really are down to the specifics of  your list and playstyle. There are however generally considered two stand out options in Staunch Defender and Mirrorshield. Staunch Defender is incredible although you do need to learn to utilise it correctly for maximum effective and plan ahead. Mirror shield is great in the meta -2 can really shut down skyfires.

The other combination which is often run is Luckstone on a Venator. This allows you to turn the damage roll of the Star-fated arrow to a 6. This can snipe characters in one go, although it still needs to hit, wound and get through their armour save. Typically good against a wizard with at-least a 5+ save.

I've seen people use the move D3 units 5 inches forward well with Stardrake/Fulminators but Staunch Defender is generally still a better option. 

If you are keen on using a Celestant on Foot, Staunch Defender and Mirror Shield will give you a great chance of surviving to keep the +1 hit buff from him going for as long as possible (as people will focus him!)

Seeing that many players are taking the horde tactics, I've check how stormcast could slaughter them.

Sure thing, decimators are great. A clever opponent will not pile in though. 

The idea would be to center your army around LCoD with a tempest axe. 3+/3+/-1/2 is quite decent. Plus you have more attacks with other SCE units. Now let's see:

Heroes:

LCoD - shield - tempest axe - keen clawed- general

LCoD - shield - tempest axe - keen clawed *5

Battleline:

3 * 5 liberators

Other:

9 * 1 Gryphon hounds

What do you think? Would be awesome to see the face of my opponent. Might be bad, but might be fun!

17 hours ago, Ggg said:

Heroes:

LCoD - shield - tempest axe - keen clawed- general

LCoD - shield - tempest axe - keen clawed *5

Battleline:

3 * 5 liberators

Other:

9 * 1 Gryphon hounds

What do you think? Would be awesome to see the face of my opponent. Might be bad, but might be fun!

Wh... Why would you field 360 points of Gryph Hounds...?

3 minutes ago, Siorra said:

Wh... Why would you field 360 points of Gryph Hounds...?

For the tempest axe extra attacks. It's a novelty list. Would be fun if you pull it off but wouldn't do well in a tourney say where it would be next to impossible to pull it off :)

On 04.10.2017 at 3:54 PM, Siorra said:

And I'm a firm believer of Hammerstrike. So there's plenty to choose from.

I think, after the SCE Battletome, Skyborne Slayers is not as advantageous anymore. I used Stardrake several times as a proxy. Not bad, really. Should I take Stardrake, I’m undecided. Hammerstrike force is being used by everyone. It's not surprising anymore. I make this army list. What do you recommend me? Which artefacts should I use?

Celestant-Prime (340)

Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)

- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield

Lord-Relictor (80)

Lord-Celestant (100)

Units

10 x Paladin Retributors (440)

5 x Liberators (100)

-Warhammers

5 x Liberators (100)

-Warhammers

5 x Judicators (160)

-Skybolt Bows

4 hours ago, Turragor said:

For the tempest axe extra attacks. It's a novelty list. Would be fun if you pull it off but wouldn't do well in a tourney say where it would be next to impossible to pull it off :)

I've always wanted an excuse to field a load of gryphounds 

44 minutes ago, Nun said:

I think, after the SCE Battletome, Skyborne Slayers is not as advantageous anymore. I used Stardrake several times as a proxy. Not bad, really. Should I take Stardrake, I’m undecided. Hammerstrike force is being used by everyone. It's not surprising anymore. I make this army list. What do you recommend me? Which artefacts should I use?

Celestant-Prime (340)

Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)

- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield

Lord-Relictor (80)

Lord-Celestant (100)

Units

5 x Liberators (100)

-Warhammers

5 x Liberators (100)

-Warhammers

5 x Judicators (160)

-Skybolt Bows

I think you need to deliver those retributors in some way. Thats why hammerstrike and skyborne slayers pops up in better performing lists with paladins. Anything else with lots of paladins in doesn't do as well.

I think lists are split in success kind of evenly between hammerstrike/skyborne with paladins doing the heavy lifting and then lists with fulminators for the heavy lifting.

The stardrake is popular as it's nigh unkillable until you meet big mw armies. It also does really well with dracothian guard - the command ability is actually nice.

In your list I am not sure if a LCoSD and prime would go together. It sounds like the dream team but the cost is hefty (900).

You'd still probably do better removing the 20 retributors and taking 6 fulminators.

Of course, lots of advice (as is often the case) is moot. What have you got painted? If it's what you list then you'd be able to buy and paint a hammerstrike force much faster than 6 fulminators!

40 minutes ago, Nun said:

I think, after the SCE Battletome, Skyborne Slayers is not as advantageous anymore.

Eeeer.. Wouldn't say that. Skyborn is one of the last reliable way of getting very close to the ennemy without risk.

• It packs a very good amount of troops with no real drawbacks(and fulfill your battleline taxes). The two units of liberators might eventually be skippable.
  • Immune to Battleshock is nothing to scoff at.
  • You can get 5" from the ennemy. A 5" charge is like getting a charge on 2+ on 1D6, which is savage considering that the usual 9" charge is less than 1/3 chance of sucess.
  • You can pack at least 3/4 of your army, which is nice to get less drops.
  • You can field some of the units directly on the board to place them somewhere else.
  • Basically a very god way of getting a close-to-one-drop-army and getting 20 paladins in the ennemy face. plus, the hero restriction is not severe. You can field your favorite rooster.

o

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

I've always wanted an excuse to field a load of gryphounds 

Same here, hence the list ;)

But bakc on the Vulkite topics. I'm wondering what you guys are thinking. What would be great with them?

Using a relictor (0r 2) seems good. LC is a must for such a big unit.

Taking the Aetherstike road could be a thing. Could screen a lot and add needed map control.

SS seems a bad idea. Leaving a big 30-man units behind is no use.

Hammerstrike could be a thing. Controlling objectives with vulkite and smashing face elswhere. Berserker are a good way to shield the Prosecutors.

Dracoth and Stardrake could also be a thing. Seems a bit like the Hammerstrike without the fast delivry system.

I've cooked a list including a loot of miniatures:

2 heraldors

2 relictors (LC both fot them)

30 Vulkite

2 X 5 judicators with bows

5 liberators with shields

10 decimators

10 retributors

The tactics would be to stay on objectives and collect maximum points. Not really oriented for range combat or mobility though. This list might benefit more from 2 castellans in fact.

What are your thoughts?

Hey guys, I'm challenging myself and building and painting a Stormcast list for a tournament on October 17th. I'm still not sure about my list, I'm used to playing armies with high body counts (Orks, Skaven, Kharadron Overlords) so I'm a bit nervous at playing a list with 40 or so models.  I basically have 3 Starter sets, a Getting Started set, both Silver Tower expansions and Blight Wars to work with. No Judicators :( This kind of restricts me to Hammerstrike as my Battalion. I can take KO as allies, I'm toying around with the idea of a unit of 30 Arkanaut Company being moved around by Lightning Chariot, the models are all painted too!

My original though was just do a quick to paint Hammers of Sigmar list and call it done. I do prefer darker themed armies, like Anvils of Heldenhammer and Sons of Mallus so I might wiggle a bit here. I was going to take Vandus for his 24" Immune to Battleshock bubble as well as +1 attack within 9", which when paired with 2 10 man units of Retributors would be absolutely murderous. Back them up with a Lord Celestant (he is the general, consumate commander) for the +1 to hit and it starts to get silly (a blessed unit of 10 will on average do 30 mortal wounds and 30 normal wounds). I'm starting to wonder if they really need to be buffed up that much.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Vandus Hammerhand (280)
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
- Trait: Consummate Commander 
- Artefact: Mirrorshield 
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Artefact: Seed of Rebirth 
- Prayer: Bless Weapons

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
10 x Paladin Retributors (440)
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

Battalions
Hammerstrike Force (220)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

Like I mentioned, I'm considering some alternate lists and I'll post more later but I'd love to hear your thoughts in the meantime.

10 hours ago, kozokus said:

You can pack at least 3/4 of your army, which is nice to get less drops

I don't understand what that means 

51 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Longstrikes don't really seem to be worth using outside of Aetherstrike...180 points for 6 wounds and a max damage of 6 per turn isn't really that great.

Dont forget it's all about being able to put the damage wherever you want

9 hours ago, Dez said:

Hey guys, I'm challenging myself and building and painting a Stormcast list for a tournament on October 17th. I'm still not sure about my list, I'm used to playing armies with high body counts (Orks, Skaven, Kharadron Overlords) so I'm a bit nervous at playing a list with 40 or so models.  I basically have 3 Starter sets, a Getting Started set, both Silver Tower expansions and Blight Wars to work with. No Judicators :( This kind of restricts me to Hammerstrike as my Battalion. I can take KO as allies, I'm toying around with the idea of a unit of 30 Arkanaut Company being moved around by Lightning Chariot, the models are all painted too!

My original though was just do a quick to paint Hammers of Sigmar list and call it done. I do prefer darker themed armies, like Anvils of Heldenhammer and Sons of Mallus so I might wiggle a bit here. I was going to take Vandus for his 24" Immune to Battleshock bubble as well as +1 attack within 9", which when paired with 2 10 man units of Retributors would be absolutely murderous. Back them up with a Lord Celestant (he is the general, consumate commander) for the +1 to hit and it starts to get silly (a blessed unit of 10 will on average do 30 mortal wounds and 30 normal wounds). I'm starting to wonder if they really need to be buffed up that much.

Leaders
Vandus Hammerhand (280)
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
Lord-Relictor (80)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

Battalions
Hammerstrike Force (220)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Like I mentioned, I'm considering some alternate lists and I'll post more later but I'd love to hear your thoughts in the meantime.

Turn 1 unit of retributors into protectors and turn vandus into a lors celestant on dracoth and you have  am extra 100 points

leaving you wtih 140 points for 3 gryphounds 

Speaking of Paladins, I was theory crafting this to hopefully try out in games tomorrow.

Lord-Castellant

-General

-Staunch Defender

Lord Castellant

White Battlemage on Luminark of Hysh

Relictor

-Lightning Chariot

Relictor

-Bless Weapons

5 Judicators

5 Judicators

5 Judicators

5 Judicators

40 Skinks

-Javelins/shields

20 Protectors

-8 Starsoul Maces

3 Prosecutors

-Stormcall javelins

3 Prosecutors

-Stormcall javelins

Gryph Hound

2480/2500

Not sure what my artifact should be yet or if the second relictor should have chariot as well - scooting skinks around seems fun.

Also wanted to fit in a lore master for rerolls on the luminark but thats too many ally points.

9 hours ago, Carnelian said:
20 hours ago, kozokus said:

You can pack at least 3/4 of your army, which is nice to get less drops

A reasonable Skyborn is something like 1500 points strong in one drop, which means you can fiend 2-3 more heroes to complete your list. Which means you will end with 3-4 drop army which means you can choose who go first which is good.

I started painting my Stardrake recently. Regardless of rules, it is a gorgeous model to collect.

However playing games with models is also a big part of my hobby, so I have been thinking about a list to use it.

When writing lists, my main concerns were Disciples of Tzeentch and Clan Skryre. 

Both factions can put devastating amount of damage via alpha strike, and I wanted to make sure there was enough target saturation in my list. 

Below is the draft which I am still working upon.

Allegiance : Stormcast Eternals

-Leader

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake(Celestine Hammer, Staunch Defender, Keen Clawed,  Mirrorshield)

Lord-Castellant

Lord-Relictor(Lightning Chariot)

-Battleline

5 Liberators(Warhammer & Sigmarite Shields, Liberator-Prime : Grandhammer)

5 Judicators(Skybolt Bows, Judicator-Prime : Shockbolt Bow)

-Others

2 Tempestors

5 Protectors(Protector-Prime, 2xStarsoul Mace)

6 Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows(Raptor-Prime : Aetherwing)

Gryph Hound

Total : 2,000pts

I thought about forgoing a gryph hound and replacing tempestors with fulminators, to add extra punch into the list.

But since that would make the list much more vulnerable to alpha strike set-up lists, for example Clan Skryre and Skyborn,  

I am still sceptical about leaving gryph hound at home.

On 10/6/2017 at 8:10 PM, Carnelian said:

Dont forget it's all about being able to put the damage wherever you want

Turn 1 unit of retributors into protectors and turn vandus into a lors celestant on dracoth and you have  am extra 100 points

leaving you wtih 140 points for 3 gryphounds 

Just curious, why would I take more Gryph Hounds? There is no shooting in the list (to my dismay!). The LC with Consumate Commander lets Vandus use his 24” immune to battle shock bubble as well as +1 attack within 9”...so if I’ve played things right , he will be in the Retributors bubble which is devastating...at least on paper.  The rest of the army will be pretty mobile too, depending on scenario of course. 

Hoping for more feedback, Tournament is Saturday and I haven’t practiced yet :)

Fast brainstorm.

I'm looking for an alternative model for Lord Celestant on foot. I do have a big problem with this model price (seriously, it's half the Start Collecting Box price for one almost generic Stormcast made of plastic) so I've decided to grab either something that can count-as or kitbash the bloody dude. I do have a great experience with Ścibor Miniatures for my WH40K count-as units, but sadly none of them looks Stormcasty enough/carries sword and hammer. Any ideas where to look for a scale 28mm armored dual wielding beast of a man?

5 hours ago, Dez said:

Just curious, why would I take more Gryph Hounds? There is no shooting in the list (to my dismay!). The LC with Consumate Commander lets Vandus use his 24” immune to battle shock bubble as well as +1 attack within 9”...so if I’ve played things right , he will be in the Retributors bubble which is devastating...at least on paper.  The rest of the army will be pretty mobile too, depending on scenario of course. 

Hoping for more feedback, Tournament is Saturday and I haven’t practiced yet :)

Yeah my comment was made quite late at night and I think my love of gryphounds just bubbled up and got away

2 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Yeah my comment was made quite late at night and I think my love of gryphounds just bubbled up and got away

You cannot be blamed, they're wonderful creatures! I'm thinking of taking a bunch with my KO :)

On 10/6/2017 at 10:14 AM, Dez said:

Leaders
Vandus Hammerhand (280)
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
Lord-Relictor (80)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

Battalions
Hammerstrike Force (220)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Hammerhand is TERRIBLE, you don't get the immune to battleshock aura anyway.

Building the list like this you are saying 'all of my heroes and prosecutors will drop in at the same time every game, my opponent will have 0 chaff, and there will be no way to snipe the celestant while also giving -1 to hit.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:59 PM, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

I started painting my Stardrake recently. Regardless of rules, it is a gorgeous model to collect.

However playing games with models is also a big part of my hobby, so I have been thinking about a list to use it.

When writing lists, my main concerns were Disciples of Tzeentch and Clan Skryre. 

Both factions can put devastating amount of damage via alpha strike, and I wanted to make sure there was enough target saturation in my list. 

Below is the draft which I am still working upon.

Allegiance : Stormcast Eternals

-Leader

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake(Celestine Hammer, Staunch Defender, Keen Clawed,  Mirrorshield)

Lord-Castellant

-Battleline

5 Judicators(Skybolt Bows, Judicator-Prime : Shockbolt Bow)

-Others

2 Tempestors

5 Protectors(Protector-Prime, 2xStarsoul Mace)

6 Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows(Raptor-Prime : Aetherwing)

Gryph Hound

Total : 2,000pts

I thought about forgoing a gryph hound and replacing tempestors with fulminators, to add extra punch into the list.

But since that would make the list much more vulnerable to alpha strike set-up lists, for example Clan Skryre and Skyborn,  

I am still sceptical about leaving gryph hound at home.

Drop the protectors and either upgrade the libbs or take 40 skinks.

So apologies if these questions have come up, but I'm on my way to a store and quite fancy quickly picking up some units so don't have the most time to research everything :)

Little new to AoS and even though I'm reasonably sure how things work I'd be a bit stupid if I didn't ask first. So my question is about a LCoSD, the command trait staunch defender and the sigmarite thundershield. If I were to roll a 2 for a save that would go up to a 3 so be successful as long as I didn't charge, and if I rolled a 1 I can reroll that (and the reroll happens before modifiers iirc) because of the shield.

So my first question is does the bonus of staunch defender carry on and still affect the rerolled save? So in the reroll phase is anything 2+ still successful?

Also if I take a mirrorshield does that replace the sigmarite thundershield?

And bit of a lore question finally, do the hammers of sigmar use stardrakes? Cheers

Archived