Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

I had to choose between fyreslayers and skinks. to try out as I'm not going to manage to paint 2 horde units for allies. I chose Fyreslayers as I think they're cool on the board and complement my play style.

Allies wise, we don't really need more elite units. We've plenty of mortal wounds (more are always nice). Ranged isn't lacking so much.

Speed IS lacking so like, Ellyrian Reavers might be nice...

Numbers are lacking - hence skinks and vulkite berserker theories (best units for points cost).

A mage is cool.

I've yet to see anyone contemplate artillery. I am not sure it isn't just more of the same in an SCE force.

There are probably some niche combos combining with Relictors - there was a few posts about that earlier.

I'm personally going for bodies. I feel that that's the biggest weakness when I play. That and defense against mortal wounds - which explains my choice of 30 berserkers (I hope they help against DoT lists, I'm not sure they'll be enough).

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wizards are useful but not necessary. We can replicate most of their effects in one way or another - mainly with the Relictor, but we also have the Castellant for "Mystic Shield" and the Veritant for Dispelling, etc. Unless there's a crazy strong spell that's unable to replicate, which there are some, I don't think it's worth just taking a Wizard for the sake of having one.

There's no real artillery in Order that's better than just having 3-6 Longstrikes, especially when you can buff them defensively and teleport them with an Aquilor or Priest.

Numbers are the thing we can't do as well. I know that people are going to be gravitating towards 30 man Lib units in Vanguard since it just won Facehammer, but 30 Fyreslayers is cheaper, more durable (well it depends but sorta), require less support, etc. Skinks have cheapness, mobility, and trickiness. 30 Liberators is more than 1/4 of your army and the bulk of it doesn't do much more than survive (only the Grandhammers are really useful for damage), while the other choices will give you more for cheaper. 

4 hours ago, Turragor said:

I had to choose between fyreslayers and skinks. to try out as I'm not going to manage to paint 2 horde units for allies. I chose Fyreslayers as I think they're cool on the board and complement my play style.

Allies wise, we don't really need more elite units. We've plenty of mortal wounds (more are always nice). Ranged isn't lacking so much.

Speed IS lacking so like, Ellyrian Reavers might be nice...

Numbers are lacking - hence skinks and vulkite berserker theories (best units for points cost).

A mage is cool.

I've yet to see anyone contemplate artillery. I am not sure it isn't just more of the same in an SCE force.

There are probably some niche combos combining with Relictors - there was a few posts about that earlier.

I'm personally going for bodies. I feel that that's the biggest weakness when I play. That and defense against mortal wounds - which explains my choice of 30 berserkers (I hope they help against DoT lists, I'm not sure they'll be enough).

I’m not knocking vulkites and totally agree with you. Numbers are a big factor to my losses (and stupid decisions but I won’t go there ;) I have some vulkites I will eventually play test but I had a limited number of pts to play with as I didn’t want to comprimise the rest of my list. 

As for the 30 libs and vanguard wing, I understand there was on odd interpretation of the rules being used when moving and I believe the libs were getting dropped within 3” of enemy units. I haven’t seen any of the games yet (unsure if on YouTube?). I’m guessing the hammers would have been put at the front in this situation, delete a unit and then move onto the next ??

4 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

I’m not knocking vulkites and totally agree with you. Numbers are a big factor to my losses (and stupid decisions but I won’t go there ;) I have some vulkites I will eventually play test but I had a limited number of pts to play with as I didn’t want to comprimise the rest of my list. 

As for the 30 libs and vanguard wing, I understand there was on odd interpretation of the rules being used when moving and I believe the libs were getting dropped within 3” of enemy units. I haven’t seen any of the games yet (unsure if on YouTube?). I’m guessing the hammers would have been put at the front in this situation, delete a unit and then move onto the next ??

I don't think it's an interpretation, there's no limiter on distance so you should be able to drop right into combat as long as you can snake the unit along (protip: 30 Liberators make a long line). 

Honestly it's making me really want to put Gryph Hounds into my list just so I can shoot the ****** out of them when they try to be cheeky, since it is a Set Up. Of course the Hounds die fairly easily but it's some breathing room if nothing else.

22 hours ago, Requizen said:

Anyone know what Andy Bryan and Sam Davies brought to Facehammer? They were 6th and 13th, would be interested to see the other SCE lists that did well.

Hi I brought the skyborn Slayers to the facehammer GT really enjoyed using them.

I've been using the aetherstrike as well but prefer the skyborn.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (80)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
10 x Judicators (320)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
10 x Paladin Decimators (400)
10 x Paladin Protectors (400)

Battalions
The Skyborne Slayers (240)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

12 minutes ago, Andy Bryan said:

Hi I brought the skyborn Slayers to the facehammer GT really enjoyed using them.

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (80)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
10 x Judicators (320)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units

Battalions

Reinforcement Points (0)

Hey Andy, would be awesome to understand what worked and what didn’t. How did it far againt Other armies and what were the scenarios you struggled most with. Thanks man ! 

31 minutes ago, Andy Bryan said:

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (80)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
10 x Judicators (320)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units

Battalions

Reinforcement Points (0)

Thanks! Good to see Skyborne is still doing well, I had a lot of success with it in GHB1, haven't tried it since the changes.

Do you like the 10 Decimators? Previously I ran only 5 (and only 5 Judicators) and then used the saved points to bring some Longstrikes for ranged support. I worry that 20 Paladins is a bit all on the drop.

Well I have to say I was extremely lucky all weekend, I lost game 1 to another skyborne list with a celestant prime, it was a minor loss by 160 points in knife to the heart, I was in the game until turn 5 when I chose the wrong combat and failed to kill 3 judicators for the draw.

Game 2 was duality of death. I took first turn and pinned in my opponent and started to score and just targeted his heros and got the major.

Game 3 was unbelievable.... I won turn 5 on the last roll of the dice by my opponent failing to roll more than one six with 24 dice.... he had sprit hosts and needed to kill a judicator. One wound went through and I rolled a 4up save to win the game... I couldn't believe it 

Game 4 was battle for the pass against flesh eaters and again I took first turn and scored nine points by capturing all objectives and pinning the potter army in place and did this three turns in a row.

Game 5 was against the changehost in star strike and left the army in the sky until turn 3 and waited to see where the comets landed and scored all three as they landed on the same side one above the other.

I was lucky all weekend and was initially forth until sports scores were correctly added and dropped to 6th.

Im using it this weekend at the GT Finals........ it was the first time  I had used the battalion after my friend had been battering my aetherstrike with his version of it so I just decided to copy him.

The 20 paladins are there for the 8 starsoul maces  and the ten judicators for more troops for the scenarios. 

I love longstrikes I've got 15, I've got a list in my with lord aquilor and some cheeky board teleporting to keep them safe but that's for blood and glory.

I will report back after the GT but I don't think i ll be that lucky again 

11 minutes ago, Andy Bryan said:

Well I have to say I was extremely lucky all weekend, I lost game 1 to another skyborne list with a celestant prime, it was a minor loss by 160 points in knife to the heart, I was in the game until turn 5 when I chose the wrong combat and failed to kill 3 judicators for the draw.

Game 2 was duality of death. I took first turn and pinned in my opponent and started to score and just targeted his heros and got the major.

Game 3 was unbelievable.... I won turn 5 on the last roll of the dice by my opponent failing to roll more than one six with 24 dice.... he had sprit hosts and needed to kill a judicator. One wound went through and I rolled a 4up save to win the game... I couldn't believe it 

Game 4 was battle for the pass against flesh eaters and again I took first turn and scored nine points by capturing all objectives and pinning the potter army in place and did this three turns in a row.

Game 5 was against the changehost in star strike and left the army in the sky until turn 3 and waited to see where the comets landed and scored all three as they landed on the same side one above the other.

I was lucky all weekend and was initially forth until sports scores were correctly added and dropped to 6th.

Im using it this weekend at the GT Finals........ it was the first time  I had used the battalion after my friend had been battering my aetherstrike with his version of it so I just decided to copy him.

The 20 paladins are there for the 8 starsoul maces  and the ten judicators for more troops for the scenarios. 

I love longstrikes I've got 15, I've got a list in my with lord aquilor and some cheeky board teleporting to keep them safe but that's for blood and glory.

I will report back after the GT but I don't think i ll be that lucky again 

Interesting that you picked it over Aetherstrike considering that seems to be the thing everyone is talking about. Do you just find Aetherstrike to be more counterable or just not your style? 

What do you think about this list?

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Knight-Venator (120)
Knight-Azyros (80)
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- War-Picks & Slingshields

Units
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (200)

6 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

What do you think about this list?

Leaders
Knight-Venator (120)
Knight-Azyros (80)
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- Handaxes & Slingshields

Units
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (200)

You need to add 2 units of Aetherwings for the Battalions, I find the Protectors almost an auto include in this list. You main damage is your longstrikes if they go you have nothing so they have to be protected at all costs, also a Relictor with LC  give you mobility for objectives. 

I Brought Atherstrike to FH at the weekend and found it very powerful, but as @Andy Bryan mentioned it doesn't give your opponent much of a game and I found myself apologizing to them more than  normal!

4 hours ago, Collyc said:

I Brought Atherstrike to FH at the weekend and found it very powerful, but as @Andy Bryan mentioned it doesn't give your opponent much of a game and I found myself apologizing to them more than  normal!

Not asking you to reveal your name if you don't want to, but how did you do? What did you think of Aetherstrike overall in the meta? 

Edit: also what size Longstrike unit did you bring? 9? 

Hello,
I want to create 2.000 pts Stormcast Eternals army list. 
With GH2, I think most competitive army lists contain shoot units but I prefer to play melee combats rather than shooting.
What do you suggest? I would like to hear your thoughts.

21 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Not asking you to reveal your name if you don't want to, but how did you do? What did you think of Aetherstrike overall in the meta? 

Edit: also what size Longstrike unit did you bring? 9? 

Finished 25th with 3 Major wins and 2 Losses.

First Lost was against a Deamonsmith on a balewind that kept -2 Hit on Raptors all game, the guy I played great board control and stopped me getting in range of him to shoot him off. Second loss was against a mixed order gun line that just out shot and played me, 3 wins were all against Melee armies and the Atherstrike just counters them so hard, feed them your birds, Azyros and Juds and kill all with retaliation shooting from Raptors.

I run 9 Raptors, imo if your running Atherstrike you go all in. Full damage  on shooting and keep them wrapped up and safe, Protectors in front and Staunch Defender, Castellant  buff. Also a Reclitor in there to jump the Azyros forward first turn to get the 1st round of hero phase shooting, The Raptors can pump out huge damage, but you will struggle against anything that can outrange and damage your Raptors. Also try and avoid Skyfires/Changehost :)

16 minutes ago, Nun said:

Hello,
With GH2, I think most competitive army lists contain shoot units but I prefer to play melee combats rather than shooting.

Stardrake + fullminators or maybe a vanguard wing formation. Or why not the skybourne slayers formation. Lots and lots of options that is extremely competitive without to much shooting. 

55 minutes ago, Nun said:

Hello,

36 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Stardrake + fullminators or maybe a vanguard wing formation. Or why not the skybourne slayers formation. Lots and lots of options that is extremely competitive without to much shooting. 

And I'm a firm believer of Hammerstrike. So there's plenty to choose from.

3 hours ago, Collyc said:

Finished 25th with 3 Major wins and 2 Losses.

First Lost was against a Deamonsmith on a balewind that kept -2 Hit on Raptors all game, the guy I played great board control and stopped me getting in range of him to shoot him off. Second loss was against a mixed order gun line that just out shot and played me, 3 wins were all against Melee armies and the Atherstrike just counters them so hard, feed them your birds, Azyros and Juds and kill all with retaliation shooting from Raptors.

I run 9 Raptors, imo if your running Atherstrike you go all in. Full damage  on shooting and keep them wrapped up and safe, Protectors in front and Staunch Defender, Castellant  buff. Also a Reclitor in there to jump the Azyros forward first turn to get the 1st round of hero phase shooting, The Raptors can pump out huge damage, but you will struggle against anything that can outrange and damage your Raptors. Also try and avoid Skyfires/Changehost :)

Interesting to hear, thanks for your experience! My main concern with running Aetherstrike is the big unit of Longstrikes being the linchpin and not being that hard to kill for armies with range or magic. No redundancy means that if it gets taken down or wounded significantly, the list struggles to keep up. 

A key part of playing Aetherstrike is targeting priority. You need to know what your enemy is capable of doing to interfere with your Raptors and eliminate those threats. Drop Judicators or Hurricanes (or both) and kill key models. 

You should have killed the Daemonsmith before he had a chance to cast his spell - losing a unit to kill the Daemonsmith is absolutely worthwhile, especially in Aetherstrike where you get the retaliation shots. 

Sometimes the right decision is to keep your Raptors in reserve and drop them into play later. Alternatively you can deploy out of range of specific threats and then rapidly advance using Lightning Chariot.

The meta is evolving around stopping deathstar units with hit debuffs. It may be worth using 2x6 Longstrike instead of 1x3 + 1x9.

Dear golden boys,

I need your advice. Going into a couple of 1.5k tournaments soon (and few 2k, but I'm all set with those points) and I need your advice about list building.

My idea is to run a smaller version of the 2k army and have a Skyborn Slayers with 10 Judicators, 2x5 Liberators, 10 Protectors and 5 Decimators for one drop deep strike army. Question is, how valid/good idea this army may be? Set Judicators on board for safe shooting/objectives and just dump the rest on my enemy?

1 hour ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Dear golden boys,

I need your advice. Going into a couple of 1.5k tournaments soon (and few 2k, but I'm all set with those points) and I need your advice about list building.

My idea is to run a smaller version of the 2k army and have a Skyborn Slayers with 10 Judicators, 2x5 Liberators, 10 Protectors and 5 Decimators for one drop deep strike army. Question is, how valid/good idea this army may be? Set Judicators on board for safe shooting/objectives and just dump the rest on my enemy?

Skyborne is still very competitive and has placed well at Blackout and Facehammer, the two biggest GHB2017 GTs so far (that I know of). Keeping models on the table to start is a reasonable choice, it depends a lot on the mission, opponent, and board. Having some Juds to plink off wounds and touch objectives can be a large boon from time to time. 

On 02/10/2017 at 4:10 PM, Burf said:

There's a lot of failable die rolls and things out pacing each other going in in there. Also, If you're running celestant with staunch defender for the +to hit and not inspiring presence the blob has 18ish wounds before it wipes itself out to battleshock.

They have a movement differential of 1 and, yeah, a 2+ is "failable" as is any dice roll in AOS, but I'm not sure what you mean about the 18ish wounds wipeout. It starts with 30 wounds (at 2+). Takes some work to get that unit testing...

15 hours ago, Requizen said:

Skyborne is still very competitive and has placed well at Blackout and Facehammer, the two biggest GHB2017 GTs so far (that I know of). Keeping models on the table to start is a reasonable choice, it depends a lot on the mission, opponent, and board. Having some Juds to plink off wounds and touch objectives can be a large boon from time to time. 

Could you give a sample list?

I personally don't understand how people would take 10 Protectors over 10 Retributors. 

My list right now would be something like this: 

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Units
2 x Fulminators (240)
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
10 x Paladin Retributors (440)
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
Battalions
The Skyborne Slayers (240)
Reinforcement Points (0)
Total: 1840 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Leaders: 2/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4

And I have no idea what to do with the last 160 points. 

49 minutes ago, Frankenfreund said:

Could you give a sample list?

I personally don't understand how people would take 10 Protectors over 10 Retributors. 

My list right now would be something like this: 

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Units
2 x Fulminators (240)
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
10 x Paladin Retributors (440)
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
Battalions
The Skyborne Slayers (240)
Reinforcement Points (0)
Total: 1840 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Leaders: 2/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4

And I have no idea what to do with the last 160 points. 

Skyborne requires Protectors and Decimators, you don't get to use Retributors. 

Archived