Grand Host of Nagash - Making it work

Major

How has everyone gone getting Nagash into a competitive list and/or using the Grand Host of Nagash Allegiance?

I absolutely love Nagash and have never felt he was viable... until the new book came out. The whole First Cohort thing just screams out to me that it MUUUUST be played. So I made this list that I am thinking of taking to a GT here in Australia next month (Also helps that it's made entirely of stuff I've already painted). My only wish is the The First Cohort was cheaper so I could drop a Necromancer and 5 Graveguard to throw Arkhan in there. Any thoughts or C/C throw em at me.

====================================================
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1 : Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2 : Fading Vigour (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3 : Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact : Grave-sand Timeglass
- Lore of the Deathmages : Decrepify
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact : Ossific Diadem
- Lore of the Deathmages : Spectral Grasp

2 x Morghast Archai (220)
-Spirit Halberds
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
-Ancient Spears
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
-Ancient Blades
10 x Grave Guard (160)
-Wight Blades & Crypt Shields

Total: 2000 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 108
============================================

Because Nagash is in this army, one of my Necromancers can take an Artifact of Nagash. The second Necromancer gets one too thanks to the battalion and fact it is in the Grand Host of Nagash alliance.

I've given Nagash the best of the Lore spells as his +3 to casting (without wounds) gives him the best chance of popping them off.

The 2 Necros are there so they can stick close to battleline and add extra heal/res as well as irrirtate the opponent with movement debufs when near terrain or debuffs to thier heros that might be used to fight.

All Units already have the 6+ Deathless Minions save on top of their standard save.
Nagash can shift wounds onto the Morghast Arkai (who are also at +1 to hit thanks to Grand Host Alliance)
Everything on the table is re-rolling hit and save rolls of 1 thanks to the Supreme Lord of Death Command Ability
Most of the time the unit of 40 skeleton warriors will be piling in and attacking twice in the combat phase (I would always choose this unit as they have the best range in melee and you add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of melee weapons if it has 20 or more models. Add 2 instead if it has 30 or more models. So a unit of 40 can potentially put out !!!246!!! attacks, hitting/wounding on 4+ re-rolling hit rolls of 1).

The Skeletons and Graveguard are getting heals from
Gravesite Invigorating Aura
Deathly Invocation - Nagash (Automatic 3 so no need to roll a D3 on up to 5 summonable units).
Deathly Invocation - Necromancer (D3 on 2 summonable units)
Deathly Invocation - Necromancer (D3 on 2 summonable units)
Legions Innumerable (D3 wounds/models back on a 5+ for each summonable unit on the battlefield)

You might benefit from some more magical punch. Don't forget, Nagash knows the spells of all friendly death wizards on the table, so if you want him to know overwhelming dread and fading vigor, the necromancers could know those, while you can give Nagash the best spells from the vampire lore (Orb, Transference, etc.).

27 minutes ago, HiveFleetCerberus said:

You might benefit from some more magical punch. Don't forget, Nagash knows the spells of all friendly death wizards on the table, so if you want him to know overwhelming dread and fading vigor, the necromancers could know those, while you can give Nagash the best spells from the vampire lore (Orb, Transference, etc.).

I never thought about giving him the Vamp ones!!! Problem is Necromancers are easy to snipe and the I lose those spells so figured give em to Nagash? Now I need to learn the vamp ones! lol

46 minutes ago, Major said:

How has everyone gone getting Nagash into a competitive list and/or using the Grand Host of Nagash Allegiance?

I absolutely love Nagash and have never felt he was viable... until the new book came out. The whole First Cohort thing just screams out to me that it MUUUUST be played. So I made this list that I am thinking of taking to a GT here in Australia next month (Also helps that it's made entirely of stuff I've already painted). My only wish is the The First Cohort was cheaper so I could drop a Necromancer and 5 Graveguard to throw Arkhan in there. Any thoughts or C/C throw em at me.

====================================================
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1 : Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2 : Fading Vigour (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3 : Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact : Grave-sand Timeglass
- Lore of the Deathmages : Decrepify
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact : Ossific Diadem
- Lore of the Deathmages : Spectral Grasp

2 x Morghast Archai (220)
-Spirit Halberds
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
-Ancient Spears
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
-Ancient Blades
10 x Grave Guard (160)
-Wight Blades & Crypt Shields

Total: 2000 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 108
============================================

Because Nagash is in this army, one of my Necromancers can take an Artifact of Nagash. The second Necromancer gets one too thanks to the battalion and fact it is in the Grand Host of Nagash alliance.

I've given Nagash the best of the Lore spells as his +3 to casting (without wounds) gives him the best chance of popping them off.

The 2 Necros are there so they can stick close to battleline and add extra heal/res as well as irrirtate the opponent with movement debufs when near terrain or debuffs to thier heros that might be used to fight.

All Units already have the 6+ Deathless Minions save on top of their standard save.
Nagash can shift wounds onto the Morghast Arkai (who are also at +1 to hit thanks to Grand Host Alliance)
Everything on the table is re-rolling hit and save rolls of 1 thanks to the Supreme Lord of Death Command Ability
Most of the time the unit of 40 skeleton warriors will be piling in and attacking twice in the combat phase (I would always choose this unit as they have the best range in melee and you add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of melee weapons if it has 20 or more models. Add 2 instead if it has 30 or more models. So a unit of 40 can potentially put out !!!246!!! attacks, hitting/wounding on 4+ re-rolling hit rolls of 1).

The Skeletons and Graveguard are getting heals from
Gravesite Invigorating Aura
Deathly Invocation - Nagash (Automatic 3 so no need to roll a D3 on up to 5 summonable units).
Deathly Invocation - Necromancer (D3 on 2 summonable units)
Deathly Invocation - Necromancer (D3 on 2 summonable units)
Legions Innumerable (D3 wounds/models back on a 5+ for each summonable unit on the battlefield)

Replace the 20 Skeletons with 2 packs of 5 Dire Wolves, or 5 dire wolves and a Corpse Cart.

28 minutes ago, Arentius said:

Soul harvest isn't ideal due to the short range.

I recommend swapping it to orb or transference especially as transference can be used to heal those Morghast bodyguards of his

Thanks for that, I might look at the Ord just due to the possibility of 6 mortal wounds!

37 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

Replace the 20 Skeletons with 2 packs of 5 Dire Wolves, or 5 dire wolves and a Corpse Cart.

I would but I have neither of those models and couldn't get them and paint them by next month! lol

40 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

Downside to this also is that it adds to my number of drops. I also need 3 deathrattle units and the moghasts to meet the battalion requirements for The First Cohort so not possible unfortunately without severely limiting the effectiveness of the skellies.

5 minutes ago, Major said:

I've made a rookie error here.... Double cast? How does that work again? I cant find the rule.

Locus of Shyish, the spells from either lore of the deathmages or vampires, on a natural 9+ to cast (so without modifiers) if successful resolve the spell effect twice. So for orb you could throw 2 orbs out, for overwhelming dread you can put them at -2 bravery and attacks (or pick 2 units to -1 to each) etc

3 minutes ago, Arentius said:

Locus of Shyish, the spells from either lore of the deathmages or vampires, on a natural 9+ to cast (so without modifiers) if successful resolve the spell effect twice. So for orb you could throw 2 orbs out, for overwhelming dread you can put them at -2 bravery and attacks (or pick 2 units to -1 to each) etc

I am literally absolutely dumbfounded as to how I forgot about that. *Makes another coffee*

I'm 5-1 with First Cohort so far. My games have been not even close. Nagash has never finished with over 3 wounds on him.

My one loss was a stupid game where i got caught up in a 0+ Stardrake that survived hand of dust twice. I killed 1780 points but lost on objectives (scorched earth). He killed 790. The guy that I lost to won the tournament. This was just a crazy game.

My other 5 games were complete bloodbaths where my opponent killed 0 points while I have them tabled by round 3.

I'm reaching out to some of the more competitive players to really try and test this list.

Edit: playing the guy that won the last local tournament i was at (Fyreslayers) on Sunday. Interested to see how Nagash holds up

Hey @WoollyMammoth I tried your list yesterday, I won and by a large margin as well, but Grave Guard just died in like a turn. How do you keep them alive? In general how do you deploy and advance with your guys? I was playing vs Skyfires and felt I lacked protection for all my guys, and I think I may have played too passively with the morghast because they engaged a bit late imo

Keep in mind that orb's damage is less than it first appears due to its 50% chance of missing a target unit outright even when successfully cast.  You have to get two enemy units under the lune for average damage to surpass a simple arcane bolt.

That's not to say the spell isn't good, it is, but you usually have to be even closer than the listed 12" range before you can make it worthwhile by nailing multiple enemy units.  For that reason, while I do like the orb, I usually aim to grab vile transference first.  Longer effective range, and the ability to heal nagash or his morghasts, just make it more consistent ime.

11 hours ago, smucreo said:

Hey @WoollyMammoth I tried your list yesterday, I won and by a large margin as well, but Grave Guard just died in like a turn. How do you keep them alive? In general how do you deploy and advance with your guys? I was playing vs Skyfires and felt I lacked protection for all my guys, and I think I may have played too passively with the morghast because they engaged a bit late imo

That's just how it is, GG are going to die when targeted. Generally I just use them as objective holders, and/or to protect the necro. Most people ignore GG until they want to get them off an objective. If they shoot at them and don't kill them - they all come back. If they charge with multiple units, they tend to underestimate them and attack something else first, and then the GG hit hard. But, if they are  fully shot off or if they are attacked first, they are generally dead, which is all you can hope from an 80pt unit.

Typically I deploy skeletons and SH in the grave, and summon them aggressively. I haven't played against a list I'm afraid will hit me hard first turn, but in that case I would bubble wrap Nagash in skeletons rather than summon. 

If you are playing against skyfires, then things are just going to die. If you win against skyfires by a large margin, that is cause for celebration.

Oh okay, so you use the GG and not the skellies to protect the necro, I see. Thanks! I didn't hope for much else from the GG but I just wanted to make sure I used them accordingly :). By the way, I was on the fence about Spirit Hosts, but they were the highlight of the game. I managed to Van Hels them and they ended up inflicting a ridiculous amount of MW in a turn, and they just wouldn't die which meant I kept regenerating them haha

9 hours ago, smucreo said:

Oh okay, so you use the GG and not the skellies to protect the necro, I see. Thanks! I didn't hope for much else from the GG but I just wanted to make sure I used them accordingly :). By the way, I was on the fence about Spirit Hosts, but they were the highlight of the game. I managed to Van Hels them and they ended up inflicting a ridiculous amount of MW in a turn, and they just wouldn't die which meant I kept regenerating them haha

Yeah spirit hosts are amazing in this list. Also Archai, they absolutley destroy. 

A key point of my list is taking a lot of debuff spells. I almost never get much out of orb even, thinking of dropping it.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:58 AM, smucreo said:

Nagash, Necro for Leaders, 40 skellies, 2x5 grave guard and 6 Spirit Hosts for Summonable units, 2 Morghast Archai and the First Cohort battalion.

Looking at the points value for this, doesn't that add up to more that 2k points (2080)?  Or am I missing something?

Archived