Pestilens Thread, tactics, builds, advice

James McPherson

Hello to all, i just started playing warhammer and decided to to put all my faith in the clan pestilens haha. I was wondering if anyone could tell me wich is best between using 2 dagger or a dagger and a staff on my plaguemonk. Yes i play the verminlord corrupter. And i would like to know if i should play a mixt of weapons and if so how many of each knowing that i will play this list:

-1x Verminlord Corrupter (general)

1X furnace

1X furnace

1X Plague priest

1X Plagueclaw

40x Plaguemonk

40x Plaguemonk

20x Plaguemonk

20x Plaguemonk

1X congregation of filth

1x congregation of filth

Thanks in advance and sorry for the grammar mistakes i am french.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you are playing corruptor I would consider equipping at least some of the units with sword+staff combination as both benefit from the extra attacks command ability.

Then try and get all the juicy extras going on those units, like MW on a 6+/6+ wound rolls, pile in after death etc

Probably worth having 1-2 units of 10 if possible as shields/suicide units, I find it a useful tactic.

On January 27, 2018 at 11:58 PM, Nikobot said:

Oh ok, I think I missed what you were saying earlier.

So your suggesting that some people treat the Plague Furnace as a plague priest and then interpret that the Liber grants it the ability to use 2 Pestilent Prayers per turn?
So end result is it the furnace can use 1x noxious prayers and 2x pestilent prayers per turn?

If so, I wasn't looking at it that way and haven't been playing it that way. I just played it as I said earlier, and didn't really see the Liber being satisfied that the " Plague Furnace" is a "Plague Priest" to achieve this additional bonus.

Not that it means anything with all the ambiguous situations we have in the rules of AOS, but I don't think that was the intention of the Liber.

Any evidence of this being played as such in the wild? at tourneys etc?

Yeah, I've been playing it as such. In tourneys even. Spitting out 3 prayers a turn is nice, but hardly game breaking. I think Maggotkin is what's going to make Pestilens ( and by that I mean plague monks) shine. Plague furnaces might be a thing of the past. You can give an army wide whither at will with the cycle of decay, you can speed them up x2 with gnarlmaws+cycle of decay.

Yeah certainly I dont think its game breaking either, Pestilens prob need any bonus they can get. 

Totally agree Maggotkin/Pestilens are pretty exciting. I can see plague monk heavy mixed lists capable of wicked things!

What are the combos we see possible?
- gnarmaw + cycle of decay for huge speed boost, maybe GUO+bell?
- using the cycle for +1 wound wither effect
- sword+staff kit, General command ability +1 attacks + blade putrifecation for so many attacks potentially doing MW

On 1/30/2018 at 7:55 AM, Mascule said:

Hello to all, i just started playing warhammer and decided to to put all my faith in the clan pestilens haha. I was wondering if anyone could tell me wich is best between using 2 dagger or a dagger and a staff on my plaguemonk. Yes i play the verminlord corrupter. And i would like to know if i should play a mixt of weapons and if so how many of each knowing that i will play this list:

-1x Verminlord Corrupter (general)

1X furnace

1X furnace

1X Plague priest

1X Plagueclaw

40x Plaguemonk

40x Plaguemonk

20x Plaguemonk

20x Plaguemonk

1X congregation of filth

1x congregation of filth

Thanks in advance and sorry for the grammar mistakes i am french.

You have a ton of Plague Monks, this is wise.  Personally, I prefer dual knives.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I'm pretty new to Skaven - I've never played them in WH Fantasy or in AoS - and I'm actually trying to understand how a 2000 pts list can be competitive, considering that in the local club the my friends play for the mostly Flesh-Eater Courts, Kharadron O., Khorne, Seraphon, Stormcast E. and Tzeentch.

Skaven Pestilens need to play hordes for contest objectives and annihilate the enemy under a ton of mortal wounds, but how can they survive if a Terrorgheist decide to scream on them, a Lord of Change make an Infernal Gateway or two or three bands of elves shoot on them (considering that Plague Monks can only have a save on 6+ with the battalion)? I really can't understand how I could play them actually, considering my recent game experiences. :(

Hi again guys, sorry im new to Warhammer, was wondering if someone could help me, here is my question:

I play pestilens and allegiance pestilens to be able to play congregation of filth and Plaguesmog Congregation.

So i can play 3 artefacts, i keep seeing lists playing crown of conquest, but my friend say i cant play crown of conquest because i am not playing allegience chaos... may anyone please explain me clearly this?

55 minutes ago, Mascule said:

Hi again guys, sorry im new to Warhammer, was wondering if someone could help me, here is my question:

I play pestilens and allegiance pestilens to be able to play congregation of filth and Plaguesmog Congregation.

So i can play 3 artefacts, i keep seeing lists playing crown of conquest, but my friend say i cant play crown of conquest because i am not playing allegience chaos... may anyone please explain me clearly this?

Pestilens have their own allegiance traits and artifacts, so as long as you choose to go with a pestilens allegiance army, you can 'only' choose from that list.

Crown of conquest is a chaos allegiance artifact, so you can only take it if a) you're chaos allegiance (instead of pestilens) or b) your allegiance has no artifacts/traits (verminus, for example)

Mind that if you go chaos allegiance, your monks are no longer battleline (but pestilens is better, so really no need)

1 hour ago, Krenys said:

Hi guys!

I'm pretty new to Skaven - I've never played them in WH Fantasy or in AoS - and I'm actually trying to understand how a 2000 pts list can be competitive, considering that in the local club the my friends play for the mostly Flesh-Eater Courts, Kharadron O., Khorne, Seraphon, Stormcast E. and Tzeentch.

Skaven Pestilens need to play hordes for contest objectives and annihilate the enemy under a ton of mortal wounds, but how can they survive if a Terrorgheist decide to scream on them, a Lord of Change make an Infernal Gateway or two or three bands of elves shoot on them (considering that Plague Monks can only have a save on 6+ with the battalion)? I really can't understand how I could play them actually, considering my recent game experiences. :(

Plagueclaws are your bread and butter for 'how do I deal with..' problems. Two should sort you out :) alway prioritise nuking the gaunt summoner as soon as possible, as he has a really good time against hordes. 

Pestilens thrives against opponents that wants to fight in close combat. Khorne and Ironjawz are notable matchups that will have a hard time getting through your hordes without a scratch. Assuming you apply your 'pile in and attack when model die' prayer and inspiring presence properly, plague monks can out-berserker even the most hardened khornate warrior :P

You should have a hard time versus tzeentch and Kharadron. The plagueclaws can do good work against kharadron ships, while you're gonna want to wait just outside of spell range of tzeentch, and the rush everything in. They crumple like paper in close combat. 

41 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Mind that if you go chaos allegiance, your monks are no longer battleline (but pestilens is better, so really no need)

This is not correct.  You can take the GA chaos allegiance abilities and still have plague monks as battleline.

17 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

This is not correct.  You can take the GA chaos allegiance abilities and still have plague monks as battleline.

I'm open to standing corrected, but plague monks are pestilens battleline, no? Therefore battleline if you go with Pestilens allegiance (in the same way that Stormvermin are verminus battleline, and Stormfiends are Skryre battleline) - Am I wrong? I mean, I'd love running stormvermin as chaos battleline :)

Thanks all, then may i have some advice on what artifact to use with this list:

-1x Verminlord Corruptor  (General. Master of rot and ruin trait) Artifact???

-1x Plague Furnace (Artifact???)

-1x Plague Furnace (Artifact???)

-40x Plague Monk

-20x Plague Monk

-20x Plague Monk

-20x Plague Monk

-10x Plague-Censer Bearer

-10x Plague-Censer Bearer

Battalion:

1x Congregation of Filth

1x Plaguesmog Congregation

(All comments on my list are also Welcome)

30 minutes ago, Mayple said:

I'm open to standing corrected, but plague monks are pestilens battleline, no? Therefore battleline if you go with Pestilens allegiance (in the same way that Stormvermin are verminus battleline, and Stormfiends are Skryre battleline) - Am I wrong? I mean, I'd love running stormvermin as chaos battleline :)

Yep it is in the GHB.  You can take either your factions allegiance abilities or the GA abilities.  Allegiance for battleline isn't affected by which abilities you take.  I don't have the book with me but it's clearly worded.

In the same way that last year Ironjawz did not lose their battleline for taking GA: Destruction abilities.

You can run an all verminus army with stormvermin as battleline and take the GA: Chaos abilities.  They are not always just chaos battleline though, only if everyone is verminus (minus the allies of course).

I was just looking through some of the unfamiliar (to me, at least) factions in the app and GHB, just to get a feel for them.

I have to say, Clan Pestilens made my head spin more than any other.

How do you guys even begin to remember all the buffs and debuffs in this faction?

4 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

How do you guys even begin to remember all the buffs and debuffs in this faction?

After a few games it's easy.  

I have modeled to help indicate once per game abilities.  When the contagion banner goes off, I remove that model.  When the bringer of the word uses the once per game I remove that model. 

I keep little books on the bases of the priests for their once per game abilities as well.  Just remove the book when you use the ability.  (There are many extra tiny books from the plague monk sprue)

I too am looking to mix a bit of Nurgle with my Pestilens. For the points, a Sorceror with blades of putrefication seems good as a quick add in, though I guess its a matter of do you run Glottkin or Verminlord (personally I am enjoying the Verminlord as a backline commander)

• 3 weeks later...

What do people think of going Nurgle alligence and taking a great unclean one with a bell and feculent gnarlmaw to run and charge a blob of plague monks buffed with plague of putrification?

Is the benefit of having nurgle spells, the gnarlmaw, and cycle of corruption stronger for clan pestilens than the pestilens alligence?

Bearing in mind plague monks are no longer battle line so would likely need to add 10X plaguebearers 10X plaguebearers 5X blightkings

1 hour ago, Darigandevil said:

What do people think of going Nurgle alligence and taking a great unclean one with a bell and feculent gnarlmaw to run and charge a blob of plague monks buffed with plague of putrification?

Is the benefit of having nurgle spells, the gnarlmaw, and cycle of corruption stronger for clan pestilens than the pestilens alligence?

Bearing in mind plague monks are no longer battle line so would likely need to add 10X plaguebearers 10X plaguebearers 5X blightkings

I mean, you can grab 3x marauders and run the rest as pure nurgly pestilens. Verminlords benefit nicely from the new spells, traits, and artifacts.

18 hours ago, Mayple said:

I mean, you can grab 3x marauders and run the rest as pure nurgly pestilens. Verminlords benefit nicely from the new spells, traits, and artifacts.

Good point.

So with that in mind is the consensus that pestilens is dead now and its stronger to go nurgle alligence?

On 15/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, Darigandevil said:

Not sure about it. If you can play the Chaos Allegiance and keeping the Pestilens Allegiance for the battleline pourpose, I guess you can do the same with the Maggotkin? 

Allegiance for rules and Allegiance for battlelines are two different things. After all, the rules says that an army can have more Allegiances: you just need to choose one for their rules, but you still have all of them for the battlelines. 

That's why a lot of non-allegiance army has the "Battleline if you have the X allegiancr" (Stormvermin with the Skaven Verminus army).

Am I right? 

10 hours ago, Cerve said:

Not sure about it. If you can play the Chaos Allegiance and keeping the Pestilens Allegiance for the battleline pourpose, I guess you can do the same with the Maggotkin? 

Allegiance for rules and Allegiance for battlelines are two different things. After all, the rules says that an army can have more Allegiances: you just need to choose one for their rules, but you still have all of them for the battlelines. 

That's why a lot of non-allegiance army has the "Battleline if you have the X allegiancr" (Stormvermin with the Skaven Verminus army).

Am I right? 

Yes you are right.

Plague monks are battleline if everything in your army has pestilens keyword, even if you take maggotkin abilities.  It's been this way since ironjawz GHB1.

To do the list with the GUO, you would take the GUO as an ally, which means it cannot be the general, but this is fine because you are taking it for the bell anyway.

50 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

Yes you are right.

Plague monks are battleline if everything in your army has pestilens keyword, even if you take maggotkin abilities.  It's been this way since ironjawz GHB1.

To do the list with the GUO, you would take the GUO as an ally, which means it cannot be the general, but this is fine because you are taking it for the bell anyway.

So a full pestilens army could run with nurgle abilities? Nice :D

What about nurgle allies? Would they still have access to nurgle spells and such? Like a nurgle sorcerer, for example.

Archived