Sisters of Sigmar - REBORN!

Payce

Let's try one of these plog things. Mainly because I have 13 weeks to paint myself an entire Stormcast Eternals army - the magic number being 43 models for the list I plan to use - from scratch, to use in an upcoming tournament. I've had the models and bits for it lying around for a while, since, well... when the game launched, everyone sort of bought the box and I had this really awesome conversion idea for them. But then I did something else instead, and they started gathering dust, until just this week.

My core idea is to make an army based on two things - the classic Sisters of Sigmar from Mordheim (I'm sure in some pocket realm or other, Bertha Bestraufrung is wreaking havoc upon Sigmar's enemies) updated to look like the crusader from Diablo. You know, this here crafty ol' gal:

nhS0BkG.jpg

SO I set out looking for bits to make it possible, and it's not really such a big burden once you let go from the mind to sculpt a tabard onto every single one. With flails from the Chaos Marauders and Deathwing Terminators, Heroic Scale heads from Statuesque Miniatures and a healthy amount of jewellery chain, plastic rod, thin wire and greenstuff, it was a surprisingly easy procedure.

First, fill in the chain loincloth with putty, greenstuff, liquid greenstuff, a file, sandpaper, a combination of several of these things, you name it - the trick is to make it smooth like cloth. Then fill the "head hole" up at the top with greenstuff, smoothen it and pin in place the head. Then swap the weapon heads, and that's pretty much it. The result looks a little bit like this here:

Hhy4DWN.jpg

qRpHUlf.jpg

The reason they're on square bases is purely for the sake of painting - they will find there way, once painted, onto these here babies:

XHCA5lE.jpg

The new snow texture paint from Citadel Texture is the craft of Sigmar's Godlike hands, by the way.

The plan for this weekend is to model up and prime as much as possible of ten Paladin Protectors, and two Dracoth babes. Then over the next week, to get painting on this unit, and have them done by the end of the week. Will it succeed? Who knows, but I'll try and keep this thing updated as much as possible in an attempt to force myself to work at a steady pa(y)ce.

And remember, purity through castigation is the purest of purities. Blessed be Sigmar.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only a brief update today; the Liberators are all spray primed black and ready for paint, and I had some time in between playing with my son to finish the first of two Lady-Celestants on Dracoths; this is Sister Agatha. Her favourite pastimes are cozying up with a tome before the fireplace, long walks in the ash of your village during sunset, and destroying your heretical beliefs.

OPG2Mn9.jpg

acg8YwM.jpg

1 hour ago, AlexHarrison said:

Awesome, looking forwards to more. Will they be painted black like the image posted above?

They will be predominantly black and gold, yes. I won't be highlighting the black with gold like the crusader, but a classic grey, and instead use a warm gold on spots like shoulders, belt buckles and similar detail. The idea is to have a very dark model give the impression of light with light details like the pale skin, blonde hair, white tabard.

Some quick math also suggest I need to paint 3,3 models per week to reach my goal. Since those point three can be pesky, I'll be aiming for a whole squad of five each week, with characters in between. Should give me some buffer space for time.

And remember, purity is the solace of the devoted.

3 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Might wanna look up pictures of women in armour, Bosmer. Boobplates don't exist, they're a shot-trap for the sternum.

QFT. Female armor needs to be made differently, yes, but the differences are mostly internal (ie. padding to make room for the ****** while keeping the outside of the armor nice and smooth). Basically, you don't want anything that might give a blow a place to catch - armor works as much by deflecting force away from the body as it does by being hard. Honestly, even pec armor is pretty dumb. Realistic male armor hasn't got pecs, either. It's smooth and slightly exaggeratedly bowed out in the middle, like a fish or bird's chest.

During development of this army, I did actually consider "tit plates", but eventually opted against it. My original plan was to use greenstuff to prolong the tabard across the chestplate (think Black Templars), with feminine shapes underneath. Looking closely at the reference picture of the crusader, though, she is actually flat-chested, which truth be told is a very natural appearance for women with the physique these warriors would have.

As for the male appearance, I did ponder that for a while. Given their zeal and fanaticism to Sigmar though, in my mind they are wearing their armour in his image. They're women, it's armour - it doesn't have to be feminine.

Love it! The crusader is my favourite class in d3. My suggestion would be to shave down the bottom of the breastplate. It seems to splay outwards a bit above the muscles, making it push outwards and look more masculine. If you shave that down so it was a very thin line between the breastplate and abs that may look more lithe and feminine.

Also no boob plate. They're horrific. I remember a space marine chapter of all women (don't get me started on the lorewise, nothing against women and all that) but they had big ole breastplates and it looked atrocious.

9 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

You guys should check out Space Crusaders for a lesson in how not to do female miniatures in the extreme. :P

Why does the armour have a cleavage hole? It's only on the ****** anyway!

What's wrong with people. It's like Kingdom: Death. Game seems fun, miniatures make me cringe.

You guys responding in the negative to tit plates are completely missing the point. No, it's not realistic or practical. But neither is the generic stormcast armour as it is.

The stormcast's armour is two sculpted pecs and a six pack, thereby imitating the naked male form.

Since that is the standard being set here, the tit plates should also be a default. Otherwise you have females in male physique body armour.

Which you might have realised if you weren't so busy straw-manning me into the whole skimpy female fantasy armour trope.

Actually, I listed my reasoning for skipping tit plates as them wearing their armour in the image of their deity, and that the female physique of women with the muscular build one can expect these warriors to have, to often be flat-chested. Straw-manning anyone had nothing to do with it.

However, I do stand by that it doesn't have to be feminine just because it's female. A six-pack certainly isn't a universal male trait, just look at the Polish UFC girls. The female fantasy trope certainly is something I wanted to avoid for THIS project, but it had nothing to do with your post, and everything to do with how I see these girls in my own creative vision.

21 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

@Payce have you got any painted up? I'd like to take a look. 

I think you've gone the right way conversion wise. 

Not yet, yesterday was a dreadfully long day at work so only got the steel done, as well as beginning the leather. Planning to do some.more tonight and upload some WIPs!

Yeah once again the six pack reference wasn't to define gender, just to point out that the stormcast armour is meant to resemble a naked form.

Given that it's a naked male form being depicted overall then thought needs to be given to what you do if you're making these female.

The OP has considered that and decided to go with it anyway. That's fair enough.

Some other responses have just taken to straw manning.

13 minutes ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

Some other responses have just taken to straw manning.

Maybe not straw manning? Perhaps just... misunderstanding?

I, for one, didn't really think I was arguing against anything. I just like to talk about medieval armor and physics. What can I say...? I'm a nerd. Personally, I'm really sorry if you felt attacked by my post, but in my case, it wasn't about you. It was just about how awesome it is that people with a rudimentary understanding of physics were able to create what was - for the intents and purposes of their time period - a force field!

Archived