Free Shadespire card in White Dwarf

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

December's White Dwarf issue comes with an alternative art Healing Potion card for Shadespire

Jesus Creebuz! I'm so happy to read this. I saw the free card and thought it'd be something juicy and felt that "oh maybe they're going to put the best cards in with other products (nonshadespire) to force addicted shadespire buyers to purchase things" and I got a little bit down - not a lot as I don't see myself falling for that (even if I love the idea of having all the options needed), but a little.

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Agreed @Turragor,

I'm of the opinion that promos, freebies and the like should stick firmly to being foils or alternate art etc. Printing new cards that are not available in one of the retail sets would not be healthy for this game. Thankfully it does not look like they are going down this route.

yes! Take note GW (if you read) - keep promos and freebies to foils, alternates, gold cards what have you!

Yeah alternate arts are always the best way of promo's.

One small issue for the clear sleeve users however might be that the symbol of Shadespire is smaller on the promo as on the rest of the cards :P This is true for all Healing Potion Promo cards.

So yeah, all those who use clear sleeves might want to stop using them for Power and Objective cards soon ;) 

3 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I might put a single power card (not healing potion ofc) in a non-clear sleeve every game and rotate which card it is.

Keep the opponent on their toes.

While that sounds hilarious I would certainly vote against it if you would apply such 'tactics' in an organized event. As this is an example of card marking.
The thing really is that clear sleeves are allright if the card information is always open information, such as is the case on Fighter cards.

Non-clear sleeves (also promoted by Games Workshop themselves) are more ideal for the Power and Objective decks because the information is hidden and any random information that would que the knowledge of the card before drawing it in general should be forbidden for a competative setting. It most certainly is a form of card marking and thus also directly considered "cheating".

So after the different colour runs, minor differences in cuts and this smaller symbol/logo I would certainly once and for all state that it's better to use non-clear sleeves for your Power and Objective deck. Re-sleeving might be an annoying task for some but in reality it's better for both players their game experience, strives towards a non pre-advantaged game and generally improves the lifespan of your cards aswell. 

Bit off topic, but opaque sleeves are a must IMO. These cards are not cut and finished to the same high quality of popular TCGs (nor do they need to be tbf, as they hold no individual value) and we've seen examples of highly visible differences posted on these forums. However given this, I think I'd want to see everyone using opaque sleeves just so their could be no suspicion or doubt.

42 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Bit off topic, but opaque sleeves are a must IMO. These cards are not cut and finished to the same high quality of popular TCGs (nor do they need to be tbf, as they hold no individual value) and we've seen examples of highly visible differences posted on these forums. However given this, I think I'd want to see everyone using opaque sleeves just so their could be no suspicion or doubt.

Agree, rather irritatingly.  I have tonnes of clear sleeves which I'd started to pack them all up in before I realised the issue.  I've since bought a couple of different colours so I can pack my objective and ploy/upgrade decks in two different colours for ease of separation.

17 minutes ago, Dave Fraser said:

Agree, rather irritatingly.  I have tonnes of clear sleeves which I'd started to pack them all up in before I realised the issue.  I've since bought a couple of different colours so I can pack my objective and ploy/upgrade decks in two different colours for ease of separation.

Well at least you will be able to sleeve the collection that you currently dont play with. The fighter cards are completely fine with clear sleeves too and in the end there will be quite some fighter cards. Though if you indeed purchased 500 clear sleeves I agree that it's quite annoying, worry not though I think with one 'active deck' sleeve set you'll be ready for everything plus for casual games card marking really is of no concern to me. At least not if it's not done with the intend to know which card is which.

I agree and was just kidding :)

Edit/ I know almost nothing about card games and I don't think I can handle the niche collector mentality of mini games combined fully with card games.  I just muddle along for now!

I've sleeved all cards so far in the clear very tight and small Japanese brand? Is it KMC? I dunno. Anyway, those can go inside other normal sleeves. Ive some red dragon whatchamacallum ones and then a bunch of frontier games or something clear ones....

The system is too complex!

I've put up with it as a newcomer so far as I like the game and enjoy getting everything proper.

If there are complex steps I'm missing (like printing my own sleeves using a patented sleeve maker only from 1 of 2 community selected companies and NOT their EU brand but the West Asian brand bought ONLY from a particular seller and must be business year 2014 model...)  then I'm raising my eyebrows and doing my own thing after.

4 hours ago, Killax said:

clear sleeves are allright if the card information is always open information

They are also ok if you area not too fussed over the variation or if you just trust each other. 

Additional note -

One of my regular opponents refuses to sleeve at all - clear or otherwise - as he feels that doing so hampers his ability to shuffle and creates slippery stacks that slide around and fall over. 

Who am I to say he has to spend additional funds that result in him getting less enjoyment just so I can enforce a "rule" that's not even in the box he bought?

Well all is cool for casual games.

You'd be an informative guy if you point him to the organized play rules who forbid card marking and having one card be cut, coloured or damaged differently as the others is a form of card marking.

The trust notion is completely subjective, what is objective is that cards in non clear sleeves are hidden well enough so card marking cannot become an issue in the game.

Playing cards without sleeves is like playing models without paint. You can do it but if you somehow lose a card its close to impossible to know whos model or card that is if both players play without sleeves or painted models.

1 hour ago, Killax said:

point him to the organized play rules who forbid card marking and having one card be cut, coloured or damaged differently as the others is a form of card marking.

Half with you.  Yes, those rules say no marking. Agreed .

Disagree that playing with the cards as provided by the manufacturer is "marking."

It's not up to him to fix GW's QC issues. They made this to be a tournament game, and if they don't think matching backs is an issue in their own game, why should we? 

53 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Half with you.  Yes, those rules say no marking. Agreed .

Disagree that playing with the cards as provided by the manufacturer is "marking."

It's not up to him to fix GW's QC issues. They made this to be a tournament game, and if they don't think matching backs is an issue in their own game, why should we? 

I feel we should because organized play rules suggest as such. Not all is made for organized play but when we do enter tournaments or smaller events it's important to realize how any concerns can be prevented by simply using sleeves. Not only is it a common practice amongst all cardgames (from MtG to Pokémon) the judges and TO's will check your deck for markings and whoever marked it is irrelevant.

In addition there is also nothing a judge can appeal to for the irregular cuts, colour or damages. Cards could have been cut by the player, cards change in colour if left in the sun and damages come from playing or impropper handling. Whoever marked the card is irrelevant. It's up to the player to prevent it.

As before for casual gaming players should do whatever they want, for organized play things become stricter. It's the same for Age of Sigmar and 40K mind you, altough there issues can arrise to model conversions, using different bases or even purposefully using larger or smaller models of the same kind to obtain some kind of ingame advantage, which is most often not allowed for.

To point to an another example, the initial Bloodthirster was about as large as an ogre, the second as large as what we now use as a daemon prince, the latest is much bigger. For sure someone could show up with the oldest Bloodthirster but I guarantee you people will make a point if you try to hide behind a Mighty Lord on Juggernaut...

thirsters.jpg

I have all those blpodthirsters! :)

I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around two things.

1. The assumption of guilt in card gaming.

2. The fact that I played Mtg from the day it released (a week before, actually) all the way through The Dark and never once sleeved  ... and never had to or got chastized for it.  Now we have cards direct from the manufacturer and I'm being told they are not legit to use the way they were sold to me,  and all I think is "why? Where is the need coming from when it's been fine for yeeeeaaars?"

For the record, my deck is gold shields on objectives and purple on power. Cuz it's pretty. :P

On 11/29/2017 at 1:33 PM, Turragor said:

I agree and was just kidding :)

Edit/ I know almost nothing about card games and I don't think I can handle the niche collector mentality of mini games combined fully with card games.  I just muddle along for now!

I've sleeved all cards so far in the clear very tight and small Japanese brand? Is it KMC? I dunno. Anyway, those can go inside other normal sleeves. Ive some red dragon whatchamacallum ones and then a bunch of frontier games or something clear ones....

The system is too complex!

I've put up with it as a newcomer so far as I like the game and enjoy getting everything proper.

If there are complex steps I'm missing (like printing my own sleeves using a patented sleeve maker only from 1 of 2 community selected companies and NOT their EU brand but the West Asian brand bought ONLY from a particular seller and must be business year 2014 model...)  then I'm raising my eyebrows and doing my own thing after.

The very tight sleeves are called penny sleeves, or perfect fits. They are meant to be the inner sleeve in a 'real'  sleeve. Those thin clear sleeves won't protect your cards  well unfortunately. I suggest picking up some Hyper Matte sleeves if you can :), a pack of 80 from KMC should cost about 5 euro, but they are the best in the market.

Archived