Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For more specific links at this chaotic time:

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/age_of_sigmar_the_rules_en-1.pdf

Q: Are all units designated ‘Only one of these may be included
in a Pitched Battle army’ classed as named characters (for
example, Exalted Greater Daemons, of which there are more
than one)?
A: No – they are only named characters if the model
represents a specific, singular character.

1 minute ago, Killax said:

Yep! Have fun with your Forgeworld model! Though that awnser remains a bit too vague as a cover all. I hope that will stop some day in AoS.

its vague so it covers all models in similar postions, now and in the future

And now it is settled from the FAQs.

"Q: Are all units designated ‘Only one of these may be included in a Pitched Battle army’ classed as named characters (for example, Exalted Greater Daemons, of which there are more than one)? A: No – they are only named characters if the model represents a specific, singular character."

;)

Edit -- Whooops nevermind, it was already posted. Congrats and good job to those who brought this issue up.

52 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

That’s a nice boost for the EGUO, but can anyone see themselves using him in place of the bell/blade GUO? I really want to but that early burst of speed is so nice...

Had a brief discussion with a mate of mine who does play Maggotkin of Nurgle and to me the only conclusion so far is that the regular GUO is just a better support piece. 

The Exalted GUO on the other hand seems to have the advantage for melee purposes though. With this I mean that indeed the regular GUO should have the bell and else you can seriously consider this one instead.

Due to costs involved though and the awesomeness of GW's GUO I'd use GW's nine out of ten times instead. The shooting attacks of the EGUO are better and so is his armour but other than that the regular GUO offers more tactical flexability in my opinion. This comes forth out of 340 points vs 500 in a faction that does have acces to cheap swarms (Clan Pestilens/Slaves to Darkness)but also rewards Attrition very well.

I played a 1k point game against my friend's Stormcast, we're both pretty new so forgot a lot of things, but attrition saw me winning (a basic meat grinder battle) thanks to the Great Unclean One's impressive regeneration with The Endless Gift. I gave him the bell and the flail, though I found his output against Retributors quite lacking (although in the end the horde of nurglings on his weapon profile offed the final Retributor, which was amusing)

I have been thinking a lot about GUO builds. I ran the Massive Sword / Flail combo at a one day event over the weekend. His output wasn't great. He suffers from poor dice moments not unlike the Demon Prince. If he were by some damned terrain or something that would have helped. Maybe the Demonic Power spell to allow for re-rolls of 1s. I am starting to feel the support GUO more. His magic use was far more important than his combat contributions in each game. I want him to be a terror in combat, but he just isn't consistent enough to be. 

Yeah, his magic is vile when it pops off, and that makes the Bileblade important - Sumptuous Pestilence and Plague Wind deal plenty of damage - the damage you do with his weapons seems like a bonus to tying up people for multiple turns, and Grandfather's Joy is great (when you remember to cast it)

Do all GUOs get it, or just the general?

2 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

Yeah, his magic is vile when it pops off, and that makes the Bileblade important - Sumptuous Pestilence and Plague Wind deal plenty of damage - the damage you do with his weapons seems like a bonus to tying up people for multiple turns, and Grandfather's Joy is great (when you remember to cast it)

Do all GUOs get it, or just the general?

Only the General can use Grandfather's joy. Its a command ability. I LOVE it. Fired that and Blades off at every opportunity. A 5 fly unit of Drones with +2A, Blades, and the +1 wound reroll from the Cycle was able to delete a 40 man block of buffed up Tzeentch Marauders in one turn. 

4 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I have been thinking a lot about GUO builds. I ran the Massive Sword / Flail combo at a one day event over the weekend. His output wasn't great. He suffers from poor dice moments not unlike the Demon Prince. If he were by some damned terrain or something that would have helped. Maybe the Demonic Power spell to allow for re-rolls of 1s. I am starting to feel the support GUO more. His magic use was far more important than his combat contributions in each game. I want him to be a terror in combat, but he just isn't consistent enough to be. 

That's where the eguo comes in. People keep asking if he is worth the extra 160. YES he is. Resoundingly. If you want him to deal damage. But if you want a support character and spell caster go for GUO. That's his role. 

8 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Only the General can use Grandfather's joy. Its a command ability. I LOVE it. Fired that and Blades off at every opportunity. A 5 fly unit of Drones with +2A, Blades, and the +1 wound reroll from the Cycle was able to delete a 40 man block of buffed up Tzeentch Marauders in one turn. 

I have been using GF joy and horticulous as an awesome combo with the drones. He activates the locus. Doesn't have a shooting attack so he can always run to keep up with them. he can tank like a mother effer! 3+/5++ and 8 wounds! Also can drop down a gnarlmaw right at the right time to make the drones be able to run and charge if need be. He also is a reliable healer for them as they always have at least one fly with damage on them! 

8 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I have been using GF joy and horticulous as an awesome combo with the drones. He activates the locus. Doesn't have a shooting attack so he can always run to keep up with them. he can tank like a mother effer! 3+/5++ and 8 wounds! Also can drop down a gnarlmaw right at the right time to make the drones be able to run and charge if need be. He also is a reliable healer for them as they always have at least one fly with damage on them! 

Oooh I like this idea. I was thinking Lord of Afflictions if not Horticulus. But big snail wins out in 'my army needs it' department!

9 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Oooh I like this idea. I was thinking Lord of Afflictions if not Horticulus. But big snail wins out in 'my army needs it' department!

Thats not a bad choice either, He probably does more damage overall. But horty also is a decent source of rend (which the drones have almost none of.. just the stings). It just seems to fit to. He was able to retreat and kill off the last of a unit that was holding down the drones.. then they were able to move and charge another unit holding an objective. I know he directly buffs beasts.. I just dont enjoy the rules or playstyle of them. So I decided to toss him in with some angry beasts (from the fluff) and see how it worked. So far hasnt been a drain... other than saving 60 points by  just tossing a demon prince (who never seems to do ANYTHING for me!) with them.

29 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I have been using GF joy and horticulous as an awesome combo with the drones. He activates the locus.

This is a big deal. The flies getting out of locus range is a drag. Maybe its time for me to bring the Demon Prince back? Horti is a good pick, although I usually avoid special characters for personal aesthetic reasons. I had mine flying around the front of my lines, but still had issues getting Heralds or whatever where they needed to be thanks to poor run roles. 

Archived