Help for a new player please ?

Aebal

Hello! I'm very new in this world, and I want to start the army perfect for me. 

I am a player that likes priests and their gameplay on most of the games (either good priests or evil priests).

I like variety on my army. I don't like an army with the same unit or similar ones one to each other.  Examples of that are dwarves, orcs and stormcast eternals.

I like armies that anyone else goes with. Of course i'm not asking for a list, I'm asking for suggestions about what is the best "race" to start with my likes. So i like not-massive played armies (avoiding atormcast and khorne...)

I like to paint. Different color schemes in the same army would be wonderful, but the possibility to make a color scheme by my own it would be even better. For example those seraphon, you can paint them as you want! Dark lizards, white lizards, green, red, rainbow... 

I've been thinking about Seraphon, Slaanesh and Spirits. By the way, the last 2 of them have very low number of different miniatures (spirits specially) so well. If you could help me telling me which other races could fit on my likings, or what you think could be the best for me, please comment! 

Thanks generals! :)

I play against seraphon regularly, the lad I play has just about all of the models available. As you say they definitely meet the criteria you have mentioned. They are also getting a big section of the new generals handbook dedicated to them too which should make them even more competitive. No doubt there will be new abilities for the starpriests in there too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It sounds like Seraphon are the way to go.  They will give you a wide range of models to paint and several casters to play with.  You also get big dinosaurs with the Carnosaur, Stegadon, and Bastilidon.  To start with, I'd recommend the Start Collecting, a box of Saurus Guard, and a Skink Starpriest.  That will give you a solid starting force and around 1000 points.  After that, just grab the models you like.  My son loves his Seraphon.

Ty wise mates! :)

I have more questions. Would it be another possibility instead of seraphon that would fit in the description? I like Cthulhu themed too.

And if I go ahead with Seraphon and I would have 200€ to spend, which options would I have in order to start? I've seen the start collecting but I'm not sure if it's the best way to go, because 12 saurus warriors and 8 knights... that have to go in units of 10 and 5... well, and I don't find them That good. Give me more light on both questions please :)

I think Chaos best fits your desires.  All the characters are religious by default, and mixed chaos lists make more sense than perhaps any other Grand Alliance from a background perspective.  Pick God-specific mortals + associated daemons + slaves to darkness + sprinkled monsters.  Huge variety of models meant to be colorfully painted!

50 minutes ago, Aebal said:

I have more questions. Would it be another possibility instead of seraphon that would fit in the description? I like Cthulhu themed too.

And if I go ahead with Seraphon and I would have 200€ to spend, which options would I have in order to start? I've seen the start collecting but I'm not sure if it's the best way to go, because 12 saurus warriors and 8 knights... that have to go in units of 10 and 5... well, and I don't find them That good. Give me more light on both questions please :)

For what it's worth, the Start Collecting kit Knights can easily produce 7 Knights plus a Scar Veteran on Cold One (the Celestial War Pick weapon is an option on the sprue). You are also able to create a Skink Priest from the Troglodon rider if you build the Carnosaur, or an Oldblood on foot if you build the Troglodon. So you actually get quite a lot out of that box.

Plus, DINOSAURS RIDING DINOSAURS!

I do think Seraphon is a good route, especially if you're looking at it from a varied painting project aspect - lots and lots of varieties you can mix in.  Chaos would indeed work from a thematic point of view, but I think you'll have more fun from the less often seen dinosaur faction :D

5 hours ago, Aebal said:

The 12 and 8 goes back to WFB 6th edition when you only needed 4 across to make a rank.  So, all of the 25mm bases came in boxes of 16 and 20mm came in boxes of 20.  That changed with 8th when they started putting out models in 10s.  You can easily find the extra Saurus Warriors/Knights to flesh out to extra units on ebay.

Don't worry about finecast models for Seraphon.  There are still only a few and they aren't game-changing (except Slaan Priest).  You can find the metal ones, if you look hard enough.

Chaos also gives you a lot options because you don't have to go faction specific.  There are still rumors of the plastic Keeper of secrets, which could also mean a few more units for Slaanesh (based on Khorne and Tzeentch).

Either of these armies would give you solid lists to choose from.  It's more a matter of what you would like to paint.

Have you considered a combined Aelf army? I have a pal who has made an army out of all the different Elven factions (Darkling Covens, Phoenix Temple, Swifthawk Agents, Wanderers and a dragon for good measure) and painted them in a unified paint scheme. The army looks great, and has a huuuuugeee variety of units to choose from. We've had some pretty decent games, too, though obviously it's no tournament list. Against my fluffier army we had a fantastic battle.

The Spire of Dawn set (65 Euro) gives you a 700pt army straight away, and an 'enemy' army to build and practice against. Alternatively, you can sell all the Skaven units on eBay and get half of that 65 Euro back, allowing you to buy some other Aelf units.

Thanks wise generals :)

I'm almost decided to go with Seraphon. Chaos seems too familiar to me, the same as we always see, and I would like something new. The aelves option seemed to be a good option, but I expect that new releases are on the way for that faction, and if something catches my eye maybe I will decide fo4 the second army.

By de way, I go with Seraphon :)

Any "buy list" I should care about? I have 200€, so any advise with this?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wl3zJzmXcXrievqvnoqtlOMHwG3-SCtRXMWfKFQ2ZVw/htmlview#gid=0

This is Stawks 1000 point starter lists link. And a 1000 point starter for Seraphon

It doesn't have all of the new collecting box discounts, but they haven't had any recently.

(Closest I can get to costs is in GBP and at cirrrnt exchange rates 200 Euro is ~180 GBP so that will get you started and you can try out from there.)

Seraphon

Model Count Unit Point Purchase Type Cost UK

1 Skink Starpriest 100 Box £12.00

1 Old Blood on Carnosaur 320 Start Collecting!

5 Saurus Knights 120 Start Collecting!

10 Saurus Warriors 100 Start Collecting! £50.00

20 Saurus Warriors 200 Box £23.00

20 Skinks 160 Box £21.00

Total: £106.00 for 1000points

If you don't want to go "all in" the Start Collecting box is playable as-is in the Path to Glory.

Note: These points may change in 2 weeks when the 2017 GHB comes out.

7 hours ago, Aebal said:

Thanks wise generals :)

I'm almost decided to go with Seraphon. Chaos seems too familiar to me, the same as we always see, and I would like something new. The aelves option seemed to be a good option, but I expect that new releases are on the way for that faction, and if something catches my eye maybe I will decide fo4 the second army.

By de way, I go with Seraphon :)

Any "buy list" I should care about? I have 200€, so any advise with this?

Assuming you have paints, tools, etc.

Start Collecting, Seraphon Book, Saurus Warriors, and Saurus Guard would keep you under budget.  If you want shooting, switch either the guard or warriors box for skinks.  If you immediately want another big creature, you could hold off on the book and get either a Bastilidon, Stegasaurus, or Ripperdactyls.  If you want to go over budget, get the start collecting and Thunderbeast Herd.

Get two start collecting kits. You can easily assemble the following models:

Carnosaur (with either Scar-Veteran or Oldblood rider)
Troglodon
Oldblood on foot (from the kit where you build the Troglodon instead of the Carnosaur)
Skink Priest (the Troglodon rider from the kit where you build the Carnosaur instead of the Troglodon -- it's believable enough)
24x Saurus Warriors
15x Saurus Knights
Saurus Scar Veteran on Cold One (one specific Knight build -- it's believable enough)

This can get you 1380 points (with the Oldblood on Carnosaur) or 1320 points (with the Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur), with 4x heroes and up to 5 Battleline. Best bang for your buck, if you ask me. Just 130 euros. You can then add on the Battletome for another 38 euros (if you like -- but you would really only need it for any battalions you would want to use), coming in well under budget.

Look into Aelves as well. I play Wanderers/Sylvaneth (they used to be one army before AoS) so I have two completely different types of models to paint. Some of the Dark Aelves have a Cthulu theme as well, with a bit more of a fanatic/priesty vibe. 

If Dark Aelves would have more chtulhish models I would be decided. 

But Seraphon got my heart. I would love to have a Bastilodon. Would be a good start 1 Bastilodon 1 start collecting and a Saurus warriors box? Maybe a skink priest too?

And how to assemble the Bastilodon? Ark of Sotek or Light Ray? lol

Thanks again wise mates :)

3 hours ago, Aebal said:

If Dark Aelves would have more chtulhish models I would be decided. 

But Seraphon got my heart. I would love to have a Bastilodon. Would be a good start 1 Bastilodon 1 start collecting and a Saurus warriors box? Maybe a skink priest too?

And how to assemble the Bastilodon? Ark of Sotek or Light Ray? lol

Thanks again wise mates :)

That would get you well over 1000 points.  Since the knights would count as core with the carnosaur, you could then have a big block of 30 warriors (pretty scary) or a block of 10 and one of 20.  You could save a few dollars (Euros) by making the skink priest from the carnosaur/troglodyte kit.  However, I do like the starpriest model.  If you forgo the Starpriest, you could use the money to scour ebay for 4 more warriors to take you to 40.

My son prefers the Solar Engine on the Bastiladon because it's searing light has a longer range.

I'm planning to order 1 starting collection box, 1 saurus warriors box, 1 bastilodon and 1 skink starpriest! I will update with photos when it arives me, but it will take some time... (I'm from Spain and I'm ordering from wayland games) so to keep talking...

Any advise to paint those lizards when they arrive? I want to paint them albinos. :)

Thanks all of you! 

Archived