Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

14 minutes ago, Xasz said:

On paper, sure.

In reality you are only a little bit better than normal armies against magic, while forfeiting almost all magic and shooting.

I beg to differ. All of those things work in reality (I’ve done them). Also Slaughterpriest fill the roles of wizards very well and if we take the rules in isolation they’ve got a bit better as well because Bronzed Flesh is better than mystic shield. Not forgetting that prayers can’t be unbound currently.  The only time I’ve had any issue with opposing magic was when the casters were outside the range of my portal of skulls and unbinding range and that was before the Blades of Khorne Battletome. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I beg to differ. All of those things work in reality (I’ve done them). Also Slaughterpriest fill the roles of wizards very well and if we take the rules in isolation they’ve got a bit better as well because Bronzed Flesh is better than mystic shield. Not forgetting that prayers can’t be unbound currently.  The only time I’ve had any issue with opposing magic was when the casters were outside the range of my portal of skulls and unbinding range. 

The priests are the only thing that holds BoK at least somewhat together and they automatically force you to pick a 180p battalion.

A magic heavy opponent will still bring most of his spells through and even if not, he'll most likely just walk all over you.

EDIT: 

I wonder if they will adjust Bronzed Flesh and Blood Boil to mirror Mystic Shield and Arcane Bolt again.

7 minutes ago, Xasz said:

The priests are the only thing that holds BoK at least somewhat together and they automatically force you to pick a 180p battalion.

A magic heavy opponent will still bring most of his spells through and even if not, he'll most likely just walk all over you.

Well that’s not true given that the Murderhost is generally considered (by better players than I) one of the most powerful formations in the game.  I do love me some Gore Pilgrims however and it’s worth everyone of those 180ots 

Blades of Khorne have some of the best magcial defences in the games which have just got a bit better (based on the information available) 

1 hour ago, Bloodmaster said:

Ah the good old times, where nearly no army could get a spell of against my mortal mono-khorne list HD after the magic phase I still had dispell dice left. What a glorious edition of WhFB that was. 

7 dispel dice and 3 scrolls were often not enough for my Dwarfs around here :( Khorne had the ability to go after the mages, while Dwarfs were wishing ones to look out sir rolls :)

The part about the endless spells where they said that  they can be dispelled instead of casting a spell is bit worrying. Though in our gaming group the magic plays so small role, that I have a felling the endless spells won't feature heavily on our games.

22 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Well that’s not true given that the Murderhost is generally considered (by better players than I) one of the most powerful formations in the game.  I do love me some Gore Pilgrims however and it’s worth everyone of those 180ots 

Blades of Khorne have some of the best magcial defences in the games which have just got a bit better (based on the information available) 

Murderhost pretty much died out.

Considering magic defense and 2.0, everyone got better by the same factor and Khorne and some other armies will be left out by the new and fancy stuff.

But this probably boils down to the same question, will GW be able to balance the new spells and summoning although no one expects them to be able to?

I might be a negative Nancy, but I'm at least interested in how they are going to approach all this from a game design perspective  because they've set themselves quite the task. :D

I think Khorne's relative strength will improve in AoS 2. The Command point changes will help them, they get a form of summoning,  they benefit from the nerfs to shooting and the improved unbind will help them against average magic armies. Against every army except legions of Nagash they will do better. 

If we look at the changes seen so far legions of Nagash is by far the obvious winner.

Command points, shooting nerfs, summoning, endless spells, and magic changes all help them. 

7 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

Well if the combat goes in to chargers hitting first. I believe that the Khorne players are not worrying about the magic changes too much... :)

It's double-edged, if Khorne, or most heavy hitters for that matter, are getting charged themselves, they are probably just gonna die at the same rate their target would.

Ultimately giving more and more power to the dreaded double turn.

At least that is what I'm expecting if this rumour pulls through.

1 minute ago, Xasz said:

It's double-edged, if Khorne, or most heavy hitters for that matter, is getting charged themselves, they are probably just gonna die at the same rate their target would.

Ultimately giving more and more power to the dreaded double turn.

At least that is what I'm expecting if this rumour pulls through.

Yeah it's a complicated thing, but surely Khorne can be one of the armies that benefit from it. Let's see.

53 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Murderhost pretty much died out.

Considering magic defense and 2.0, everyone got better by the same factor and Khorne and some other armies will be left out by the new and fancy stuff.

But this probably all leads to the same question, will GW be able to balance the new spells and summoning although no one expects them to be able to?

I might be a negative Nancy, but I'm at least interested in how they are going to approach all this from a game design perspective  because they've set themselves quite the task. :D

Well I think they can balance it. 

They’ve already shown some of the ways  they are going to do this in the previews.

None of the changes shown have weakened Khorne, their defences against magic and shooting have improved.  Mystic shield and Arcane bolt have been weakened. 

Endless spells are the only wildcard and what we’ve so far can be as dangerous to the user as the target and they’re still unbindable

53 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

7 dispel dice and 3 scrolls were often not enough for my Dwarfs around here :( Khorne had the ability to go after the mages, while Dwarfs were wishing ones to look out sir rolls 

Pah, I raise you 12-15 dispel dice, collars of Khorne and no dispel scrolls. 

Would be interesting to see something like this back again and giving the priests a separet system from magic, both Khornat priests and others like sigmar or Dwarfs. Separate faith and arcane might! With faith not dispellable but weaker for example, our only by opposing faiths

4 minutes ago, Bloodmaster said:

Pah, I raise you 12-15 dispel dice, collars of Khorne and no dispel scrolls. 

Would be interesting to see something like this back again and giving the priests a separet system from magic, both Khornat priests and others like sigmar or Dwarfs. Separate faith and arcane might! With faith not dispellable but weaker for example, our only by opposing faiths

It would be interesting if there was a mechanism to "please the gods" by doing suitable stuff and the power of the prayers would be dependent on that. Maybe Malign Faith could be  the next supplement? :)

10 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

It would be interesting if there was a mechanism to "please the gods" by doing suitable stuff

Isn't that how they described the new summoning system?

But yes, it could be cool to see prayers boosted by pleasing the gods since AoS is a setting where gods are very active

It seems that the 2 next weeks at GW shop will be focused on 40K knights.  Maybe only one week. That means that since the june 15th  (or 9th) we have a open boulevard for AoS2.

I like the 9th because it is the release day of the next white dwarf. And GW has delayed this very WD for a reason I guess. So, the waiting is touching an end B|

3 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I don't find any info about the miniatures representing the endless spells. Will they be sold separatly or a pack with them all? Do we need several of each (I think so)?

I feel that there will be a full set available  and then individual ones to purchase. 

The spell models will be one of the easiest things to scratch build there is. 

You can can put a lot of effort into it, or you can base and spray paint a ping pong ball the appropriate colour and you’re away. 

I'm trying to get some perspective on legacy stub factions being expanded in AoS. We have Daughters of Khaine and Nighthaunt that were technically playable but limited factions getting(or going to get) releases that add a lot more options. I'm a little fuzzier on the older factions that got updates. Beastclaw raiders, Seraphon, Flesheater Courts and Bonesplitterz only got books and no new models, right? So they were never stub factions that got expanded. Ironjawz came into AoS with black orcs/ardboys only and the rest of their range is new putting them on about the same footing as Fyreslayers being a single aspect of an old WHFB army that got realized as a whole new faction, but they actually carried over a unit? I'm even fuzzier on Syvaneth. Did they get anything other than Allarielle?

Archived