Legions of Nagash: Coherency when respawning summonable models?

AmurayiWestgate

Question

7 answers to this question

Short answers first:

1.  No, replacing a slain model isn't a Move so you don't have to ensure unit coherency at the "end"

2. No, the only range is if you're within 9" of the model performing Deathly Invocation.

Longer answer now.  There aren't any restrictions when returning slain models to a unit (currently), you could theoretically place a returned model in the opposite corner of the battlefield if you wanted to!  Although that would then pretty much prevent you moving that unit ever again.

I think a certain amount of common sense should be used.  I always place returned models within 1" of another model - it keeps things tidier and ensures that I know what model belongs to what unit too!

One thing of note is that Necron's were FAQ'd the other day in that all returned models must be placed within 1" of the "alive" models - you couldn't return one model and then use that for the next one to place (i.e. daisy chaining).

25 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Longer answer now.  There aren't any restrictions when returning slain models to a unit (currently), you could theoretically place a returned model in the opposite corner of the battlefield if you wanted to!  Although that would then pretty much prevent you moving that unit ever again.

Wow. You're right, but that is a potentially really nasty rules-lawyering move to grab objectives in Total Conquest or Battle for the Pass. 

1 minute ago, Grimnaud said:

Wow. You're right, but that is a potentially really nasty rules-lawyering move to grab objectives in Total Conquest or Battle for the Pass. 

Agreed - would certainly earn you the label of "One of those players" (most likely less polite, but we're family friendly here)!

Would be even worse if you intentionally killed units using terrain then rolled a 5+ for Legions Innumerable...  Very much a case of "just because you could, doesn't mean you should"

Just now, RuneBrush said:

Agreed - would certainly earn you the label of "One of those players" (most likely less polite, but we're family friendly here)!

Would be even worse if you intentionally killed units using terrain then rolled a 5+ for Legions Innumerable...  Very much a case of "just because you could, doesn't mean you should"

Or even worse, set up the returned modells in CC anywhere you wanted on the table, and then just kept using the regen to teleport the unit anywhere you wanted. Preeeeetty sure someone ought to send GW a FAQ question about this so it gets fixed eventually. But right now summonable units are the new Vanguard wing.... Damned terrain, Legions Innumerable, Grave Guard, and Van hels :( 

8 minutes ago, Grimnaud said:

Or even worse, set up the returned modells in CC anywhere you wanted on the table, and then just kept using the regen to teleport the unit anywhere you wanted. Preeeeetty sure someone ought to send GW a FAQ question about this so it gets fixed eventually. But right now summonable units are the new Vanguard wing.... Damned terrain, Legions Innumerable, Grave Guard, and Van hels :( 

Blimey, the possibilities are crazy!  You could also pick what models you want to remove too :o

I have sent in this to FAQs so we could see the common sense clarified at some point ;)

17 hours ago, someone2040 said:

I think in general, this has been an issue in the game since day 1. It's just people have been using the best rule of all - the rule of common sense. i.e place the models in coherency with the other models in your unit.

Yeah, I feel like it could be spelled out better, but that it's not really necessary.  The core rules say units must be set up in coherency.  When you set up models, they are part of a unit, so should be set up in coherency.    Discussing it in a forum like this is a good thing because a consensus around a common sense and honest interpretation of the rules is quickly reached.  If anyone were to vehemently argue otherwise I would question their integrity.

Archived