'Competitive' Ironjawz

Malakithe

I've never owned more the 5 brutes =) and the gore gruntas were mvps of the weekend 100%!

I played an overlord in 1 game, and with a 14inch destruction move from Ravager they made it across the table and charged and surrounded both his frigates and then killed them both turn 1

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phenomenal Grunta rolling there @Deowag !

Feels like mine never do the business on the offensive (but definitely have a place in the defensive). Although I did run 6 once, pinned some Stormfiends in place before they could Sayl forward, and proceeded to beat a rather nasty Mixed Chaos list. At the time it felt like a fluke, but I'll definitely have to review my Grunta count..

11 hours ago, Deowag said:

I've never owned more the 5 brutes =) and the gore gruntas were mvps of the weekend 100%!

I played an overlord in 1 game, and with a 14inch destruction move from Ravager they made it across the table and charged and surrounded both his frigates and then killed them both turn 1

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Many congrats, man! It was great watching the IronJawz battle it out for the championships- re-instilled a bit of faith in my boyz!

Great seeing such a unique list too- well played obviously! I always run a unit of 6 Gruntas too; for their mobility, staying power, and just taking units out of the game for a couple of turns.

It was a big win for Destruction overall.

Great result @Deowag - That really is phenomenal to be up there in with a shot of winning the event last game, congratulations!

Interesting list as well, nice one for doing something a bit different. When I was using 6 Gore-gruntas at the start of the year I definitely found you got much more out of them, so I can definitely see them doing a good job for you.

Do you have a blog or anything online? I'd be interested in hearing about your games. Could perhaps look to get you on the podcast? Need to make the most of a good Ironjawz finish in a competitive field!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else spotted that there are 2 new ironjawz battalions in the GHB2 contents page reveal? 

Anyone else excited? 

Anyone else ready to take our new formations and alleigence abilities and embark on a Waaagh! To rock the very core of the mortal realms! 

Cant wait!

I'm looking forward to it. This may give me enough motivation to finish painting my force. Two themed battalions is nice, and because they're pointed at least they can be strong. It also gives some potential to have other warbands, like those covered in the painting guide, fleshed out. Mildly excited about Ironjawz getting their own allegiance abilities, but a lot of that will depend on how generic Destruction is adjusted. Will we be able to go toe-to-toe with BoK now?

Also, allies. If we can't take a Gargant as an ally, I will weep.

Just hope our movement is still our asset, get the impression the general allegiance abilities will get flunked in favour of faction abilities. 

Also, maybe something that gives our opponents penalties against their hit rolls in the shooting phase, that would be huge for us in this meta.

14 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Really excited for this book to reignite the juices and get some good discussions going here!!

I honestly can't wait either. Right now I feel like I'm in some sort of limbo where the current GHB and our current army lists are outdated and the new fancy is coming soon. We all know the changes will most likely turn us upside down and topsy turvy, so it kind of feels like a waste investing time in theorycrafting and games outside of for fun until it's here.

Which is a perfect excuse to play Skirmish for a few weeks!

@Payce - Nailed it. It's why I didn't mind taking an underpowered list to EGGS this past weekend as it really doesn't matter right now. Using the event to motivate myself to finally finish that second Gore-grunta unit was worthwhile for sure. As it happened I ended up having 4 great, tight tactical games! Will report on them in my thread (probably next week now).

Looking forward to starting a fresh here though!

• 2 weeks later...

I know GHB2017 is just around the corner, but gonna ask anyway.

For 1500 Points and list below, would u use a second Megaboss, a second Warchanter or a Shaman?
I could see the benefit of all three, boss for more hakka and slasha and boosting brutes going away from main line, warchanter cause warchanter (+1) and the shaman for a +1 armour save on the big brute squad.

Also, how do u find the weapon choices on my squads? Stupid to have all ardboys with shield?

Megaboss 140
Warchanter 80
10 ardboyz, standard, drums, choppa and shield 180
10 brutes, claw, 2x gore shoppa, 7x jagged gore hackas 360
5 brutes, claw, gore shoppa, 3x double choppas 180
Ironfist 60

1360/1500

59 minutes ago, Kmzz0r said:

I know GHB2017 is just around the corner, but gonna ask anyway.

For 1500 Points and list below, would u use a second Megaboss, a second Warchanter or a Shaman?
I could see the benefit of all three, boss for more hakka and slasha and boosting brutes going away from main line, warchanter cause warchanter (+1) and the shaman for a +1 armour save on the big brute squad.

Also, how do u find the weapon choices on my squads? Stupid to have all ardboys with shield?

Megaboss 140
Warchanter 80
10 brutes, claw, 2x gore shoppa, 7x jagged gore hackas 360
Ironfist 60

1360/1500

I'd go with a 2nd Megaboss personally, he can mother your Brutes and provide a more intimidating hero for your opponent to deal with.

Ususally I'd say go for a Shaman just for that +1 save or ranged threat, but he's become increasingly anonymous in my games recently. If he doesn't get a points drop in GHB2, and I need the space, he may well be the first on the chopping block in my 2k list.

Shields on Ardboys isn't stupid, if you can roll the averages (a few 6s each time and it's worthwhile). Personally, it wasn't worth it for me, the extra attack or the rend is far more useful. But again, it's your preference and playing style. The only reason I don't mix & match the loadout on my Ardboys is because I like to keep things nice and clean, and know what I'm rolling. Definitely some merit in trial & error when it comes to Ardboys - just get a few games with them and see what works for you.

I hope the allegiance abilities and those battalions are good...like really good. Otherwise, just like Death, no one will take them over the super speed that Destruction + Ironfist gives...for a slow army it will take a huuuuge incentive to take something over raw speed like that  

Death is kinda in the same place. Its cool that Soulblight and Nighthaunt get their own stuff...but will it be better then a 6++ save thats potentially stackable? 

So, Destruction allegiance traits have been previewed over on the community site, including Ironjawz.

AoSGenHandbook-Destruction-Image1jt.jpg

It will be hard to give up the basic Destruction move for this alone, so I'm hoping that the other traits for generals (and spell list??), and artifacts are competitive. One general trait has been teased:

AoSGenHandbook-Destruction-Image2hrx.jpg

Again, good, but not reliable. In years of various gaming, I've come to understand that reliability and movement are two amazing things.

There was also a tease about Gargants dropping in points... then saying that you'll be able to take 2 in a 2000 point army. Not sure if that's an error on the points then, or if they're alluding to the maximum number of behemoths that can be taken (and that allies count against that cap). Also, Squigs confirmed as allies.

2 minutes ago, Beardbattered said:

Presumably Dakkbad is going to be on a Krusha since it says you can apply strength from victory to the weapon of your choice instead of just the boss Choppa?

You still can choice 1 weapon from list with 1 weapon in it ) 

7 minutes ago, Imperial said:

You still can choice 1 weapon from list with 1 weapon in it ) 

The megaboss on foots strength from victory is worded differently than the krusha one though.  It specifically says it applies to the boss choppa.

Megaboss

Screenshot_20170811-101459.png.4277ca076a0df0522887f9d614602af0.png

Magaboss on krusha

Screenshot_20170811-101513.png.4282e77aea218dd868a3462de1791515.png

Am I reading too much into this?

5 minutes ago, Beardbattered said:

The megaboss on foots strength from victory is worded differently than the krusha one though.  It specifically says it applies to the boss choppa.

In faq or facebook GW already said what same ability can be worded differently so i think we see common wording for both bosses. 

Archived