The Painting Contract - March 2018

TheOtherJosh

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started on the artillery section tonight. Just felt my battle wizard and general on a gryphon don’t match the theme too well so they've been replaced with a mounted Warpriest (old Valten) for general and another excelsior Warpriest. That makes 7 Warpriest s including the altar and a witch hunter. Also added a great canon to the lineup to make the ironwald group 2 hellblaster , 1 great canon and the steam tank which will acquire devoted materials to spice them up. 

Ive run out of round bases so just waiting for the next batch to arrive  

img_1654.jpg

2 hours ago, Praecautus said:

Bit of a WIP of my first 2 blight kings - Zzup and Lil Wayne R. Not painted nurgle units before. Tomorrow it will be the metal and some other bits.

IMG_0747.JPG

Did not realize they had heads like that... Spooky

5 hours ago, Artobans Ghost said:

Those faces are incredible! ??

The one on the right kind of reminds me of myself very hungry just before dinner. 

Thanks. The skin is from Duncan's end times blight king tutorial and is very easy to do.

I do like the fly head, I think it may be meant to be a helmet but o prefer it skin tone so it looks like he had b even truly blessed by papa nurgle.

Its another great kit, loads of options to build them differently.

5 hours ago, Praecautus said:

.... I do like the fly head, I think it may be meant to be a helmet ...

Based off the lore from the novels ... it’s probably an actual fly head.... that blight king is just super blessed by papa Nurgle ... 

I’ll have to pull up Duncan’s tutorial when I work my way through the Shadows Over Hammerhal box ... but they do look good!

My life may be settled enough this month to participate again!

Right now, I'm working on assembling models.  Currently, I'm expanding my collection to include Stormcast, so I am working on assembling some of them right now.

Following that, I may get around to finishing up painting some of my Ironjawz, and then start assembling my step-daughter's Skeleton army.  And after that, money pending, some scenery for home-based gaming.

Here is the steamtank of the Disciples of Sigmar. On a suggestion from Okonomiyakimarine in the WIP Wednesday thread , I toned down the wood deck. He was right. I am absolutely no good at the fine detail work for the books and parchment so feel free to cringe along with me ?

img_1682.jpgimg_1683.jpgJimg_1687.jpg

@Artobans GhostYou are making some quick progress. Love the steam tank. The scrolls don’t look bad at all, especially from a view on the tabletop. Maybe just practice with really thinned down rhinox  hide to allow it to flow a bit more  and smallest brush you have got, just drawing small lines on  piece of paper. I think it is a matter of practice and if you have a lot more scrollwork to do and are not happy with the result may be worth it.

Ok bit late posting my commitment but this month I need to finish my first months models for a little collect/paint/play slow grow campaign my club is having (details in my blog, link in sig.).

So March is..

20 Freeguild Guard (bretonnian Men at Arms)

1 Eldritch Loremaster (or Archmage, undecided at this point)

1 Empire General (who i seem to have lost, so this may be replaced with something else).

Current progress is all Freeguild Guard based with main colour (blue for Tempest Eye) and light zenithal highlight, 7 Freeguild with all colours blocked and washed and most highlighted. This picture was mid that stage.

freeguild.jpg

I also have my Shadespire Orruks to finish and my Steelhearts Campions, however as this is now the 9th of March ive actually finished my Steelhearts! (could still add a bit more too them but maybe in the future)

steelheart.jpg.6600e443e4d7fe25675557bf4d72bd55.jpg

18 minutes ago, stato said:

I also have my Shadespire Orruks to finish and my Steelhearts Campions, however as this is now the 9th of March ive actually finished my Steelhearts! (could still add a bit more too them but maybe in the future)

steelheart.jpg.6600e443e4d7fe25675557bf4d72bd55.jpg

Nice work on the subtle conversion of the shield for Brightshield and the icon for steelheart. 

Really clean, and the nice line on the inside of the cloak/cape. 

Solid work!

30 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Nice work on the subtle conversion of the shield for Brightshield and the icon for steelheart. 

Really clean, and the nice line on the inside of the cloak/cape. 

Solid work!

Thanks very much!  I did the shoulder pads too (not brightshield as her shoulder pad is smaller). The line is something I'm happy it tried but has a few wobbles my eye keeps seeing. But it was a first attempt at freehand so will keep trying and hopefully get to a point in happier with.

Archived