What are GW and Forgeworld doing with Exalted Greater Daemons

Dan.Ford

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

we had the old GUO who was smaller than a beast of nurgle, an not much bigger than a chaos warrior for what. 10 years? 

If memory serves me right the previous GUO is even older. I know that the base body came out in 5th edition (1998? 1999?) and that in 6th edition a new head was added in (2002) but basically 90% of the model was the same really. 

image.png.5dcff3f9fea2111f3fcb32d39ff38dfb.png

So with this in mind the models above are more like almost 20-16 years old. If you count the 6th edition version as a new model that is hehe.

7 hours ago, Dave Fraser said:

I'm not really sold on using the FW version as anything other than the regular GUO now that it is actually smaller than the plastic version!  Doesn't feel very exalted!

I started converting my own Unclean One mid-2016 and had him waiting in the closet unpainted until now.

Since he is two heads taller than the Glottkin i am going to use him as an Exalted Greater Unclean one now that i ordered the GW one as well.

6 hours ago, Requizen said:

I actually have one of those old metal GUOs. I was thinking of just making a massive base the size of a new one and still running him sitting on top of  a pile of debris :P

Im sure you can Put 3 on a 130mm base :P

8 hours ago, Requizen said:

I actually have one of those old metal GUOs. I was thinking of just making a massive base the size of a new one and still running him sitting on top of  a pile of debris :P

2 hours ago, Killax said:

Im sure you can Put 3 on a 130mm base :P

Gather a few and stack them like nurglings on a 130mm base.

13 hours ago, Killax said:

If memory serves me right the previous GUO is even older. I know that the base body came out in 5th edition (1998? 1999?) and that in 6th edition a new head was added in (2002) but basically 90% of the model was the same really. 

image.png.5dcff3f9fea2111f3fcb32d39ff38dfb.png

So with this in mind the models above are more like almost 20-16 years old. If you count the 6th edition version as a new model that is hehe.

Aside from the tongue, the 5th ed one's head looks much bettehr than the 6th one in my opinion, which is what really don't like about the 6th ed GUO. Of course now with all the giant models around today he's ridiculous as greater daemon of any kind, but now I kind of want one(5th ed) to run as a daemon prince of nurgle.

On 19-1-2018 at 1:42 AM, bsharitt said:

Aside from the tongue, the 5th ed one's head looks much bettehr than the 6th one in my opinion, which is what really don't like about the 6th ed GUO. Of course now with all the giant models around today he's ridiculous as greater daemon of any kind, but now I kind of want one(5th ed) to run as a daemon prince of nurgle.

I like both. But I do think the 5th edition heads generally look better because they matched the artwork for their time quite well. With 6th edition a whole lot more changed as just artwork. In general I think this might be what killed WFB in some way also, or at least why players moved away from WFB.

To me it's very important that models match visual artwork. I think Adrian Smith has done some AMAZING Chaos Warriors artwork but none of the models really matched it. The true exceptions are actually the Heroes we still use today in AoS, such as the Harbinger of Nurgle, the Khorne Lord on Juggernaut and all that.

With this newer GUO matching all AoS work again I'm very happy and this is also why I'm such a die-hard Khorne AoS fan. All the artwork match the models and vice versa. For sure some of the artwork of Adrian Smith is still more detailed or even straight up better, but if there are no models who match that.... then my interest is lost.

HATE as a kickstarter actually now has models that do match Adrian's artwork to the teeth, it's a shame GW didn't want to/was capable to go that route back in the 2000's era.

6 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I have two. I will probably use them as beasts. But I will use them as GUO's until I buy the new sculpt. 

That's a fantastic plan really would do the same!|

Sometimes I'm contemplating using the old Bloodthirster as a Daemon Prince but the new model looks so much better and is so much easier to work with that I will skip that plan....

I think the old GUO aged much better! At least as good as the old Lord of Change. Using old GUO's as Beasts of Nurgle is a great way to honour the toughest Greater Daemon to crack!

Archived