Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

Well, doesn't the sylvaneth move with The forest is worded in the same way ?
My question was not about " can i leave combat with it " but " can i shoot After leaving combat with it "

Rules are pretty clear about shooting after retreat :

Units starting the movement phase within 3″ of an enemy unit can either remain stationary or retreat. If you choose to retreat, the unit must end its move more than 3″ away from all enemy units. If a unit retreats, then it can’t shoot or charge later that turn.

However, I would still question whether you could ride like the wind as a retreat. Retreating is different to moving normally as per the wording in the ability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

run and retreat are a normal movement (you can even run AND retreat)

since the spirit path give to the sylvaneth the possiblity to go away without it being a retreat (at least, i never seen it count as a retreat) and it's worded in the exact same way as the vanguard pallador rule.

any vanguard pallador player here to say how he played them ?

I've been using this lately, and it seems to be a bit too good, but from reading the faq it seems legit. Can anyone see any problems with it?

*Vanguard Wing - 3x3 Prosecutors, 1x5 Judicators, 1x20 hammer & shield Liberators with 4 Grandhammers.

Supported by a Staunch Defender Lord Celestant on foot and a Bless Weapons Lord Relictor (plus optional Lord Castellant and Knight Heraldor).

Teleport them to within 3" of selected enemy (as its a Set-Up, not a move), conga lining the unit enough that they stay within buff range of the Celestant, then just pile them in in the fight phase, keeping the staunch defender bonus... 2+ rerolling ones if the Castellant has buffed them.

In combat Bearers of the Storm and Bless Weapons are an awesome combo. With the Celestants Furious Retribution buff they are generating double wound rolls AND extra attacks (which can themselves generate double wound rolls) on a 5+, although I generally try and pick on big things to improve that to a 4+ with Lay Low the Tyrants. If your dice are on fire 9 Grandhammer attacks have the potential to chuck out 72 damage! 

Thoughts? Obviously killing the Heroes is it's main weakness. Currently I'm running mirror shields and a unit of Protectors to try and mitigate shooting. I was also thinking of adding an Errant-Questor with the bodyguard oath to soak mortal wounds, but that seems a little excessive.

Also the Vanguard Wing with the 4 heroes and another Judicator retinue comes in at 1460-1500 depending on Prosecutor loadout. What to spend the last 500 points on? Currently I'm using Protectors and then random bits (Longstrikes or Celestant on Dracoth, along with a small squad of Liberators, or a bulked up Prosecutor unit). Or I could replace the second Judicator squad with 5 Liberators and go all javelins on the Prosecutors which would leave me with 600 points that I could use for a Celestant on Stardrake...

the celestant on stardrake would be useless. It's a dead weight who don't buff your army

one interesting thing would be some units of vanguard hunter and a aquilor. If the ennemy line is stucked in a fight with your liberators, those guys could come from anywhere,  blocking retreat lines, killing fragiles heroes and taking objectives while your main line slaughter everything

i think for 600 pts, you can have a minimal hammerstrike force (2x5 protectors = 200, 1x3 prosecutors = 80, hammerstrike = 120 ) who can complement nicely your vanguard wing

32 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I've been using this lately, and it seems to be a bit too good, but from reading the faq it seems legit. Can anyone see any problems with it?

*Vanguard Wing - 3x3 Prosecutors, 1x5 Judicators, 1x20 hammer & shield Liberators with 4 Grandhammers.

Supported by a Staunch Defender Lord Celestant on foot and a Bless Weapons Lord Relictor (plus optional Lord Castellant and Knight Heraldor).

Teleport them to within 3" of selected enemy (as its a Set-Up, not a move), conga lining the unit enough that they stay within buff range of the Celestant, then just pile them in in the fight phase, keeping the staunch defender bonus... 2+ rerolling ones if the Castellant has buffed them.

In combat Bearers of the Storm and Bless Weapons are an awesome combo. With the Celestants Furious Retribution buff they are generating double wound rolls AND extra attacks (which can themselves generate double wound rolls) on a 5+, although I generally try and pick on big things to improve that to a 4+ with Lay Low the Tyrants. If your dice are on fire 9 Grandhammer attacks have the potential to chuck out 72 damage! 

Thoughts? Obviously killing the Heroes is it's main weakness. Currently I'm running mirror shields and a unit of Protectors to try and mitigate shooting. I was also thinking of adding an Errant-Questor with the bodyguard oath to soak mortal wounds, but that seems a little excessive.

Also the Vanguard Wing with the 4 heroes and another Judicator retinue comes in at 1460-1500 depending on Prosecutor loadout. What to spend the last 500 points on? Currently I'm using Protectors and then random bits (Longstrikes or Celestant on Dracoth, along with a small squad of Liberators, or a bulked up Prosecutor unit). Or I could replace the second Judicator squad with 5 Liberators and go all javelins on the Prosecutors which would leave me with 600 points that I could use for a Celestant on Stardrake...

I would consider and test more judicators in the vanguard wing judicator unit.  Maybe extra relictor(s).

They get the same benefits as the liberators.

3+ 3+ and -1 rend (especially the rend) from 24" away is great. You'd have 4 shockbolt bows. The benefit with bless weapons and the judicator prime with the shockbolt bow is even greater as it's +1 to hit.

Interpretation depending each shockbolt are doing 2d6 wound rolls on a single successful 6+ (5+ for the prime) to hit.

Really solves hero killing issues for the most part.

@ledha - I have tried Hunters and an Aquilor before. The Aquilor I thought was pretty good at chucking out damage, but I never seemed to get good results with Hunters, even with a biggish squad. I really want to keep the Celestant as my general for Furious Retribution, so I can only use the astral compass once. I'll give them another try and see if I can get them to work.

@Turragor - I was thinking about another Relictor, but I have a sneaking suspicion that GHB 2 will add prayers to the rule of 1. I do think trying out a bigger Judicator may be good though. The downside is they don't get any stackable to hit bonuses, so it's harder to get the Bless Weapons/Bearers of the Storm bonus.

you could take the tempest lord chamber. You only need to add one more prosecutor unit. It will give you another magic item, and since you can add any unit in this mega battalion, make your army one drop, greatly improving your chance to get first turn when needed. It give a very good mobility to the prosecutors too (basically, you can use the charge to move away)

4 minutes ago, ledha said:

you could take the tempest lord chamber. You only need to add one more prosecutor unit. It will give you another magic item, and since you can add any unit in this mega battalion, make your army one drop, greatly improving your chance to get first turn when needed. It give a very good mobility to the prosecutors too (basically, you can use the charge to move away)

Tempest Lords could be nice.

9 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I was thinking about another Relictor, but I have a sneaking suspicion that GHB 2 will add prayers to the rule of 1. I do think trying out a bigger Judicator may be good though. The downside is they don't get any stackable to hit bonuses, so it's harder to get the Bless Weapons/Bearers of the Storm bonus.

You can roll with 'divine light' on a target unit if you can get within 12" with the relictor. Also some good defensive uses. Take 3! Bless Weapons, Divine Light, Lightning Chariot :)

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

I agree Tempest Lords would be cool, if only for the single drop - but I don't wanna repaint my whole army!

I play with Celestial Vindicators and I've the Hammers of Sigmar scheme.

I thought it would annoy me more BUT given it has taken me 2 years to gather and paint what I have and painting another 2,000 to my standard would be about the same (given the time I get) I don't feel so bad.

I'd started this army before the different stormhosts were a thing so I'm cutting myself some slack!

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

I'd started this army before the different stormhosts were a thing so I'm cutting myself some slack!

Me too - and it's a homebrew Stormhost as well, so I don't know why I'm beating myself up about it! :P 

46 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Me too - and it's a homebrew Stormhost as well, so I don't know why I'm beating myself up about it! :P 

just say they are the heir of something like that of the tempest lord and it's done ! :P

2 hours ago, Let's 'ere it for da boyz! said:

One of the Stormhosts from the new book.  Different force organizations similar to Space Marine chapters if you're familiar.  Each one has a unique color scheme and rules associated with it.

But nowhere in the book does it say it needs to be painted a certain way.  Thankfully

16 hours ago, chord said:

But nowhere in the book does it say it needs to be painted a certain way.  Thankfully

People are used to see red-painted whitescars or worse now.

After all anything can happen, this the Age of Sigmar!

So I've finally had some success with the Aetherstrike force. I added another 3 long strikes and opted for a load of liberators to act as meat shields and tie up the enemy instead of adding some paladins. 

I was against a blades of khorne army which was a good match up, but by the beginning of turn 4 all he had was 2 characters left and 1 wrath monger. 

Getting blessed weapons off on the longstikes was amazing. 

So yea, aetherforce is pretty solid. I'd like to try the list against different armies to see how it perfroms. 

So I've finally had some success with the Aetherstrike force. I added another 3 long strikes and opted for a load of liberators to act as meat shields and tie up the enemy instead of adding some paladins. 
I was against a blades of khorne army which was a good match up, but by the beginning of turn 4 all he had was 2 characters left and 1 wrath monger. 
Getting blessed weapons off on the longstikes was amazing. 
So yea, aetherforce is pretty solid. I'd like to try the list against different armies to see how it perfroms. 

Would that have made it 9 or 12 for you ?

21 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

Can you share your list and what objectives etc you were playing emoji1303.png

Nothing overly fancy, we were playing blood and glory *i think* number 2 scenario in the GHB. Aether wings are what scored objectives while remaining within 12" to trigger the battalion ability. 

IMG_4228.PNG

Here's the 2k list i've been testing out since my area is going heavy into Kharadron Overlords.

General: Drakesworn Templar(500) - feather foe torc, Consummate Commander

hero: lord-relictor(80) - lightning chariot

hero: lord-celestant(100) - armor of silvered sigmarite

hero: lord-castellant(100)

vanguard wing (100)

3 prosecutors w/ javelins(80)

5 liberators w/ grandhammer, hammers/shields (100)

5 judicators w/ shockbolt bow, bows(160)

5 liberators w/grandhammer, hammers/shields (100)

4 fulminators(480)

gryph hound (40)

Seems to do pretty well, my opponents try to focus fire my dragon with their flyers and just couldn't bring the drakesworn templar down,  I have the gryph hound set up near my judicators in case of unexpected deploying of airships in my back field. Fulminators mop up with prosecutors fanning out to grab objectives/ call in liberators with the vanguard wing ability if needed.

Here's the 2k list i've been testing out since my area is going heavy into Kharadron Overlords.

General: Drakesworn Templar(500) - feather foe torc, Consummate Commander

hero: lord-relictor(80) - lightning chariot

hero: lord-celestant(100) - armor of silvered sigmarite

hero: lord-castellant(100)

vanguard wing (100)

5 liberators w/ grandhammer, hammers/shields (100)

5 judicators w/ shockbolt bow, bows(160)

5 liberators w/grandhammer, hammers/shields (100)

4 fulminators(480)

gryph hound (40)

Seems to do pretty well, my opponents try to focus fire my dragon with their flyers and just couldn't bring the drakesworn templar down,  I have the gryph hound set up near my judicators in case of unexpected deploying of airships in my back field. Fulminators mop up with prosecutors fanning out to grab objectives/ call in liberators with the vanguard wing ability if needed.

Looks awesome, is it worth dropping the celestant to upgrade to LCoSD to buff your fulms?

Archived