Let's Chat: Seraphon 2017

tolstedt

Hi all, i have a big question here, how does dracothian's tail battalions works? I mean, what does it mean that the saurus i summon have to be part of the battalion? And if i summon a saurus following the summoning spell how many models i summon (example: i summon saurus guard, did i summon just 5 of them or  i can summon 10 like if the cast spell was 11 or more)?

Can someone explain me how all the battalion works?

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Axter said:

Hi all, i have a big question here, how does dracothian's tail battalions works? I mean, what does it mean that the saurus i summon have to be part of the battalion? And if i summon a saurus following the summoning spell how many models i summon (example: i summon saurus guard, did i summon just 5 of them or  i can summon 10 like if the cast spell was 11 or more)?

Can someone explain me how all the battalion works?

People are going to argue with you because it is written poorly in the book, but here is how it works:

Any Saurus units from the battalion can be summoned.  You set them aside at the beginning of the battle. 

It doesn't matter how big the unit is, you summon the full unit.  You don't roll for the spell, and it doesn't count for spells cast during the turn.

It is a battalion that works like a deepstrike battalion except that you are limited to the range of the spell from the Slann.

Any other interpretation makes no sense.  It would be unplayable!  To me, the intent is very clear here.

I have played with it as described and it is a fair and solid army.

1 hour ago, tolstedt said:

People are going to argue with you because it is written poorly in the book, but here is how it works:

Any Saurus units from the battalion can be summoned.  You set them aside at the beginning of the battle. 

It doesn't matter how big the unit is, you summon the full unit.  You don't roll for the spell, and it doesn't count for spells cast during the turn.

It is a battalion that works like a deepstrike battalion except that you are limited to the range of the spell from the Slann.

Any other interpretation makes no sense.  It would be unplayable!  To me, the intent is very clear here.

I have played with it as described and it is a fair and solid army.

Thanks! Is that the real interpretation? I mean, are you sure that this is how it have to be played? 

3 hours ago, tolstedt said:

I'm going to disagree on the size of the unit. Doesn't the battalion mention that he casts the spell (granted, without a casting roll)? Then it would be stuck with the same unit size restrictions. Such is my interpretation anyway, but I've not used the battalion. 

2 hours ago, rokapoke said:

I'm going to disagree on the size of the unit. Doesn't the battalion mention that he casts the spell (granted, without a casting roll)? Then it would be stuck with the same unit size restrictions. Such is my interpretation anyway, but I've not used the battalion. 

That would completely go against their push for massive regiments. It makes literally no sense to have that limit when no other deep strike army does  either. The whole battalion is terribly written though. 

But I'm sure we will keep arguing until there is a FAQ for it. 

I'd say it really is intended that the Slann summons the full unit without size restriction or any other restrictions except range and the "rule of one"-like rule.

It has to be the unit from the bataillon, so if that exact unit is on your army list, you can summon it.

The wording is abysmal. I have no clue why they worded it so weirdly.

12 hours ago, erasercrumbs said:

So I just bought the Seraphon SC box. I'm thinking about making my next purchase a Skink Starpriest and a box of Saurus Warriors. Is that sound?

I've recently started Seraphon so take this with a pinch of salt, but you may be better off getting another start collecting box. I've kickstarted my army off with two, which has given me:

- Oldblood on Carnosaur

- Troglodon

- 2 x 10 Saurus Warriors (4 guys spare)

- 3 x 5 Saurus Knights (2 guys spare)

I've then grabbed a Skink Starpriest to kickstart my list to a nice round 1000 points :)

4 minutes ago, J.J said:

- 3 x 5 Saurus Knights (2 guys spare)

Note that with the bits that come in the Knight kit you can easily build one of those to look like the Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One, which is a 100-point hero who synergizes extremely well with the Knights.

Built from Start Collecting #1 (using only bits from the box -- nothing from other purchases):

1x Troglodon
1x Saurus Oldblood on Foot (with the otherwise unused Carnosaur rider and following the instructions)
1x Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (based off a Knight)
7x Saurus Knights (2 are still unpainted)
12x Saurus Warriors (2 are still unpainted)

To build from Start Collecting #2 (again, using only bits from the box, with no additional purchases):

1x Oldblood or Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
1x Skink Priest (putting the Troglodon rider on the provided Oldblood base)
8x Saurus Knights (taking me to 15 total)
12x Saurus Warriors (taking me to 24 total)

Really, you can't beat the bargain when you get two Start Collecting Seraphon boxes!

I have been slowly building a Seraphon collection. My current units are: 

• Slann Starmaster
  • Oldblood on Carnosaur
  • Scar Veteran on Cold One
  • Skink Priest
  • 1x10 Saurus Warriors w/Spears
  • 3x5 Saurus Knights w/Lances
  • Salamander
  • 1x3 Skink Handlers

What lists could I make with this? In addition, y first two purchases were the SC box and the Knights box, in order to make the Firelance Starhost. Is that battalion currently viable?

6 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

• Slann Starmaster
  • Oldblood on Carnosaur
  • Skink Priest
  • Salamander
  • 1x3 Skink Handlers

What lists could I make with this? In addition, y first two purchases were the SC box and the Knights box, in order to make the Firelance Starhost. Is that battalion currently viable?

I have won games using the Firelance. It is not the best bataillon so in a competitive environment it is...meh. But it doesn't quite suck either.

2 hours ago, Aginor said:

I have won games using the Firelance. It is not the best bataillon so in a competitive environment it is...meh. But it doesn't quite suck either.

The knights are great.  They are on par with liberators.  Fast liberators, which I enjoy to control space.  

But their damage output is unreliable.  Even with an astrolith and mystical terrain they are still not doing much damage.

So use them well.  I wouldn't take the firelance unless running dracothian's tail from the GHB17. 

I just use them as fast chaff.

8 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

• Slann Starmaster
  • Oldblood on Carnosaur
  • Skink Priest
  • Salamander
  • 1x3 Skink Handlers

Looks like about 1000 points there without the salamander?  I'd say you'll do fine with that list unless you're facing some crazy  optimized 1000 point army, but it sounds like in your group that's not the case.

6 hours ago, tolstedt said:

Looks like about 1000 points there without the salamander?  I'd say you'll do fine with that list unless you're facing some crazy  optimized 1000 point army, but it sounds like in your group that's not the case.

There's only about four players currently. Aside from me, we have Flesh-Eater Courts, Slaves to Darkness, and Sylvaneth. There's also a Stormcast army lying around that's mostly from the Starter box.  Due to my Slann, I have no real competition with magic, but my battleline gets burned through quickly. Tips?

2 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

There's only about four players currently. Aside from me, we have Flesh-Eater Courts, Slaves to Darkness, and Sylvaneth. There's also a Stormcast army lying around that's mostly from the Starter box.  Due to my Slann, I have no real competition with magic, but my battleline gets burned through quickly. Tips?

Are you playing match play scenarios?

Remember that you don't need to stay alive to win.

Hi guys.

I recently did a straight army swap with a gentleman, trading my 40k Salamanders army for a large amount of Seraphon. After inventoring I have the following to play with;

49 saurus knights 
35 saurus guard 
2 saurus scar veterans on cold ones 
106 Saurus Warriors
129 skinks 
2 Stegadon 
Skink priest 
Slann 
3 ripperdactyle 
Saurus scar veteran on carnisaur 
Eternity warden 
2 conversions that could pass for a few things.

I have only ever played against two Seraphon lists. One was basically a double firelance, and the other was an external starhost with a skink that lets your army re-roll ones for a 2+ rerollable save army. I could use a short primer on other list archeypes and synergies, as well as suggestions on buying. 

Also a question, all the firelance lists I've seen on this thread use units of 5. Is there a reason not to use units of 10?

5 hours ago, bonzai said:

Also a question, all the firelance lists I've seen on this thread use units of 5. Is there a reason not to use units of 10?

Well, most people probably have two starter boxes so they can build three units of five Knights which is the minimum. The other reason not to play 10 would be that it is hard to get them all in range to hit because they carry the world's shortest lances with 1" range  (WTF GW....) But if you have enough open space, no problem.

About your army: That's a LOT of models. You can build quite some stuff out of that.

I'd recommend getting a Starpriest, a Sunblood and an Astrolith Bearer and you can build many cool Saurus lists.

Synergies.... we have a lot. The three heros I mentioned are great, and so are the regular Priest and the Slann you have. Check out their warscrolls, usually the things that work well for synergies are right there, abilities or spells.
In our army there is no really useless unit, everything has a place in some list.

Also you should maybe get the Battletome and the GHB2017 if you don't have it already, for bataillons and allegiance abilities.

Iv jumped aboard the Seraphon party! (Well I have bought a start collecting box and skink star priest and numerous bids for other stuff in on E-Bay and need to get another army painted first before I delve fully into this new new project!)

What are peoples top tips, advice and general info I should know having never played Seraphon before and going all in on an impulse buy this afternoon?

On 10/28/2017 at 8:12 AM, 13on2D6 said:

Iv jumped aboard the Seraphon party! (Well I have bought a start collecting box and skink star priest and numerous bids for other stuff in on E-Bay and need to get another army painted first before I delve fully into this new new project!)

What are peoples top tips, advice and general info I should know having never played Seraphon before and going all in on an impulse buy this afternoon?

Welcomed man! You will find that the army is very diverce and you can play it preatty much any way you want, horde, monsters, mortal wounds, shooting, alpha strike, etc...

the following option are really good:

ripperdactils

slann

bastiladon

skinks

Dracothians tail is a very powerfull battalion also.

do you have any preferences on how you would like to play?

Archived