Waaagh? WAAAAAAAGH!!

Uruk_Guy

Hey gang, I'm back with a new project! I tried my hand at some Stormcast , but they just didn't have that green skinned appeal I've loved since I painted my first plastic Kev Adams orc almost twenty years ago.

Ive been admiring the Weirdnob Shaman from afar since it came out, so once I'd settled on Ironjawz he was an obvious choice for first mini.  Pretty happy with the results, can't wait to get cracking on this box of brutes I just bought.

I've even cooked up a little short story for him.  If reading about psychodelic orky vision quests isn't your cup of tea,  just skip on down to the pictures at the bottom.  Otherwise, enjoy a sneaky peek at Wurrgrim the shaman's first steps into a larger world!

Spoiler

Wurrgrim's life began in the usual fashion, one of the multitude of orruk youngsters who inevitably show up to bolster the numbers of the greenskin tribes of Ghur.  It didn't take long before he developed a reputation as a odd 'un.  Strange muscle ticks, a headache-born aversion to the camp yard brawls and snore-punctuated jibbering in his sleep caused the other orruks to scowl and spit "weird yoof" when they saw him.  It came as no surprise to anyone but Wurrgrim when the incontinent old great shaman Krockjaw announced he'd be training the young orruk in the ways of da godz.

Wrapped in filthy robes and brought to the ramshackle shaman hut on the outskirts of the camp, Wurrgrim sat sullenly on a splintery stool as Krockjaw capered and chanted before a cauldron made from a cygor's skull.

"Da godz got a plan fer you!" the shaman croaked as he emptied a cloudy jar of spider eyes into the evil smelling brew. "Fungus slime, gargant drool, stir with a fimir femur..." Krockjaw cackled and continued his knock-knee'd dance under the baleful glare of tribal totems.  Spinning around under hanging fetishes and trinkets, the old shaman stopped before a rickety cage and produced a bewildered looking squig from within. Holding the squirming beast aloft above the bubbling cauldron before plunging its face inches from the steaming brew, Krockjaw wailed and squeezed the squig savagely.  With bulging eyes the scaly creature vomited chunky green bile into the cauldron

Wurrgrim's eyes widened as green smog erupted from the skull-cauldron. Krockjaw threw his arms up and shook his bony hips in triumph before fanning the vapors towards Wurrgrim's face. Head swimming as he choked on the psychotropic fumes, all Wurrgrim could hear was the shaman's laughter as his vision went green and he fell to the hut's filthy floor.

With a gasp Wurrgrim realized that he was standing atop a vast plateau above a sprawling plain that both was and wasn't the familiar hinterlands of Ghur.  Though some landmarks seemed vaguely familiar, the details were all wrong and everything was tinged a shade of green.  Though Wurrgrim could feel no wind, the trees swayed and their branches lashed out as if they were squabbling amongst themselves.  Boulders rolled of their own accord, toppling over the side of the plateau to crash wetly into an unending stampede of squealing gore gruntas and boars trampling into the horizon under the grinning face of an evil looking sun.

Bizarrely, a hag faced moon hung in another part of the sky, jeering and cursing just out of reach of the flailing legs and shooting webs of a titanic spider.  A colossal bull moved ponderously through a raging battle at it's feet, taking vast mouthfuls of screaming warriors up and chewing like a cow at pasture.  He felt the belligerent fighting spirit of the place and made a fist, shocked to find it glowing green and ethereal.

"Da spirit realm of Gorkamorka." A familiar voice croaked from behind him.  Wurrgrim spun to find the ghostly visage of Krockjaw's spirit form, dancing more nimbly than his ancient physical body could manage. "Now you'll know da signs when you see 'em!  In da snorts of da boarz and in da crunch of battle you'll hear da voices of da godz!"  Krockjaw continued his mad dance.  Wurrgrim grimaced as he realized his mentor was about to sing.

Suddenly two monumental orruk figures loomed up over the ledge of the plateau, dominating the skyline above the shamans.

"KROCKJAW!" Boomed a voice that cracked the sky, chased away the sun and moon, scattered trees, boulders and boars, and detonated Krockjaw's head in a splatter of ectoplasmic gore. 

"Whoops!"  A fingernail the size of a tree prodded the headless remains of the shaman's spirit form as it disintegrated into the landscape.  "Er, Wurrgrim, you'll do."  

Wurrgrim's mind was pummeled with visions, a prophetic beat down of disjointed sights and sensations.

*A mega boss in yellow bellowing the call to Waaagh! throughout the realms.*
*The sensation of flying*
*Shockingly sober looking gargants helping humans build a kingdom in the clouds.*
*A vast cavern of mushrooms.*
*Chaos coming to the realms.*
*The sensation of falling.*
*A mega boss in blue-gray crashes through a castle roof, landing before a ruined throne.*
*Shifty looking grots.*
*A human king laughing madly through broken teeth as he smashes his own face with a jeweled scepter.*
*Crazed normal gargants rampaging through a land their forefathers built.*

Wurrgrim couldn't take it anymore. "Gork!  Mork!  What's it all mean though?!"  Suddenly the visions ended and the new shaman found himself under the glare of two ancient gods.  Wurrgrim's vision went green again as the words thundered through his mind.

"Bring da king to da Big Waaagh!."

Wurrgrim snapped back to reality amidst the ruined wreckage of the shaman hut.  Staggering to the ragged hole where the door had been he surveyed the blasted and flattened camp.  It was as if raw waaagh! energy had flowed out over the camp, sending the tribe into a crazed frenzy, fighting each other and imagined enemies.  No living orruks could be seen in the smouldering ruins, though corpses of those whose heads had exploded littered the ground.  A furious looking squig wearing Warboss Krumpa's helmet was stomping around the demolished boss hut.  Wurrgrim turned to leave, grabbing Krockjaw's staff from the floor by the headless corpse.  

The half-remembered and dreamlike qualities of the visions lent a strange significance to the night.  Under a crescent moon, Wurrgrim set off in the direction the trees seemed to be shoving at each other.  Beyond the trees loomed the crags of Mount Moonglum. Maybe the mad Fungus-Priests of the Moonclan grotz could help make sense of the visions.  

IMG_0650.JPG.24c51d63df43d36ff7d5bcb6387e240d.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG.1cec856096d2c29bb861d388ed80d328.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished up my first brute today!  Also did the base for Weirdnob Wurrgrim.  I like the contrast of the flowers and the brutish orruks.  These boyz aren't hanging around a beaten up wasteland, they're out wreaking havoc in more civilized lands.

No fluff bits for this guy, though I have named their warband the Cloud Toof Tribe.  I imagine their homeland having lots of Jack in the Beanstalk-esque landscapes floating up amidst the clouds.

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

The Cloud Toof Tribe grows!   Finished up painting on my first Gore-Choppa today, just gotta flock and flower the base to match the others.  Still love the way these guys are turning out, and super pumped to get the last three dudes done for my first Brute squad!

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

Ugh and now I realize his shoulder pads are upside down and on the wrong arms!  Just ripped them off and fixed it.

• 5 weeks later...

And with glacial speed another Cloud Toof boy joins the gang!  Still love these brute models, but these big metal tusk bitz on their chest armor sure make it hard to get a picture at their faces.  

Snagged up a start collecting box the other day, and I've built five 'ardboyz and the last brute.  I think once I get all those painted up I'll take them to the flgs and see if I can give this Age of Sigmar skirmish a shot.  It'd be my first real game in ten years.

IMG_0688.JPG

And the first mob of brutes is done!  Got this little dude about 90% done a few weeks back, finally had time to finish him up today!

image.jpeg.ca9e9233fccc755bd31b03dbda3e89c3.jpeg

And an army shot of the whole Cloud Toof tribe so far!  WAAAAAGH!

image.jpeg.36efd68c6e2dc025abc77af212c81fe1.jpeg

And a little side by side comparison with the very first Orc i painted about 20 years ago!

image.jpeg.c55f8fd65abb97864fe33a14c34d424d.jpeg

Next up: 'Ard Boyz!

Hey thanks for the replies!  I really do appreciate feedback, as I really don't have any gamer friends at the moment.

@Kramer It was a real shocker for me when I realized I still had that old Kev Adams orc.  He's made it with me for two thirds of my life, three US states and probably about ten apartment basically without me realizing!  Once I saw him in that bitz box I knew I just had to do a comparison shot.

@Tzaangor Management  Glad to see the flowery bases jive with people other than myself.   I really wanted a contrast between the brutish orruks and the more idyllic bases.  These boyz are out rampaging across softer lands.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my practice 'ard boy!  I've seen a lot of people mention they didn't like putting these guys together or painting them, but I liked it a lot!  Maybe it's all the plastic multipart ork/orc boyz I've painted over the years, but this guy was a breeze.IMG_0759.JPG.2fb3cad31386a0b867d0b573e68f93f4.JPG

I've since finished the base and added a Reichland Flesh Shade wash to the red straps and details as they looked a little pink.

IMG_0760.JPG.d9548011def95dd19d7b4097326ce330.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG.5c9146089e54c3d5fa23061a638aafd8.JPG

I'm putting all these flat armored surfaces to good use by practicing my checkerboard freehand.  I've got four more of these bad mamma jammas to paint up, updates soon!

Hey thanks for the replies everyone!

@Tzaangor Management and @Soulsmith :  Glad you guys like my basing!  I've since flocked and flowered it up to match the brutes, but it's nice to show off what they look like under all that foliage.  The flowers come premade in a pack I bought at a model railroad store, I'll have to look the brand name up when I get home. I think if I have time this weekend I'll try to cook up a little step by step tutorial on how I make my bases.  I know @Chillpill had a post about basing too the other day, and I'm always happy to share techniques.

@Chris Tomlin thanks for the kind words!  I'm a big fan of your army and your podcast so it means a lot to me.  Once I finished up this start collecting box I think my next project will be a Megaboss on mawkrusha, hopefully I can make him as characterful as the mighty Krunk!

@Uruk_Guy - No worries man, they are all well deserved. It's a lovely looking army you've got coming along. Glad you like the podcast, thanks for listening :) 

Haha I do get proper enjoyment out of Krunk and his renown! At this point he's a bigger point of interest than myself!

What colour scheme do you have in mind for your Maw-Krusha?

At the moment I'm leaning towards an orange-skinned krusha, to compliment the blue-grey armor of the Cloud Toof Tribe.  Still got a ways to go before I decide, as I've got an entire start collecting box minus one dude left to paint before I can start!

It's actually a lot closer to the contents of the Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband which I'm *cough cough* not at all bitter about them releasing immediately after I'd already spent more on just the Weirdnob and brutes singly.  You could combine it with the start collecting box to get a cool little army going at a reasonable price though!

And I'm glad you liked my story!  I'll try to cook up another one between now and the time I buy, assemble, magnatize, convert and paint the prophesied goal of Wurrgrim's quest:  King Krool, despot of the gargant court!

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:19 AM, Uruk_Guy said:

At the moment I'm leaning towards an orange-skinned krusha, to compliment the blue-grey armor of the Cloud Toof Tribe.  Still got a ways to go before I decide, as I've got an entire start collecting box minus one dude left to paint before I can start!

Sounds great!

• 2 weeks later...

Better late than never I'm back with a base tutorial!  Also been messing around trying to create a light box for photography.  I think I need to buy more lamps!

The core of almost all the bases I do is this cork board and sand style.  I change up the flocking and scenic elements to suit the army I'm working on at the time.  You can see it with dead, yellow static grass and uncooked rice painted up like maggots on the bases of my 40k Death Guard splinter warband, The Pandemic Brethren.  My orruks, however needed a less tainted landscape to exist in, so I just started throwing flock from countless past abandoned projects to create idyllic stoney meadow bases.  

Materials used for my bases:

12"x12"x3/16" cork board tiles.

Mixed coarse and fine sand.

Woodland Scenics  blended turf (green), bushes (medium green), and harvest gold static grass.  The yellow and green meadow flower flock comes from them too I think.

GW's green static grass.

JTT Scenery Products assorted flower plants and grass tufts.

image.jpeg.ae934220a0cc49adf1360c1ec719f82e.jpegimage.jpeg.ebc1b41d9bc7807561da3e657807c7df.jpeg

First I take my cork board and tear off a piece that roughly fits on a base.  With an X-acto knife I shape the edges and carve rocky little crevasses into the cork.   Any spots around the edges that the cork didn't cover got covered in sand.

image.jpeg.5e0e4975141afe95256735f2dd77f031.jpeg

Next up I base coat the sand with Vallejo burnt umber, and drybrush flat earth over the tops.

image.jpeg.ff4e4009ae3757aa32f0dcaec566b598.jpeg

image.jpeg.1a4007820c87235b24af2e5ae02d3121.jpeg

Next up another dry brush of Vallejo London grey followed by light grey, mostly targeting the cork but without trying to hard to avoid the sand.

image.jpeg.a352b736ea10c3268927f34e21d81f8a.jpeg

Now we start applying our outrageous amounts of flocking!

image.jpeg.13738d1a9d45c38e6886fe346e4ba3af.jpegimage.jpeg.26698e25e4fa7de0d03ce2ce1e2347d8.jpegimage.jpeg.12b9769530699e2c5aeb48a2aa1ba17e.jpeg

I start with the bushes, ripping them into manageable sized chunks. Some blended turf next around the edges of the bushes, followed by the yellow and green meadow flower flock here and there where I thought it'd look nice.  Finally I drilled a hole through the cork and base to insert the big red flower.  I decided against the tuft, as I don't always combine every material on each infantry base.  Spread out through the whole unit however, it makes for a very bio diverse landscape, like a real untamed meadow.

Archived