Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

2 hours ago, Killax said:

I think cards for the Contagion Points Table, was the case for Khorne's Blood Tithe points too :) 

This way, with the Blightwar wheel and cards your basically set for all the administration you've got to do ;) 

Ah yes, that would be nice! Either way I’ll be on standby at 9.55 ready to order to get those cards - they sell out fast! It’ll probably just be the tome and the tree for my order until I read the book and decide whether to mix Daemons and Rotbringers or go all Rotbringers- I’ve already got a small Rotbringers force started.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With excitement for the Maggotkin of Nurgle Battletome  building, I’d thought I share a group photo of some of my Rotbringers and Mortal Nurgle force. They are called The Diviners of the Red Stench. I’ve done another 5 Blightkings since this photo was taken and I think this release will give me a much needed motivation boost!?

103102C1-DC47-432E-9455-EAECEC89FD32.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Percivael said:

With excitement for the Maggotkin of Nurgle Battletome  building, I’d thought I share a group photo of some of my Rotbringers and Mortal Nurgle force. They are called The Diviners of the Red Stench. I’ve done another 5 Blightkings since this photo was taken and I think this release will give me a much needed motivation boost!?

I love how vibrant it is. I'm really trying to wrap my head around  good color scheme for my Maggotkin. I would never copy, but I find a lot of inspiration in what you've got there.

2 hours ago, Killax said:

Now from my perspective the only thing that's a bit odd is the surges of speed for Nurgle units but I'm sure it's explained in one way or another in the Maggotkin Battletome. As this part is actually very new and most of the time the focus was put on attrition. If anything I also wouldn't have expected Nurgle units to be capable of moving as fast as they can now :) But the same applies for the 40K tree. Gotta go fast!

Yeah that speed is a bit odd thematically despite being much needed! Gameplaywise I have come to believe that GW decided to deal with the problems of shooting being to strong in AOS not by nerfing shooting or scenery rules as many were crying out for, but instead they gave all non shooter armies some sort of teleportation, strong summoning or speed. Nurgle has a bit of both now.

1 hour ago, Percivael said:

An individual after my own heart colour wise! (See my candyrot coven for example).

So small review of what's been available so far.

As discussed the tree looks fantastic, seems like a great piece to have altogether and Im happy 3 as a kit are available as a pre-order. This way you can get it (if you have the cash) and pretty much be set for the game altogether. The Feculent Gnarlmaw feels like a free Bloodstoker so I really like it. 

Rotigus to me as discussed before is an amazing backfield (relevant because Contagion points) sniper and he still is hitting hard enough in melee too. 340 points might seem like much for sucha  backfielder but at the same time I think it's worth the effort. Cannons/snipers are alternatives too but those usually are easier to kill also. This should stick around.

The most fun really comes with the Great Unclean Ones offcourse. So many awesome options to choose from! The dagger gives some cool dispell boost for a Mortal wound on him, the Doomsday Bell is fantastic support but does mean your going down a lot of notches for melee output. All in all Grandfather's Joy is just fantastic and so is Plague Wind really.
I personally think that the Feculent Gnarlmaw will be enough movement boost to just smash with the massive sword and flail. Fantastic dude overall.

I can't really find any pre-order goodies though. Perhaps later? Idk. What is nice is that the GUO is ideal for magnetizing:

99129915045_GreatUncleanOne09.jpg

2 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Killax. Is the Poxbringer the current Herald or is he the guy dancing with all the scrolls? I dig the new GUO rules bigtime. Mine got nuked in a game way too easily last night. 

Poxbringer is the current standard non-named Herald :) He got a bit renamed basically!

GUO with massive sword and flail is ready to kick some units in the face for sure! While laughing :P 

I'm very happy that the GUO model is up to new greater demon standards. I have a kitbash one that I love, but he is halfway between the original GUO and the new one in size. Replacing my creation with a crappy model would have sucked. I'll have to find something cool to do with my current fat-papa. 

16 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I'm very happy that the GUO model is up to new greater demon standards. I have a kitbash one that I love, but he is halfway between the original GUO and the new one in size. Replacing my creation with a crappy model would have sucked. I'll have to find something cool to do with my current fat-papa. 

Yeah hes pretty much the hardest hitting all things considered.

The beauty is that he is also even tougher to kill as meets the eye here.

1. We don't know the full spectrum of Artefacts he has acces to.
2. We know he can improve his output further through Command Traits.
3. Cast Mystic Shield on him.
4. Choose which units wants those additional attacks, he's not a bad choice for that either.
5. Snipe characters and units with Plague Winds.

This is all very cool, very potent and a very good General in the making.

Absolutely. I don't hate the current GUO warscroll, but this was a very needed update. The Command Trait is fantastic. Park this guy behind a unit of the Blightking-flys (forgot what their name is) and he can buff them and keep them healed up with Plague Winds. If he needs to get into combat they can dart out of the way (maybe with a +3 to their move).

I'm a little disappointed with the tree tbh... No where near as good as the sylvaneth trees and the hype they put on it saying you'll want multiples of them. 

1 maybe 2 trees max. By the time you could get a third it's uses are going to be irrelevant as youll be across the board and 1 mortal wound per unit on a 4+? Meh what ever I'll not even notice it.

The run and charge is handy, but I can't see it being game changing later on when you could summon a 2nd or 3rd.

3 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Absolutely. I don't hate the current GUO warscroll, but this was a very needed update. The Command Trait is fantastic. Park this guy behind a unit of the Blightking-flys (forgot what their name is) and he can buff them and keep them healed up with Plague Winds. If he needs to get into combat they can dart out of the way (maybe with a +3 to their move).

Yeah I like both GUO and Rotigus design because they are so different in role. The GUO really is a forward playing model which in all actuality isn't as slow if you consider the Blight Tree or even go for the Bell option that is much better as on first sight because... well... speed matters a lot.

In my opinion every GD should be on compairable levels and now the GUO is truely a terror in itself too. Rotigus on the backfield ****** over characters per definition is going to be a strong choice for his 340 points. Again I believe it's so strong it's allowing Nurgle armies to be there competitively. 

When the GUO is played aggressively he can first support the Plaguebearers with loads of attacks and snipe/heal through them also. For the wallet magnetizing this puppy will be a good plan.

2 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

I'm a little disappointed with the tree tbh... No where near as good as the sylvaneth trees and the hype they put on it saying you'll want multiples of them. 

1 maybe 2 trees max. By the time you could get a third it's uses are going to be irrelevant as youll be across the board and 1 mortal wound per unit on a 4+? Meh what ever I'll not even notice it.

The run and charge is handy, but I can't see it being game changing later on when you could summon a 2nd or 3rd.

It's one of the few ways to protect non-GD characters, to me this is very relevant from the getgo. In addition the Corruption Point table will likely revolve around them. 

Better put it's too early to be dissapointed in them. 

6 minutes ago, FRoper said:

with the great unclean one, I am right to say that you can have a doombell and a plague flail. as I believe that would be the best combination

Could very well be, do think your leaving a lot of potential damage at home without the sword but if you do want to have the best of all worlds certainly go for Bell and Flail. Especially for Blightking on Drones bombs.

1 minute ago, Arkiham said:

True, we don't have everything revealed yet, just was expecting more from what they suggested.

I understand!

Some other stuff (basically lots of neat stuff but not too many Battalion choices still):

In the 104-page hardback Battletome: Maggotkin of Nurgle, you’ll find:

- Grandfather Nurgle: disturbingly cheerful background information on the most plaguesome of Chaos Gods, delving into his fraught relationship with the other gods, his hideous and bloated physical form and his obsession with the lush, inexhaustible cornucopia of Ghyran;
- The Garden of Nurgle: a horribly detailed description of Nurgle’s domain within the Realm of Chaos;
- Details of the Daemons of Nurgle, from Plaguebearers to Great Unclean Ones, describing their foul methods of war, along with descriptions of Nurgle’s vast armies of mortal followers;
- Armies of the Plague God: the organisation and structure of Nurgle’s armies – the Plague Legions and the Rotbringer Contagiums;
- Warbands of the Plague God: descriptions, sigils and colour schemes for 6 specific Nurgle warbands – The Munificent Wanderers, The Befouling Host, The Droning Guard, The Blessed Sons, The Drowned Men and the Filthbringers;
- Annals of Entropy: a timeline of significant battles and events in the history of Nurgle’s forces;
- Detailed background on the forces available to Nurgle, including mortals and daemons;
- A showcase of beautifully-painted Citadel miniatures, with an example Maggotkin army.

Rules

All the rules you need in order to get your Maggotkin army ready for the gaming table are here:

- 24 Warscrolls, covering mortal and daemon followers alike;
- Allegiance Abilities representing the foul gifts that Nurgle’s patronage bestows – including the Cycle of Corruption, a table of filthy boons that will prove advantageous; the Garden of Nurgle, featuring rules for Feculent Gnarlmaws; and rules for summoning daemons using accrued Contagion Points;
- Command Traits for Rotbringers, daemon and mortal followers – 6 each;
- Artefacts of Power for Rotbringers, daemon and mortal followers – 6 each;
- The Lores of Nurgle: spells for daemon and mortal Nurgle wizards, including Foul Regenesis, a spell known by all Nurgle wizards; Lore of Malignance – 3 spells available to any Rotbringer wizard; Lore of Virulence – 3 spells available to any Nurgle daemon Wizard; and Lore of Foulness – 3 spells available to any Nurgle mortal wizard;
- Rules for creating a Nurgle warband to use in a Path to Glory campaign, including Followers Rewards Table, Champion Rewards Table and Patronage of Nurgle Tables (featuring lesser, greater and exalted rewards);
- A specific Battleplan – Seeds of Corruption – for use with Maggotkin armies;
- 8 Warscroll Battalions conferring advantages for fielding certain combinations of models;
- Pitched Battle Profiles for all units featured in this Battletome, including unit sizes, points values and battlefield roles.

Gives some ideas of what's up soon:
60020201017_MaggotkinofNurgleEssentialsE

I think that a caster/buffer guo will be waaay stronger than a cc version.

1) flail and massive bilesword scale negatively with damage taken. Bell+sword is not

2) being able to almost double the speed of plaguebearers is incredibly strong

3) a +1 to cast is nothing to sneeze at considering the new lore and the possibility of casting MS with 5+.

Probably when you hit the last few wounds you will regret to choose the flail/bilesword since with not many wounds remaining they are possibly even less effective than bell+sword and without All the benefits

I'm feeling the buff/magic GUO personally. He's not a slouch in combat but will contribute more in the earlier game turns. +1 cast is a big deal, and the wounds he takes will likely be negligible due to his regen (assuming I understand how that works - I don't like the wording of that rule). 

Well the great thing about the design is that both options are there. I personally think that it matters the most on army context. Sometimes you want that additional movement bubble, sometimes you don't. The thing is that he has to move with the other units too in order to ensure they keep up. This is good/alright but the moment you pick the bell he goes from a 340 point melee monster to a 340 point litteral punching bag.

So the choice is really there. Yes movement is good but it's not like there is a lack of it in the army otherwise. A free tree fixes this part and so does Sloppity :) But that's the best part of the design, both are worthy considerations. Same for the dagger too if your up against Magic heavy armies.

18 minutes ago, Killax said:

Well the great thing about the design is that both options are there. I personally think that it matters the most on army context. Sometimes you want that additional movement bubble, sometimes you don't. The thing is that he has to move with the other units too in order to ensure they keep up. This is good/alright but the moment you pick the bell he goes from a 340 point melee monster to a 340 point litteral punching bag.

So the choice is really there. Yes movement is good but it's not like there is a lack of it in the army otherwise. A free tree fixes this part and so does Sloppity :) But that's the best part of the design, both are worthy considerations. Same for the dagger too if your up against Magic heavy armies.

True, good point about getting the movement support elsewhere, that could unlock the flail for a bit more of an all-rounder. 

Archived