Ironjaws or Bonesplitterz?

Incineroar87

Bonesplitterz are probably the more competitive army.  Covering the table in arrow boys is very effective, but does have a couple of hard counters.  

A good player can take a big Kunnin Rukk very deep in a tournament, and even win with the right matchups.

They don't have any other build that has done well at major events, only arrow boys spam has proven effective (unless you can pull a rabbit out of the hat).

Ironjawz are a tricky one, a couple of people (including some high-profile forum stalwarts) are doing very well with them, but they are highly experienced gamers.  They would probably do just as well (or better) with many other armies if they practiced with them extensively.  They can be very punishing of mistakes.

In my opinion Kunnin Rukk is a top tier army, and a strong Ironjawz army is a solid second tier option.  I believe that Ironjawz are a lot more interesting to play with at a competitive level, because the Bonesplitterz competitive build is very skewed.

FWIW I played Bonesplitterz all of last year, and did very well with them at local events.  However I didn't really want to go down the rabbit hole of chasing exponential volumes of Arrow Boys that GH17 pushes you down, so I'm focussing on Ironjawz under GH17.  I think that playing Ironjawz competitively will be more engaging, and will also make me a better player, so I'll be in good shape for a new Grot release or GH18 when it comes.

As an addition to the above post.

The Kunnin Rukk got hit with gbh 2017 apparently. Also Ironjawz has been performing well in the past few tournaments with it taking 2nd in the recent facehammer. Both are pretty competitive atm and the meta is shifting around still, there are a couple of big players but from what I've seen on this forum both IJ and Bonesplitterz are solid high T2 armies.

You really need some of the big boys to give a better insight :P 

Two really good threads to look at for this question. 

Those are a run down of the 2 most recent tournaments. 

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

The Kunnin Rukk got hit with gbh 2017 apparently. Also Ironjawz has been performing well in the past few tournaments with it taking 2nd in the recent facehammer. Both are pretty competitive atm and the meta is shifting around still, there are a couple of big players but from what I've seen on this forum both IJ and Bonesplitterz are solid high T2 armies.

I'm not sure about that...Bonesplitterz overall got hit pretty hard, but Kunnin Rukk didn't come out too badly.  They zapped their points pretty much universally, while on the other hand making the Arrow Boys battleline. 

Kunnin Rukk is still one of the cheaper batallions around at 160 points, and because you no longer needed to waste points on things like Savage Orruks, the Kunnin Rukk wasn't actually hit that hard.  Overall the effect was to make the fun stuff even less viable, and rebalance the competitive build ever further towards Arrow Boys as far as the eye can see.  As an illustration I believe Nicky Myland won EGGS (last major event under GH16) with 90 Arrow Boys, and he placed 7th  at Blackout (only Destruction in the Top 25) with 120 Arrow Boys.

They are still vulnerable to hard counters (Nicky will tell you that the Vanguard Wing gives him nightmares) but that was always the case.  And they eat some very competitive armies like the Murderhost for breakfast.  So overall I don't believe it's true to say that GH17 nerfed Kunnin Rukk. 

Bonesitterz Kunning Rukk armies are what you call spoiler lists. Will dominate most opponents, but will run into a brick wall when it runs into a hard counter. Because of that it will rack up RT wins, but rarely win GTs as they are more likely to encounter them.

Ironjaws are solid upper tier 2. They are strong all around and in skilled hands can challenge the top tables. They less likely to be hard countered, but will still struggle against the very top lists.

It's really a toss up . Statistically the Kunning Rukk does slightly better, but Ironjaws is not that far behind and is more enjoyable for everyone involved.

While I agree that if you want to do really well (with some lucky match ups and hope you don't bump into a mirror shield star drake) then archer spam is the go to option for Bonesplitterz ( I doubt you will get many best sports votes though and you best be good at rolling dice fast) there are other options  .. I came 18th at the Warhammer finals with no Kunnin Rukk.. I doubt I will ever win anything major but there are fun other options..... Can you see that flying pig?

Archived