What's effective against a celestant on stardrake?

Salarath

Hi all,

Played my third ever tournament at Bristol Smash last week, good fun! I for the first time took a strong list and enjoyed close competition in all of my games. One match where I struggled was against a celestant on star drake, as I didn't really have the mortal wound output. I was considering trying to squeeze in a thundertusk but I don't think this is very effective unless there are multiples because a couple of wounds off makes them a lot worse. Any particularly good ideas?

Many thanks

I've had trouble with it as well. My plan would be to take some Spear Chukkas, snipe the heroes who are buffing the Stardrake, then snipe the Stardrake while locking it up with something with staying power. 

The Stardrake doesn't have a huge damage output, if you know what to confront it with. I'd go double Chukkas and tied it up with a Rogue Idol or something like that.

Big monster re-rolling some of its saves?  Sounds like a job for Da Monsta Mashas!

I would throw Ironjawz Brute Squads at it.  My Brute Bosses with the Claw and Smasha do incredible work against big nasty monsters, consistently.  If they can make into melee, the target will go down.  Warchanter for extra +1 To Hit will help the rest of the Brutes tear through it.

Just bring your biggest beast around ans spash the dragon.

Stardrakes are notoriously soft on big solo targets. A single 280 worth bloodthirster can bring him down with a wave of hand. Not even talking of what a Stonehorn can do.

21 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Just bring your biggest beast around ans spash the dragon.

Stardrakes are notoriously soft on big solo targets. A single 280 worth bloodthirster can bring him down with a wave of hand. Not even talking of what a Stonehorn can do.

I forgot to mention it, but Kozokus is right

What make the stardrake ""dangerous"" (not pitifuly weak and garbage would be a better statement) is his ability to devour models under 6 wound and his tail wip.

Those two abilities doesn't work against a single target. Send one of your maw crusha and the problem will be solved. I'm pretty sure even a megaboss could emerge victorious. A very defensive stardrake (with staunch defender, drakescale armor and a castellant) will be able to survive for eternity (1+ reroll 1 and -1 to hit him in close combat) but will not pose a very credible threat. So at worst, it's a draw, except your model is 2/3 time cheaper than the stardrake

The other time my stardrake was absolutly crushed was against a mob of 20+ Bloodletters.

1-2 wounds models that can reliably deal Mortal wounds in close combat are unbeatable for him.

Edit : that beeing said, i ATE ALIVE his precious banner of repop. mwaahahahah.

i put 2 stonehorns into it at the tournament and only killed it with my moonclan grot arcane bolting it twice. With a lantern on it it was gaining wounds back and dealing wounds to my stonehorns. I guess I need thundertusks anyway?

Thanks for all the feedback!

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@BunkhouseBuster - You don't usually get that much mileage out of Brutes due to the Stardrake's Cavernous Jaws being able to pick out your Boss and Gore-Choppas (granted if it's the Big Boss from a Battalion this is less likely).

Oh yeah, I forgot it has that ability.  In that case, I would throw my Megaboss in the fight as well to help soften it up.  That, or send my Gargant after it and hope for good rolls on its random-factor.

I'm really handicapped on models to use, lol.

Archived