Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

22 minutes ago, UpTown said:

Hello,

Starting a DoK army, and got two Blood Coven boxes in the mail. Aiming to build one with slaughter queen and one as a Bloodwrack Shrine. But what base sizes should I put the extra models on?
Slaughter queen 25mm?
Hag Queen 25mm?
Bloodwrack Medusa 40mm?

Many thanks in advance.

The official bases sizes are: Slaughter Queen/Hag Queen  on 25mm and Avatar/Medusa on 40mm.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about doing a Sideproject of 1k of DoK or maybe 1.5k.

I really like the snakes and I was very happy to see that they can be battleline but it requires a Medusa as General.  Are the Shrine  & Temple Nest box the only way to get one? (not sure if the Temple nest comes with discount)

3 hours ago, foxicious said:

Thank you for your detailed response Scythian. I've seen your awesome snake ladies and their battle reports before ?. They are one of the reasons why I want to include Blood Sisters into my army.

Well I'm probably far beyond this point, since I already chose the Daugthers ?. I don't consider costs or artistic capabilities to be a problem. I really enjoy painting those great models, even if they are a bit more tricky than lets say Stormcasts. From a style perspective I did make the decision that I wanted to field witches (basically the link to the past), but also some of the other great models, which is why I will probably end up with a mixed force.

However, since I don't have the possibility to playtest until my army is finished, my questions stem more from a gameplay perspective. Like I said before I really like the second set of models I posted, but I'm lacking the experience to evaluate how good this list is going to work. Since you already fielded  a single Medusa and a Bloodwrack Shrine:

Did you ever have the feeling you were missing the Cauldrons Blood Shield? How useful is it actually?

Would a single Medusa without Shrine be to squishy to act as a general?

If you play Hagg Nar temple, you won’t miss the Blood Shield at all. I’ve never needed it. My snakes are on the enemy so fast I rarely even have time to think about defense. The reason  I use a Bloodwrack Shrine is definitely due to the squishy nature of the Medusa on foot. 

4 minutes ago, Scythian said:

If you play Hagg Nar temple, you won’t miss the Blood Shield at all. I’ve never needed it. My snakes are on the enemy so fast I rarely even have time to think about defense. The reason  I use a Bloodwrack Shrine is definitely due to the squishy nature of the Medusa on foot. 

Ok. Thanks for the feedback. In this case I might be building a Bloodwrack Shrine first.

18 hours ago, syph0n said:

Are people using Doomfire Warlocks much? I really like the models and lore, and I'm tempted to build a 1k list around 2x5 units and the Melusai and Medusa. 

I tried out a squad of 5 yesterday, they are a bit of a jack-of-all-trades kind of unit. They are super fast so make decent objective grabbers, they have a good spell, they can shoot ok, and the rend on their scimitars is really useful. They are a bit fragile though, and their spell goes down to D3 damage with <5 models, so it feels like it's better to play them in a unit of 10 than 5.

I also made driders to use as Doomfire Warlocks. I used Grot Spire Rider mounts as their bodies, so they don't look as cool as the ones shown previously. I did elongate their necks and arms slightly to make them look weird and creepy.

Just regarding the changes to eth Hero Phase in Aos 2.0

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/18/18th-may-rules-preview-command-abilities-and-command-pointsgw-homepage-post-2/

Am I right in thinking that this will have a huge impact on DoK armies. I'm specifically thinking of Khailebron List with Morathi (but not as the General) now that they can benefit from both her command abilities and the Medusa's

I've not played with DoK yet (still building stuff) but AoS2 sounds like it will add more flexibility to an already fun army. Super excited about this update. 6 run and re-roll charges have a lot of utility with an army which needs to hit before it gets hit. 12"+2d6 with re-roll threat-range is pretty sweet. 

5 hours ago, zedatkinszed said:

Just regarding the changes to eth Hero Phase in Aos 2.0

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/18/18th-may-rules-preview-command-abilities-and-command-pointsgw-homepage-post-2/

Am I right in thinking that this will have a huge impact on DoK armies. I'm specifically thinking of Khailebron List with Morathi (but not as the General) now that they can benefit from both her command abilities and the Medusa's

Utilizing the new CP change for DoK command abilties is going to involve an entire new listbuilding paradigm on the simple basis of the non-slaughter queen command abilities having some fairly significant hoops associated with them.

Yes you can khailebron something forward and then hit it with Morathi's command ability, but that only matters to shooting units and only works if they're still within 14" of Morathi. I think the more important use is actually going to revolve around combo-ing 'At the double' And 'forward for victory' possibly alongside something like Steed of Shadows. An example would be to take a battalion and Haggnar and Set it up so that turn 1 you're protected by the haggnar shield and then turn two use 'forward for victory' 3 times and bury your opponent in attacks basically out of nowhere.

There's some interesting gimmicks you could probably pull with morathi and this rule(it makes 'transform turn 2' type list more viable for sure) but ultimately I think it's going to be the new game-wide command abilities that make the biggest change to the army.

I'm wondering how important it will be to have more than one command point per turn if you aren't playing Morathi. The Slaughter Queen's Command ability is powerful but very narrow, and is unlikely to be needed on your first turn, whilst Inspiring Presence is now a panic button you don't need to use every turn. Which means that you can parably make use of At the Double or Forward to Victory even without a battalion.

So, just weighing up options here. Do I want to put in two units of Lifetakers (requiring me to reduce the size of my Blood Sisters or Warlock unit) to get that +1 command point and extra relic?

Hey Crew, just returned from the Armed Forces Day Tournament, 32 players, 2k lists.  The snakes were incredible once again! I played against a Changehost, Stormcast Eternals, and Idoneth Deepkin. Snakes took the victory in all three games. Changehost was a pain in the rear, but I got him in the end. The Stormcast were tabled and his stardrake was butchered in turn one by my Blood Sisters. This poor Stormcast guy got brutalized by my girls. Great guy though, and we had a few laughs. Idoneth were annoying, but they got savaged by my Blood Sisters. I came in third overall with only 4 of us going undefeated. I did not lose ONE unit of Snakes in any of the games. Only Heartrenders died but they did their job. Overall, Hagg  temple abilities made all the difference. The durability of the Bloodwrack Shrine was exactly what I needed to keep my general alive and pumping out that 7” Faith save of 5+. Nothing disappointed me in any of the games. Blood Sisters were just beasts! 

1 hour ago, Scythian said:

Hey Crew, just returned from the Armed Forces Day Tournament, 32 players, 2k lists.  The snakes were incredible once again! I played against a Changehost, Stormcast Eternals, and Idoneth Deepkin. Snakes took the victory in all three games. Changehost was a pain in the rear, but I got him in the end. The Stormcast were tabled and his stardrake was butchered in turn one by my Blood Sisters. This poor Stormcast guy got brutalized by my girls. Great guy though, and we had a few laughs. Idoneth were annoying, but they got savaged by my Blood Sisters. I came in third overall with only 4 of us going undefeated. I did not lose ONE unit of Snakes in any of the games. Only Heartrenders died but they did their job. Overall, Hagg  temple abilities made all the difference. The durability of the Bloodwrack Shrine was exactly what I needed to keep my general alive and pumping out that 7” Faith save of 5+. Nothing disappointed me in any of the games. Blood Sisters were just beasts! 

Great to hear!  I love the singular focus of your list.  Have you played Fyreslayers with it by any chance?  I'm interested in how quickly a max unit of blood sisters can take down a block of vulkites.  

7 hours ago, Richelieu said:

Great to hear!  I love the singular focus of your list.  Have you played Fyreslayers with it by any chance?  I'm interested in how quickly a max unit of blood sisters can take down a block of vulkites.  

Yes, I played Fyreslayers at Adepticon. Blood Sisters mauled them pretty bad as I recall. He tried to tunnel up on me, but my snakes just wiped out the entire unit. Richelieu, people honestly just don’t know what Blood Sisters can do until they face them. The shear brutality of their combat phase leaves players stunned. The poor guy playing the Stardrake yesterday just couldn’t believe how his model dropped so quickly. When I tabled him, he was truly dejected. He told me flat out he had no idea how nasty the snakes could be. 

48 minutes ago, Scythian said:

Yes, I played Fyreslayers at Adepticon. Blood Sisters mauled them pretty bad as I recall. He tried to tunnel up on me, but my snakes just wiped out the entire unit. Richelieu, people honestly just don’t know what Blood Sisters can do until they face them. The shear brutality of their combat phase leaves players stunned. The poor guy playing the Stardrake yesterday just couldn’t believe how his model dropped so quickly. When I tabled him, he was truly dejected. He told me flat out he had no idea how nasty the snakes could be. 

I take it you had mind razor+ witch brew+catechism of murder up on them to be able to drop that Drake in one turn?  Either that or he didn't get Warding lantern up on it?  

Hey there folks!  Haven't played in a month or so but glad to see this thread is still very active.  @Scythian I appreciate your battle report results, as I am running primarily a snake army.  Got a battle coming up against my friend.  Most likely Maggotkin but he will soon be returning to his Nighthaunt with the releases in June.  This list I suppose is me getting ready for 2nd Ed with a bunch of heroes everywhere, but mainly to be able to use Witchbrew or Inspiring Presence on nearly every unit I have.  When you fight lots of enemies with Bravery 10, not losing any units to battleshock becomes very important. 

Trying Hagg Nar again.  I would put my Bloodwrack on a shrine but I currently do not have it built.  I was going to try out Pit of Shades vs my friend's blob of 30 Plaguebearers.  I want to soften it up as much as I can before I try to murder them with my blood sisters.  With that in mind I may swap out the Crystal Heart for the Shadow Stone.  I also threw the Gryph-Hound in there because I had 70 pts left and wanted to try to counter some deep strike shenanigans.

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar

Leaders
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Desciples
- Artefact: Crystal Heart
- Lore of Shadows: Pit of Shades
Slaughter Queen (100)
- Prayer: Martyr's Sacrifice
Hag Queen (60)
- Artefact: Iron Circlet
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder

Battleline
10 x Blood Sisters (280)
5 x Blood Sisters (140)

Units
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
- Allies

Battalions
Temple Nest (80)

Total: 1220 / 1250
Allies: 40 / 200
Wounds: 74

This is a WIP, but here is my Snake Slaughter Queen.  Pretty simple conversion with lots of pinning, but both swords are from the Dark Elf Executioner sprue.

Comments and criticisms welcome!

Slaughter Queen 1.jpg

Slaughter Queen 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Scythian said:

I had witchbrew and mindrazor on my girls. I got him with 6 mortals from the crystal attacks, regular attacks did the rest. 

Yeah, I'm not aware of any other unit in the game that can put out that volume of -2 rend attacks.  Attacking a warding lantern, staunch defender start Drake with -1 rend attacks ends up net healing it and most rend two attacks don't have the volume to deal substantial damage.

21 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Yeah, I'm not aware of any other unit in the game that can put out that volume of -2 rend attacks.  Attacking a warding lantern, staunch defender start Drake with -1 rend attacks ends up net healing it and most rend two attacks don't have the volume to deal substantial damage.

He was stunned when that thing dropped. I mean no joke, he really couldn’t believe he lost him that quick, lol. 

47 minutes ago, DJMoose said:

Hey there folks!  Haven't played in a month or so but glad to see this thread is still very active.  @Scythian I appreciate your battle report results, as I am running primarily a snake army.  Got a battle coming up against my friend.  Most likely Maggotkin but he will soon be returning to his Nighthaunt with the releases in June.  This list I suppose is me getting ready for 2nd Ed with a bunch of heroes everywhere, but mainly to be able to use Witchbrew or Inspiring Presence on nearly every unit I have.  When you fight lots of enemies with Bravery 10, not losing any units to battleshock becomes very important. 

Trying Hagg Nar again.  I would put my Bloodwrack on a shrine but I currently do not have it built.  I was going to try out Pit of Shades vs my friend's blob of 30 Plaguebearers.  I want to soften it up as much as I can before I try to murder them with my blood sisters.  With that in mind I may swap out the Crystal Heart for the Shadow Stone.  I also threw the Gryph-Hound in there because I had 70 pts left and wanted to try to counter some deep strike shenanigans.

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar

Leaders
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Desciples
- Artefact: Crystal Heart
- Lore of Shadows: Pit of Shades
Slaughter Queen (100)
- Prayer: Martyr's Sacrifice
Hag Queen (60)
- Artefact: Iron Circlet
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder

Battleline
10 x Blood Sisters (280)
5 x Blood Sisters (140)

Units
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
- Allies

Battalions
Temple Nest (80)

Total: 1220 / 1250
Allies: 40 / 200
Wounds: 74

This is a WIP, but here is my Snake Slaughter Queen.  Pretty simple conversion with lots of pinning, but both swords are from the Dark Elf Executioner sprue.

Comments and criticisms welcome!

Slaughter Queen 1.jpg

Slaughter Queen 2.jpg

That snake slaughter queen looks sweet! Keep up the conversions!

Lookout Sir rule is huge for DoK :)

I think all changes we have seen are amazing for us, re rolls of charges, ability to use Morathi CA, look out sir for extra protection for Morathi, Hag Queens, Avatars and Cauldrons. 

Possibly rolling for first turn. 

I also killed a Stardrake! I thought it would destroy me, and to be fair, it did kill my Cauldron of Blood in a single turn. But combo of 5 Blood Sisters and an Avatar of Khaine took it out over two turns. He was so focused on trying to kill the Avatar that the little unit of 5 Blood Sisters got away with murder (teehee)! I am definitely getting more of them as my next purchase.

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

Lookout Sir rule is huge for DoK :)

I think all changes we have seen are amazing for us, re rolls of charges, ability to use Morathi CA, look out sir for extra protection for Morathi, Hag Queens, Avatars and Cauldrons. 

Possibly rolling for first turn. 

Khailebron characters will have a -2 to hit from shooting.  That is amazing survivability.  I was happy to see that Medusas are not considered Monsters either.

Being able to keep my Medusa my general for battleline Blood Sisters, and then potentially being able to utilize the Orgy of Slaughter ability on a Slaughter Queen is amazing.  I wonder if they will add a caveat for command abilities that state "If this hero is your general" will still be usable. 

That certainly seems to be the intent.

2 hours ago, Scythian said:

That snake slaughter queen looks sweet! Keep up the conversions!

Thank you, sir!

Archived