Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

32 minutes ago, Taketheskull said:

Taketheskull hates Karma:

1. Assembles and paints Celestial Vindicators stormhost exclusively with hammers.

2. Repeatedly mocks gaming group's other Stormcast player for using effeminate bladed weapons.

3. Karma swiftly boots Taketheskull in bottom.

IMG_2387.JPG.3b5841ed40e96b6bb0ea5d0bd5f6c9de.JPG

That is sad, and they look so good. That makes it more sad.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Taketheskull said:

1. Assembles and paints Celestial Vindicators stormhost exclusively with hammers.

2. Repeatedly mocks gaming group's other Stormcast player for using effeminate bladed weapons.

My god, that's a fine looking army.

4 hours ago, BURF1 said:

I disagree that the nature of the list is the only, or even most important factor in determining a 'competitive game' but do agree that it is not the purpose of this thread to discuss that.

Vanguard raptors have been 'leaked' to be 35$ to a box, and I know it's been addressed her already but do we really think there's even an outside chance it's a box of 6 rather than 3?

It's 6 models not 6 raptors.  So I hear.

3 Raptors and 3 Aetherwings. Makes sense given how the warscrolls rules intertwine.

2 hours ago, Taketheskull said:

The lord of wizzywigg is coming for us Stormcast.

The Chamber battalions I heard Rob and Eddie explain away much as I have (the mortal realms are a big place and other hosts can adopt the very same tactics of the hosts in the battalions OR this chamber has different heraldry from others in the same host).

So I could keep my unifying hammers of sigmar colour scheme for troops and use them in these battalions. I am however tempted to build a new Stormcast army in a complementary scheme for a break and for fun.

Swords v hammers is harder though. Personally I've no problem with it. It's a time, effort and money limitation. Maybe that'd be like Ben Curry suggested in his podcast - some tournament organisers would give points for proper wysiwyg armies.

3 minutes ago, Turragor said:

It's 6 models not 6 raptors.  So I hear.

3 Raptors and 3 Aetherwings. Makes sense given how the warscrolls rules intertwine.

So if you want to run a full unit of 12 raptors you're stuck with A) paying 140$ and B) 3 more aetherwings than you're likely to ever use. God help you if you wanted to run 18-24(me). Oh well, I guess that's what they invented garbage cans for.

1 minute ago, BURF1 said:

So if you want to run a full unit of 12 raptors you're stuck with A) paying 140$ and B) 3 more aetherwings than you're likely to ever use. God help you if you wanted to run 18-24(me). Oh well, I guess that's what they invented garbage cans for.

Or you could set fire to the spare aetherwings and inhale the toxic plastic fumes in order to speed your way off this mortal coil that so wounds your sweet soul...

Me? I would probably opt for the less dramatic selling of the aetherwings or using them for conversions.

2 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Or you could set fire to the spare aetherwings and inhale the toxic plastic fumes in order to speed your way off this mortal coil that so wounds your sweet soul...

Me? I would probably opt for the less dramatic selling of the aetherwings or using them for conversions.

Don't get me wrong, the first 9 I think will be awesome, I more meant it as an indictment of GW packaging two tangentially related kits together as one to try and make them seem like a better deal. The gryph hound thing from before wasn't terrible because you usually only ended up with 2-3 but cramming two full units together seems silly, especially since the diminishing returns on aetherwings kicks in much faster than the raptors. Side note: I don't do conversions and I can't see them retaining enough value to be worth selling.

As for the stormcast painting thing, if wysiwyg is so important that you can get penalized for having the wrong color scheme then I don't see how using unofficial models, conversions, or unconventional posing could possibly be justifiable. Terry Pike has an amazingly done Great Unclean One conversion that he's clearly spent a ton of time and money putting together and it looks awesome...HOWEVER it is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than an actual great unclean one. That difference in silhouette will have more of an impact than how a stormcast army is painted while still managing to be totally negligible to the outcome of the game. Tying tournament performance to specific modeling decisions(I.E. WHAT you do rather than how well you do it) is just...bleh.

13 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

Don't get me wrong, the first 9 I think will be awesome, I more meant it as an indictment of GW packaging two tangentially related kits together as one to try and make them seem like a better deal. The gryph hound thing from before wasn't terrible because you usually only ended up with 2-3 but cramming two full units together seems silly, especially since the diminishing returns on aetherwings kicks in much faster than the raptors. Side note: I don't do conversions and I can't see them retaining enough value to be worth selling.

As for the stormcast painting thing, if wysiwyg is so important that you can get penalized for having the wrong color scheme then I don't see how using unofficial models, conversions, or unconventional posing could possibly be justifiable. Terry Pike has an amazingly done Great Unclean One conversion that he's clearly spent a ton of time and money putting together and it looks awesome...HOWEVER it is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than an actual great unclean one. That difference in silhouette will have more of an impact than how a stormcast army is painted while still managing to be totally negligible to the outcome of the game. Tying tournament performance to specific modeling decisions(I.E. WHAT you do rather than how well you do it) is just...bleh.

Maybe we wil see a rebox of the raptors in the future reflecting this. As it is I might try to convert prosecutors with spare aetherwing-wings! That idea is patent pending!

Edit/ I think with wysiwyg its a common sense thing that can lead to two bad areas.

Colours I don't think matter for stormhosts. Colours for SM chapters are often tied to different slightly different kits (death company, deathwing, most space wolves etc).

Weapons wise, I'd hate for our friend above to feel he needs to magnetise all the fiddly weapons to have swords or maces, or worse have double so many models to match the criteria for 2 similar but different lists.

then again, when someone DOES go to the time and effort to do it, won't they feel a little bit ... down when the meet their opponent?

I met a guy in a tourney once who had bought his models from a friend the week before, they were magnetised for weapon options but he didn't even put the right ones on so the paladins ran around with sticks!

I must admit I didn't care so much but I did make a mental comparison between his models and mine and feel a bit "Oh come on".

PLUS I lost! haha

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

The Chamber battalions I heard Rob and Eddie explain away much as I have (the mortal realms are a big place and other hosts can adopt the very same tactics of the hosts in the battalions OR this chamber has different heraldry from others in the same host).

So I could keep my unifying hammers of sigmar colour scheme for troops and use them in these battalions. I am however tempted to build a new Stormcast army in a complementary scheme for a break and for fun.

Swords v hammers is harder though. Personally I've no problem with it. It's a time, effort and money limitation. Maybe that'd be like Ben Curry suggested in his podcast - some tournament organisers would give points for proper wysiwyg armies.

Are you implying that if my army is painted Hammers of Sigmar that I may not be able to use any other chamber tactics except their own?
I really hope that's not going to be the case.

8 minutes ago, Olincay said:

Are you implying that if my army is painted Hammers of Sigmar that I may not be able to use any other chamber tactics except their own?
I really hope that's not going to be the case.

Not for me but there is the possibility some TOs want that.

Or at the very least they give out bonus points if you match your colours to the battalion. Or strip points if you don't.

The risk is there, I guess it's something decided on a tourney by tourney basis.

2 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Or at the very least they give out bonus points if you match your colours to the battalion. Or strip points if you don't.

The risk is there, I guess it's something decided on a tourney by tourney basis.

I think that's a pretty harsh call if TO's do decide to rule it like that. Don't sylvaneth have differing abilities on which grove they are or something?
*my knowledge on sylvaneth is pretty poor*

There's a good Age of Sigmar Daily about the subject of painting your stormhost in the respective colour schemes. Worth a listen. There has been no indication by anyone that you would be precluded from using the specific Warrior chambers with different paint schemes. Ben has suggested a small bonus in his tournaments for being WYSIWYG. That seems perfectly reasonable to me! 

2 hours ago, Turragor said:

A dark metallic color like titanium (which would be my prime choice when painting sc) could complement well with this army. . Then do the accents in this blue.

What do you think about that competetive list:

Lord Celestant

Lord Relictor ( Blessed Weapons)

Knight Azyros

Knight Venator

2x 5 Retributors (4Starsoul)

2x 5 Judicators (Hammer/Shield/Grandhammer)

1x 3 Prosecutors with Javelins

1x5 Liberators

2x 3 Vanguard Raptors with Longstrike

2x 3 Aetherwings

Hammerstrike Force

Aetherstrike Force 

2000 points

(2 artifacts to go, im not sure which ones)

any tips?

15 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

What do you think about that competetive list:

Lord Celestant

Lord Relictor ( Blessed Weapons)

Knight Azyros

Knight Venator

2x 5 Retributors (4Starsoul)

2x 5 Judicators (Hammer/Shield/Grandhammer)

1x 3 Prosecutors with Javelins

1x5 Liberators

2x 3 Vanguard Raptors with Longstrike

2x 3 Aetherwings

Hammerstrike Force

Aetherstrike Force 

2000 points

(2 artifacts to go, im not sure which ones)

any tips?

Well, that's basically my new list, but I will use Hurricane Raptors, I guess.

Longstrike are so tempting and sweet looking, but they're quite random, hit or miss.

Hurricane, on the other hand, should be awesome with a "Bless Weapon" prayed by Relictor.

And items: You can choose 3 items. 1 standard and 2 thanks to 2 battalions. Prayers doesn't count as items.

Boy, if you want to upset some players in an expensive game, having them repaint a 2k point army just to take something in the rule book is a way to do it. I enjoy painting, but I don't enjoy it enough to want to redo everything if I've already done it. Also, what happens when you paint your Celestial Vindicators and find out you want to do a different chapter for the next tournament?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm coming around to Vanguard-Palladors. I wasn't sure at first, since they don't have the 3+/rr1 of the Dracothian Guard nor quite the offensive punch, but getting 50% more wounds and more (weaker) attacks for a slightly cheaper price (though around the same overall) is making me consider them more. I think they're a bit expensive and don't have the punch to be the "core" unit of your army, but as a relative tough flank/harasser that can also wipe lighter units, I think they'll perform quite well. Can't wait to try them on the tabletop.

@ledha Yes but you need 2 units for hammerstrike force.

@hexagon oh yes 3 items, youre right. But theres no hero who can carry a standard i think. Good idea with the the Raptors i also wanted to magnetise them. For the 40 points i could take 1 gryph hound which i could setup next to the range units.

@ requizen sorry but i dont like the palladors

1. There are not so tanky like dracothians

2. no stormbreath attack

Archived