GH2017 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

bonzai

4 hours ago, Towenaar said:

I think Arrow boyz are going to be less useful in the new edition. Now they'll be hitting on sixes most of the time when targeting characters, +1 to hit with our spell is going to be a bit easier to unbind, plus they'll be quite easy to engage in combat with such a large unit, limiting their target options.

And they lost the +1 to hit from Damned and reroll wounds from Mystical.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

And they lost the +1 to hit from Damned and reroll wounds from Mystical.

At least it hurt other army as well. I think the new format is unfavourable for support arrowboys, but is gonna favour even more the kunnin ruk build
(assuming arrowboys remain battleline). When you play 30 arrowboys, you're usually looking at killing specific stuff so new rules will hurt.
When you're playing 3 x 30 you're just looking at killing everything, so it won't matter much (and withouth the old mystic shield it might actually 
get easier)

Well, if we proceed with the concept that not much will be functionally changing in our warscrolls (maybe it does - but for the moment I am going to assume no), then it seems to me that the Greenskinz have some very intriguing ally potential.  The Warboss on Wyvern was already a pretty good self-functioning model and now his command ability works on the Bonesplitterz even if he is not the general.  Then there is the Warboss on foot.  That guy was already pretty good due to the totem ability when he is carrying a banner - now his command ability works as well.  It seems to me that a Bonesplitterz army that emphasizes melee combat will probably want to bring along one or more Greenskinz warbosses with banner.  

One way that new magic could disproportionately benefit Bonesplitterz is that our warscroll spells are a real mixed bag (or non existant in the case of the Wardokk).  So even within the Bonesplitterz Allegiance, it can be useful to have access to more cool spells - and if using Bonepslitterz wizards as Allies / Mixed GA, especially so. 

If we are considering different bulids, you could see a situation where the wizards have a new role supporting a melee army by acting as mortal wound artillery to crack through tough armour saves, rather than buffing the ****** out of an Arrow Boy deathstar.

@Skabnoze yeah you could get some nice combos there.  Big Stabbas with Brutal Beast Spirits, rerolling 1s to hit and wound with double the atttacks.  I guess the only downside is that the Waaagh! is combat phase only, meaning it wouldn't combo with the Teef Rukk / Prophet Command Ability / Kopp Rukk spell.  Still, they could be pretty tasty!

44 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Heres another thought...what's happening with the Balewind? It wasnt included in the endless spell pack.

One of the first previews said its function was changing but nothing since

I assume its because the balewind is already packaged and sold separately. One of the first previews did say that it is now an endless spell and has been reworked.

Extrapolating from the Idoneth preview, it looks like we won't be able to use the Fungoid Cave Shaman's command ability after all. It has specific language stating that it has to be ypur general. According to the Idoneth preview, that is by designing and not likely to change.

Thats a bummer. I was searching for an excuse to pick him up.

5 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

So just put him in and make him your general then? If he dies you just pick another one, and all your other heroes can still use their Command Abilities without having to be your general. 

yeah it's just you mignt loose an important trait early game (like ironclad on Maw Krusha)

for Bonesplitterz their trait are not great so it's not a big deal, but he is not as good as in Ironjawz either!

We don't know what the rules for selecting the general, allies, and primary allegiance will be.  So we don't know if it is possible to use the Fungus Shaman as a general outside of Moonclan or general Destruction.  There were rules in the malign portents campaign - but we don't know if those will be valid in standard 2nd edition matched play or not.

So we just get to wait and see.

On 6/11/2018 at 2:27 AM, PlasticCraic said:

So just put him in and make him your general then? If he dies you just pick another one, and all your other heroes can still use their Command Abilities without having to be your general. 

You would lose your Bonesplitterz allegiance, at least the way the rules stand now, as allies can't be your general.

4 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Good ol' me.  Working on adding 30 arrowboys to my army, now that we're on the eve of shooting getting less good.  Hahahahaha I never win.

I think they will still be a good unit - unless the warscroll is changed in some way or they become too expensive.  I don't think too many of the new shooting rules really negatively impacts a single unit of Arrowboyz.  If you are using a whole army of them then you will need to adapt a bit, but I expect that in most cases normal games will still flow about the same.

37 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I think they will still be a good unit - unless the warscroll is changed in some way or they become too expensive.  I don't think too many of the new shooting rules really negatively impacts a single unit of Arrowboyz.  If you are using a whole army of them then you will need to adapt a bit, but I expect that in most cases normal games will still flow about the same.

Agreed. Arrowboys will still be strong, it's just that bubble wrap and screening are now more important. 

9 hours ago, bonzai said:

You would lose your Bonesplitterz allegiance, at least the way the rules stand now, as allies can't be your general.

That's not true mate, the latest Malpo FAQ specifies that you definitely can ?

Whether that might change under the new ed, who knows, but as of today he can totally be your general without breaking Allegiance.

I'm not sure he's essential for Boneys, but you could do something like run + charge  your Maniaks turn 1, making it more likely you'll get over screens.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:06 PM, PlasticCraic said:

That's not true mate, the latest Malpo FAQ specifies that you definitely can ?

Whether that might change under the new ed, who knows, but as of today he can totally be your general without breaking Allegiance.

I'm not sure he's essential for Boneys, but you could do something like run + charge  your Maniaks turn 1, making it more likely you'll get over screens.

Ah. I never picked up Malighn Portents, and was going by the GHB17 where it specifically says they can't. 

Just read the new rules. Interesting changes to allies. Now its 1 in 4 units, not a set point value. Fun stuff. I can now run 2 rogue idols, one for Gork and one for Mork if I really wanted to. Lol.

Yeah there's some photos up on the Bonesplitterz FB page.

They're pretty blurry, but I think Maniaks are 140

Boarboys 100

Arrowboys 140

Those are the only three units with an asterisk

Changes to all the Batallions except Kopp Rukk (!), but very difficult to make out

5 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

On other places, people say Matched Play ally point limits are unchanged.

Not surprised.  I think the current limit is fairly sensible.  Sure, there are a few fun things that don’t fit, but that’s just how things go.

Archived