The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I'm playing a game tonight vs @Bueno and providing he doesn't mind the unpainted models, will probably rock out the 12 Gruntas for the lolz. I'll write a list later on.

No problem with you bringing your unpainted filth mate ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bueno said:

No problem with you bringing your unpainted filth mate ;)

Funny that! :P Wolves vs Pigs then is it?

@Sangfroid - I was looking through that list and thinking how good it was, then I noticed you had left the Cabbage at home...which may explain why you have so many units!! Big fan of the triple Warchanter tbh, I enjoyed using that a lot myself prior to Masters (again in a Cabbage-less list).

I see what you're saying with maximising the D3, but I would 100% go 15 and 2x 5 in that list.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

Also yes back on the green wagon of glory, I've enjoyed the tin-men but Bristol Smash might be the last chance for the Megabrutes competitively so I can't let the ladz down!

Ahhhh! I'm out of likes. I'll circle back round to this though, as Kieran Harper back on Ironjawz is worth a like from everyone!!

Good news mate, I'll go check the dates for that event now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@Sangfroid - I was looking through that list and thinking how good it was, then I noticed you had left the Cabbage at home...which may explain why you have so many units!! Big fan of the triple Warchanter tbh, I enjoyed using that a lot myself prior to Masters (again in a Cabbage-less list).

I see what you're saying with maximising the D3, but I would 100% go 15 and 2x 5 in that list.

I'd love to take the cabbage, but it's either him or the gorefist as I feel brutes are the actual auto include in every list because they needed across all armies (wish we could take both!) 

and cheers fella I never went away (for example I never once posted on the order section :-)) 

bristol smash is 3/4 of June £35 a ticket mark "donkey d" is TO and it will be great! 

• Like 2

I would probably go with something like this...

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (520)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Gorefist (120)

Total: 2000/2000

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Wolves it will be, but far from the list i'd like to run under the new book, need to get building some more models myself.

Loving the Gore Grunta conversions, especially the 2 hand weapons dude, reminiscent of the savage orruk boar boys.

I love the fact you are taking the time to make sure all you models are unique from each other. I was bowled over by the Ironjawz when they were released but the thing that is always held me back from starting them, and appreciating the army as much as i should when i see it on the tables is the limited model range and poses, but you've more than overcome that. I especially like the conversions you started of the bloodbowl orcs to Ard boyz, a great re-imagining of the unit.

i think the mournfang cav horn could be a nice conversion piece for the Gruntas, especially if you are doing banners, to finish a command team.

• Like 1

Really like these Gruntas, love the usage of bits from all over the place (Space Orks, Blood Bowl, etc...) to make your models unique. I recently built 2 Black Orc Blockers and 2 Blitzers for my Blood Bowl team from random bits I had lying around, and seeing your Gruntas is really inspiring me to put some more effort into converting my own Ironjawz. Great job!

• Like 1

Hey,

Wow...loads of replies today. Amazing. Loving all the Gorefist talk haha! As mentioned I'm out of likes but will apply them as relevant tomorrow. In general though, thanks for all the replies.

1 hour ago, Sangfroid said:

I'd love to take the cabbage, but it's either him or the gorefist as I feel brutes are the actual auto include in every list because they needed across all armies (wish we could take both!) 

and cheers fella I never went away (for example I never once posted on the order section :-)) 

bristol smash is 3/4 of June £35 a ticket mark "donkey d" is TO and it will be great! 

Yeh, if we're talking an actual sensible list, then I agree you need the Brutes. They are that important IMO.

Jokes aside, clearly it's ok for people to diversify and play with other armies. I feel playing Ironjawz is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster at times, so playing something more levelled and balanced is definitely appealing.

Ah, I'm at WHW the weekend before for Warhammerfest, so we'll have to see. I'm sure @Kaseliegth will love the nickname 'Donkey D'!

55 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

Loving the talk of Gorefist! Might actually be not bad in the current meta with the easy turn one charge. 

Looking at the lists posted though, I just can't bring myself to not put the cabbage on the table. Do it with the cabbage! 

Agree with all of this!!

Your list is just mine without the Megabrutes, no? I think that makes mine just more solid. What General/Trait/Artefact did you have planned?

44 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

love the gorechoppa one! haha

Cheers bro, he's a bit of work to make actually. Still got some greenstuffing to do.

30 minutes ago, Bueno said:

Wolves it will be, but far from the list i'd like to run under the new book, need to get building some more models myself.

Loving the Gore Grunta conversions, especially the 2 hand weapons dude, reminiscent of the savage orruk boar boys.

I love the fact you are taking the time to make sure all you models are unique from each other. I was bowled over by the Ironjawz when they were released but the thing that is always held me back from starting them, and appreciating the army as much as i should when i see it on the tables is the limited model range and poses, but you've more than overcome that. I especially like the conversions you started of the bloodbowl orcs to Ard boyz, a great re-imagining of the unit.

i think the mournfang cav horn could be a nice conversion piece for the Gruntas, especially if you are doing banners, to finish a command team.

Hey man, love that post, you've completely nailed what I wanted to achieve with the army. Not one of my 32 painted Brutes is the same, and likewise I wanted this for my Gore-gruntas. Nice shout on the horn, will try to get one.

18 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Really like these Gruntas, love the usage of bits from all over the place (Space Orks, Blood Bowl, etc...) to make your models unique. I recently built 2 Black Orc Blockers and 2 Blitzers for my Blood Bowl team from random bits I had lying around, and seeing your Gruntas is really inspiring me to put some more effort into converting my own Ironjawz. Great job!

Thanks @Solaris. I really enjoy kitbashing the various ranges, it's very rewarding. I definitely need to paint my Blood Bowl Ardboys at some point! Would love to see what you come up with.

Chris

Edited by Chris Tomlin

8 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

The guy that is such a boss he doesn't waste time holding on to his Grunta, just wields a second choppa - peak Ironjawz!

Yeh he's one of my favs. Bandana covered face down, hunched over and arms spread out dual wielding. Definitely a Megaboss in the making!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Agree with all of this!!

Your list is just mine without the Megabrutes, no? I think that makes mine just more solid. What General/Trait/Artefact did you have planned?

Ye, my local house rules ban non hero generals and also no duplicate artifacts, so i would probably take ravager as the trait with talisman on the maw krusha. With no other good battle brew option, would likely take a meteoric hammer blade on a chanter. Often overlooked item, but can be good. Megabrutes with tyrant definitely better though. 

Edited by N_Watson
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yeh he's one of my favs. Bandana covered face down, hunched over and arms spread out dual wielding. Definitely a Megaboss in the making!

Nicely done mate. Great work as always!

Where's the chain-whip from? Reminds me of Road Rash on the Megadrive

• Like 1

Lol you chumps know nuffin!! Clearly a gorefist looks like this!!

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
12 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (720)
- General
-  Ironjawz Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (360)
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Gorefist (120)

2k on the nose points efficient or what!?

ok I see some weaknesses. But if you want fun put this up someone's bum. Poss drop warchanter for a one drop filth machine! 

That is all

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

Lol you chumps know nuffin!! Clearly a gorefist looks like this!!

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
12 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (720)
- General
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Gorefist (120)

2k on the nose points efficient or what!?

ok I see some weaknesses. But if you want fun put this up someone's bum. Poss drop warchanter for a one drop filth machine! 

That is all

If only I had that many goregruntas....

however Chris does have 12 made now (and 6 more to make) so....

Gordrakk 700

chanter 80

6 pigs

3 pigs

3 pigs

3 pigs

3 pigs 

gorefist 120

= 1980

turn one charges on 3d6 plus 2 attacks extra each or Gordrakk buffs himself for a turn one charge as well

Edited by Sangfroid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, N_Watson said:

Ye, my local house rules ban non hero generals and also no duplicate artifacts, so i would probably take ravager as the trait with talisman on the maw krusha. With no other good battle brew option, would likely take a meteoric hammer blade on a chanter. Often overlooked item, but can be good. Megabrutes with tyrant definitely better though. 

Urgh, why do they do that?! Haha rough.

Yeh I was championing the idea of the Meteoric Hammerblade on a Warchanter for a bit last year. Used it at Clash of Swords. Didn't do an awful lot tbh, but I found myself constantly reminded my opponents just to try and scare them haha! #mindgames

1 hour ago, Fungrim said:

Nicely done mate. Great work as always!

Where's the chain-whip from? Reminds me of Road Rash on the Megadrive

Yes, that was the inspiration!! @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary) said exactly the same as well. Pretty sure it comes from the Ork Biker kit in 40K. The hand is a little small, especially next to the Crossbow one (who has an Ogor's hand), but I don't think it matters. You know what they say about Orruks with big hands...

@Tom - That list is a thing of pure beauty. Imagine owning that many Gruntas!!

I will definitely run all 18 in a list at some point @Sangfroid, however Gordrakk is not my guy.

13 minutes ago, Thalenchar said:

Man, all this talk plus super cool conversions. Now I want to try more Gore Gruntas! O.o

Ha! I should be on commission. All the Grunta talk is definitely a lot of fun after them being much maligned for so long.

Check back tomorrow when I hate them again after getting smashed up.... @Bueno's list looks tough for me to deal with. He has 2x 5 Wrathmongers...the good thing about Gruntas in this situation is that their damage output is so weak they can't really hurt themselves in return haha!! :D 

What with the activity in this thread, I've got quite the busy afternoon ahead of me having neglected it in favour on this earlier!!! :ph34r:

Edited by Chris Tomlin

20 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yes, that was the inspiration!! @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary) said exactly the same as well. Pretty sure it comes from the Ork Biker kit in 40K. The hand is a little small, especially next to the Crossbow one (who has an Ogor's hand), but I don't think it matters. You know what they say about Orruks with big hands...

Hahaha that made me 'lol' in my office.... especially as my brother's nickname is Big Hands (for obvious reasons)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

Hahaha that made me 'lol' in my office.... especially as my brother's nickname is Big Hands (for obvious reasons)

Ha! Well that was a literal 'lol' back from me in my office as well. Tbh that's not a bad nickname to have haha!!!

Well it's finally Friday, been a long week post SCGT but at least its a 3 day Bank Holiday weekend now!

So I still have 4 more SCGT practice games and the 6 SCGT games themselves to report on, but I'm actually going to go out of sync and instead discuss my game last night with @Bueno whilst it's nice and (painfully) fresh in my memory.

My list was the monstrosity I mentioned above, for clarity;

• Pig Benis on Cabbage - Talisman
  • Shaman - Talisman
  • Warchanter
  • Warchanter
  • 15 Megabrutes - General, Bellowing Tyrant
  • 3x 3 Gore-gruntas
  • Gorefist

2,000 points of pure power I'm sure you'll all agree!! ;) 
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I do consider us in a state on flux right now. We clearly struggle in the current meta (though are not without hope...usually just praying for that double turn!) and are crossing everything in hope that the GH2 will bring us some manner of respite.
There's no point speculating on all that, we'll know when we know. I'm still very much in love with my Ironjawz and thoroughly enjoy playing with them (amidst bouts of frustration) and more than that, I'm still modelling and painting new stuff for my army. The painting awards seem to have dried up, but I still think the army is great and I'm proud to put it on the table.

So.....I think for the next couple of months I'll just play around with some different builds and have some fun with some of the less used Battalions. First on my list is the mighty Gorefist...pure power, the best 120 points you'll spend. Or something :S 

So @Bueno Ben rocked up to Dogger HQ for the first time with his lovely wolf themed Blades of Khorne. The Bloodbound was always a tough match up, so I suspected with all their new buffs and shiny new book (jealous much?) it wouldn't be any easier....

Game 72 vs Ben Chalk (Blades of Khorne)
Ben's army was; Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut, Mighty Lord of Khorne, Bloodsecrator, Aspiring Deathbringer, 2x 10 Blood Reavers, 20 Marauders, 10 Blood Warriors, 6 Skullcrushers, 2x 5 Wrathmongers, 2x 5 Skullreapers and a Khorgoroth - pretty good and it looks amazing on the table. Perhap's Ben will be so kind as to link us to pics of his army. It's gorgeous.
We rolled up Border War (GHOUL PATROL), which I was pretty happy about tbh, as you'll know, it's my fav! Also Ben hasn't played too much recently and I always feel like this is a great battleplan for these sorts of situations.
My deployment was pretty poor as I started setting things up without factoring in the fact the Grunta units all needed to be within 10" of each other to get the bonus move. We also rolled up 4/10 terrain pieces as mystical, and there were some BIG pieces!
It ended up with the pigs kinda squished between other things, I knew I'd need to make some use of Rampaging Destroyers before triggering the Gorefist.
So from left to right I had; Gruntas, Gruntas, Warchanter, Cabbage, Shaman, Megabrutes, Warchanter, Gruntas (I really should take photos).
Opposite me, as I looked at it; Khorgoroth, Skullreapers, Bloodreavers, Skullreapers, all Leaders, Wrathmongers, Bloodreavers, Blood Warriors, Skullcrushers, Marauders, Wrathmongers.
As Ben didn't have a battalion I dropped first and decided to give him the first turn. Interesting choice as I always advocate going first in order to score 5 points, also I had the movement of the Gorefist to try out. But, I was basically scared. I didn't want to charge the piggys headlong in to any part of the army to be honest. Lisitng the units as I just have doesn't really paint a picture as Ben's deployment was reasonable and didn't allow and easy pickings. So yeh, he went first, against my better judgement. Passed about 8 mystical tests (My first pro tip for him was to not roll a 1, which turned out to be good advice!) and moved stuff forward in a reasonably cagey fashion. He planted the banner and gain the middle left objective with Bloodreavers (who lost a couple of their number running through deadly) and the right one with Marauders. 0-5 Ben.
In my turn I used Rampaging Destroyers to juggle stuff around a little and get the Gruntas lined up. Reading the Gorefist rules, you have to make up a name for your battalion; in this game mine were the Paul Buckle Appreciation Society!! (WHTV spelt @Paul Buckler's name wrong, so it's a bit of an injoke - not the funniest I'll admit!). I buffed up where possible and just moved stuff forward. Ben saved the Cabbage scream on the Blood Warriors. I stupidly rolled the D6 to see what it would've been, obviously 6 (why oh why would you do that to yourself haha!!).
The Megabrutes failed their charge, but I got the left hand pigs into the Khorgoroth, the middle ones into the Bloodreavers holding the objective and the right one into some Wrathmongers. The Cabbage also went into the Mighty Skullcrushers.
The Cabbage did pretty poor, but killed a couple of Crushers. The fight with the Khorgoroth didn't go too well. Inevitably I killed the Bloodreavers, claiming that objective. The Wrathmongers did 8 wounds to the Gruntas they were paired up with...I failed all 8 saves, equalling 16 damage and a dead unit. Great! Maybe should've chosen that combat first tbh, poor play on my part. T1 ended 3-5 to Ben.
I didn't feel like I was in a terrible position, but needed the priority (when don't we?!). Unfortunately Ben won! He passed all his mysticals with the exception of the Skullcrushers, obviously rocked by the charge of the Cabbage!
He burnt his Blood Tithe to trigger the Aspiring Deathbringers command ability and planted his banner, creating a death zone on his own objective where the Cabbage was fighting. He charged some Skullreapers and the Lord on Juggernaut into the central Gruntas, Wrathmongers on the right into a Warchanter who was inexplicably in an awful position and finally, the Mighty Lord of Khorne and his Blood Warriors went into the Cabbage. He went first with the Mighty Lord, who had this weird ability which doubles your attacks, but if you fail to kill a model you just die (well, you turn into a Spawn, but Ben didn't have a model or any reserve points). Ben thought he had the new filth here until he was advised that even if he did 8 wounds with the axe, he'd still only roll once for the reality splitting autokill. Ooops! As it was the Cabbage (with mystic shield) was an utter boss and tanked all 6 armour saves he had to make, so that was the end of the battle for the Mighty Lord as Khorne struck him down for his failure and he turned into a pile of bloody flesh! (He did roll the dice to see what would've happened...it was a 4! Made him feel a little better about my armour saves!).
The Cabbage chomped on Blood Warriors, taking very little damage in return. The Wrathmongers left the Warchanter alive after some poor rolls and the Skullreapers killed the Gruntas, taking back the objective. Oh, the other Skullreapers had joined the fight vs the Gruntas fighting the Khorgoroth, helping swing things there. 3-10.
It now really wasn't looking great for me. I had 2/9 Gruntas remaining at the start of my turn two! The Shaman failed to cast, I passed all mystical and charge the Megbrutes into the Wrathmongers and Marauders. This went absurdly well for me! I obviously deleted the Wrathmongers and also killed 16 Marauders (Ben seemed impressed by the Megabrutes damage output), but in my attacks back Ben forced the Boss and 3 Gore-choppas on the unit, however thanks to my terrible rolling I inflicted just 3 wounds!! He also made a regular Brute hit the nearby Warchanter but I passed all the saves. Ridiculous. The Cabbage ground off the Blood Warriors but by now had taken 9 wounds :(. Still, I'd regained the right objective so 6-10.
At the start of T3 it really wasn't looking good, but again a priority would've kept me in it...Ben won again.
To cut a long story short, it all fell apart from there as he killed the Cabbage and the final Gore-gruntas. We played out the final turns to give Ben some experience with the units and have some more fun, but by the end of T3 it was impossible for me to win the battleplan unfortunately.

Result - Major Loss

A few additional points to note;
- The Skullcrushers failed 3 mysticals in a row. That Cabbage charge really must've shaken them!!
- The 9 Gore-gruntas literally didn't kill a single model, despite Warchanter buffs.
- When the second unit of Wrathmongers went into the Megabrutes I once again deleted them, but this time around did 18 unsaved wounds to my own unit compared to the 3 first time!
- The Shaman didn't cast a single spell past turn 1.
- I didn't win a priority roll all game. I'm actually on a bit of a roll with that at the moment after literally (no exaggeration) winning just 4 across the 6 games at SCGT!!! WTF?!!

But yeh, unfortunately that's all there is to tell there! Still, it was a lot of fun as Ben was a great opponent and it was really nice to spend some time with him and talk a little hobby as well. Hopefully he'll be back down the club again soon. I will definitely try the list again as I think that was a rough match up. The army feels like it is missing about two units and perhaps @N_Watson's version with 3x 3 Brutes instead of the Megabrutes does actually works better...or maybe like @Sangfroid said, drop the Cabbage for more Brutes. Hmmm.
Anyway, it'll be the Brutefist next as phase 2 of the club campaign kicks off next week...I'm against Beastmen, so hope to be able to report better then! ;)

Oh, aswell as giving me a great game, Ben also had a variety of Orruk bits for me that I'll be using on my final 6 Gore-gruntas and my Ardboy Yoofs (Savage Orruks) when I finally get around to him. More bitz is always good.

Thanks for reading!
Chris

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

But, I was basically scared. I didn't want to charge the piggys

Reckon this is where it broke down mate, I absolutely know this feeling and when it's Gorefist time, I get the impression there is absolutely no room for fear....

Another great battle report though mate, think you're inspiring us all to get our pig on (sounded better in my head than it looks on-screen...)

• Like 7

Great report Chris, I honestly felt the green waaagh energy building in my stomach reading it, I literally now cannot wait until I can get a game with the IJ again!!

Gorefist some thoughts based on what you posted (for all our benefit tactical discussions) 

1) stay away from khorgoraths with goregruntas, they have rend -1, now do 2 damage and worse have a -1 to bravery buff (and a shooting attack) you are unlikely to clear off all 8 wounds in a single charge with 3 pigs so the more likely outcome is a second round of combat, if things don't go your way and you lose a model or worse 2 then you on a 5+/4+ bravery test to lose the unit. Ideally the crusha goes for this, shoots it first and does some damage then destroys it with bulk on the charge and then goes to charge again! Or if it's close to other units does the above but splits attacks to clear it off and assault a second target. 

2) skullcrushers, these guys in a 6 were a prime target for the gorefist, even if they had glaives I reckon it could have taken maybe 3 or 4 rounds of combat (unaided) for them to kill the 3 pigs, if you had shielded on the way in as well. This would have pinned the massive unit in place for your cabbage or Megabrutes to advance and smash to pieces on your terms.  Worst case is you hold him up and commits other units to clear them out of the way basically meaning even if he double turns you he hasn't actually moved forwards with enough to really threaten you because you have pinned him back on his deployment line for his turn one. Then You have the double turn chance back going into T3. 

3) wrathmongers, another prime target (as you said) 3 pigs with a chanter buff should kill 3 of these on the charge (losing 1 to attacking yourself and maybe a second to the 2 guys attacks back) depending on how things play out and the threat they pose to cabbage and Megabrutes you could have sacrificed the pigs to neutralise or even destroy the wrathmongers as a trade off. As the battle enfolds his army has to engage both the cabbage and Megabrutes so without wrathmongers to make you hurt yourself gives you more chance to win out in the grind. 

Btw not any criticism here just some observations before a Weirdnob makes my head explode :-) Khorne was alway tough now with a new book even tougher! I am quite pleased the gorefist (could have) worked and has some legs for further testing! 

• Like 2