Bloodletters 6's to Hit question

sainted75

Question

Hi, My gaming group have been having a discussion about how the 6's to hit with bloodletters works. We have been rolling to wound on any 6's to hit but with the damage being a mortal wound, is this correct ? or is a 6 to hit an automatic mortal wound. I have been looking for an official line on this but can't find one. Our logic for rolling is based on the spirits hosts, as their wounding says a 6 to hit immediately causes a mortal wound instead of damage, the bloodletters doesn't mention immediately but changes the damage to a mortal wound. 

I would like to know how the tournaments play this rule.

Thanks in advance.

Glen

8 answers to this question

Decapitating Blow: If the hit roll for a Hellblade is 6 or more, that blow inflicts a mortal wound instead of its normal damage.

As above, the moment the hit roll accumulates to 6 or more (which indicates that it does not have to be a natural roll of 6) you stop the further wounding process and inflict a (single) mortal wound instead.

This technically can be a pro and con, but this is how it works out. In most cases it's a pro and it is indeed what makes Bloodletters potentially very lethal.

Someone just asked this question the other day regarding a similar ability.  I will copy what I posted there in order to provide you with the official ruling.

If an ability enables the attack to cause mortal wounds on a hit roll or wound roll then you do not need to make any rolls after the mortal wound is triggered (unless specifically stated otherwise in the abilities rules).

from the 4-page rules under Mortal Wounds:

"Some attacks inflict mortal wounds. Do not make hit, wound or save rolls for a mortal wound – just allocate the wounds to models from the target unit..."

Hi all

Sorry to bring that up again guys but the wording on bloodletters abilities is :

If the hit roll of a hellblade is 6 or more, that blow inflict à mortal wound instead of its normal damage

The instead is quite clear, you inflict the mortal wound when you should inflict the normal damage. But to inflict a normal damage you need to wound ergo you need to wound to inflict the mortal wound.

1 hour ago, Sarhantaï said:

Hi all

Sorry to bring that up again guys but the wording on bloodletters abilities is :

If the hit roll of a hellblade is 6 or more, that blow inflict à mortal wound instead of its normal damage

The instead is quite clear, you inflict the mortal wound when you should inflict the normal damage. But to inflict a normal damage you need to wound ergo you need to wound to inflict the mortal wound.

Absolutely not. Because to inflict 'normal' damage you also have to fail a save roll. Mortal wounds bypass that.

3 hours ago, Sarhantaï said:

Hi all

It wouldn't work like @BaldoBeardo said, the only point of mortal wounds is to bypass the regular attackorder.

I think the main problem is, that GW didn't really cared about the right word choice here. Most of these Abilites causing mortal wounds are as old as Age of Sigmar itself.

It would be more clearer if all these rules would have the wording of the rule Judgement from Afar of the Tzaangor Skyfires.

Judgement from Afar: ... If the hit roll for a Greatbow's Arrow of Fate is a 6 or more, the attack sequence ends and the target immediatly suffers D3 mortal wounds

The point is, that when we look at the Rule for "Hit Rolls" we have the same wording there.

1. Hit Roll: Roll a dice. If the roll equals or beats the attacking weapon's To Hit characteristic, then it scores a hit and you must make a wound roll. If not, the attack fails and the attack sequence ends.

Actually don't know why they didn't changed it during later publications (after the Blades of Khorne Battletome is newer than Disciples of Tzeench for example where my quote is coming from.

5 hours ago, Sarhantaï said:

Hi all

You may think the intent is entirely clear, but in every tournament setting I have ever seen 6+ to hits for bloodletters cause mortal wounds with no further rolling. (And this is the basis for the tried-and-true "bloodletter bombs"  that are VERY commonplace in Khorne armies). If you think otherwise your are in the extreme minority.  If it was just a simple matter of not allowing a save roll, but still requiring a to wound roll, they would not have referred to it as mortal wounds.

I'm sorry but this interpretation of the rules is no longer reasonably debatable amongst veteran players. It's akin to telling hundreds of players that they have all been doing it wrong for years. 

1 hour ago, annarborhawk said:

If it was just a simple matter of not allowing a save roll, but still requiring a to wound roll, they would not have referred to it as mortal wounds.

Yeah, in such a case I think they would give the Weapon a very high Rend (-6 or so) or would make a special rule or make the wound roll the requiring instead of the hit roll.

Archived