Celestial hurricanum + Vanguard Raptors

Erdemo86

Hey guys, does anyone tested to play a celestial hurricanum in a aetherstrike list? Think its vers cheesy but could be very competitive in this skyfire meta. Here the list i was thinking of:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (320)
Knight-Azyros (80)
Knight-Venator (120)
Knight-Heraldor (120)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (80)

Total: 2000/2000

Its very shooty mortal wounds list. You get +1 to hit from the hurricanum, so the raptors will make 2 mw at 5+. The hurricanum will do 1 d6 mw with his spell and some mw with his ranged atack. Also the heraldor will throw some mw out. Thanks to the battalion bonus we will shoot in the hero phase and shoot if some units of the battallion are destroyed. Also the aetherwings can move and protect the raptors if someone trys to carge at the raptors and attack again if the aetherwings get destroyed. The gryph hound will guard us from alpha strikes.

Maybe removing the heraldor and liberators to add 1 more judicators and something else but dunno what.

Leaders
Knight-Azyros (80)
Knight-Venator (120)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
3 x Waywatchers (80)
3 x Waywatchers (80)

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (80)

The 5 up mortal wounds are nice, but also the Hurricanes hitting on a 3 up and Judicators on a 2 up will do some work.

Only hit this takes is losing staunch Defender for the +1 save, but the extra hits would make up for this. Nice list.

2 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Leaders
Knight-Azyros (80)
Knight-Venator (120)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
3 x Waywatchers (80)
3 x Waywatchers (80)

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (80)

feel like you should keep the gryph hound cause deep strike will DESTROY you

This compared  to the classic  list has some  major cons. No doubt the +1 to hit turns  the whole  thing  into a killing machine. But you are losing your ability to protect  your squishy  raptors. You Could mystic  shield  them  and put  them in terrain  to give them the classic  2+ save but this seems unreliable. 

Your missing  the -1 hit from  protectors  and the reroll  6 to hit from castellant. Staunch  defender helps  you stay protected  even if you move.

Against  skyfires  this will  auto  lose i think.

Same  with Kunnin lists. 240 shots  will kill  them without  the -1 hit and reroll  6 to hit. 

Question  is what is gained  and what is lost . I doubt  the +1 to hit  will do much. Outside of stormcast  unkillable  tanky units  are kind of rare. So  the need for mortal  wounds  is slighty reduced. + they have a base -2 rend.

My thoughts.

In short The biggest  weakness  of aetherstrike  is it's weak objective  game. And the squishyness of the raptors. Trading  +1 to hit vs -1 to be hit and the rerolls  and the extra mobility  seems  bad. Against  lists Who cannot  shoot  death / melee  khorne  lists.  Hurricanum  will be better. 

I'm not an aetherstrike player, so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

I tend to agree with @Thor, and would add that the Hurricanum is a huge model that is very difficult to hide. Against massed long ranged shooting they can pretty easily take out your Hurricanum, and then you are in quite a bit of trouble. I've been theorycrafting a lot of mixed order gunline type lists with hurricanum and keep coming back to this point. The +1 to hit is fantastic, but it's also a 300+ point bullseye with only medium defense.

5 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

@Thor what is the classic list? Can you show it?

Leaders
Knight-Azyros (80)
- Artefact: Mirrorshield 
Knight-Venator (120)
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Mirrorshield 
- Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Prayer: Lightning Chariot

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (80)

This - give or take 

Units  to be shuffled   are relictor  and Gryph  Hound  in favor  of a heraldor  or veritant  or a unit  of 12 instead  of 9. 

Edit  ; no Mirrorshield  on castellant, on Venator  instead 

First of all, that mystic light count as artefact and you only can take 2 not 3. Second i dont know what that protectors will do for you and is it worth 200 points? Why 2 gryph hounds i think 1 is enough. And last why the relictor? Lightning chariot? Who you want teleport?

9 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

First of all, that mystic light count as artefact and you only can take 2 not 3. Second i dont know what that protectors will do for you and is it worth 200 points? Why 2 gryph hounds i think 1 is enough. And last why the relictor? Lightning chariot? Who you want teleport?

Hey :) yeah slight  mistake  with  the Mirrorshield. You mustave  missed  my Edit. You park your protectors  in front  of whatever ranged  damage is comming  your way  ( kunnin ) Gryph  hounds  are there  to deal  with alpha  strike. It's a unit  to be shuffled  around  if skyrer or other alpha strike  don't  see play  then exhange for whatever. As mentioned. Lightning  Chariot  is awesome. One  of the weaknesses  of the Aetherstrike is That you don't have alot  of options  to secure  objectives. The Chariot  helps in this case . It can also be used  offensivly. Depending  on the matchup  teleportIn  your shooty  units in range of key  targets  ( DoT shamans) will  help you secure  victory. Your opponent will try to keep  his  key units  outside  of the 30inch  range of Your longstrikes.

it's simply helps  against  a lot of thing. 

2 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

But hey man. I'm not the author of the list theres room for change. I think celestial hurricanum is an awesome model with good rules and it might do well in aetherstrike in a less  competetive enviroment.

But looking  at recent  tournament lists with skyfires and Kunnin i doubt  it will do well against those. 

8 hours ago, Collyc said:

The 5 up mortal wounds are nice, but also the Hurricanes hitting on a 3 up and Judicators on a 2 up will do some work.

Only hit this takes is losing staunch Defender for the +1 save, but the extra hits would make up for this. Nice list.

You lose more than just Staunch Defender. You also lose access to Mirrorshield to keep your Azyros alive to keep activating the battalion ability, Battleline Judicators, Lantern of the Tempest to drastically reduce shooting damage (when combined with 1 or 2 units of Protectors), Lightning Chariot to teleport your aetherwings forward or save your Raptors in a pinch, and Scions of the Storm to teleport liberators directly onto objectives.

I have tried to make the CH work with Aetherstrike but have always found the Stormcast Allegiance to be more valuable. Aetherstrike does crazy amounts of damage, adding a CH is just a "win more" option and you are better off shoring up your weaknesses rather than boosting your already formidable damage.

19 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I'm not an aetherstrike player, so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

I tend to agree with @Thor, and would add that the Hurricanum is a huge model that is very difficult to hide. Against massed long ranged shooting they can pretty easily take out your Hurricanum, and then you are in quite a bit of trouble. I've been theorycrafting a lot of mixed order gunline type lists with hurricanum and keep coming back to this point. The +1 to hit is fantastic, but it's also a 300+ point bullseye with only medium defense.

On the otherhand.. if they HAVE that kind of shooting (doing 10 wounds or more?) then they could probably also have completely whiped out a few units of raptors :D

Archived