Summoning Dryads with Branchwraith in matched play

Zen

Question

So, in the new Sylvaneth tome the Branchwraith still summons "only" 2d6 dryads.

At first I thought that these were "free" summons, i.e. You don't need to pay points for them re: summoning rules. This made sense in my head as summoning 2d6 dryads isn't overly strong, and other armies (flesheaters) don't pay points when they re-summon into dead units (which is where the distinction lies)

So the question is: do you pay the whole points cost for the unit of dryads, even if you're summoning, for instance, only 2? 

They're usually 120 pts for 10, so the possibility of having to pay 120 for 2 does not really outweigh the advantage of paying 120 for 12?

11 answers to this question

Page 108 seems pretty clear to me. If you summon 2-10 you would need 120 points remaining in your reinforcement pool. If you summon 11 or 12 you would need 240 points. You could choose to reduce that 11-12 down to 10 if you don't have 240 points remaining.

You can pay 240 for 20 dryads on the side. If you roll a 12 you can take those and put them on the board, then you still have 8 left to summon. If you roll 10 the next time, then you only have 8 to deploy. 

If the rules seriously expect you to pay 360 points for 20 dryads because their rule was written poorly - well pretty much everyone is going to be willing to ignore this nonsense and just let you have them for 240.

The new summoning rules have the key limitations but lack clarity and are left wide open for loopholes and problems. I'm hoping the FAQ that comes out with the handbook fixes this.  

In the response to me they say she cant go over 10 models, which would make her even worse as a 10, 11,12 nets you 10 models. They dont say you can over spend as you do when building the army. It is wierd as, as mentioned most abilities place a unit ( minimum size).  This ability allows you to place a unit below minimum size at full cost.

Archived