Classic Zombie Dragon "Counts As"

themortalgod

Hey friends, so I have the classic old Zombie Dragon model that I've always quite liked that I'd like to run in games but it just feels "too small" to be an actual Zombie Dragon, its like half the size of the current model so was thinking it could be a zombie whelpling of sorts as if a young dragon was turned to a zombie. I'm thinking the closest models to use "counts as" is a Varghulf Courtier. What do you think? Reasonable? Or perhaps there is a better choice? 

I think the choice is up to you providing you tell your opponent.  There would be nothing stopping you popping it on the same sized base that comes with the plastic one and running it as a Zombie Dragon of Myth - pop some appropriate scenery on there and am sure it'll look pretty cool :)

2 hours ago, Grimnaud said:

5ac74558267b7_2018-04-0611_46_30.jpg.29b206fdc57bbbb8bbbf6bfe3188e627.jpg5ac7455e58438_2018-04-0611_59_13.jpg.fe67421cb9403973b6ade606fa67b2f8.jpg

I haven't had any issue using mine :-)

That fella is the Zacharius one, I was referring to the class 90s Zombie Dragon from before GW realized they could stand a dragon on its hind legs to make it bigger but still fit on a 50mm square. Here he is next to my Nef model for scale. 

IMG_2684.JPG.049d07c6159a14eaf15c2eded38d2b8d.JPG

4 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

How about a Mourngul? Paint it up as a ghostly undead dragon.

Ha, well the goal was to find a monster that is weaker the a normal zombie dragon. ;) Also Mournguls can't be taken in Legions. 

Build up the base a couple of inches and you should be fine. I love seeing the old models on the board :) I’ve been considering searching through ebay for that one, but I really doubt I’ll need-need another zombie dragon.

1 minute ago, Grimnaud said:

Build up the base a couple of inches and you should be fine. I love seeing the old models on the board :) I’ve been considering searching through ebay for that one, but I really doubt I’ll need-need another zombie dragon.

Ha, well, in theory, I'd be fine, just a bit weird having a model on the board that is half the size of another and yet being the exact same rules wise. ;) For the same reason it kinda bugs me when people put down old greater daemons "as greater daemons" now. I always use them as DPs now since they are so small relative to the new models. 

I think if you get the base right and mentally adjust the size for Line of sight issues all should be right.

if I would sneak 90s Big N behind a small woodshed I could understand some opponents kinda getting salty ;-D 

UI love the anatomy of the classic one (and ever hate the dragons with snake body). The new one is, technically, a Zombie wivern.

If you are also an "classic warhammer" player, you can take the AoS ZD base, build a thick basement (as rocks or whatever) and on the top shape an hole to place the original base. A lot of magnets can help to stabilise it. 

Archived