Future of chaos

Trayanee

12 hours ago, Xasz said:

As it stands right now, Khorne is just downright depressing to play. Without priests you would almost instantly skip two phases, on top of being on the lower spectrum of the tier list. (spellcasters will never be a thing for Khorne due to fluff, about half of our hero slots are always reserved for priests... so give us at least some ****** skirmisher :( 

Well for me this is exactly the point. Although not being able to interact in the shooting phase is not fun, adding a marauder like trowing spears/axes unit would defeat the martial close combat feel. So choosing Bloodbound should come at the price of no shooting in my opinion. Otherwise go General Chaos or other factions. (also Khorgoraths, bloodthirster of unfettered fury and Skull cannons are already options to get you active in the shooting phase)

But different people different tastes, no worries.  

7 hours ago, klggor1 said:

I remember hearing (not sure if it's true) that Beastmen in WHFB took the form of goatmen because that's what the humans in that region would fear the most, whereas in other parts of the world they had Beastmen that were more gorilla-like or took on the form of other animals. I would like something like that, different Beastmen types for different realms maybe?

Yeah it was mentioned but we didn't really see any sketches of it nor a large explanation. It was just more confirmed that indeed, chaotic as Chaos is not all Beastmen are Ox-men and indeed Tiger like appearances seem to appear in Lustria and such. I do agree that there is potential for this! But I think GW has allready implemented this somewhat too. Just think about the Desciples of Tzeentch beastmen.

it may feel bad to be focused on melee with Khorne but it is good that they dont make every army stormcast and be the jack of all trades having a bit of everything. Thats part of what makes stormcast boring and it would ruin the game if they did that too all factions . I welcome specialization and having polar strengths and weaknesses in the armys because that makes it way more interesting to play and each army feels different and unique. the answer is not to give them more shooting its in the choice of what you want to play. If you want more shooting take an army that does more of that. You may feel you want less delineation between army's but really it would be a worse experience for everyone. 

I expect a Slaanesh book by the end of the year. With the fluff coming out I imagine that its building up to his return. 

Skaven need a LoN style book. Things like Masterclan will never be a legitimate faction, and the compendium style would work for them. Call it Children of the Horned Rat. This will probably be next year though at the soonest.

I would like to see a Breyherd/warherd/beast of chaos book. I would also like to see Morghur return as the 6th chaos god. He was already some sort of immortal demi god, and would be perfect as the chaos god of corruption. He is about tainting and warping nature. His focus would be on Ghurr and the beasts there.

Lastly, a DoK style release for Thunderscorn. This is what I am really looking forward to. It could be an amazing looking elite army.

After that they would have to come up with something new.

Centaurs /ogors/dragon ogors faction with a beast of chaos faction style would be interesting

Human chaos reboot is 100% sure, since they are nearly complete as faction, just 1 change to varanguard to be played without archaon, maybe with Mark of chaos without him on the field, I would play them in my nurgle army for sure with that change

I would like to see a Slaanesh update that deals a bit less with half naked sexy time things. 

Just spit balling here but maybe one that is inspired by the layers of the Dark Princes Palace.  

A few examples of units in such an army:

Bloated gluttons  that lumber across the battlefield gaining strength from devoured foes. 

Jewel encrusted character that can claim the artefact from slain heroes. 

Warriors with delusions of greatness that gain strength  when fighting units with more wounds than them, but fighting equally matched units cause them to suffer on their hit roles.

Mages that lounge around, emitting an aura that prevent them from being harmed easily.

Glorious leaders that bask in the adoration of their followers. Gaining bonuses when around other Slaanshii units.

6 hours ago, AGPO said:

Re: Khorne and shooting skirmishers, you can always take allied ungor raiders, or give the mark of Khorne to some marauder horsemen.

I am aware of these guys, but they are on the brink of being discontinued and would actually lower your overall win%.

7 hours ago, Kramer said:

Although not being able to interact in the shooting phase is not fun

The issue is more or less, if Khorne would be the absolute pinnacle of CQC, there would be no problem. Sadly this is not the case, there are several builds which can either match or even outclass Khorne in that regard. If you like it or not, AoS depends a lot on casting and shooting. Having no reasonable access to either, while not being the best at your gimmick, is depressing.

12 minutes ago, josh1989 said:

dont make every army stormcast

I think we are not on the same page when I'm talking about shooting in Khorne. I don't mean there should be a Skyfire equivalent that just chucks spears instead of arrows... it should be more along the lines of how Death handles shooting (rather short range, very limited, only few units) or do you consider LoN being and all-rounder or possible shooty army?

Throwing axes/spears shouldn't be the main purpose of a unit but a feature, like beasts/doggies that can barf boiling blood, hulky muscular thingies that can vomit sculls onto our enemies marking them for slaughter... be a bit creative. :D 

On topic: A Darkoath or Everchosen revision could be interesting, especially if they keep StD alive. I like their heavy armoured evil knightish look and while it is true that the models are rather static,  I'd consider them one of the best aging models out there. 

1 hour ago, calcysimon said:

just 1 change to varanguard to be played without archaon, maybe with Mark of chaos without him on the field, I would play them in my nurgle army for sure with that change

I feel like this is very unlikely from a story-pov with how the Varanguard are Archaon's personal contingent. That said I'd love to paint them up for my Khorne boyz.

edit: It's almost guarunteed to be Slaanesh next like everyone has said. But then they will probably merge Everchosen, and StD into Darkoath so maybe the Varanguard could be allied in with a mark then, that'd be neat.

light shooting like LoN would be fine but i dont see that having a big impact on your game, if you feel it would thats fair. Khornes murderhost is one of the strongest melee formations in the game so i would not say you are outclassed with that and it does hit the top 10-20 in touny lists.  So you so have access to a very strong melee army build. Most armys are defined by one battalion, Tzeentch change host and Nurgle Blight Cyst so i dont see that as an issue either. 

Personally this is  what I see:

Slaanesh update - pretty much guaranteed at this point

StD either updated to Darkoath or merged with Everchosen to actually make Archaon a relevant antagonist again 

Beastmen - I expect it one day but not for a long time 

Khorne - I expect we will see a Khorne update in the near future when the new World Eaters drop for 40K as it's very possible that the daemon side of Khorne will get a couple new models (heralds etc) also may see a Khorgorath kit as I can see the unit making a transition to 40K too 

Skaven LoN style book

This is honestly it for now I think, Chaos doesn't need a big new never before seen faction in all honesty, they're well fleshed out as an allegiance and just need odd bits to get it to the next level 

9 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Beastmen - I expect it one day but not for a long time

When DoT dropped, I somewhat expected them to add god-specific gors for each book but for some reason they are missing in BoK and MoN.

I doubt they scrapped the idea and hope GW delivers them at some point.

Related to this, I expect Beastmen to fade out and follow the Tzaangor example in time. If GW feels like it, I can see a reboot with a new range of models in the distant future.

9 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Khorne - I expect we will see a Khorne update in the near future when the new World Eaters drop for 40K as it's very possible that the daemon side of Khorne will get a couple new models (heralds etc) also may see a Khorgorath kit as I can see the unit making a transition to 40K too 

World Eaters should be far, far away... :(  but yeah, I think your prediction is accurate.

14 hours ago, Xasz said:

I am aware of these guys, but they are on the brink of being discontinued and would actually lower your overall win%.

The discontinuation is pure speculation, especially since horsemen have just recently been reboxed with ovals  in a larger set.

9 hours ago, Xasz said:

When DoT dropped, I somewhat expected them to add god-specific gors for each book but for some reason they are missing in BoK and MoN.

I doubt they scrapped the idea and hope GW delivers them at some point.

Related to this, I expect Beastmen to fade out and follow the Tzaangor example in time. If GW feels like it, I can see a reboot with a new range of models in the distant future.

World Eaters should be far, far away... :(  but yeah, I think your prediction is accurate.

I think you can expect World Eaters next year absolutely 

Archived