Forum Posts vs Blog Posts: Discuss

Stevewren

"People comment more if a painting and modelling project is put in the Forum section than the Blog Section"

discuss....

it seems like having a forum post for tracking your painting and modelling is better than having a Blog in the blog section. Just scanning down the page there are a lot more comments on Posts. 

Forum/Blog users don't seem to comment much on the blog section. You get quite a few likes or reactions, but very little critique or feedback from what I've experienced. 

My answer to my own question would be that if you are working on a project don't put it in the blog section, put it here. Use the Blogs more like a diary to track your own projects,  but don't expect as much interaction. 

56 minutes ago, Stevewren said:

"People comment more if a painting and modelling project is put in the Forum section than the Blog Section"

discuss....

it seems like having a forum post for tracking your painting and modelling is better than having a Blog in the blog section. Just scanning down the page there are a lot more comments on Posts. 

Forum/Blog users don't seem to comment much on the blog section. You get quite a few likes or reactions, but very little critique or feedback from what I've experienced. 

My answer to my own question would be that if you are working on a project don't put it in the blog section, put it here. Use the Blogs more like a diary to track your own projects,  but don't expect as much interaction. 

I think that's clearly true. However, I'm a new user and love the site because of the blogs, gallery and features that you don't get on any other blog sites (or at least not so well organised), so I've subscribed to the blog section and frequently comment and react to posts there. I think perhaps it needs to be advertised more?

I actually started one of my projects as a Thread, and made a Blog with the same name later. The mainpoint was, that I wanted a place to show miniatures, some stories I wrote and perhaps some games I made (even I don't play much because I don't have a group). I simply had the feeling that "Painting and Modeling" wasn't the right place for all of that.

I actually like the blog function, because it's easier to follow because if you know who made the blog you can open it by looking in his profile , while you need the search function to find a Thread

And each Entry is seperate so it's possible to comment on an entry that was posted months ago. Try this on a Thread that has new entries already.

I think @EMMachine makes some good additions to your summary. So for me it's down to your personal preference. I prefer a thread. Not because I want my work to be seen by as many people as possible (although their is of course a bit of that pride), it's mostly because I value the interactions. tips and comments more than the organisational advantages of the blog option.  

3 hours ago, Stevewren said:

discuss....

I think thats a pretty clear summary.  A forum is for discussion, a blog is you sharing a log of things.

Which to use depends on what you want, do you want painting feedback? do you just want lots of comments or 'likes' for some reason? (never really understood the point of that one myself), then forum is the place.  Just want to record, share and log your progress, then blog.

EDIT: and shouldnt this be in forum chat, not the painting section :D

1 minute ago, flemingmma said:

If I want interaction, I'll do a thread, If i want to showcase, I'll make a blog. Perhaps I'm an idiot, who knows.

So, a project would normally be a Blog, because it's a showcase.

3 minutes ago, Bananaman said:

There’s a blog section? 

Yeah, there is a blog section, but this could be a problem too. Perhaps, many people are only in the "forum" section instead of the "home" section where you can see, forum, blog and galery.

20 hours ago, stato said:

Which to use depends on what you want, do you want painting feedback? do you just want lots of comments or 'likes' for some reason? (never really understood the point of that one myself), then forum is the place.  Just want to record, share and log your progress, then blog.

I think the problem comes if you want to keep a range of things in the Blog and you have work in progress as well and you are interested in feedback. You get 2.5x more views if you are in the forum than in the Blog section, which means you have 2.5x more chances of getting the feedback you are after. 

5a83eca2d2ae7_ScreenShot2018-02-14at07_57_16.png.a7ee3dd81ad795072ebd1cb217dfdd89.png

5a83eca59a654_ScreenShot2018-02-14at07_56_28.png.11b103ec77ba02ffcb1c26bbdc7d24a3.png

I can completely understand why you've found that forum posts get a lot more response than an identical blog post here.  I think people have a different thought process when they come here and tend to head to the areas on the forum that interest them and don't really skirt to other locations.  I've also found that there are times that a WIP post within the relevant Grand Alliance section gets more feedback than putting one in the painting area, I guess some people aren't bothered about painting in general but rather something specific to their grand alliance.  I'd also say that it's not until you've got a few replies (even if they're your own) that people start giving actual feedback.

On the blog front, I'd also say that I think forum style blogs don't offer enough tools to be useful as an actual blog.  I've had a self-hosted Wordpress blog for quite a few years now, but it's only since I've connected it up to Twitter and started focusing on SEO that I've seen the number of people viewing the blog rise.  It's really flip-floppy too, you need a post that people really want to engage with for people to comment or share - just a progress on what you've painted tends to not get many responses!

1 hour ago, Stevewren said:

I think the problem comes if you want to keep a range of things in the Blog and you have work in progress as well and you are interested in feedback. You get 2.5x more views if you are in the forum than in the Blog section, which means you have 2.5x more chances of getting the feedback you are after. 

Well yeah, so do both. If you want feedback start a post in the forum.  Just because you have a blog doesnt mean you have to use it for everything, infact you could even use it to track forum topics just like you have done there. 

• Blog -14th Feb, im painting another x to go with the previous, not sure how i want to paint this part of it, any suggestions please comment below or on the forum post i started, link to topic
  • Forum topic in the painting section - im painting another x to go with the previous (link to previous blog showcase of model), not sure how i want to paint this part of it, any suggestions?

I dont think you need to be fixed to just one or the other. Use whatever suits.

Archived