The future of Grand Alliance Books

Xelotath

The Grand Alliance books are largely obsolete now, but I was thinking today what the future for them could hold. Do we think we will see updates for them? 

Currently they are pretty much just a collection of warscrolls, however in future it could be a good place to update warscrolls and even add allegiance abilities for factions still lacking them, perhaps with points in the back. 

Whilst it's ground covered mostly by GHB I feel there could still be a place for these books in the future

14 hours ago, Xelotath said:

The Grand Alliance books are largely obsolete now, but I was thinking today what the future for them could hold. Do we think we will see updates for them? 

Currently they are pretty much just a collection of warscrolls, however in future it could be a good place to update warscrolls and even add allegiance abilities for factions still lacking them, perhaps with points in the back. 

Whilst it's ground covered mostly by GHB I feel there could still be a place for these books in the future

I see another role for the alliance books that GW missed in the first editions. When I started AoS, I was looking for the context for all my armies/the factions. Especially for the factions without books the background, the context/relations/new culture is hard to find. 

I would have loved for the grand alliance books to add a bit more backbone to the different factions. I have the destruction one and it's not much more than the warscrolls + 1 page of context per faction. 

Besides the advantages of having all warscrolls in print I can think of no other advantage for the GA books in this format. (at least for me personally)

That's a very good point, why play an army of spider riding goblins for instance if they have no place in the world? The GA books are a great opportunity to add context to under developed armies. 

While I think you guys are right, the books are basically obsolete in age of Sigmar as it stands, I feel it would be a great place to update/ add allegiance abilities or warscrolls instead of GHB. 

As far as GHB is concerned I'd rather see an advanced rule section that deals with things like shooting while in combat for matched play games, while Grand Alliance books add flavour in terms of allegiance abilities.

i feel that the GA books are a missed opportunity to expand on lesser represented factions either way 

So I'm of a few minds on the Grand Alliance books.

For one, they're not really obsolete. Sure, there are some warscrolls in there that don't match due to updates of those factions. But there are still a ton of factions that haven't been changed since they came out.

So the content is only 'partially' obsolete.

If you want them in print form, then buy the appropriate battletome or grand alliance book. If you're happy with digital, then don't. I only have the Grand Alliance Order book for example, and it's only because I was interested in reading the fluff in it. I don't use it in games, because I find digital far more convenient. To me, the only value in them is the fluff which IMO should probably be available for free anyway.

But I definitely agree they could release a new set of books, featuring the non-battletome armies and provide allegiance abilities, battalions, extra fluff, etc in them. There's no need for instance, that half the Order book is filled with Stormcast, Seraphon, Sylvaneth and Fyreslayers, that's what their battletomes are for. It is a chance to expand on the smaller factions that haven't seen the same love.

But overall, I'm not sure I want them to.

To me, this really indicates the 'nail in the coffin' for those factions. It would mean that GW is content with those factions as is, and aren't really interested in expanding them in new ways. Which I think would be a true shame, as the whole reason a lot of the factions are 'small' is because GW have obviously thought at some point that those factions have a particular theme that could be moulded into something in the future.

I don't want those factions to basically be "We like these old models, we want to keep them around so people can keep buying them, but we don't want to expand on those factions anymore". I think there's a lot of potential in a lot of the existing small factions to be expanded upon fluffwise, modelwise, and gamewise and put properly into the AoS world.I don't think every faction in the game has to be new and exciting and different (Heck, Sylvaneth aren't exactly that unique). There's plenty of scope for more 'traditional' fantasy races with the GW spin. Take Dispossessed for example. Pretty standard Dwarven stuff. Yet not everyone wants to collect naked mohawk fyreslayers or steampunk kharadrons. Some people just want to collect Dwarves. And that's where Dispossessed come in. Or where Wanderers come in, or Darkling Covens, or Free Peoples, Greenskinz, Gitmob, Deathrattle, Nighthaunt, Brayherds, Slaves to Darkness, etc.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Overall, I just want to see more content, and I want to see GW show some love to their existing factions as well as create new exciting factions. There's plenty of room and scope for both.

1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

Personally, I would like Grand Alliance books for lore only and the app being the absolute and only source of Warscrolls.

It pains me to say this, as I like my warscrolls on paper. However, it prevents things becoming confusing and chaotic.

I'm pretty much in this camp too, the fact that their are multiple sources is a bit silly and one reason why they should probably only be in one place. I think though, if the app is going to be the only place to get them their should be an accessible print option, or way of printing off your entire 'My Battle' page so people can have them in paper for tournaments etc (heck you could even timestamp the pages too).

10 hours ago, someone2040 said:

To me, this really indicates the 'nail in the coffin' for those factions. It would mean that GW is content with those factions as is, and aren't really interested in expanding them in new ways. Which I think would be a true shame, as the whole reason a lot of the factions are 'small' is because GW have obviously thought at some point that those factions have a particular theme that could be moulded into something in the future.

Good point if they would do it in a 'set it up' way. For me the story at the start of 'Gulgaz Stoneklaw' on the first pages of the Path to Glory book is enough to get a feel for Bonesplitters. More so it doesn't bind GW to give them a fixed 'position' in the infinite realms but it does give me an inkling of how these bonesplitters behave. 
Added advantage to new players this can give them context for a faction that they have no feeling for yet. (although I realise that bonesplitters have their tome, I can understand a new player might not be interested until the models gain some context). 

So yes, fully agree that that's a risk but also something that could be avoided. 

10 hours ago, someone2040 said:

But overall, I'm not sure I want them to.

I have a feeling thats going to be a looong wait for battletomes for 'old' factions.  I can certainly imagine them re-releasing GA books in the next few years as a kind of compilation, with Firestorm allegiances (once its no longer available separate), allegiance abilities (as GHB2018 wont repeat allegiances from 2017 unless they are being changed), and other scrolls there may be floating about.

6 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Personally, I would like Grand Alliance books for lore only and the app being the absolute and only source of Warscrolls.

It pains me to say this, as I like my warscrolls on paper. However, it prevents things becoming confusing and chaotic.

This would be ok with me IF and ONLY IF, they make their app not platform locked.  It should run on laptops/pc's, maybe make it a response web app,?  Something that makes it more widely available.

I don't want to be staring at a tiny screen for my warscrolls, my vision isn't that good to begin with. 

1 hour ago, chord said:

is would be ok with me IF and ONLY IF, they make their app not platform locked.  It should run on laptops/pc's, maybe make it a response web app,?  Something that makes it more widely available.

Oh that's a given without any changes to the GA books. It's understandable that they rolled it out on a few platforms in the testing phase but by now it should be available on pc's etc. 

6 hours ago, Nubgan said:

I'm pretty much in this camp too, the fact that their are multiple sources is a bit silly and one reason why they should probably only be in one place. I think though, if the app is going to be the only place to get them their should be an accessible print option, or way of printing off your entire 'My Battle' page so people can have them in paper for tournaments etc (heck you could even timestamp the pages too).

Count me in too. I do hope AoS won't become the 40k before the 8th really.

Archived