If you go down to the woods today...

HadrielCaine

So after painting nominations at both Clash and Realms at War as well as playing in some awesome games I'm feeling pretty amped up about hobby at the moment. 

The release of the new Blood Bowl set has been something I've been really looking forward to, despite never playing it back in the day. I'm a fan of the NFL and also find I go in phases of not having huge amounts of time for games due to work time constraints. As a result quick games with fewer models and paraphernalia to transport really appeals. I really hope GW revisit Mordheim and Necromunda one fine day...

I know this is an AoS focussed forum and I'll be posting elsewhere too. But since my main team is going to be Wood Elves I thought the conversions and commentary might be interesting here too! And it is fantasy on round bases...

Let's play a game of name the parts, comment below and see if you can name everything I've used!

It all started out with a concept for Linemen:

CynU0RqWgAAXAvb.jpg

I then tinkered about with a Thrower:

CynXhLjWIAAt4Gw.jpg

And a couple of Wardancers:

CynYMF2XAAACS2h.jpg

CynYMFcXAAAWjD8.jpg

CynZ2BAXUAAe9uY.jpg

More Linemen followed:

CyosoaXWIAAU11S.jpg

CyosoaTW8AASUyU.jpg

CzCvJimW8AAo1NR.jpg

At this point I decided to crack out some Liquid Green stuff (and some regular GS too actually)

CyorFC0XAAAdEIe.jpg

But a team also needs catchers:

CzCuSS7XAAEeJpp.jpg

CzCuST5XcAEId-e.jpg

CzCuSVzWEAAcuGd.jpg

and a second Thrower:

CzCvJfRWQAATMFn.jpg

CzCvJgjW8AYI0aG.jpg

Wood Elves can also opt to take a treeman (they lack somewhat in strength otherwise). In the 1990s this was the same size as the WHFB treeman, but that was on a 40mm base. Not the humongous one we have for AoS today. So I thought I'd make one appropriate to that- I can always make a larger one or buy one when GW do an elf team!

CzCu36oWEAArTVe.jpg

Finally behind every good team is a good coach! So here's my head coach:

CzCu3-CXUAAdoNU.jpg

CzCu4ATWQAAufER.jpg

Here's the whole team together:

CzCv4cbWQAA6Ymy.jpg

and a coin for the coin-toss to start the game:

CzCvWbGXEAEBp_n.jpg

Phew! Time to bend the treeman's fingers around the ball properly now the GS has set... and get the whole lot primed!

Thoughts, questions, part break down guesses below please!

A

also go to Hard6.co.uk to find out how my first game of BloodBowl went with @jay6

On 12/4/2016 at 3:41 PM, harrocks said:

really cool 'painterly' style - by which I mean your 'skin' reminds me of something like Frazetta's oil-paintings.

they really look great en masse on the table - where your use of clump foliage etc, is seen to advantage.

Thanks! I've been referred to as painterly before, but not for years :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks @harrocks I've been so busy with work... but I managed to get some hobby done over Christmas hols:

C0uZYiyXEAABRLf.jpg

C1HtAXbXEAAV__N.jpg

Four down, eight to go! I'm enjoying BloodBowl painting. Its nice to spend time on single miniatures when there isn't a whole army to paint. Speaking of which:

Its Sylvaneth time!

C2ahma3XgAAsYFt.jpg

C2ahmclXcAEDcbr.jpg

C2ahma3XcAEhl42.jpg

C2ahmclXEAAa00w.jpg

I've got a new list which I talk about in episode 32 of hard6.co.uk podcast with @Uberjay

It involves 9 Kurnoth Hunters so I thought I'd best make a start building them. I'm running 6 with Greatbows and 3 with Great swords. I really liked the aesthetic of the Tree Revenants and Drycha and thought it'd be cool to carry over onto the Bigger guys too.

I have a question for you all:

Should I keep the elf spirit conversion only for the Huntmasters, so that they stand out, or apply to the whole unit?

Let me know what you think.

As to the conversion the sword arm was snapped in half and I used a lot of GS to reposition it. The sword was given a longer hilt from a spare Kurnoth Hunter scythe weapon and the left hand is transplanted from the Spite Revenants, I built mine as Tree revenants for Battleline :)

The elf section is built using the torso from a doomfire warlock, I added a spite revenant head and the mohawk is from a 40k harlequin. Hopefully it makes sense that a wardancer spirit is inside the combat unit!

Thanks

A.

Really nice conversion work, very original and finished with some great painting :)

For what it's worth I'd do the elf spirit conversion on all the hunters, I don't think they'd quite look like a coherent unit otherwise. Maybe limit the mohawk to the champs to help them stand out a bit more?

So its been a relatively productive week, largely because I've got an infected tooth... and as such not much work has happened.

I finished off my first Kurnoth Hunter

C3B3HCDWEAAzKhh.jpg

C3B3HHqWEAI5-7G.jpg

and built/ primed the first one with a Greatbow

C2ykYajWEAA-mFv.jpg

C3Cq3oxXUAEZ65V.jpg

I also got my delivery from counterattackbases.co.uk who sponsor the Hard6.co.uk podcast

2 wildwoods:

C3B3WGfXAAA-BSx.jpg

and some custom range finders for me and @Uberjay

C3B94J0WIAQerDD.jpg

I've got to decide if I've got time to do outlandish conversions for my sisters of the thorn in time for Sheffield Slaughter. I might focus on the trees first as I have a unit of sisters built already and then work on them for London Calling...

@Davariel I like the idea of Mohawks for Champions...

@Roostmanuva Thanks, there's a distinct split in opinion on this. I'm increasingly tempted to just do the sergeants to be honest... but maybe thats lazy.

A

• 3 weeks later...

Right, gathering pace for Sheffield Slaughter now that the Hard6.co.uk Blood Bowl Superbowl is over (tune in tomorrow for feedback on that event! And another episode by Friday!)

I managed to get the next unit of Tree Revenants done:

C4gxa9JWEAMDtcq.jpg

C4gxa9YWQAIiALA.jpg

C4gxa9JWEAAkb2c.jpg

C4gxa9KWIAAFpAJ.jpg

So that leaves (minimum, as I want to redo my Sisters of the Thorn and maybe a new Branchwych...)

8 Kurnoth Hunters, 5 Tree Revenants and a few wildwoods... oh and a display board.

I'd also like to do a spell marker for Throne of Vines. I have one already for shield of thorns and Mystic shield, won't need one for regrowth or Treesinging etc. 

I'm thinking I might make a platform with a magnet on top and magnetise the bottom of the Branchwych and Brancwraith's bases so that I don't forget that they can't move with Throne up. I'll see what I can come up with.

More very soon, through necessity

A.

Today has been full of hobby progress, full of highs and lows too. Never thought I'd get ready for Sheffield Slaughter in time... i'm not there yet but at the end of the day I'm beginning to have faith haha!

6 Kurnoth Hunters done (5 today) and 5 Tree Revenants too. I've got 3 more Kurnoth Hunters to finish and a Branchwych. I also wanted to do a new unit of sisters of the thorn but haven't got around to it (hardly a priority with a fully painted unit in the bag already)

Here's today's efforts:

C5I2rwsWQAQZXuw.jpg

C5I2rwuWQAEJVfh.jpg

C5I2rxBWEAAcQqI.jpg

C5I2rxDWIAAEtZX.jpg

Finish line in sight! Although I do actually have to go to work tomorrow...

A

I'm late to the party here, but watching your army's progression from the very beginning. Two things: your painting style is very original, it reminds me of warrior face paint... but on models. Your conversions are uniquely unique... I would love not only to see your WiP's but to also understand your process when I comes to actually deciding on the bits you use for conversions.

excellent blog.

Thanks @Davariel coherency of theme was something I thought was lacking from the stock Sylvaneth models so its nice to see that is being appreciated.

@Lavy not too late! There will probably be some more things on here going forwards. I'm not good at leaving projects alone. With regards to my process for conversions I have spent lots of time trawling through elf sprues and eldar sprues from the last ten or more years and have a good memory for heads and things in particular. Beyond that everything tends to happen fairly organically. 

Speaking of which I did in fact managed to finish my Sylvaneth Sisters of the Thorn in time for Sheffield Slaughter:

C5Z5S2sWcAAp53q.jpg

C5Z5S3AWMAIttht.jpg

C5Z5TZ1WgAA6o_g.jpg

I'm going to do a longer post later on detailing my experiences of the event and I will be covering Sheffield on Hard 6 podcast hard6.co.uk in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

A

'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to @Ben for moving me to the correct place after I listened to the daily podcast about blogs...

Games are going well with the Sylvaneth and I'm looking forward to London Calling, taking everything on the display board in the last post.

I do love Spirit of Durthu but I'm also starting to think about other things I could run instead as he's a bit of a points sink and really goes down hard to mortal wounds.

Hmmm very original conversions. Nice painting too, especially the freehand banners. The oregano on the bases looks very very good.

Personally I think the new Hunters heads are slightly to small and the clump foliage isn't my style. But these are minor things,.

The only big thing I really do not like is Old Durthu's blocky head on the graceful new Drycha body.. it's really a crime in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

And I'm back!

Sorry @Aezeal I missed your post before. Totally respect your opinion although I believe he looks sleeker IRL :) Had a great time at London Calling, came second in painting and my highest ever gaming finish.

I've started working on a mix of Wanderers and Sylvaneth (with a few other woodland denizens thrown in too... looking at you Battlemage and Radiant Allarielle)

This requires a new dragon:

C9jH3PHW0AMU2va.jpg

C9jH3PKWsAAOVGc.jpg

C-M7UkSWAAEVzZm.jpg

C-P9pwyWAAAeF4S.jpg

C-P9p9HXsAAxnfI.jpg

C-P9pwlXoAAxU0H.jpg

C-P-FvsXkAAtRLX.jpg

More to come soon! Glade Lord on Forest Dragon. I've also built the Glade Lord!

A

Finished a couple more Blood Bowl wood elves, which inspired me to do more on my forest dragon:

C-Xh3Q-WsAA_2j8.jpg

C-Xh3WyXoAAC1dq.jpg

C-Xh3a6XYAA8Jjf.jpg

C-Xh3a3XYAAOptv.jpg

And my treeman:

C-YP98sXoAIAWoR.jpg

Team so far:

C-XiC9nXkAIwQ2D.jpg

Here's a few pics of the Glade Lord who's going to be riding my Forest Dragon:

C-YQ778XUAIs_fG.jpg

C-YQ78BXgAAgSLs.jpg

C-YQ77LXsAAv6IU.jpg

I bought myself a Zombie Dragon in order to get wings for my Forest Dragon conversion I'll update with that this week. Maybe some painting progress too.

A

Archived