Hordes or hoax

Arkiham

With ghb17 hordes were meant to be the new thing.

Is this happening? The lists I've seen in tournaments it seems many aren't hordes at all, they're msu or elite units. 

If it's not happening why not?  Painting times? Too unwieldy? Not good enough?  

Thoughts an discussion and experience  are welcome 

Please explain what you expected to happen, it makes the topic clear. :)

As I recall, Facehammer GT was won with a hopping 30 Stormcast unit, gets a nice horde discount. Most Tzeentch and Khorne armies who end up high run the 30 blocks of Daemons. Most armies who do well use the unit size to their advantage.

On the other side we have fleshed out elite armies in AoS and due to most units not having a drastical recosting you end up with often a unit extra and a Battalion less at 2k compaired to GH2016. 

I would imagine, as Vince says, the "#hordemeta"  is new to the scene (hordes have been around since fantasy but have really become viable again since GHB2017) so people that are on board need time to put together a force that utilizes this. It involves buying a lot of models, building a lot of models and painting a lot of models. What I would find amusing (and also slightly infuriating) but is, i believe, a genuine concern for many thinking of plunging head first into a new horde army or increasing the one they have already, is if we all spend 12 months finally getting a horde army built and painted only to find the next GHB release leans more in favour of elite units. As @Killax has already mentioned, FACEHAMMER GT was dominated by what would be seen as horde armies (that and the many amazingly fun loopholes in the Vanguard Wing) so we are definitely seeing a surge of horde focused armies. I for one welcome the change, not because I have horde armies (Closest I ever had to a horde was my Free Guild) currently but because I always wanted a reason to have a horde of undead not dissimilar to that seen in the opening animation by Blizzard for the Wrath of The Lich King expansion to that video game they make that shant be named.

Side note: I have noticed a large increase in small businesses and sole traders selling or 3D printing movement trays now too thanks to everyone not wanting to spend 20 minutes moving 40 FreeGuild Guard or those "tactical movements" (ie just scooping them forward 3 inches) that a garuanteed to be breaking bits off lol.

26 minutes ago, Lucio said:

No one wants to paint 90+ of the same miniature, so are finding ways to use their army effectively, with maybe a single "Horde" unit.

Oh definitely. You can have a solid death army with 1 unit of 40 skeletons. You hold a bit of the horde aesthetic but still have plenty of room in a 2k list for elites.

Some armies are designed around having tons of the same core guys eg ghouls, pestilens, daemons

Ive found 60 is pretty much the top end of how many of the same dudes im willing to paint, so i like that gh17 allows for my usual 3x 20 but also makes 1x 40 and 2x 10 work well - some scenarios really benefit from having a cheap little unit sitting on your home objective scoring points while the bigger units are off fightin!

Hordes are a thing, it's just people are too savvy for the system.

Youre only guna find armies with hordes when it's worth it, such as with elite troops like blightkings, stormcast, daemons and maybe the other extreme with hordes of the cheapest of the cheap.

Gives me a reason to dust off some stuff that's been sitting around since, maybe 7th ed..... Love using big blocks of marauders, and I've got a $h!t ton of them from WHFB days.

As well as warriors and  big demon blocks. Specifically daemonettes and plaqueboys.

Archived